• Most new users don't bother reading our rules. Here's the one that is ignored almost immediately upon signup: DO NOT ASK FOR FANEDIT LINKS PUBLICLY. First, read the FAQ. Seriously. What you want is there. You can also send a message to the editor. If that doesn't work THEN post in the Trade & Request forum. Anywhere else and it will be deleted and an infraction will be issued.
  • If this is your first time here please read our FAQ and Rules pages. They have some useful information that will get us all off on the right foot, especially our Own the Source rule. If you do not understand any of these rules send a private message to one of our staff for further details.
  • Please read our Rules & Guidelines

Star Wars: Rise of the Rebellion, A Rogue One Edit

DigModiFicaTion

DᴉმWoqᴉԷᴉcɑꓕᴉou
Staff member
Faneditor
Reaction score
Trophy Points
rise-of-the-empire-logo1.png

rotr-poster-medium.png

Alright, I've invested enough time into my ideas for Rogue One that I might as well commit. This edit won't be drastic as I enjoyed most everything about this film.​

Change List:​
  1. New title cards
  2. Custom Crawl (this will be my Episode III of the prequel trilogy, so it indicates that)
  3. Custom pan down and Krennic shuttle flying towards Lah'mu
  4. Removed Saw opening up hatch to find Jyn
  5. Removed Rogue One Title card, now hard cuts to Jyn waking up as if she was dreaming
  6. Removed planet card intro on Cassian's introduction, it now does a downward pan wipe
  7. Edited Informant scene to have the stormtrooper kill the informant instead of Cassian
  8. Cropped Jedah planet card to remove text (added sharpening to film)
  9. Added iris wipe transition to Jyn's rescue
  10. Cropped Yavin and Rebel Alliance planet cards to remove text (added sharpening to film)
  11. Removed second Bodhi scene where he meets Saw
  12. Color corrected Tarkin's skin tones
  13. Removed Bor Gullet
  14. Added tie sfx to transition from K2 to Jedha pan shot
  15. Removed Cornelius Evazan and Ponda Baba
  16. Added Battlefront Imperial track to Rebel ambush
  17. Shortened Chirrut's acrobatics and removed his "is your foot alright?" line and human shield antics
  18. Removed the cut to Jyn and Cassian to connect the continuous shot where Baze fires at the stormtroopers
  19. Removed Chirrut's "are you kidding me? I'm blind" line
  20. Color corrected Tarkin's skin tones during Jedah DS firing sequence
  21. Color corrected Vader's eyes during his meeting with Krennic
  22. Cropped Edu planet card to remove text (added sharpening to film)
  23. Rescored Rebel Alliance meeting with Force theme
  24. Removed Bodhi's stuttering when asked who is stealing the imperial ship
  25. Cropped Scarrif planet card to remove text (added sharpening to film)
  26. Color corrected Tarkin's skin tones
  27. Cropped scene with R2 and 3P0 to remove them from the shot and reworked surround track to eliminate their dialogue
  28. Rescored Star Destroyer collision (Scrambling the Rebel Fleet & airplane collision/crash sfx)
  29. Color corrected Tarkin's skin tones
  30. Color corrected Vader's eyes when he is watching the Rebel fleet be massacred
  31. Trimmed Vader's awkward hand gesture of choking rebel soldier and then motioning to fling him to the side. (it just looks too fan filmy for me)
  32. Color corrected Leia's skin tones
  33. Fixed audio volume transition into credits
  34. Added custom edited/fanedited credits
  35. Added grouped name credits to shorten credits and have them end on the the musical finale (the original doesn't for some reason)
  36. Added custom title cards to ending
Original Run Time    2:13:57
Edit Run Time          2:11:41

[align=center]New Poster with Catch Phrase​
[align=center][img=400x740]https://digmodification.files.wordp...-unite-rebel-poster.png?w=1000[/img][/CENTER]

BR Case Art​
rotr-br-case-12.png

rotr-br-case-1-11.png

rotr-br-case-2.png

rotr-br-case-2-11.png

Disc Art​
[img=400x400]https://digmodification.files.wordpress.com/2017/07/rotr-disc.png[/img]          [img=400x388]https://digmodification.files.wordpress.com/2017/05/disc-small.png[/img][/CENTER]
[/align]
[/align]
[align=center]
As you can see, this is more of a cosmetic edit and shouldn't require a ton of editing (unless you all challenge me to try something different ;))​

Here's some draft versions of scenes​

[align=center]
[align=center]

ironman23

Faneditor
Reaction score
Trophy Points
As someone who greatly enjoyed rogue one, this looks to be a well rounded and balanced edit  :) one small suggestion? Possibly add some film grain ontop the film, especially to help the Tarkin and Leia scenes look even better.

P.S. the quick drafts you provided are all pretty good, my favorite being the regraded tarkin sequence and the new crawl

Zarius

Faneditor
Reaction score
Trophy Points
I wish you well on this, was very impressed with the grading on Tarkin, and your adjusted crawl looks way better

revel911

Reaction score
Trophy Points
Are you rescoring and adding in some Williams classics?

Are you cutting any of Leia or Trakin where they linger too long?

DigModiFicaTion

DᴉმWoqᴉԷᴉcɑꓕᴉou
Staff member
Faneditor
Reaction score
Trophy Points
revel911 said:
Are you rescoring and adding in some Williams classics?

Only minimally if I do. I want to avoid adding specific ques that are strongly associated with a specific OT movie. The Force theme is throughout the saga so it is ok, but I don't want to add say the Imperial March,  asteroid chase, Hoth walker assault, or other obviously themed pieces to scenes in this movie. It's just too jarring imho. If you haven't seen the  YouTube video analysis of Guacchino's score I'd recommend it. It's helped improve my feelings and thoughts tiwards the original score. The sheer thought that went into Guacchino's score is incredible.

revel911 said:
Are you cutting any of Leia or Trakin where they linger too long?

My hope is to offset the awkwardness with color correction, but I may if it needs it. Leia's scene is the most awkward in time length to me so it may be trimmed.

Thanks for the feedback revel

Moe_Syzlak

Reaction score
Trophy Points
Are you doing anything with the overt fan service and callbacks?

DigModiFicaTion

DᴉმWoqᴉԷᴉcɑꓕᴉou
Staff member
Faneditor
Reaction score
Trophy Points
Moe_Syzlak said:
Are you doing anything with the overt fan service and callbacks?

To be honest, I really don't have any problem with them. Maybe blue milk is the kool-aid of Star Wars. I thought the addition of Cornelius Evazan and Ponda Baba were done tastefully and added to their characters.

darth_ender said:
Are you planning to edit renamed Episodes I and II?

Eventually, yes. I've attempted a few prequel edit ideas, but once I start watching the films to plan cuts I lose the desire to follow through. They're just really hard for me to watch. I'm hoping to create two films that focus on Obi-Wan and rarely, if ever, show Anakin. I'm even ok with not showing the over the top duel at the end RotS and leaving the explanation of Anakin up to Obi-Wan's A New Hope narrative.

revel911

Reaction score
Trophy Points
Digi,

I am crazy excited for this edit because this movie is so close to perfection as you mentioned, it just needs some fat trimming a bit more SW added back in.

I only noticed how much I missed WIlliam's score when I saw the Battle for Scariff edit which gave me chills in a few spots that I did not feel in the movie because of how well William's theme was.

I like the Imperial March as Vader's theme btw ......

DigModiFicaTion

DᴉმWoqᴉԷᴉcɑꓕᴉou
Staff member
Faneditor
Reaction score
Trophy Points
revel911 said:
Digi,

I am crazy excited for this edit because this movie is so close to perfection as you mentioned, it just needs some fat trimming a bit more SW added back in.

I like the Imperial March as Vader's theme btw ......

Thanks! I'm hoping that others will chime in about where they feel the fat is (Thank you Moe_Syzlak!). I may not agree with it, but just as with my Heir to the Force edit, I will entertain any and all ideas that you awesome community members share. I may say no at first, then try it out, and eventually agree with you.

As for the Imperial March, I don't know for the reasons I posted above.

Thanks again for your interest!

Garp

Reaction score
Trophy Points
Good job so far, though you added an extra 'e' to 'secretly' in the crawl.

DigModiFicaTion

DᴉმWoqᴉԷᴉcɑꓕᴉou
Staff member
Faneditor
Reaction score
Trophy Points
^Good catch, I'll update my project file.

revel911

Reaction score
Trophy Points
Removing the first "I am one with the force ...."? It takes away from it the last time at his death.

DigModiFicaTion

DᴉმWoqᴉԷᴉcɑꓕᴉou
Staff member
Faneditor
Reaction score
Trophy Points
revel911 said:
Removing the first "I am one with the force ...."? It takes away from it the last time at his death.

I'm taking this as general feedback and not specific as I haven't done this. He definitely still does his chanting here. I'll only be slightly reducing the quantity of it when he does.

*EDIT*
Just reread your post. I think I misunderstood, or maybe still am misunderstanding. Do you mean that I should remove it to increase the impact of the last time he says it?

DigModiFicaTion

DᴉმWoqᴉԷᴉcɑꓕᴉou
Staff member
Faneditor
Reaction score
Trophy Points
Well bummer, the studio that produced the art for the poster is now wanting to decline my use of their artwork. Oh well, on the hunt for new poster art.

DigModiFicaTion

DᴉმWoqᴉԷᴉcɑꓕᴉou
Staff member
Faneditor
Reaction score
Trophy Points
Here's our princess with a tad bit less pink.
[align=center]

ThrowgnCpr

awol
Staff member
Reaction score
Trophy Points
It's really hard to gauge the extent of these facial grades. It would be helpful if you posted a side-by-side comparison.

ironman23

Faneditor
Reaction score
Trophy Points
Pretty good work there, Digi  :) any chance we could see a before/after comparison down the road?

TV's Frink

You Catch On Pretty Quick
Staff member
Donor
Faneditor
Reaction score
Trophy Points
I don't think it's a good idea to call this Ep 3 right at the front of the title, as you're going to confuse people.

Top Bottom