• Most new users don't bother reading our rules. Here's the one that is ignored almost immediately upon signup: DO NOT ASK FOR FANEDIT LINKS PUBLICLY. First, read the FAQ. Seriously. What you want is there. You can also send a message to the editor. If that doesn't work THEN post in the Trade & Request forum. Anywhere else and it will be deleted and an infraction will be issued.
  • If this is your first time here please read our FAQ and Rules pages. They have some useful information that will get us all off on the right foot, especially our Own the Source rule. If you do not understand any of these rules send a private message to one of our staff for further details.
  • Please read our Rules & Guidelines

Star Wars - The Force Awakens (SPOILERS Thread)

Q2

Staff member
Faneditor
Reaction score
Trophy Points
For those that have seen SW7 and want to discuss in greater depth feel free to do so here. This thread is for SPOILERS, so if you're avoiding spoilers go here instead.

Neglify

Reaction score
Trophy Points
I don't see what's wrong with using Spoiler Tags.

Q2

Staff member
Faneditor
Reaction score
Trophy Points
Because they annoy me so there. :p

(Really, it's more about trying to prevent the inevitable spoiler slip up someone might have.)

Zarius

Faneditor
Reaction score
Trophy Points
Just got back from it.

Alright. Just alright. Not the ideal return to form I wanted, but a servicable launching platform that sticks to the basics.

A lot of it was New Hope 2.0 so I wasn't that invested in the Starkiller Base stuff and the final assault on it did not feel like it had any scope, it felt like a routine mission. Snoke looked terrible, worse than a lot of the CGI Lucas used. Kylo's facial reveal should have been saved for when Han confronted him on the bridge. Dameron is bigged up as a huge deal by people but outside of the Tie Fighter escape he really did'nt come alive as a character to me, and his escape from the crash and how he got off Jakuu was lazily glossed over.

Is it me or did Kylo remind anyone of the apprentice of Jafar from the Aladdin cartoon back in the 90s?

The worst bit with the skirmish with the raiders and the tentacle things on the freighter. Awful amount of padding that you could easily edit out

And there was some elements of the trailer that didn't make it into the movie.

njvc

Faneditor
Reaction score
Trophy Points
I agree re cutting the tentacle monsters scene, but not re Kylo's reveal. His reveal with Rey is one of the best scenes in the film imo. But there are a few other things i will cut, such as the needless and distracting callbacks to things like parsecs and trash compactors, and also cutting the super convenient earthquake after the lightsaber duel. Would like to cut Snoke but don't think it's possible. Hopefully there are some quality deleted scenes too.

TM2YC

Take Me To Your Cinema
Staff member
Donor
Faneditor
Reaction score
Trophy Points
Just returning from my second screening and I'm not sure I'm ready to nitpick just yet, because I'm still feeling so damn grateful to everyone involved with the movie that this wasn't the prequels all over again ;-). So some of my favourite things...

- The bit where Rey used the force to take Luke's Lightsaber away from Ren. Proper Excalibur goosebumps sh*t!
- Rey and Finn and the actors who played them generally.
- BB-8 was brilliantly "puppeteered". The way his head quivered with fear, or slid to the side in a sarcastic way etc. To get that much emotion out of a pudding bowl on top of a basketball was excellent.
- I looked "badass" up in the dictionary and it just had a screengrab of that closeup of Mark Hamill's face with his long hair and beard looking all amazing. Cannot wait to see the possible training sequences with Rey in the next movie.
- Ren's "Broadsaber". I had my doubts when I first saw the trailer. But after feeling the crackle, hearing the buzz and seeing how right it looked, I'm ignoring any logic arguments against it and just loving it.
- Snook: What a great idea to have him be this gigantic twisted thing staring down down like an Evil Abe Lincoln.
- Love that we got dropped right in the middle of an ongoing story with barely any backstory to fill in the gap since ROTJ and only 50% of everything was explained by the time the credits rolled. Some might mis-label it as "plotholes" *sigh*, I call it mystery.

ManicGuy1989

Reaction score
Trophy Points
Loved it loved it loved it.... mostly.

I agree 100% about the weird tenticle monsters on the falcon. They also completely wasted the dudes from The Raid in that scene I think?

My only other complain is the New Hope throwbacks/parallels/rehashes... it all got a bit much towards the end.

ALL the new cast are fantastic! I've only seen it once so far... Did Phasma escape at the end? She better have otherwise that character was completely wasted.

I got chills seeing Luke again! Cannot wait for Ep8! Need to see it again to get my feelings straight! :p

njvc

Faneditor
Reaction score
Trophy Points
TM2YC said:
Just returning from my second screening and I'm not sure I'm ready to nitpick just yet, because I'm still feeling so damn grateful to everyone involved with the movie that this wasn't the prequels all over again ;-). So some of my favourite things...

- The bit where Rey used the force to take Luke's Lightsaber away from Ren. Proper Excalibur goosebumps sh*t!
- Rey and Finn and the actors who played them generally.
- BB-8 was brilliantly "puppeteered". The way his head quivered with fear, or slid to the side in a sarcastic way etc. To get that much emotion out of a pudding bowl on top of a basketball was excellent.
- I looked "badass" up in the dictionary and it just had a screengrab of that closeup of Mark Hamill's face with his long hair and beard looking all amazing. Cannot wait to see the possible training sequences with Rey in the next movie.
- Ren's "Broadsaber". I had my doubts when I first saw the trailer. But after feeling the crackle, hearing the buzz and seeing how right it looked, I'm ignoring any logic arguments against it and just loving it.
- Snook: What a great idea to have him be this gigantic twisted thing staring down down like an Evil Abe Lincoln.
- Love that we got dropped right in the middle of an ongoing story with barely any backstory to fill in the gap since ROTJ and only 50% of everything was explained by the time the credits rolled. Some might mis-label it as "plotholes" *sigh*, I call it mystery.

Great to hear you enjoyed it so much TM2YC. I agree on most fronts, but struggled with Snoke. I really felt his CG look felt out of place with the practical look of the rest of the film. I don't mind projecting him to be so big, but why the gollum-esque CG look? Would have been just as effective and intimidating if a constumed character in my opinion. Same goes for Maz, although I understand the Yoda call back there.

dangermouse

Faneditor
Reaction score
Trophy Points
I agree with TM2YC. Snoke, by the way, was a projection. I initially also thought something out of the Hobbit had landed in Star Wars - until the lights flashed off an I was oh, he's a hologram! That explains the CG look. Because nothing else looked CG!
I loved all the references particularly because they made sense in-universe. These are legends these people have grown up with (just like us, the audience!) and so they KNOW them. Finn's grinning reference about a trash compactor made perfect sense. If YOU were on a mission with Han Solo on a Death Star-a-like, wouldn't YOU suggest sending someone down a garbage chute into a trash compactor, particularly if you'd been a janitor!! Oh yeah!
I loved the humour too, particulalry:
"How we're going to disable the shield?
"We'll use the Force!!"
"That's NOT how you use the Force"
rrrraaagh
"oh, YOU'RE cold?!"
Harrison's delivery is Han down to a T.

I also thought the tentacle monsters were just a lot of fun. Man, this film was FUN through and through. The monsters also gave Rey a rescue role - the woman rescuing the man, but, thank the Maker, NOT by suddenly being badass and becoming Arnie, but by using her wits. Yay.
This was a great film. My kids absolutely LOVED it - although my son cried when Han died. Cried all the way until Poe started blowing up the reactor, and then again when Leia and Chewie were sad. That was his "No, *I* am your father" moment.
After 2 viewings, I'm not sure I would edit a thing. Not one thing.

revel911

Reaction score
Trophy Points
I loved it. Wow, felt like Star Wars film again.

Some thoughts:
1. You could practically remove FInn and he would not be needed. I get he is needed and will show value for the whole series.
2. Not a fan of the look of Snoke
3. I agree, I will probably cut the tentacle monsters .... worst part of the movies.
4. I agree that the overuse of previous sayings needs to be trimmed.
5. What was the need of the bar chick, she seems pointless in the whole movie.

Brumous

Faneditor
Reaction score
Trophy Points
I'm a happy Star Wars customer tonight. A sweet homage made out of mostly recycled bits, it had enough new material and surprises to feel fresh. The atmosphere was spot on, the practical effects a feast for the eyes. I appreciated the editing and pacing especially. The way the stories intercut, the constant pell mell forward momentum, are reproduced very well from the original. Bravo to JJ Abrams who's made Episode VII his best movie so far.

Some of the special effects achieved a real beauty, like the abstract composition of the opening shot. Some of the big battles were ho-hum, dialing-it-in and I wouldn't mind editing out some of those.

I'm curious what George Lucas thought as he watched it. JJ put his prequels to shame.

revel911

Reaction score
Trophy Points
Brumous said:
Bravo to JJ Abrams who's made Episode VII his best movie so far.

Great movie, better than Jedi even .... but I would dial it back a little. Empire is a masterpiece compared to this movie.

Brumous

Faneditor
Reaction score
Trophy Points
revel911 said:
Great movie, better than Jedi even .... but I would dial it back a little. Empire is a masterpiece compared to this movie.

I mean it's JJ's best movie so far. I didn't like nuTrek much and Into Darkness was lame.

Hal9000

Faneditor
Reaction score
Trophy Points
This probably sounds like a weird thing to complain about, but I feel like the pacing was too quick and doesn't really leave the film with much breathing room.

Q2

Staff member
Faneditor
Reaction score
Trophy Points
^
this

I'll have more thoughts later after I've had time to digest it and see it a second time, but did I miss something or did Han and Chewie just stumble onto the Falcon? Because if so that'd be really lame.

I also thought there were a few too many one liners and jokes.

I sort of feel this was 75% Star Wars. Some of it was too flashy for my tastes. That said it was still very enjoyable.

TM2YC

Take Me To Your Cinema
Staff member
Donor
Faneditor
Reaction score
Trophy Points
dangermouse said:
Harrison's delivery is Han down to a T.

Yeah. Another great moment was Han throwing that guy into the tenticle-creature's mouth, to save himself. What a scoundrel!

Another beautiful moment was when Rey is scrubbing down the scavenged parts from the SD and she glances up at the old woman across from her doing the same. It was brief and subtle but said so much about her character.

A few questions/speculations (Because as I said above, TFA left loads unexplained, which I loved)...

- Why did Ren keep his helmet in dirt? Were these Vader's ashes or something?
- Who do we think Max von Sydow's character was? He's got an official name (Lor San Tekka) and is something to do with the force. It seems he has been important between ROTJ and TFA.
- Was StarKiller Base a planet with a DS inserted into it, or a DS disguised as a planet?
- What was the significance of the system that got blown up? At first I thought it was Coruscant and was pleased to see the home of all the most boring prequel scenes get burned up... but I don't think it is.
- Who abandoned Rey on Jakku? I almost hope it's never explained but I suspect it will be a big revelation in the next two episodes.

TM2YC

Take Me To Your Cinema
Staff member
Donor
Faneditor
Reaction score
Trophy Points
Q2 said:
did I miss something or did Han and Chewie just stumble onto the Falcon? Because if so that'd be really lame.

It's explained that they were always searching for the Falcon in the area. Maybe Han had rigged up a device to detect the Falcon and was just waiting for somebody to power it up and take it into space?

DominicCobb

Staff member
Faneditor
Reaction score
Trophy Points
I seem to remember Han having a line about the Falcon popping up on his sensors or something.

njvc

Faneditor
Reaction score
Trophy Points
[MENTION=24292]TM2YC[/MENTION], I'm pretty sure that was Coruscant. What makes you think otherwise? Asumming it was, I took this as JJ not so subtly blowing up the prequels. Nice one.

emphatic

Reaction score
Trophy Points
TM2YC said:
- Who abandoned Rey on Jakku? I almost hope it's never explained but I suspect it will be a big revelation in the next two episodes.

Her moment with the helmet while sitting next to the old AT-AT in the desert suggests it's an X-Wing pilot. Luke?

Top Bottom