• Most new users don't bother reading our rules. Here's the one that is ignored almost immediately upon signup: DO NOT ASK FOR FANEDIT LINKS PUBLICLY. First, read the FAQ. Seriously. What you want is there. You can also send a message to the editor. If that doesn't work THEN post in the Trade & Request forum. Anywhere else and it will be deleted and an infraction will be issued.
  • If this is your first time here please read our FAQ and Rules pages. They have some useful information that will get us all off on the right foot. More details on our policies, especially our Own the Source rule are available here. If you do not understand any of these rules send a private message to one of our staff for further details.
  • Favorite Edit of the Year (FEOTY) Nominations for 2020 are now open! Submit your entries here.

Star Wars: Revenge of the Sith - Expanded Edition

Bobson Dugnutt

Well-known member
Faneditor
Messages
1,114
Reaction score
54
Trophy Points
68
PaqIfNJ.png

By using Octorox's as a base and adding some of the BR scenes, and other stuff to make the longest cut of ROTS with finished effects.

ADDITIONS
 
  • Added the Jedi duo bumping into Grevious and seeing him execute Shaak Ti before escaping
  • Added some banter with Obi-Wan and Anakin while taking an elevator on the Invisible Hand
  • Added a new line from Dooku before the duel
  • Extended scene with Palpatine telling Anakin that he is taking control of the Jedi Council and making adjustments to the constitution
  • Added Windu, Kenobi and Yoda discussing what Palps is doing, and that there may be a plot to destroy them
  • Added scene with Bail, Padme and other senators discussing a course of action against Palps
  • Added another scene of senators saying they need to form an alliance in the Senete against Palps
  • Added the senators confronting Palps, and that a return to democracy is needed
  • Trim scene in Jedi War Room as dialogue is repeated from restored Windu/Yoda/Kenobi scene
  • Added 3 lines from The Clone Wars episode “Voices” to restore Qui-Gon Jinn’s voice to Yoda’s meditation
  • Added Yoda exiling himself to Dagobah

FINISHED CLIPS
WORKPRINT CLIPS (unfinished effects)


I've been experimenting with the Shaak Ti scene, and after seeing it used in TM2YC's Reborn edit, I think it's possible to use so I cut together two different versions and I'm unsure which is better. 

https://vimeo.com/407048412[/video]
https://vimeo.com/407823187[/video]


And I also tried replacing the redundant "lightsaber collection" line with some lines from the video game instead of cutting it, but unsure if it works.
https://vimeo.com/407869290[/video]
 

Jrzag42

Well-known member
Faneditor
Messages
2,707
Reaction score
86
Trophy Points
73
I am so excited for this. I shall watch the clips when I get the chance.
 

MusicEd921

Well-known member
Donor
Faneditor
Messages
1,538
Reaction score
39
Trophy Points
78
I will watch your updates with great interest
 

Jrzag42

Well-known member
Faneditor
Messages
2,707
Reaction score
86
Trophy Points
73
I definitely prefer the second version of the Shaak Ti scene.
 

Bobson Dugnutt

Well-known member
Faneditor
Messages
1,114
Reaction score
54
Trophy Points
68
musiced921 said:
I will watch your updates with great interest

KddgHsY.png


jrWHAG42 said:
I definitely prefer the second version of the Shaak Ti scene.

Is there a weird sense of teleportation in and out of the Shaak Ti deleted scene? Someone on OT said that it feels odd that Grevious transports from the bridge to that hallway, and I wasn't sure about the Jedi climbing out of the hole to them walking down another hallway. But I think the scene works best where it is in that 2nd cut
 

Jrzag42

Well-known member
Faneditor
Messages
2,707
Reaction score
86
Trophy Points
73
Watching the clip again, I definitely don't think there's a sense of teleportation. The Jedi aspect is a logical transition, I didn't realize that it was even spliced together at first (unlike the first two prequels, I'm not totally an expert on RotS). We don't know the full layout of this ship, where each room is located, how many hallways there are, there's nothing to hint that anything is out of place.
As for Grevious, the more I watch it, the more I see your point. Perhaps put the Grevious scene first, then the Jedi leaving R2, then the Shaak Ti scene. This way, there's an obvious passage of time so Grevious isn't teleporting. But, then there's the problem of transitioning from the Jedi leaving R2 to the Shaak Ti scene.
Another suggestion is to recut the Grevious scene. Start with him already in the room, and stop before he walks up to the front windows. In doing so, it's ambiguous where he was before the scene, which makes more sense than him entering the room and implying that he walks right back out. Plus, there's less distance traveled away from the door, so he can exit the door quicker theoretically, so the logical leap is slightly less present. If he's going to exit the room, he shouldn't walk away from the door.
If it's too complicated, then maybe the first version of the scene will be fine.
 

Bobson Dugnutt

Well-known member
Faneditor
Messages
1,114
Reaction score
54
Trophy Points
68
jrWHAG42 said:
Watching the clip again, I definitely don't think there's a sense of teleportation. The Jedi aspect is a logical transition, I didn't realize that it was even spliced together at first (unlike the first two prequels, I'm not totally an expert on RotS). We don't know the full layout of this ship, where each room is located, how many hallways there are, there's nothing to hint that anything is out of place.
As for Grevious, the more I watch it, the more I see your point. Perhaps put the Grevious scene first, then the Jedi leaving R2, then the Shaak Ti scene. This way, there's an obvious passage of time so Grevious isn't teleporting. But, then there's the problem of transitioning from the Jedi leaving R2 to the Shaak Ti scene.
Another suggestion is to recut the Grevious scene. Start with him already in the room, and stop before he walks up to the front windows. In doing so, it's ambiguous where he was before the scene, which makes more sense than him entering the room and implying that he walks right back out. Plus, there's less distance traveled away from the door, so he can exit the door quicker theoretically, so the logical leap is slightly less present. If he's going to exit the room, he shouldn't walk away from the door.
If it's too complicated, then maybe the first version of the scene will be fine.

I think the entrance is okay as that is the film's introduction to him, with his theme blaring and all. I do think that cutting the last shot with him walking towards the window may all that needs to be done to fix it, however I'll see if I can shift around the R2 and Jedi piece to make things work. 

Motleys Fanedits said:
Will there be a 'workprint' version of this cut... or is this already it?

I was going to make an additional workprint cut with the 4 scenes with unfinished effects, but the "Escape from the General" with the fuel tanks doesn't quite work as there is missing footage, and the Escape Through the Hanger doesn't work as it doesn't line up with the theatrical continuity of characters, and is also a headache of unfinished effects for not a lot of worthwhile material. 
So I chose to fix up the Jedi Clones scene with some new rescoring, and the Yoda/Qui-Gon scene with new score (borrowed from Empire) and a new voiceover from The Clone Wars animated show pieced together from like 4 or 5 different scenes and edited to flow together nicely. 
But now that only adds something like a minute of unfinished alternate scenes, which may not be worth releasing as a full cut, but great to watch on their own, which I'm happy to include as a bonus feature.
 

Canon Editor

Well-known member
Messages
1,654
Reaction score
1
Trophy Points
43
I really like the 2nd version of the Shaak Ti scene. Well done. I also had never seen the extended Palpatine and Anakin conversation scene. That’s great.

Also, regarding the videogame dialogue, I really liked the 2nd one best.
 

Bobson Dugnutt

Well-known member
Faneditor
Messages
1,114
Reaction score
54
Trophy Points
68
Switched up the Shaak Ti scene once more by moving the Grevious intro back again and splitting the hanger scene in half, implying that R2 takes time to find Palps, as well as trimming the Grevious walk to the window to move things along a bit faster. 

 

Bobson Dugnutt

Well-known member
Faneditor
Messages
1,114
Reaction score
54
Trophy Points
68
Also, here’s the other Shaak Ti death, I’ve reworked some of the audio but the sheer amount of blasters, lightsabers, and sounds that need to be added is astronomical so it shall remain unused. I mean I could just redo the shot from the theatrical cut so that the audio flows seemlessly, but that is a gigantic task I feel.

 

Jrzag42

Well-known member
Faneditor
Messages
2,707
Reaction score
86
Trophy Points
73
Bobson Dugnutt said:
Switched up the Shaak Ti scene once more by moving the Grevious intro back again and splitting the hanger scene in half, implying that R2 takes time to find Palps, as well as trimming the Grevious walk to the window to move things along a bit faster. 

This is PERFECT
 

Jrzag42

Well-known member
Faneditor
Messages
2,707
Reaction score
86
Trophy Points
73
Do you know roughly how long this edit will be? Or at least, how long all of the usable deleted scenes add up to?
 

Bobson Dugnutt

Well-known member
Faneditor
Messages
1,114
Reaction score
54
Trophy Points
68
jrWHAG42 said:
Do you know roughly how long this edit will be? Or at least, how long all of the usable deleted scenes add up to?

Somewhere around 2:28 or 2:29 I believe, so roughly 10 minutes of new footage.
 

CourtlyHades296

Well-known member
Messages
125
Reaction score
0
Trophy Points
16
How about doing a second cut with the other Shaak Ti death scene and HAL's revised ending?
 

Bobson Dugnutt

Well-known member
Faneditor
Messages
1,114
Reaction score
54
Trophy Points
68
CourtlyHades296 said:
How about doing a second cut with the other Shaak Ti death scene and HAL's revised ending?

I'll do one if I can fix up the sound mix on it, and then I'll make a workprint cut with the extended Yoda/Qui-Gon commune, Jedi Imposters and that Shaak scene. I won't use the HAL ending as that leans more into fanfix so I won't be using it.

Here's the probably the final cut of the Shaak Ti scene, I'm happy with it unless anyone else has some suggestions on what else to do with it

 

Canon Editor

Well-known member
Messages
1,654
Reaction score
1
Trophy Points
43
That's very good! Well done. The only very minor nitpick I have is at 00:35, as you can hear Grievous' cough still over the droids falling.
 

Bobson Dugnutt

Well-known member
Faneditor
Messages
1,114
Reaction score
54
Trophy Points
68
Here's an attempt at inserting a clip from Star Tours as a cutaway to pass time before Grevious moves from the bridge of the ship to the hallway. The start and end aren't the best quality, but I think it might work. I could trim the start as the quality is worst there but I'll see how it works or if I can find a better source.

 

Canon Editor

Well-known member
Messages
1,654
Reaction score
1
Trophy Points
43
That actually isn't a bad idea. The second part, as you said, has higher quality and is almost unnoticeable. Nonetheless, I don't know if it might be a bit too on the nose. Maybe the clip might work better as a shorter "interlude"? After it goes on for some time, I start to wonder where it's going to lead, since it seems to be a separate full scene, but then you're back on the ship with Obi-Wan and Anakin.
 

Jrzag42

Well-known member
Faneditor
Messages
2,707
Reaction score
86
Trophy Points
73
Definitely could work, definitely should be trimmed
 
Top Bottom