• Most new users don't bother reading our rules. Here's the one that is ignored almost immediately upon signup: DO NOT ASK FOR FANEDIT LINKS PUBLICLY. First, read the FAQ. Seriously. What you want is there. You can also send a message to the editor. If that doesn't work THEN post in the Trade & Request forum. Anywhere else and it will be deleted and an infraction will be issued.
  • If this is your first time here please read our FAQ and Rules pages. They have some useful information that will get us all off on the right foot, especially our Own the Source rule. If you do not understand any of these rules send a private message to one of our staff for further details.
  • Please read our Rules & Guidelines

Read BEFORE posting Trades & Request

Star Wars silent film by TMBTM

Ripplin said:
I like how on the front page now, it says "Forget about 3D, enjoy these fanedits in glorious black & white!" and they show the Dusty version, which is not black & white. ;) (but the dusties are better than the cleans anyway, heh heh...)

Well the dusties are sort of back and white, only with colored tints depending on the scenes.
But thanks for the bump of this thread anyway, hehe!

I know this edit is long finished, TMBTM, but here are a couple of piano improvisations that make me think of the live piano accompaniment for many silent films. The first is the Imperial March in the style of Beethoven, and the second is the Star Wars theme in the style of a baroque gavotte. Pretty cool stuff, especially because they're improvised:

Those are great, Hebrides, but only the first few notes of each resemble the original versions, so the joke is soon lost.

DwightFry78 said:
Those are great, Hebrides, but only the first few notes of each resemble the original versions, so the joke is soon lost.

Yeah, I pretty much agree with you, but they were interesting attempts anyway. If you listen closely enough, you can hear him reharmonizing the melodies and echoing them throughout, but it's a bit more of a parlor trick than anything else -- impressive for being off-the-cuff, but not something I'd go out of my way to listen to on a regular basis.

Star Wars might have had a bigger orchestra, though. At least in some cities. Or migh have had a pre-recorded orchestral soundtrack if it had come out late in the silent period. A science fiction fantasy in the silent era would have had more than a piano soundtrack, I think, at least in its first run.

That doesn't mean silent film piano accompaniment isn't cool, of course. :)

Finally got to see the dusty part 1, and its great! I didn't like everything, but most of the editing is exelent imo.

Personally, i didn't like most of the 18fps. For close up shots of charachters it always looks great, very authentic, but to me much of the movement suffered. I kept thinking, if you had instead adjusted the speed of the shots and the frame rates it would have played out better; sometimes stuff in silent films looks more fun when sped up/slowed down, this would have then reduced the ammount of jerky movement and also added some extra fun at the same time, but it would of been alot of work to adjust the speed/framerates of each shot, and the pan and scaning is already enough work right there so i dont blame you for using a "global" setting.

The color tinting was pretty sweet, i wish there was more tinting done because i liked it so much, but i think most of the silent films that had color tinting done didnt have EVERY scene tinted, so no biggie.

Nice title card background design!

Ep1: When the droids are attacking the gungan shield, there is silence and then the droids fire their tank weapons at the shields and the music kicks back in mimicking what the blast would sound like, slick move right there ;)

I really started to enjoy it about midway through ep2, after anakin finds out about his mother, it just got better and better after that.

The second half of ep3 was a blast!

How come no recap/crawl for ep2 and ep3? I was looking forward to that but instead you used the title cards "ten years later" ect. Just wondering the reason behind that choice.

I really wish you would have called it Star Wars: 20's silent serial edition instead. Yep, that bugged me a fair bit. No offense meant.

I will write up a proper review once i get a chance to watch part 2

Nicely done TMBTM :)

Thanks, Rogue.
I only used the Star Wars crawl once because I wanted that the audience can sit and enjoy all the episode at once like one big movie if they want. That's why there is even no crawl on the DVD 2 (the OT).

Ah i gotcha!

I think you've inspired me to use some 18fps for close ups in one of my projects!

Here's a poster for episode 3, might make more for the other episodes later or use the layout for a cover, kinda just wanted to do this one chapter for now, based on a Phantom Empire poster:

EDIT: Darn, that scene with the emperor used for the center image isn't in the edit is it... Maybe I could replace the background or something, sorry about that. :(

EDIT#2: Updated poster:
ero6.jpg

Rogue-theX said:
EDIT: Darn, that scene with the emperor used for the center image isn't in the edit is it... Maybe I could replace the background or something, sorry about that. :(

Haha, yeah that scene was removed. VERY cool poster anyway. :flame:
It's just that this could not really be the cover art for the DVD since the whole trilogy is on one DVD. But that would be a nice bonus poster to slide inside the DVD case (!) or to put on your door when friends are coming to watch the edit, hehe :).

Back
Top Bottom