• Most new users don't bother reading our rules. Here's the one that is ignored almost immediately upon signup: DO NOT ASK FOR FANEDIT LINKS PUBLICLY. First, read the FAQ. Seriously. What you want is there. You can also send a message to the editor. If that doesn't work THEN post in the Trade & Request forum. Anywhere else and it will be deleted and an infraction will be issued.
  • If this is your first time here please read our FAQ and Rules pages. They have some useful information that will get us all off on the right foot, especially our Own the Source rule. If you do not understand any of these rules send a private message to one of our staff for further details.
  • Please read our Rules & Guidelines

STAR WARS REVISITED by Adywan

jedimasterluke

Reaction score
Trophy Points
I guess technology just wasn't advanced enough at that stage to allow for yellow lightsabers.
It’s ironic the only good things in the sequel trilogy were the upgraded lightsabers and the effects that you wish were available for the prequels. if only they were made much later the prequels wouldn’t look so bad effect wise.

ImperialFighter

Reaction score
Trophy Points
Well it's been a few months now since I posted any updates here about Adywan's ongoing project, as things been relatively quiet due to him having problems with his Revisited Saga Facebook page since November 2021.

However, here's the latest developments that he posted 3 weeks ago -

I'm Back!!!!
Well what a shit start to the year. facebook has finally given me back posting rights to this page after all he fuss with my phone number . Took them bloody long enough to accept it. I would have been back early last month but i had to go and get bloody covid. Knocked me for six and still suffering with the after effects. Energy levels of a 90 year old now. lol.
Anyway, since Facebook blocked me i decided to stay off the net and concentrate on working on ANH:R. Bloody hell i got so much done. Its surprising just how much longer its taking me to do each shot compared to when i did the same shots in the Standard Def version all those years ago. Working in HD really does slow things down. Rotoscoping especially. Things you could get away with when working in DVD res you just can't with HD. But it will be worth it in the end.
Work on ROTJ:R, at the moment, has almost halted. I want to get ANH:R HD out of the way first. Working on both at the same time became a bit of a nightmare. Burned me out almost. That doesn't mean to say that nothing is being done on it though. I'm about to start building some of the models that will hopefully be ready to shoot in the summer ( need the good weather to shoot some outside) . I'll also be tacking some of the FX shots when i take a break from ANH. But the majority won't start until ANH:R HD is complete and released

_______________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________

And here's what he just posted a couple of days ago about some planned CHANGES to his HD version of ANH:R compared to his original SD edit release -

1080p HD VERSION ( IN PROGRESS)

There will be some differences because i can’t recreate it 100% faithfully but it will be as close as possible. Although the edit will be closer to the “Purist” version i released and not the main version. But i won’t be taking any suggestions for changes/ fixes for the HD version

Planned differences so far between the original and HD version of ANH:R

1 - 2 audio tracks. One containing the prequel music during the Vader/ Obi-Wan duel and the other without

2 - No electrical effect on the torture droid needle

3 - Altered Mos Eisley entrance ( no mirrored stormtroopers) and a return to the original 1977 version of the music

4 - Final shot of Tarkin reinstated

5 - Spinning hyperspace jump starfield reinstated

6 - Removal of the Special Edition CG Dewback and Stormtrooper during the “I don’t like the look of this " scene,
instead just keeping the cg background addition which is less " in your face”

DROIDS.jpg

7 - Removing Yavin 4 from the SE shot of the X-wings approaching the Death Star. This was an error added for the
Special edition that didn’t exist prior. The Special Edition version now shows Yavin 4 in direct line of sight of
the Death Star. I replaced all of the background ships with the original ships used in the 1977 version, so it’s
now a mixture of original and Special Edition

SHIPS.jpg

8 - No extended Death Star battle sequence. It was something that was more of an experiment in my original version,
but it didn’t work, so it was removed when i did the “purist” version

9 - No extended Death Star reveal. Another sequence i don’t think worked too well in my original. Original timing and
music will be restored in the HD version. But the Death Star will still be orbiting the planet, as in the original
ANH:R, but it will now be Scarif

10 - Ponda Baba’s arm with the “furry hand” will be returning to the HD version. The “hoof” hand we see him have
earlier in the scene, while standing at the bar, will be replaced instead with the furry hands

11 - Obi-Wan ignites first during the Vader / Obi-Wan duel. I wasn’t able to fix the jump cut when he ignites
originally , but now i have been able to. Plus it was originally meant to mirror the ROTS duel where Obi-Wan
ignites first, but i prefer the way it was originally. The whole duel also will have different editing than in my
original version of ANH:R

12 - Most, if not all, jump cuts fixed or smoothed

13 - Droids added to the y-wings during the trench run that were originally missing from the models in that shot

YWINGS.jpg

14 - The sources used will be a mixture of the 2011 Blu-Ray and the new 2020 blu-ray. Both releases have major problems
with them but the over use and bad use of “power windows” in the 2020 version ( really horrendous masking where
the section power windows was used stick out like sore thumb and over brightening of areas of a shot that destroys
the original cinematography)tipped the scales in favour of the 2011 version being used as the main source. In many
way the 2020 version is worse than the 2011 version ever was. Although for ROTJ:R, it will be the 2020 blu-ray
used because the 2011 version has more major problems

15 - Fixed Vaders helmet during the Death Star battle where it has slipped back due to being pressed against the TIE
fighter seat

vader.jpg

NOTE - ignore the overly-saturated eye colour on the HD shot above as there was a problem with it. Here's the correct comparison shot below -

Image9.jpg

Okay, that's your lot for now.

Last edited:

ImperialFighter

Reaction score
Trophy Points
A week ago, Adywan releasesd this sneak peek at his new ANH:R HD edit of the Obi-Wan/ Vader duel, which differs a little from his original SD version.
In the final version there will be two audio tracks: The main 5.1 track will be the music-less version, while track 2 will have the added music as heard in the original SD version of ANH:R (hit the 'Full screen' icon for a better look) -

Marvellous work as usual.

Last edited:

Phase3

Donor
Faneditor
Reaction score
Trophy Points
That looks fantastic! The colours in the Lightsaber blades look so vivid.

ImperialFighter

Reaction score
Trophy Points
Okay, the bad news is that Adywan actually previewed another excellent comparison video (featuring the Jawas selling the droids to Owen on Tatooine) at the end of September last year.....but I wasn't able to post it here as his YouTube, Facebook, and Vimeo attempts were very quickly taken down at the time unfortunately.

However, the GOOD news is that he's just recently previewed a new comparison video of his HD version of ANH Revisited, and here it is -

(as ever, once you press PLAY,, click on the bottom right icon to ENLARGE for maximum effect)

Last edited:

Phase3

Donor
Faneditor
Reaction score
Trophy Points
Those revisions look fantastic! I can't wait for this to be released!

Ray Danger

Faneditor
Reaction score
Trophy Points
I always liked the one eyed Jawa... Adds a bit of character. Great looking "fix" though.

As with all the amazing changes & fixes, I'm also more than impressed with the level of clarity & sharpness of the picture!
Looks great, can't wait!

ImperialFighter

Reaction score
Trophy Points
Adywan's LATEST UPDATE on his HD redo of STAR WARS REVISITED, which he's just posted -

Now this is something i have been wanting to talk about for ages, but didn't know if i would be able to pull it off. But, thankfully, i have been able to achieve what i set out to do. Now i'm talking about the crushed blacks problem with the 2011 blu-rays. I had an idea about recovering the missing shadow detailing by using the 2020 blu-rays to overlay just the dark areas onto the 2011 footage. Well, it isn't as simple as that because there are vast differences in cropping, frame warping & different stabilisation between the two sources. So i had to go through each shot, frame by frame, and manually align the two sources, then mask out the areas i didn't want, keeping only the detail in the dark areas. And i'm pleased to say that it turned out pretty good.

2011 Blu-ray

1-2011.jpg

ANHR:HD

1-rev.jpg

2011 Blu-ray

2-2011.jpg

2-rev.jpg

now i can hear you saying "why go to all that work when you could have just replaced those shots with the 2020 Blu-Ray?" Well, to put it bluntly, the 2020 ANH blu-ray is crap. It's been so heavily scrubbed, along with its flat grading, so much detail has either been erased completely or almost none existent. Take this shot for instance. Just look at the droids panelling (or lack of) on the 2020 Blu-ray, compared to how it looks when using the 2011 blu-ray as a source.

droid.jpg

And then there are SE shots that don't even look like they're in HD, they are so soft and blurry.

2011 Blu-ray

5-2020.jpg

5-rev.jpg

What the hell has happened to all the textures on the buildings? So i will be sticking to the 2011 Blu-rays as my primary source. Although there are some scenes or shots that do look better in the 2020 version, so i have swapped out a lot of their 2011 counterparts with those shots and scenes from the 2020 source. It's pretty much a hybrid.

I get asked a lot "how much have you got left to do?" Well, it's hard to answer this without counting all the shots left to do. A rough estimate is that it's around 90% complete on the video side of things. But there is still a lot of the hard work left to do, which mainly involves lengthy rotoscoping. I've got a lot of the space battle shots left to do, a few shots in the Luke's trench run (adding the trench in the background in the cockpit shots), 3 or 4 shots in the cantina and various shots here and there throughout the second half of the movie. It isn't a lot left to do, but these are very time consuming ones to do. So please don't think that a release is imminent.

Another question i get asked regularly is "why is it taking so long when it only took you a couple of years to do it originally?" Well the simple answer is because i'm working in 1080p instead of 576p. There is so much you can get away with when doing effects work in SD compared to doing the same shot in 1080p. Rotoscoping for example. You can get away with not being too accurate when cutting out elements, like when replacing a background. In 1080p, you have to be a LOT more precise and this takes a hell of a lot longer per shot to accomplish. And, as with the original SD version, i am doing the majority of this work on my own.

There are going to be differences between this HD version and the original SD version. There are a few things i wasn't able to do when i first started doing these projects. Like this shot for instance.

2011 Blu-ray

4-2011.jpg

4-rev.jpg

Chewie isn't wearing his bandolier throughout this scene, apart from this shot when they jump into hyperspace. I wasn't able to fix this originally because of chewie's movement, but I have been able to now because I've learned new techniques. A bloody nightmare rotoscoping that fur though. This one shot took over 3 weeks to finish. Sometimes the shots that look the easiest turn out to be a nightmare to do.

Other changes that i have mentioned before are the extended space battle when the TIE's appear. That's not happening in the HD version. Most of the sources i used to make that were SD sources that, while looking ok in the original, would look like crap in 1080p. But the main reason is because it just doesn't work in ANH. There's not much space between dialogue in the yavin battle, whereas adding extra footage without dialogue would work perfectly well in ROTJ because of the way the space battle is structured. There is still going to be a new shot of many TIE's approaching the battle and maybe an extra shot or two following this, but the rest is not. And, no, it has nothing to do with any "purists" badgering me to keep it like the original. I was experimenting when i did the original and it is something that i just don't think works in the scope of the battle. it is 100% my decision.

Another thing that's going in this version is the extended scene where the sandtroopers are looking for the droids in the desert. For one, the CG there really doesn't hold up and another is that these aren't even ANH sandtroopers. They are using ROTJ helmets. So this scene is either going to be different to how it is now after i have been able to film some ANH style sandtroopers, or it will just go back to how it was in 1977 (which i think actually works better). I'm also going to replace the mirrored troopers in this shot thanks to the newly filmed troopers.

Image1.jpg

And why are all the troopers added to Mos Eisley in the Special Editions just plain stormtroopers and NOT Sandtroopers?

Onto the new Death Star plans (well not new because they featured in the original SD version). I see people complaining that having the red plans that match those seen in AOTC completely contradicts what we see in Rogue One. But not necessarily. It all depends on how you deal with it. Someone already guessed what i was planning on doing, but now you can see it for yourselves (albeit in low res gif). Might take time to load in your browser depending on your internet speed.

Click on the link below to see the NEW version of the Death Star plans shot -

One last thing; today marks the last day i will ever rotoscope & enhance a blue lightsaber. I finished the very last Obi-Wan shot (Vader striking him down) earlier today and that will be my last for the Revisited saga. Moving onto green ones for ROTJ. I've seen some claim that i just use the videocopilot saber plugin to do the lightsabers, but i can assure you they are all done by hand, frame by frame.

So that's it for now. Back to work on ANH:R for me.

As usual, some incredible work being done here.

Last edited:

Ray Danger

Faneditor
Reaction score
Trophy Points
Lookin' good!
Where's Ady sharing news now? Is the wordpress site dead?

ImperialFighter

Reaction score
Trophy Points
Where's Ady sharing news now? Is the wordpress site dead?

The latest info I posted here was put up on the OT site by Adywan the other day, although the wordpress site hasn't mentioned them yet.

In fact, there's a couple of other little tidbits that I missed over the last couple of months, which I'll add here when I have more time. :)

The Scribbling Man

Tenant of the Tower of Flints
Staff member
Donor
Faneditor
Reaction score
Trophy Points
He linked to the post on FB as well. He still shares there a lot.

The Scribbling Man

Tenant of the Tower of Flints
Staff member
Donor
Faneditor
Reaction score
Trophy Points
Well, as I just said, he shared a link to his most recent post just the other day. So it's obviously still active. He might share more regularly other places, but any time i've seen a big update posted here I've seen it first on FB.

ImperialFighter

Reaction score
Trophy Points
In my previous post back in April, I mentioned that there were a couple of additional tidbits which Adywan previewed earlier this year that I'd also add here sometime.
Well now that I have a little time, here they are -

Adywan originally amended a scene of R2's sudden movement through the alleys of Mos Eisley to smooth it out better - he did this by recolouring R2 to look like a random RED unit in one of the shots, while adding a glimpse of R2 in another portion of the shot, which can be seen at the 2mins. 45 secs. mark in the ANH:R HD Sample Reel 2023 video I put up further back on this page.

But he decided to revise it further, and here is the result (as always, once you've pressed play, click on the ENLARGE icon at the bottom right of the video for maximum effect) -

And click on the link below for a comparison selection showing some of the other changes shown in that particular Sample Reel 2023 video (if you then click on the individual screenshots, they will ENLARGE for a better look) -

https://photos.app.goo.gl/vAm1r5o7PZtiuSjT9

And also click on the link below for something I was really hoping for - RED LIGHTS on the rear of the TIE Fighter chasing an X-Wing, which were inexplicably missing from the SE shot -

https://i.postimg.cc/xCrrjmRv/tie-shot-engines.gif

Excellent stuff as always from Adywan.

Last edited:

Phase3

Donor
Faneditor
Reaction score
Trophy Points
Fantastic work from Adywan as usual! Thanks for posting that. (y)

ImperialFighter

Reaction score
Trophy Points
And here's the lLATEST preview from Adywan posted 4 days ago which showcases more of his incredible enhancements for ANH: REVISITED HD -

A long overdue update…

Things are progressing really well with ANH:RHD. There’s only about 40 shots left to do. It may sound like a lot of shots but it’s not. Most of the film is complete. The remaining shots are mainly the CG work for the Yavin battle with a few shots here and there in other places. It’s looking very likely that it’s going to be a 2024 release now, hopefully mid year. The one thing that could hold things up is shooting the replacement Sandtroopers. I was hoping to get the shots i need filmed this year but we have had such a shit summer it became impossible. So that’s going to have to wait until next year when hopefully we’ll have some sunny days.

There may be a slightly extended section when the TIE’s appear during the Death Star battle, but it will be quite brief so there won’t be the problem with a long period of no dialogue like in the original ANH:R. The music will also be completely different during that part if i do it. The Imperial march WILL be present during the battle but not in the way it was in the Standard Def version. I’ve been doing some messing about and mixed a couple of tracks together so the music fits in with the style of the music heard during the battle. It works pretty well and, with a bit of tweaking, i think i can get it to work. So the chance of having that small extended battle really hinges on whether this new piece of music works or not.

There’s no way i can do any serious work on the video side of things for ROTJ:R until ANH:RHD is complete and released because ANH has almost filled up all of the new internal drives and most of the external ones i purchased because they are the backups. One 8tb external developed a fault that couldn’t be fixed but luckily i was able to replace that and recover all but one of the files that were on it. So once ANH is done and dusted i can start to empty the internal drives to continue work on ROTJ:R. So, at the moment, i have just enough space to complete ANH:R and render out the master file. Then it’s on to the audio mix.

But i will be starting to build the models etc for ROTJ:R early next year so i’ll keep you updated about those.

And now a few comparions…

Click here for the 1st new preview shot - https://i.postimg.cc/9Mc3MbPX/1.gif

Click here for the 2nd new preview shot - https://i.postimg.cc/j2WMdn1d/2.gif

I’ve replaced the temples in this shot to eliminate the fact that they use the same ones in the following shot, just from a slightly different angle, but it’s obvious its the same place. I’ve also removed the path that is visible in the original. I’ve also replaced the sky to match the sky in the shot that follows.

Click here for the 3rd new preview shot - https://i.postimg.cc/cC8cNyKv/3.gif

I’ve replaced the “dummy” Kenobi and Vader in this shot so it no longer seems like they are just standing there in the same position for ages in this scene. (Plus Vader is actually in a paused posture of having just struck down kenobi as this was actually a failed attempt of having the dummy sliced in half, being suspended on wires floating above the ground . You can see the dummy swinging)

Click here for the 4th new preview shot - https://i.postimg.cc/pLsvqcZ6/4-proper.gif

I’ve replaced the X-wings in this shot to give a more natural movement because the right hand side one seems like it is sliding towards the camera instead of flying past.

Click here for the 5th new preview shot - https://i.postimg.cc/BbGCs72N/5.gif

Click here for the 6th new preview shot - https://i.postimg.cc/vZD5Rwpb/6.gif

And finally, here's another clip from the HD version which Adywan released yesterday (and again, once you've pressed play, click on the ENLARGE icon on the bottom right of the video for maximum effect)

All in all, some simply stunning work being done on this.

Phase3

Donor
Faneditor
Reaction score
Trophy Points
Fantastic! What a great update; it won't be too long to wait until it's released.

ImperialFighter

Reaction score
Trophy Points
Merry Christmas to everyone.

All being well, the HD version of Star Wars Revisited may be released at some point in 2024, and Adywan has just previewed this latest clip below (NOTE - the audio is not fully completed on it)

As usual, after you've pressed play, click on the ENLARGE icon on the bottom right of the video for maximum impact -

Adywan also commented on a brief continuity error involving some green 'turbo lasers' still coming towards the X-wings (and the TIEs) at the 1 min. 10 sec. mark of the clip -

One thing that has always bothered me, which i have never seen anyone mention before, is this shot during Red Leaders trench run. The first X-wing to be destroyed by the TIES. Problem is, the lasers aren't coming from the TIEs, but from the turbo lasers down the trench. But the trench lasers stopped firing as soon as the Ties were about to enter the trench. So it looks like, with the effects being in their final stage, that originally one of the x-wing was to destroyed during the beginning of the run by the turret lasers before the TIEs appeared and it was changed late in the edit. So i removed the lasers from this shot.

2020-frame.jpg

revisited-01383.jpg

Last edited:
Top Bottom