• Most new users don't bother reading our rules. Here's the one that is ignored almost immediately upon signup: DO NOT ASK FOR FANEDIT LINKS PUBLICLY. First, read the FAQ. Seriously. What you want is there. You can also send a message to the editor. If that doesn't work THEN post in the Trade & Request forum. Anywhere else and it will be deleted and an infraction will be issued.
  • If this is your first time here please read our FAQ and Rules pages. They have some useful information that will get us all off on the right foot, especially our Own the Source rule. If you do not understand any of these rules send a private message to one of our staff for further details.
  • Please read our Rules & Guidelines

Star Wars: RISE OF THE EMPIRE

lewis886

Faneditor
Reaction score
Trophy Points
Wow, I was surprised to find this website. I have been working on an edit of the Star Wars prequels for a while now, and I had no idea that anyone else did anything like this. I was really happy to find this place. Glad to see other people like doing this too ;)

My edit of the Star Wars Prequels looks to be quite a bit more drastic than anyone else's. I am editing all 3 movies down into one film roughly 4 hours long. I am removing some entire sequences and scenes, and I am even removing some characters all-together. Some of the sequences are things that I enjoyed, but I really didn't feel helped the story much, or they had to do with a character that I removed. I certainly won't be able to list all the cuts when I get to putting the page up, there are 100's. I am trying to just pin it down to the over-arching story of Palpatine's rise to emperor and Anakin's journey to palpatine's side.

boon23

Faneditor
Cover Artist
Reaction score
Trophy Points
welcome lewis! Now this sounds very interesting. although the SW geeks here might disagree. But why shouldn't that work? If it does and if you crafted it well picture- and audiowise, then you came to the exact right place to find a very happy audience.
How far is your fanedit progressed already?

lewis886

Faneditor
Reaction score
Trophy Points
Well, I already had a rough cut, which was pretty decent. I had to watch it and make some notes, and I just finished all my final edits for the episode 1 and episode 2 sections. I only have to watch episode 3 and take notes and make my final edits for it... Of course i may watch these "final" edits and find more things I need to fix... but I think I'm within a week or 2. I am writing a new opening scroll now. I'll have to ask a friend if he will animate it for me.

There are a couple of cuts that aren't as smooth as I would like them, and there are a couple of things that aren't quite as narratively cohesive as I would like, but I think they still work far better than the original versions.

I have let a few of my friends, who are big star wars fans, watch the rough cuts, and they all feel that they are a decided improvement over the originals.

boon23

Faneditor
Cover Artist
Reaction score
Trophy Points
kewl! Sounds like you put a lot of effort and work in this. Quality control is what really counts and so many underestimate it. Actually, I can't wait to watch your edit, lewis, keep us informed on any news.

lewis886

Faneditor
Reaction score
Trophy Points
Well, yes, some of the die-hard star wars fans might not like it, but oh well. i don't mind.

as far as video and audio go... the audio is fine... i certainly don't have a 5.1 mix... but the video hasn't been quite as good as i hoped. it's not horrible, but not perfect by any means. i just went to adigitalman's instructions on how to get the highest quality when ripping, and got some pointers on how to improve the video quality. i might take the time and re-import everything and re-edit the higher quality video according to what i've already done.

to give you a hint of how drastic i've been... count dooku is gone completely.

the episode 1 section is about - 1hr 25min, the episode 2 section is about 53 min (with 3 deleted scenes back in), and the episode 3 section is about 1hr 45 min (with numerous deleted scenes added). i didn't plan on 4 hours, but that's how it ended up.... oh, and none of those include the credits.. which will all run consecutively at the end.

oh, and i just read about the "star wars reborn" project... where they are editing them all in a godfather II type style... flashbacks from luke's story back to anakin's.... wow, that is a cool idea. bloody brilliant. wish i had thought of it. i can't wait to watch it.

ron2112

Reaction score
Trophy Points
lewis886 said:
Well, yes, some of the die-hard star wars fans might not like it, but oh well. i don't mind.
Actually, the more of the prequels you cut out, the more likely the die-hard fans are to like it! :smile:

to give you a hint of how drastic i've been... count dooku is gone completely.
Sure, I could see that working. Count me among those very interested in watching this edit!

Ron Moses

jamiemark

Faneditor
Reaction score
Trophy Points
This sounds very interesting. I'm sure if you have any snags picture quality wise, there are plenty of experts here that can help you out.

InfoDroid

Faneditor
Reaction score
Trophy Points
Sounds like a cool idea, Lewis! Very interesting take, putting them all into one film. I can see that working pretty well.

I'd love to see it when it's finished.

And thanks for the props for SW: Reborn! :)

lewis886

Faneditor
Reaction score
Trophy Points
Thanks for all the encouragement. I am glad you guys are interested in this idea too. and yes, i'm a big star wars fan (obviously), so i can understand your comment about the more i take out the happier star wars fans will be. ;)

another hint... jango fett is different... in that you never see his face and you never hear him talk... he is just there and does what he does... and boba is completely gone. it was surprisingly easy to edit most of jango's lines and face out in the chase scene in the asteroids around geonosis. worked very well there.
also the order in which specific scenes happen is often changed mostly in the EP2 and some in the EP3 sections.

Faustus

Reaction score
Trophy Points
lewis886, this sounds really promising! I look forward to watching it!
I once also thought of the Star Wars Prequels, focussing on the Clone Wars. It would be mostly Attack of the Clones and Revenge of the Sitth, with some scenes from The Phantom Menace (not many) as flashbacks. I went as far as making a few pages of notes and watching the films with the express purpose of identifying the usable footage, but I never edited it.
Do you have any idea how are you to share it? PIF, Rapidshare or Torrent?

boon23

Faneditor
Cover Artist
Reaction score
Trophy Points
I'd say: either seed it yourself or let a few of our seeders have it, so it will get spread.

InfoDroid

Faneditor
Reaction score
Trophy Points
Wow.... That approach to Jango Fett sounds incredible, but awfully ambitious. If you can pull it off, it'll be amazing, because I think that's exactly what that character needs.

lewis886

Faneditor
Reaction score
Trophy Points
well, getting rid of jango's lines and face was quite a bit easier than getting rid of Count Dooku in EP2. that was rather difficult. also, i just realized last night that since i got rid of dooku, i no longer have an explanation for how anakin lost his arm... but nothing i can do about that. i guess we just assume he lost it in the war at some point. oh well, i'm not george, so i can't make up a new scene every time i want to change something ;)

boon23

Faneditor
Cover Artist
Reaction score
Trophy Points
well, let's assume his arm just gets improved instead of replaced. Losing an arm is rather important, at least someone should mention it.

lewis886

Faneditor
Reaction score
Trophy Points
oh, and no i really don't have any ideas how i'll share it... i've been working on it for months (on and off), but i only found this site a few days ago. whatever you guys think will probably work for me.

lewis886

Faneditor
Reaction score
Trophy Points
oh, and the podrace takes only 5 min in this, and most of jar jar's lines are gone, and when a gungan does talk, i've messed up the audio with effects so it just sounds like an alien language.

InfoDroid

Faneditor
Reaction score
Trophy Points
All of those sound like major steps in the right direction. :smile:

Heinrich

Reaction score
Trophy Points
lewis!!! if you were a goodlooking girl (I suppose you are a dude) and wouldn?t live far away I would kiss you for this wonderful idea. I just sat through episode 3 which I thought was the best (if you can really say that) of the prequels. I didn?t remember it to be that cheesy. So one big movie out of the three? Why didn?t ole George come up with this idea?

Hopefully we can enjoy this soon. I definitely know a few people that are veeery interested in this...

If it is up on some torrent side you can count me in for seeding it....

lewis886

Faneditor
Reaction score
Trophy Points
thanks heinrich... yes, i'm definitely a dude, so please don't kiss me. but i'm glad you're excited about it. sorry it's not done yet... but i don't get a whole lot of time to work on it... and i'm getting ready to move.. so not much time... but i'm pretty close to finishing it.

yeah, i defnitely thought that EP3 was the best of the 3 as well. i left it the most intact of the 3 too. it is about 1hr 45 min. something that i took out of it might surprise people though... but i had to, i didn't feel it really served the story... and count dooku was no longer in the trilogy...

InfoDroid

Faneditor
Reaction score
Trophy Points
Heinrich said:
So one big movie out of the three? Why didn?t ole George come up with this idea?

Because he wanted to milk the cash-cow for all it's worth, by stretching out a few paragraphs of his notes from the 70's into 3 full-blown movies. That's why we're left with little important content and lots and lots of filler.

He should've made one movie. If he wanted to make two more after that, he could've made 'em with Vader in the suit.

Top Bottom