• Most new users don't bother reading our rules. Here's the one that is ignored almost immediately upon signup: DO NOT ASK FOR FANEDIT LINKS PUBLICLY. First, read the FAQ. Seriously. What you want is there. You can also send a message to the editor. If that doesn't work THEN post in the Trade & Request forum. Anywhere else and it will be deleted and an infraction will be issued.
  • If this is your first time here please read our FAQ and Rules pages. They have some useful information that will get us all off on the right foot, especially our Own the Source rule. If you do not understand any of these rules send a private message to one of our staff for further details.
  • Please read our Rules & Guidelines

STAR WARS: Rise of Skywalker - Anti-Cringe-Cut

DonKamillo

Faneditor
Reaction score
Trophy Points
full

Here we go...

----------

UPDATE: FINAL CUTLIST

Summary:
  • Different crawl text
  • Leia stays dead
  • Luke is still alive.
  • Multiple scenes that connect TLJ and TRoS (instead of separating them with all the backpedaling)
  • The Wayfinder is not needed to find Exagol. It's not plugged into ships and is never mentioned throughout the movie. It only appears once as a nameless artifact when Rey grabs it at the Death Star ruins where Kylo destroys it.
  • The Emperor's broadcast is heard at the beginning of the movie
  • There is no spy in the First Order
  • There's no such thing as lightspeed skipping
  • The Falcon is not treated like trash (set on fire, crash-landed etc.)
  • Lando is introduced much later
  • There's no secret Finn wants to tell Rey
  • Appearances and mentions of Knights of Ren are reduced
  • There's no force healing
  • No "Matrix jump" from Rey
  • No invincible Kylo Ren (surviving that crash in the desert unscathed)
  • Kylo's ship survives the desert encounter
  • Reveal of Chewie being alive comes not right after his "death" but a little later
  • Poe is/was not a spice runner
  • Zorri's role is reduced to being Babu Frik's assistant/translator
  • Poe and Zorri do not know each other before meeting on Kijimi
  • No magic coin to get into Star Destroyers
  • Poe, Finn and Chewie do not go an a stormtrooper killing spree
  • Rey is not related to Palpatine
  • Hux is not killed by General Pryde
  • There's no hidden mechanism in the dagger
  • Jannah's role is reduced. Finn and her do not bond over exchanging old First Order stories
  • Rey has not magically learned how to steer skimmers through storms. She is taken to the Death Star ruins by Jannah
  • Instead of Leia calling out to Kylo on the Death Star, Luke is
  • Kylo dies on the Death Star
  • Luke and Leia didn't know anything about Rey's heritage
  • R2D2 does not restore C3PO's memory
  • There's no ground invasion (aka horses on a space ship) in the battle of Exagol
  • The Emperor does not change his mind back and forth on how to deal with Rey
  • Rey does not die after her battle with the Emperor
  • Different lightsaber colors for Leia and Rey (the one she made herself)

Cuts:
  • Kylo murdering random people on a random planet and finding the Wayfinder there
  • The whole scene with Kylo and the Emperor (moved to my Definitive ACC of TLJ)
  • Boolio mentioning Leia and a spy in the First Order
  • Light-speed skipping
  • Rey's "Be with me" moment and talking to Leia
  • Kylo touching Vader's mask (moved to TLJ DACC)
  • Millenium Falcon being on fire from all the light-speed skipping
  • An extra shouting "We need a fire crew in the back!" as Rey approaches the Falcon for the first time
  • Rey and Poe bickering and talking about spies and light-speed skipping
  • Poe mentioning the spy and delivering quality dialogue like "Somehow Palpatine returned"
  • Charlie/Merry talking about dark science and Sith cloning
  • Rey looking at Leia
  • Poe talking to Leia about Palpatine's return
  • Rey talking to Leia about the Wayfinder
  • Rey telling Poe he was right before (as the bickering scene was cut)
  • Rose's excuse to not be in the movie
  • Rey saying good bye to Leia
  • Storm Troopers mentioning the Knights of Ren
  • Kylo's goons analyzing the origin of the necklace
  • Lando shooting the stormtrooper and the rest of his scene in the desert
  • Everybody forgetting that "They fly now"
  • Finn's "Rey I never told you..." moment
  • Leia getting informed of the raid on the desert festival
  • Rey asking Finn what he wanted to tell her
  • Finn mentioning the shifty stuff Poe's been doing
  • Crew mentioning Occhi in the desert
  • All mentions of the Wayfinder in the cave.
  • Rey force healing the serpant
  • Knights of Ren standing on a rock doing nothing
  • Rey's Matrix jump
  • Hux informing General Pryde that they've made a valuable prisoner and (early) reveal that Chewie is alive
  • Finn mentioning that the dagger had the location of the Wayfinder on it while discussing with the others what to do next.
  • Confrontation/Fight with Zorri Bliss and "reveal" that Poe was a spice runner
  • Zorri leading them to the underground blacksmith.
  • Finn teasing Poe because he was a spice runner
  • Zorri leading them into the backroom of the underground club
  • Zorri asking Poe who he's hanging out with that speaks Sith
  • Roof scene with Zorri and Poe
  • C3PO mentioning the Wayfinder in the translated message, and also saying that the dagger will show the spot
  • Poe saying good bye to Zorri and her giving him the magic open-sesame-coin
  • Poe inserting the magic coin in Occhi's ship
  • Poe and Finn mowing down hords of storm troopers while escaping with Chewie without using any cover
  • Poe, Finn and Chewie getting captured
  • Poe and Finn being brought in front of General Pryde and sent away to be executed
  • Kylo's saying "I can't tell you" to Rey after he asks her if she knows why the Emperor wants her dead and she answers "No"
  • Execution scene and Poe, Finn and Chewie finding out that Hux is the spy
  • Hux freeing Poe, Finn and Chewie and telling Finn to shoot him in the leg
  • Kylo telling Rey that she's Palpatine's granddaughter and talking about their family tree
  • General Pryde shooting Hux for being the spy
  • Rey saying "All that matters is The Wayfinder" and Finn responding "That's what we're doing"... (some quality dialogue right there)
  • Poe crashing the Falcon (again) before our heroes approach the ruins of the Death Star
  • Rey discovering the dagger's "hidden mechanism" and finding the specific spot she has to go to
  • Jannah telling our heroes that she can take them to the wreck the next day
  • Poe talking about fixing the Falcon
  • Everybody fixing up the Falcon and Finn and Jannah exchanging First Order stories
  • Everybody discovering that Rey took the skimmer
  • Rey steering the skimmer
  • Finn and Poe getting in a fight for no reason
  • Jannah telling Finn that there's another skimmer
  • Rey fighting Dark Rey and Dark Rey showing her teeth "Bilbo style".
  • Kylo mentioning Leia in front of Rey
  • Maz telling us how Leia is preparing to die
  • Leia calling out for Kylo
  • Leia dying
  • Rey healing Kylo
  • Everybody standing around Leia
  • Poe and Finn returning to speak to the General, just to learn that she's dead
  • Emperor mentioning the princess of Alderaan crossing him
  • Rose mentioning to Poe that Leia made him acting General
  • Rey throwing her lightsaber and Luke catching it
  • Luke asking Rey what she's doing here
  • Luke saying that he was wrong and that fear kept him on the island
  • Luke revealing that he knew Rey was a Palpatine all along and that Leia knew too
  • Luke and Rey talking about Leia training her
  • Luke talking to Rey that there are some things stronger than blood referring to her connection to Palpatine
  • Luke saying "A thousand generations live in you now" to Rey
  • Rey saying that she can't get to Exagol because she doesn't have the Wayfinder
  • Rey taking out the other Wayfinder from Kylo's ship
  • R2D2 restoring C3PO's memory
  • Wayfinder being plugged into Luke's X-wing while Rey flies to Exagol
  • Finn mentioning a ground team when discussing the battle plan
  • Every shot showing/referring to the ground battle on Exagol (there's a bunch of them)
  • Palpatine saying that he waited for his grandchild to come home
  • Palpatine calling Rey "Empress Palpatine"
  • Palpatine talking about it being Rey's birth right to rule because they share the same blood
  • Palpatine saying that he wants Rey to kill him because his spirit will pass into her and they'll be one
  • Jannah telling Finn that she'll stay with him on the ground
  • Emperor telling Rey that with her hatred she will take his life
  • Emperor saying that the only Family Rey has, is him
  • Emperor telling Rey to strike him down
  • Ground troops fighting during Emperor's speech to Rey
  • Poe saying "Call off the ground invasion" during the battle on Exagol
  • Kylo arriving at Exagol to help Rey
  • Finn trying to sacrifice himself for no reason (again)
  • Kylo fighting the knights of Ren
  • Kylo coming to Rey's aid against the Emperor's guards
  • Kylo going to Rey and both facing the Emperor together
  • Emperor mentioning the dyad of the force (as there isn't one anymore)
  • Finn shouting at Lando from the ground that he knew he'll come through
  • Zorri calling Poe spice runner during the final battle
  • Kylo lying on the ground next to Rey
  • Emperor throwing Kylo in a pit
  • Finn plugging in a cable which makes the Star Destroyer destroy itself
  • Rose telling Poe that Finn is still on the command ship, while it's going up in flames
  • Lando saving Finn and Jannah
  • Rey dying
  • Finn sensing that Rey died
  • Kylo getting out of the pit and force healing Rey
  • Reylo Kiss and Kylo dying
  • Maz giving Chewie the medal
  • JJ's LBGTQ pandering
  • Creepy Lando/Jannah scene

Changes/Additions:
  • New Crawl Text explaining Luke's absence from most of the movie and making Poe the new General
  • Mask repair scene moved to beginning with Emperor's broadcast (and new music)
  • While training in the beginning of the movie, Rey has only visions related to her
  • Kylo's dialogue in the briefing room changes from mentioning a treacherous spy among them to an unknown traitor sending a message to the resistance
  • C3PO's dialogue in the cave changes. The dagger inscription show's not the way to the Wayfinder but is a clue Luke was looking for
  • Rey communicates with the serpant through the force, remembering Luke's first lesson in TLJ
  • The light coming from outside the cave has a warmer color
  • Kylo's ship is not destroyed by Rey in the desert. It's parked in the background as he approaches her.
  • Poe leads our heroes to Babu Frik instead of Zorri
  • Added "Dark Rey" flashback as Kylo is telling Rey that she has the same powers as the Emperor
  • Instead of fighting "Dark Rey", the scene plays out creepier. Dark Rey just talks to her and moves to strike and Rey, startled by the encounter, moves back and falls to the ground
  • Kylo's line to Rey on the Death Star changes from "You wanted to prove to Leia that you're a Jedi but you're something else" to "You wanted to prove that you're a Jedi..."
  • Instead of Leia calling out to Kylo, he is distracted by Luke, who apologizes for failing him
  • Luke is shocked when Rey stabs Kylo. After stabbing him, she remembers how Luke warned her (in TLJ) that saving Ben will not go as she thinks. She leaves Kylo to his fate, running away in tears.
  • Moved scene where the Emperor talks to General Pryde before Kylo's scene with Han
  • Kylo is redeemed and becomes one with the force after his father asks him to come home
  • Luke is not a force ghost anymore ^^
  • Luke does not appear to Rey from out of the fire but comes down the steps. He stares at Rey, still a bit shocked from what she did. When Rey sees him, she looks down in shame.
  • Different color for Leia's lightsaber when we see her train with Luke
  • Rey is not holding the other Wayfinder in her hand while she watches Luke raise his X-Wing. Instead we can assume, that either he told her how to get to Exagol or the location is saved in the ship's system
  • Instead of calling Rey "Empress Palpatine", the Emperor just calls her "Empress" daring her to come to the dark side
  • The Emperor's line changes from "She will strike me down and pledge herself as a Sith" to just "She will pledge herself as a Sith"
  • Inserted memories of the dead (Han, Leia, Kylo) from TFA and TLJ while Rey is thinking of what to do
  • Added a line for Rey that she refuses to take part in the ritual
  • Added shot of Lando saying "Come on Chewie" right after we see the Falcon arrive at Exagol, instead of him just laughing
  • Instead of saying "Zorri, you made it" Poe just says "you made it" referring to Babu Frik
  • Different color for Leia's lightsaber when Rey uses both sabers against the Emperor
  • Added scene where after Rey defeats the Emperor, she senses Luke becoming one with the force (re-purposed ending from TLJ ACC).
  • Leia's body disappears after Luke becomes on with the force. Their bond was so strong that she couldn't "leave" without him.
  • Rey's lightsaber staff has a different color

RUNTIME: 100 min

TRAILER:

COVER ART:

full

Last edited:

Zarius

Faneditor
Reaction score
Trophy Points
Exciting times ahead...you did such a great job on Last Jedi. How are we gonna fix this one? :cool:

DonKamillo

Faneditor
Reaction score
Trophy Points
Zarius said:
Exciting times ahead...you did such a great job on Last Jedi. How are we gonna fix this one? :cool:

I have a couple of ideas and there will be more info in the coming days/weeks as I'm trying stuff out right now in the VFX department. The most important thing for me is to be consistent with two major decisions I made in the last one...

• Leia stays dead
  • Luke is still alive

Regarding everything else I welcome any constructive ideas of what everyone would like to see in the TRoS Anti Cringe Cut ;)

wilhelm scream

Faneditor
Reaction score
Trophy Points
Remove everything from finding the dagger, until they reach the death star. It removes Chewie's fake-out death and the side-trip to Poe's love interest. The only problem is that it would remove the truth about Rey's parents, which would either need to be moved to the Last Jedi (and I wouldn't want you to go through the pain of having to re-edit it again), or to their confrontation on the death star.

Zarius

Faneditor
Reaction score
Trophy Points
DonKamillo said:
Zarius said:

I have a couple of ideas and there will be more info in the coming days/weeks as I'm trying stuff out right now in the VFX department. The most important thing for me is to be consistent with two major decisions I made in the last one...

• Leia stays dead
  • Luke is still alive

Regarding everything else I welcome any constructive ideas of what everyone would like to see in the TRoS Anti Cringe Cut ;)

Definitely use Palpatine's message, but have the resistance listen to it (or at the very least portions of it), rather than just be told Palps is back by Poe. Maybe move up Rey's training (where we first see her) to later in the film, maybe try to make it look like she's trying to complete what Luke was trying to do with her, gearing up for a showdown with the Emperor.

DigModiFicaTion

DᴉმWoqᴉԷᴉcɑꓕᴉou
Staff member
Faneditor
Reaction score
Trophy Points
Thread Moved from Fixes, Mixes & TV to ITW.

As per our policy, fanedits of new releases must stay in the ideas or ITW area until 15 days after an official physical release before they will be accepted into any of the approved editor fanedit discussion forums or to be submitted to the academy/ifdb.

This title's physical release is March 31st, so April 15th is the earliest an edit for this movie can be submitted.

For further information about this new policy see this thread.

Thanks! :)

macmilln

Reaction score
Trophy Points
Canon Editor said:
You could even have Leia's lightsaber be purple.

But...
DonKamillo said:
  • Leia stays dead

¯\_(ツ)_/¯

EDIT: Wait nevermind, Leia uses her lightsaber in the flashback, doesn't she? Forget if anybody else gets it after that. There's no facepalm emoji but if there was I'd be using it.

DonKamillo

Faneditor
Reaction score
Trophy Points
macmilln said:
Canon Editor said:
You could even have Leia's lightsaber be purple.

But...
DonKamillo said:
  • Leia stays dead

¯\_(ツ)_/¯

EDIT: Wait nevermind, Leia uses her lightsaber in the flashback, doesn't she? Forget if anybody else gets it after that. There's no facepalm emoji but if there was I'd be using it.

Rey also uses Leia's saber...

...against Palpatine in the finale...

...so it has a bit more screen time than the flashback ;)

Masirimso17

Cover Artist
Reaction score
Trophy Points
^That’d be a nightmare to edit with the color grade and everything

DonKamillo

Faneditor
Reaction score
Trophy Points
After pondering on how to connect both TLJ and TRoS, I decided to change the ending of my TLJ Anti-Cringe-Cut. While the old ending was hopeful and had a finality to it, the new one is much darker and hammers in the fact, that you're watching the second movie in a trilogy.

Of course my changes are up for debate and not final but I'm quite happy with the result as...

• ...Luke still lives
  • ...I manage to eliminate the whole wayfinder nonsense, at least on Kylo's side (still have to see if I can remove it completely from the plot in TRoS)
  • ...the ending is IMO much more exciting and would've left the viewer wanting more if they had seen it like that in the theaters 

I'm not sure if I'm allowed to post a clip though, as it obviously contains footage from TRoS...

Canon Editor

Reaction score
Trophy Points
I don't think I understood this fully. What you're talking about in spoilers is the ending to your TLJ edit, right? But what wayfinder nonsense did you remove from it, as there are no wayfinders in TLJ?

DonKamillo

Faneditor
Reaction score
Trophy Points
Canon Editor said:
I don't think I understood this fully. What you're talking about in spoilers is the ending to your TLJ edit, right? But what wayfinder nonsense did you remove from it, as there are no wayfinders in TLJ?

It's easier to explain, once you've seen the clip ;)

Waiting for a staff member to chime in before I post it though...

Moe_Syzlak

Reaction score
Trophy Points
I enjoyed your cut of TLJ, though I ultimately ended up with my own hybrid edit in which Luke and Leia’s fate is the same as the theatrical. I’ll be interested to see what you do with this movie. Though I enjoyed TLJ more, ironically I think I’d do fewer edits of this one. I mean it is what it is. There is no way I can see to have Palpatine totally removed from the movie. That would be my preferred way the movie would’ve gone. But with the direction they went, I think my preferred edit would simply be trimming set pieces for pacing reasons along the same lines as eliminating Canto Bight. There’s definitely at least one too may MacGuffins. I’d also want to see if some new characters could be removed. There’s entirely too many new characters for the third episode of a trilogy IMO. All that said, I look forward to seeing what you’ve come up with, even in cutlist form.

DonKamillo

Faneditor
Reaction score
Trophy Points
Moe_Syzlak said:
There is no way I can see to have Palpatine totally removed from the movie.

Unfortunately me neither. That's why I'll keep him in the movie. However in my version ...

...he will not be "every voice inside Kylo's head" and Snoke was not created by him. The pickled Snokes will be removed as well ;)

I just got word, that it's okay to post stuff, so instead of posting a short clip, I'll finish some editing and post the whole new ending of TLJ. Stay tuned :)

The Danger Zone

Reaction score
Trophy Points
I look forward to seeing how you plan on fixing this admittedly kickass finale. Personally, I found Palpatine even more intimidating in this than in the previous two trilogies.

Top Bottom