• Most new users don't bother reading our rules. Here's the one that is ignored almost immediately upon signup: DO NOT ASK FOR FANEDIT LINKS PUBLICLY. First, read the FAQ. Seriously. What you want is there. You can also send a message to the editor. If that doesn't work THEN post in the Trade & Request forum. Anywhere else and it will be deleted and an infraction will be issued.
  • If this is your first time here please read our FAQ and Rules pages. They have some useful information that will get us all off on the right foot, especially our Own the Source rule. If you do not understand any of these rules send a private message to one of our staff for further details.
  • Please read our Rules & Guidelines

Read BEFORE posting Trades & Request

Star Wars: Rise of the Rebellion, A Rogue One Edit

I've always found it odd that the DS1 fires differently than the DS2
Superlaser2.jpg
vs 
Dsiipown.png

I thought about adding the center beam element to the DS1 in this edit. Upon looking at the Scarrif firing scene I noticed this shot.
deathstar%20firing_000000_zpsrqt4bp1r.png

Anyone else think there is a major size issue here? Not to mention a gravity issue.

Here's another shot with the DS1 in the background and the planet for size comparison.
size%20issue_000000_zpsgcnbuxfm.png

Another comparison video showing the enormity of the DS1 which seems to be in congruent with Rogue One (see 2:03 on).
[align=center]

In rewatching some Ep IV moments, I'm thinking of how to make Rogue One look more like that movie. Ep IV is filmed in an older style with long still shots and zoomed in frames. I wonder if I crop some shots if it would resemble the OT a little more.

Concerning the way the laser firing works (or should work "accurately" for a moon size weapon), adding a center beam wouldn't be a bad idea if done right. 

Now concerning the size/gravity in congruent with the planets that it orbits, I never really noticed anything out of place and personally thinks it looks fine. If anything were to be done, I would suggest simply making it a bit smaller. Good eye though

I will speak on the beam... Don't add it. If I recall; the Death Star wasn't at full power yet? Am I wrong? It wasn't quite destroying worlds yet; just cities.

Under old EU, the new Death Star was made more accurate with the central beam, and that allowed it to target capital ships. It's a distinction I've always appreciated.

mrbenja0618 said:
I will speak on the beam... Don't add it. If I recall; the Death Star wasn't at full power yet? Am I wrong? It wasn't quite destroying worlds yet; just cities.

It actually does have the same no center beam when it destroys Alderman in Ep IV as well.

darth_ender, what EU story are you referring to?

It's actually what recall from the West End Games role-playing game description. I suspect there are more references, but that's all I know of.

I've hit a wall with the audio in the Rebel Alliance meeting scene so I thought I'd tackle my other main audio change, the transition to the credits. I don't know what it is exactly, but the transition from the Tantive jumping to Hyper Space and the accompanying music to the Star Wars credits music just doesn't work. It feels flat and possibly rushed. I thought about extending some frames and using the soundtrack to extend it, but then I had this idea.

[align=center]password: fanedit.org​

It doesn't follow the episodic closure music wise, and I'll probably not use it for this edit because of it, but I kind of like the foreshadowing of it as a credit transition. What do you think?​

Well it feels like this one is getting close to being done. I'd like to make a trailer and would love to collaborate ideas for one that will push me past my Montage approach I took with Heir to the Force. PM me if you'd like to help with ideas that way it won't be spoiled upon release. ​

for starters, the vader scene and the leia scene (ugh, that cgi) had tone-fitting music.

the credits music starts off dramatically but turns hesitant, or maybe stalling, then quickly picks up the pace with no corresponding on-screen visual disruption, then gets to the melancholy music that should have defined the tone of the credits from the start.

So I figured out what feels off with the closing credits (other than the massive shift in mood). The Rogue One soundtrack is noticeably higher in pitch than the original (A New Hope).

This is the last little bit and I'm a bit stuck. I'd like to keep the traditional ending music, but as we've all pointed out it just feels to uptempo for the devastation we just witnessed. I've searched around for fan made sad versions of cues but ultimately I'm not finding anything that fits. Any thoughts? Do you like the higher pitched Rogue One or A New Hope's ending cue?

I am, mostly leaning towards the higher pitched Rogue One credits since imo, they're already pretty close to the '77 ending.

Decided to let the visuals and the music do the talking again.​

[align=center]

Nicely done! Bonus points for not showing off vader at the end ;)

Finishing up a few video and audio transitions and some of the rescorced scenes.
  • I decided to completely remove the second scene with Bodhi where he first meets Saw. It really does nothing to advance the story. The only thing we miss is that we get a little insight into how paranoid Saw is, but because he is such a minor character in the grand scheme of the movie I don't mind missing the scene. 
  • I've also decided to remove Cornelius Evazan and Ponda Baba from Jedha. (You won out @"Moe_Syzlak")
  • The ending music will remain as is, though I'll be boosting it a bit or moving it slightly forward to deal with the odd drop out sound.
  • Adding in some music from Battlefront to the Jedah rebel ambush
Any other thoughts/requests?

Do you have an updated list of the narrative changes that you have made or are in the process of making?

Holy hell, Tarkin looks so much better in this version! He almost looks like a real person! Almost...

Leia still looks plasticy, but that can't be helped.

I'm not sure why the CG artists made their skin so pink, just added another layer to the uncanny valley.

Here's the latest cut list. As you can see, this edit isn't drastic, it's just a quick fixer-upper to create a less distracting story that follows the theatrical plot. 

1. New title cards
  2. Custom Crawl (this will be my Episode III of the prequel trilogy, so it indicates that)
  3. Custom pan down and Krennic shuttle flying towards Lah'mu
  4. Removed Saw opening up hatch to find Jyn
  5. Removed Rogue One Title card, now hard cuts to Jyn waking up as if she was dreaming
  6. Removed planet card intro on Cassian's introduction, it now does a downward pan wipe
  7. Cropped Jedah planet card to remove text (added sharpening to film)
  8. Added iris wipe transition to Jyn's rescue
  9. Cropped Yavin and Rebel Alliance planet cards to remove text
  10. Removed second Bodhi scene where he meets Saw
  11. Color corrected Tarkin's skin tones
  12. Removed Bor Gullet
  13. Added tie sfx to transition from K2 to Jedha pan shot
  14. Removed Cornelius Evazan and Ponda Baba
  15. Added Battlefront Imperial track to Rebel ambush
  16. Shortened Chirrut's acrobatics and removed his "is your foot alright?" line and human shield antics
  17. Removed the cut to Jyn and Cassian to connect the continuous shot where Baze fires at the stormtroopers
  18. Removed Chirrut's "are you kidding me? I'm blind" line
  19. Color corrected Tarkin's skin tones during Jedah DS firing sequence
  20.  Cropped Edu planet card to remove text (added sharpening to film)
  21. Rescored Rebel Alliance meeting with Force theme
  22. Removed Bodhi's stuttering when asked who is stealing the imperial ship
  23. Cropped Scarrif planet card to remove text (added sharpening to film)
  24. Color corrected Tarkin's skin tones
  25. Cropped scene with R2 and 3P0 to remove them from the shot and reworked surround track to eliminate their dialogue
  26. Rescored Star Destroyer collision (Scrambling the Rebel Fleet & airplane collision/crash sfx)
  27. Color corrected Tarkin's skin tones
  28. Trimmed Vader's awkward hand gesture of choking rebel soldier and then motioning to fling him to the side. (it just looks too fan filmy for me)
  29. Color corrected Leia's skin tones
  30. Fixed audio volume transition into credits
  31. Added custom edited/fanedited credits
  32. Added custom title cards to ending
Contemplating removing Chirrut's tie fighter shot on Edu.

Are you still attempting to also create a version in which it's implied that Jyn and Cassian made it off of Scariff?

hbenthow said:
Are you still attempting to also create a version in which it's implied that Jyn and Cassian made it off of Scariff?

At this time no. I'm currently job hunting and don't have the mind or focus to pull that off. The preexisting footage would need to be heavily modified and or recreated digitally to pull it off. I don't have a good base 3d model of a U-wing to mess around with so unless I can re purpose the shots that are already present, I'm not sure I can pull it off right now.

Back
Top Bottom