• Most new users don't bother reading our rules. Here's the one that is ignored almost immediately upon signup: DO NOT ASK FOR FANEDIT LINKS PUBLICLY. First, read the FAQ. Seriously. What you want is there. You can also send a message to the editor. If that doesn't work THEN post in the Trade & Request forum. Anywhere else and it will be deleted and an infraction will be issued.
  • If this is your first time here please read our FAQ and Rules pages. They have some useful information that will get us all off on the right foot, especially our Own the Source rule. If you do not understand any of these rules send a private message to one of our staff for further details.
  • Please read our Rules & Guidelines

Star Wars: The Empire Strikes Back (Possessed) *V2 available*

Possessed

Faneditor
Reaction score
Trophy Points
I've finally started working on the follow up to my Star Wars: A New Hope Possessed edition, with of course the Empire Strikes Back.

The goal and aim is the same as the first one. To create a custom hybrid of the special edition and original cut, but also with a few new custom improvements. This cut list may not be complete, but if you've watched my Ep IV edition you'll know what to expect. Uses the 2011 bluray master as a base. This should give you an idea:

-The 2011 bluray image has been adjusted throughout to fix the oversaturated collars and unnatural blue push
-All lightsabers and laser bolts have been re-animated courtesy of Telecine7.
-Uses 2011 audio as a base, but restores many changes that were brought over from the 70mm version for the special edition back to the 35 mm version we are all familiar with. (Han can't get the shelter built, R2 doesn't taste good, Luke is full of surprises etc). The audio will be 2.0, but it will have a very high bitrate and be fully Dolby Pro Logic II compatible. Also features extensive audio work to blend all the multiple audio sources together. Many scenes have better ambiance and mixing in the original mix, so it was used in some scenes. But the 2011 mix has better presence and clarity, so it was used when possible, with much work blending the two together.
-Original Wampa cave scene restored using Harmy's Despecialized, with the color adjusted to match the rest of my grade.
-Special Edition shots of Bobba fetts ship following the falcon ridiculously closely toward bespin without them noticing are edited out, but the jump cuts to the audio in those scenes that were fixed for the special edition remain fixed.
-The "Bring My Shuttle" line has been restored and the entire sequence edited back to how it was in the original version. No extra unnecessary CGI shots or outtakes from ROTJ

And, as with ANH Possessed, a few new surprises.

Here's some screen grabs of the color adjustment, and the new sabers.

Snapshot.png

Snapshot-2.png

Snapshot-3.png

Snapshot-4.png

Snapshot-9.png

Snapshot-7.png

Snapshot-14.png

Snapshot-15.png

Last edited:

Possessed

Faneditor
Reaction score
Trophy Points
Thank you! I can't take credit for the new sabers and lasers, those were done by a fellow that goes a fellow that goes by the name telecine7. He's not around these parts i don't think, but I do have his permission to use them.

I did do the color adjustment and everything else as well, with the exception of the wampa scene. Credit for that goes to Harmy for making Despecialized. (Although I will adjust the colors simply to blend with the rest of my grade).

hothstation

Reaction score
Trophy Points
Possessed said:
Thank you! I can't take credit for the new sabers and lasers, those were done by a fellow that goes a fellow that goes by the name telecine7. He's not around these parts i don't think, but I do have his permission to use them.

I did do the color adjustment and everything else as well, with the exception of the wampa scene. Credit for that goes to Harmy for making Despecialized. (Although I will adjust the colors simply to blend with the rest of my grade).
Great... Thank you for the response. I am looking forward to this once it's complete.

Possessed

Faneditor
Reaction score
Trophy Points
I did a a new hope with basically the same philosophy and features already if you're interested in that in the meantime.

hothstation

Reaction score
Trophy Points
Possessed said:
I did a a new hope with basically the same philosophy and features already if you're interested in that in the meantime.
Yes, I certainly am!

Possessed

Faneditor
Reaction score
Trophy Points
Production on this is getting pretty close to wrapping up.

I plan on having some preview clips coming in the next week or so to show off both the colors and new rotoscoped elements, as well as some of the other misc. improvements.

hothstation

Reaction score
Trophy Points
Possessed said:
Production on this is getting pretty close to wrapping up.

I plan on having some preview clips coming in the next week or so to show off both the colors and new rotoscoped elements, as well as some of the other misc. improvements.

That is excellent news! I am truly looking forward to this.

Possessed

Faneditor
Reaction score
Trophy Points
Preview clip 1 of Empire Strikes Back: Possessed. Showing off new collars, new blasters and lightsaber blades, and one new surprise.

hothstation

Reaction score
Trophy Points
Possessed said:
Preview clip 1 of Empire Strikes Back: Possessed. Showing off new collars, new blasters and lightsaber blades, and one new surprise.

Awesome!

Possessed

Faneditor
Reaction score
Trophy Points
Preview of the Emperor scene from ESB Possessed. I know the decision to keep the 2004/2011 Emperor is probably somewhat controversial, but it aligns most with what I wanted. I would like it if he looked more like his ROTJ self, but I don't like the way he's sped up to match the original speed in Adywan's version and I don't have the skills to make it myself so this is what we got.

Clip is to demonstrate the new music tweak. It's subtle, but I think it actually makes a really big difference in the mood and makes it feel more like the "Saga" emperor but without totally betraying the original scene. Enjoy!

Update: This has been adjusted in the final version so that the new music doesn't clash with the old music. The preview clip doesn't reflect that.

Possessed

Faneditor
Reaction score
Trophy Points
On further consideration and feedback I've received on the discord, I decided to modify this scene and edit the dialogue to be closer to the original version but keeping some of the se dialogue that helps tie everything together.

Here's the new clip.

Masirimso17

Cover Artist
Reaction score
Trophy Points
Nice, but I think the two different music together sounds very messy :/ Is there a way to have only the Phantom Menace music play there and lower the audio of the Empire music?

hothstation

Reaction score
Trophy Points
Possessed said:
On further consideration and feedback I've received on the discord, I decided to modify this scene and edit the dialogue to be closer to the original version but keeping some of the se dialogue that helps tie everything together.

Here's the new clip.

That looks great... Thank you for sharing.

Possessed

Faneditor
Reaction score
Trophy Points
Masirimso17 said:
Nice, but I think the two different music together sounds very messy :/ Is there a way to have only the Phantom Menace music play there and lower the audio of the Empire music?

Yes, but I actually like the way they blend together. I like the uneasy feeling.

I have actually adjusted it further since this clip though. I didn't turn down the original music though, I just cut the eq frequencies of the phantom menace music to have less presence, so now you can still hear it but it doesn't sound as in the way or like it's fighting with the original music. I don't feel like posting a third clip of it, but trust me.

Masirimso17

Cover Artist
Reaction score
Trophy Points
Possessed said:
Masirimso17 said:

Yes, but I actually like the way they blend together. I like the uneasy feeling.

I have actually adjusted it further since this clip though. I didn't turn down the original music though, I just cut the eq frequencies of the phantom menace music to have less presence, so now you can still hear it but it doesn't sound as in the way or like it's fighting with the original music. I don't feel like posting a third clip of it, but trust me.

That’s good to hear!

Possessed

Faneditor
Reaction score
Trophy Points
The 720p "final" version is now available in a preliminary small size encode.

"Final" in quotes in case anybody notices any technical problems with it that I didn't catch, that I may fix them before I author the blu ray version.

Possessed

Faneditor
Reaction score
Trophy Points
I'm glad to announce this is complete.

The 720p small encode will be rendering out shortly, with the full 1080p blu ray coming in the next couple of weeks.

I will post this to the IFDB once the 720p version is live.

Possessed

Faneditor
Reaction score
Trophy Points
The 720p version is officially available. The 1080P version will be coming soon.

Possessed

Faneditor
Reaction score
Trophy Points
The bluray version with full 1080p video quality, full audio quality, and many vintage interviews and docs as bonus features is now available.

Top Bottom