• Most new users don't bother reading our rules. Here's the one that is ignored almost immediately upon signup: DO NOT ASK FOR FANEDIT LINKS PUBLICLY. First, read the FAQ. Seriously. What you want is there. You can also send a message to the editor. If that doesn't work THEN post in the Trade & Request forum. Anywhere else and it will be deleted and an infraction will be issued.
  • If this is your first time here please read our FAQ and Rules pages. They have some useful information that will get us all off on the right foot, especially our Own the Source rule. If you do not understand any of these rules send a private message to one of our staff for further details.
  • Please read our Rules & Guidelines

Read BEFORE posting Trades & Request

Star Wars - The Final Order by Spence

What about the rain tho?
What about the rain? Rey and Leia aren’t right beside each other, they’re far enough away from each other that it could rain in one spot and not the other. I’ve been in my front yard in the rain, and it not rain at all in the backyard. And if you notice the misty foggy sky, as the Falcon is landing (and sunny at the same time), this makes it much more believable that it could be rainy in one spot and sunny in another very easily.

I will point out briefly that I do not care about the rain thing, or at least not enough to do anything about it. Things like this pop up in movies/shows all the time without too much question.

Rain going backwards in a blurry background for 5 seconds in the negative space of the frame you are not supposed to be looking at isn't a big deal to me.

I've already come to terms with it raining where Leia is and not where Rey is, because the scene doesn't work if I don't do it that way.

I'm not sure what the solution would be anyway, maybe further blur the background of the Leia footage?

What about the rain? Rey and Leia aren’t right beside each other, they’re far enough away from each other that it could rain in one spot and not the other. I’ve been in my front yard in the rain, and it not rain at all in the backyard. And if you notice the misty foggy sky, as the Falcon is landing (and sunny at the same time), this makes it much more believable that it could be rainy in one spot and sunny in another very easily.
I live in Florida so I am very familiar with this phenomenon. One time it rained for 30 minutes on only one side of my yard.

The Office Reaction GIF by NETFLIX

I was specifically looking for the reverse rain, and even that way I found it barely noticeable, if at all. This is not the waterfall from Anaconda, far from it.

I only looked at this on a tablet but, I didn't see the rain as a problem and agree with Bob on the reaction shot.

Here is the speeder chase scene in its entirety. I wanted to keep the "They fly now!" line from 3PO, and remove references to "Never underestimate a droid" as that scene no longer appears. It wasn't quite as simple as just cutting those bits out though, as the whole flow of the scene was changed.

I had to flip flop a shot of Poe's speeder and Rey's speeder right after 3PO's line. I also had to change the shot of Rey when we cut back to her as it was originally a wider shot. It was unclear which speeder we were looking at because the shot goes by so fast. So now that shot is a close up of Rey. I also threw in a light Sith Whisper when Rey sees the ship to give her a reason to stare at it.

Then, the usual tremendous amount of audio rework to get the scenes to flow into each other.

I'm on track for submitting this next week, so it'll be listed on IFDB May 1st. So if any of you are doing a rewatch around May the 4th, you can throw this in!

I'm still doing some audio tweaking and adjusting a few things here and there.

Watched the speeder chase, and it looked seamless. As someone that hasn't watched the movie in 2 years, I couldn't tell what was cut nor that there were any problems in the scene. Great work, looking forward to the final results.

Here is the speeder chase scene in its entirety. I wanted to keep the "They fly now!" line from 3PO, and remove references to "Never underestimate a droid" as that scene no longer appears. It wasn't quite as simple as just cutting those bits out though, as the whole flow of the scene was changed.

I had to flip flop a shot of Poe's speeder and Rey's speeder right after 3PO's line. I also had to change the shot of Rey when we cut back to her as it was originally a wider shot. It was unclear which speeder we were looking at because the shot goes by so fast. So now that shot is a close up of Rey. I also threw in a light Sith Whisper when Rey sees the ship to give her a reason to stare at it.

Then, the usual tremendous amount of audio rework to get the scenes to flow into each other.

Great work!

I think that the Sith Whisper is barely audible but maybe is the way you want it.

I didn't notice the sith whisper, but I also watched with earphones on a laptop in a cafe, so...

I guess you have achieved greatness on this edit. I watched it three times, twice with my partner whom is a huge Star Wars fan. We watched it once, after watching the not so great source material. We both feel that it is a massive improvement and certainly a definitive replacement to the original. We really enjoyed all of the changes and the lightning pace. Your changes are seamless. Perfect.

JJ Abrams' The Rise of Skywalker is a retro-con sequel to The Last Jedi.

Spence's THE FINAL ORDER is a DIRECT CONTINUATION of The Last Jedi.

And a glorious continuation it is!

I have a love/hate relationship with The Last Jedi. I hate the first half, but love the final half. So I was very nervous what my reaction would be to Spence's latest epic. I shouldn't have been. Spence delivers a rousing, break neck pace narrative that never loses sight of it's emotional core or driving themes.

This is a story of self-empowerment. Instead of being pawns of Destiny, Rey and Ben break their shackles and choose their own paths. It is a bold and tricky new narrative to achieve and in lesser hands probably would not work, but Spense pulls the proverbial rabbit out of the magic hat and delivers a powerful alternate vision.

There is only one pivotal moment involving Kylo Ren that did not 100% work for me, but it does add clarity to later actions and sells the emotion of the moment.

It has to be noted and applauded that the first hour of this edit is almost completely different from the original. Scenes are moved around and restructured, changing their context and emotional beat, that result in a much stronger second half. Spence has also masterfully altered/trimmed/replaced dialogue in many sequences to fit his new narrative and there was only a couple occasions where this was noticeable to me. And of course, new musical choices, that both significantly change the meaning of a scene and reinforces the new themes Spence has created.

Spence has easily achieved and surpassed his set out editing goals -- staying true to The Last Jedi concept that Rey is a "nobody", and crafting a very different and emotionally rewarding hero's journey.

BRAVO!!!

Highly Recommended! :)

edit: BTW love the poster art!!!!!

Just FYI, there will definitely be a version 2 of this based on feedback from here and the OT forums. I'm dedicated to making this is as good as it can possibly be, so please let me know if you have any constructive criticism!

After I've collected enough responses, I will begin working on V2. It will likely be next month.

If you're worried about bandwidth/downloading it twice, I always make a smaller version available.

Hey Spence, I really enjoyed the edit and I will put up a review soon. The only thing I think you change is removing the 20th century logo and the old Lucasfilm logo and just stick with the original as it does fell very fan edity with this in place. Plus, if I'm watching other Sequel Trilogy fan edits and I what to watch yours as the go to version of TROS it will be the only one that is not consistent with the opening logo's

PS Also really looking forward to your TLJ edit and hoping you use Poppasketti's edit for the base edit.

Hey Spence, I really enjoyed the edit and I will put up a review soon. The only thing I think you change is removing the 20th century logo and the old Lucasfilm logo and just stick with the original as it does fell very fan edity with this in place. Plus, if I'm watching other Sequel Trilogy fan edits and I what to watch yours as the go to version of TROS it will be the only one that is not consistent with the opening logo's

PS Also really looking forward to your TLJ edit and hoping you use Poppasketti's edit for the base edit.
Thanks for the feedback! Using the old logo was a deliberate decision as I wanted it to be a throwback to where it all started since it's the last movie in the series. Also, it makes me happy, so it's probably going to stay that way. Sorry!

I don't plan on doing an edit of The Last Jedi, as I think it's pretty much perfect the way it is.

I figured out what was causing the surround panning issues and have fixed it. I'm uploading new versions to replace the old versions.

If you already downloaded it, I have also uploaded the Ac3 file on its own so you don't have to get the whole thing again. You can just use MKVtoolnix or a similar program to replace the audio track.

The Ac3 track on its own has already been added to the folder, the updated versions of the movie should be on there later.

I want to note that this is NOT a V2 of this edit, it's the same as the one I released last week. It's just got a new audio file that greatly improves the surround sound panning.

Back
Top Bottom