• Most new users don't bother reading our rules. Here's the one that is ignored almost immediately upon signup: DO NOT ASK FOR FANEDIT LINKS PUBLICLY. First, read the FAQ. Seriously. What you want is there. You can also send a message to the editor. If that doesn't work THEN post in the Trade & Request forum. Anywhere else and it will be deleted and an infraction will be issued.
  • If this is your first time here please read our FAQ and Rules pages. They have some useful information that will get us all off on the right foot, especially our Own the Source rule. If you do not understand any of these rules send a private message to one of our staff for further details.
  • Please read our Rules & Guidelines

Read BEFORE posting Trades & Request

STAR WARS: Rogue One

DigModiFicaTion said:
Didn't see this in the thread: 

"There are Potentially "Multiple" Alternate Cuts of Rogue One"
http://www.vanityfair.com/hollywood/2016/12/ben-mendelsohn-rogue-one-alternate-cuts

An interesting article with some insights into the shooting and editing process of this film.
It would be an amazing nod to the fanediting community if Disney would release a "build your own adventure" edition of this film. They allow it with video games, why not movies? Most likely would never happen, but it seems that they do have the footage to be able to do it.
As a hobbyist musician I've always wanted something like this for music. Tracks that you could virtually control the faders as if you were mixing the track. We've gotten something like this with isolated tracks being ripped from video games like Guitar Hero.

Sorry if that's too off topic

Moe_Syzlak said:
As a hobbyist musician I've always wanted something like this for music. Tracks that you could virtually control the faders as if you were mixing the track. We've gotten something like this with isolated tracks being ripped from video games like Guitar Hero.

Sorry if that's too off topic

Off topic, and we can move this to the music section if needed, but what you are describing does exist, although it can be difficult to find what you are looking for. Some musicians have made tracks available (example: NIN) and there are websites like blend.io that work with artists to encourage remixes/alternate mixes.

^Oh man you just reminded me of some terrible Y34RZ3R0 remixes I had fun making when Trent put out those audio tracks. Good times. I remember putting some Dubya audio clips in my Capital G remix. It was the first time I edited anything.

Yeah, the Target release said it had exclusive content, but that's probably just featurettes or something.

I like the new trailer "One of the best Star Wars films ever made". Not necessarily a recommendation :D .

Is it just me, or were there no "rebel spies" involved in stealing the plans to the death star...

Syfo Dyas?
Escape%2Bfrom%2BNew%2BYork%2B1.jpg

I heard you were dead.

A fan editor created this "commercial" for a supposed VHS release of Rogue One.

It's a thing of beauty.

I bought the digital download so I could watch it on the plane tomorrow.  I watched the beginning last night and I'm absolutely positive the beginning should cut to Jyn in the prison traansport about to be rescued after the prologue. Nothing else is needed.

Moe_Syzlak said:
I bought the digital download so I could watch it on the plane tomorrow.  I watched the beginning last night and I'm absolutely positive the beginning should cut to Jyn in the prison traansport about to be rescued after the prologue. Nothing else is needed.

Removing that entire beginning and cutting in a crawl is the first thing I am doing with an edit.

That and removing that horrible tentacle monster.

revel911 said:
Moe_Syzlak said:

Removing that entire beginning and cutting in a crawl is the first thing I am doing with an edit.

That and removing that horrible tentacle monster.
To each his own, but I like the prologue. It just takes too long to get going and has too many setting changes immediately after the title card. I would like an edit that retains the prologue, had better title card and music hit for it, cuts immediately to the Jyn rescue. I want the tentacle monster removed too, of course. Also I was wondering if some JEJ dialogue could be mined from his filmography to replace the dad joke. I like scene otherwise. 

For more ambitious cuts, I think some of the Tarkin effects work, while other shots are really bad. I think some creative editing could remove the more egregiously bad Tarkin shots. I'm also wondering if it's possible  to have Leia deliver the final line without ever facing the camera.

Went to pre-order this this morning on Amazon, but apparently Amazon and Disney are throwing fits over pricing and take home profits.
Here's a leaked photo of the negotiations:
CBS_STAR_TREK_DS9_411_IMAGE_640x360.jpg

I know that other editors have fancied tacking a cut of Rogue One onto the beginning of A New Hope. It would be neat to add a chase through hyperspace ala Into Darkness. Found this on youtube that could help make that idea a reality.
and then have it drop out like this, minus the Kylo Ren shot ofcourse.

Just finished a rough cut of my Rogue One edit. It's rough because I'm no professional editor for a reason, and the edit shows that in a couple key scenes. However, I think I improved the film. Some various things I cut:
*No CGI Tarkin
*No CGI Leia
*No Darth Vader
*No tentacle monster
*No C-3PO and R2-D2
*No lingering shot of blue milk
*No horrible iMovie stock text title card
*No "He doesn't like you either" cantina guy
*No one says the words "Rebellions are built on hope" in that order
*No Jyn Erso speech to the Alliance (I thought this was too cheesy)
*A couple of short space battle sequences were cut (These get too excessive)
*Saw Gerrera is only at the beginning and when everyone visits Jedha
*Riz Ahmed's character is seen for the first time when Cassian meets him
*Admiral Ackbar doesn't say "May the force be with you Rogue One" (Didn't fit with the ending)
*No scene of Cassian talking to his informant on the asteroid station they were on
*The ending is now Cassian and Jyn hugging on the beach and the blast encompassing them

Some of these changes are questionable, I understand, but I felt the movie catered far too much to major Star Wars fans, and left the general audience in the dust. With no context, a man with a cape, weird samurai helmet, and a red laser sword barging in to kill off a ton of the heroes, after all the main characters die is extremely bizarre and doesn't fit at all. So while I do like a few of the scenes I omitted, I really wanted to make this film into something a non Star Wars fan can enjoy from minute 1 to the end credits.

I didn't add a crawl, and I'm debating whether I should or not. The problem is that I've removed nearly every bit of fan service, and putting a crawl in where one didn't even exist in the first place would contradict that. But on the other hand, it would greatly help out people who have no idea when this film takes place.

As for the ending, trying to cut around CGI Tarkin and have the last shot be Jyn and Cassian hugging is much more difficult than I thought. I'll work this out sometime soon, but right now my ending just jolts around and is super noticeable.

Interesting cut list. Personally,  I thought the last 10-15 minutes was what made the movie. Removing the tie in with A new Hope kind of negates the very reason for this film existing.

DigModiFicaTion said:
Interesting cut list. Personally,  I thought the last 10-15 minutes was what made the movie. Removing the tie in with A new Hope kind of negates the very reason for this film existing.

I know, that's what I kept going back and forth about. I may cave and put it back in, but for this edit specifically, I wanted to focus more on the leads, and less tie ins. I actually really liked the last couple minutes, both times I saw it in theaters, I just don't think that it's necessary or adds a whole lot to the film outside of 'Cool Star Wars moments'.

Please make a thread, this thread is for discussion of the movie itself.

Back
Top Bottom