• Most new users don't bother reading our rules. Here's the one that is ignored almost immediately upon signup: DO NOT ASK FOR FANEDIT LINKS PUBLICLY. First, read the FAQ. Seriously. What you want is there. You can also send a message to the editor. If that doesn't work THEN post in the Trade & Request forum. Anywhere else and it will be deleted and an infraction will be issued.
  • If this is your first time here please read our FAQ and Rules pages. They have some useful information that will get us all off on the right foot, especially our Own the Source rule. If you do not understand any of these rules send a private message to one of our staff for further details.
  • Please read our Rules & Guidelines

Star Wars: The Old Republic

Q2

Staff member
Faneditor
Reaction score
Trophy Points
Here is the cinematic intro for the soon-to-be-released Star Wars MMO, The Old Republic.

STANKPAC

Faneditor
Reaction score
Trophy Points
Looks great! Saw this during the E3 coverage going on this week. :D

Aztek463

Faneditor
Cover Artist
Reaction score
Trophy Points
This is supposed to be coming out by the end of the year, and I must say, I'm looking forward to it! :D

lpd

Reaction score
Trophy Points
These people should be allowed to make a full movie.
Someone should start a pettition.
The cinematic trailers are amazing.

Sunarep

Faneditor
Reaction score
Trophy Points
lpd said:
These people should be allowed to make a full movie.
Someone should start a pettition.
The cinematic trailers are amazing.

I think it is curious that the reception is so overwhelmingly positive - don't get me wrong I think they look nice as well and the backstory will probably fleshed out but it is still a difference if you make a trailer for a game or a film

I'm betting you a million peggats that had george lucas released the very same clip people would complain about the following:

characters are one-dimensional
there is no emotional struggle other than "he's bad we're good"
shamelessly cashing in on our nostalgia by using phrases like "fastest ship ... yada"
over the top style over substance

the list goes on

While I agree that all cinematic trailers were nice teaser the language of PC-intros and movies is still a different one and as a movie this would turn out the same as the prequels

lpd

Reaction score
Trophy Points
Thats me told!:-(
I dont agree.
I like and watch "The Clone Wars" cg cartoons and I do enjoy them, not all, but most.
I realise the animation and look of this series is stylised to look the way it does, but personally would have prefered it to look and feel like these trailers.
I also feel if a movie of this were made it wouldnt have the same feeling of WTF a lot of us got from the PT as it as movie story lines "canon" as it were are unexplored, there a basicaly no characters from the movies we know in these stories so it opens up a whole world of opportunities to explore the Star Wars universe further.

Sunarep

Faneditor
Reaction score
Trophy Points
lpd said:
Thats me told!:-(
I dont agree.
I like and watch "The Clone Wars" cg cartoons and I do enjoy them, not all, but most.
I realise the animation and look of this series is stylised to look the way it does, but personally would have prefered it to look and feel like these trailers.
I also feel if a movie of this were made it wouldnt have the same feeling of WTF a lot of us got from the PT as it as movie story lines "canon" as it were are unexplored, there a basicaly no characters from the movies we know in these stories so it opens up a whole world of opportunities to explore the Star Wars universe further.

I think CW is the closest we got to nailing anakin/obi wan - or more to speak asohka/anakin is how their relation should have developed in the PT imho
I'm pretty sure old republic will have an amazing storyline - i mean Kotor and kotor 2 are in my eyes more worthy of being called star wars prequels so i think it will be the same here - still when people rave about those scenes which are basically just a bunch of overstylized action scenes it strikes me as a bit off

sure they look amazing but I think they only work because they are a game and in a game we want to go to the limit and not care about physics that much (see force unleashed) - why? it is more fun

Omaru1982

Reaction score
Trophy Points
I'm just incredibly sore over KOTOR's rush job and then a complete lack of closure for people who had played the first 2 bu t don't want to play online to conclude the story.

Still that's why bioware went out there and did mass effect instead :/

Sunarep

Faneditor
Reaction score
Trophy Points
I am curious how they will manage the "first storydriven MMORPG" angle... will be an interesting experiment but I doubt I'll play since I'm not really a gamer

I still think it's a pity that Kotor 2 was such a rushed job - storywise it had more and better stuff going on but the execution was so choppy it was incredible

Q2

Staff member
Faneditor
Reaction score
Trophy Points
Omaru1982 said:
I'm just incredibly sore over KOTOR's rush job and then a complete lack of closure for people who had played the first 2 bu t don't want to play online to conclude the story.

Still that's why bioware went out there and did mass effect instead :/

I didn't think KOTOR was rushed, but the second one definitely was. Is that the one you were referring to? If so, then that was Obsidian, not Bioware.

And Mass Effect is an amazing series. :)

lpd

Reaction score
Trophy Points
Well I think a movie of these would be great :p in 3d too!

Q2

Staff member
Faneditor
Reaction score
Trophy Points
Woo-hoo! I'm in the beta and already up to level 6! Unfortunately, due to the NDA, I can't talk about it. :(

Aztek463

Faneditor
Cover Artist
Reaction score
Trophy Points
I pre-ordered this as soon as it was available. I'm very much looking forward to this. Hope you're enjoying it, TC. :D

Top Bottom