• Most new users don't bother reading our rules. Here's the one that is ignored almost immediately upon signup: DO NOT ASK FOR FANEDIT LINKS PUBLICLY. First, read the FAQ. Seriously. What you want is there. You can also send a message to the editor. If that doesn't work THEN post in the Trade & Request forum. Anywhere else and it will be deleted and an infraction will be issued.
  • If this is your first time here please read our FAQ and Rules pages. They have some useful information that will get us all off on the right foot, especially our Own the Source rule. If you do not understand any of these rules send a private message to one of our staff for further details.
  • Please read our Rules & Guidelines

Read BEFORE posting Trades & Request

Star Wars: Revenge of the Sith 'Another Happy Sanding'

octoroxx

Faneditor
Reaction score
Trophy Points
This edit is completed and is a follow-up to my previous prequel edits, Faster More Intense and Sanded Down.

It’s been almost a decade since I first dabbled with editing the prequels, and I think I finally have a trilogy I’m fairly happy with. Obviously I could keep making tweaks forever, but frankly I think I’m ready to put these projects behind me. “Another Happy Sanding” is ready for release and uploading as we speak. Please PM here or on originaltrilogy.com for more info.

This edit is in some ways a bit more conservative than my other two prequel edits, and probably one of the more conservative Revenge of the Sith edits in general. While the first two prequels are movies I don’t enjoy because of their flaws, ROTS is a movie that I enjoy despite it’s flaws, I just wish it could be better. My overall philosophy with this particular edit was to focus on making a lot of small changes that add up to something greater, rather than radically altering the structure or flow of the film. Like always, Hal9000’s edit was a big influence and a primary source for this edit, but “Another Happy Sanding” diverges from “Labyrinth of Evil” in that it attempts to preserve the original structure of the movie. Like in the original film, Anakin’s fears of Padme’s demise serve as the primary impetus for his fall.

While I’ve made some cuts of my own, I’ve also restored some fan-favorite lines and moments of camp, like most of Yoda & Palpatine’s duel. It’s silly, but it’s fun & inventive and I miss its presence in other edits. I hope this edit strikes a good balance for most people.

Like the theatrical film, Padme dies at the end of this edit. I went with this ending partially in order to preserve canon, and partially because I feel like it’s the natural conclusion the movie is leading up to. I’m honestly pretty divided on this particular question though, so I may at some point upload an “alternate ending” version that concludes like “Labyrinth of Evil”, with Padme living on Alderaan. Chime in if that’s something you’d like to see.

Other edits that influenced this one are Kerr’s “Dark Force Rising”, L8wrtr’s “Dawn of the Empire”, NFBism’s “New Canon Cut”, and SiliconMaster482’s “Rebalanced” edit. I also borrowed a snippet of video from Bobson Dugnutt’s “expanded edition”, which originally borrowed from my “extended edition”. The circle is now complete, as Anakin would say.

Sade1212 provided a visual effects shot that was originally created for Hal’s edit but never used. Keep an eye out for it.

Last but not least, here is the mostly complete, but not exhaustive, cut-list: https://docs.google.com/document/d/1g2NmJYOkNHSzvguMgKMvTYaCcPSQqwOKI6nQNjMoxQM/edit?usp=sharing

I hope you enjoy and may the Force be with you!

Thank you! I appreciate it. Knowing me I may come back to tinker, but at least all three edits are available to watch now.

Amazing! I've checked back so many times to see if the trilogy was complete, but I had pretty much given up hope. Thank you for rounding these out! By building on the best work that others have done (as well as adding some good touches of your own), you may have created the definitive cuts of these movies. :)

With the help of Possessed, I've fixed a small audio issue where a removed line could be heard faintly in the surround channels. I also removed a reference to Grievous being a “coward” since I just watched the Clone Wars microseries, and while there’s no bridging those two versions of the character, that line in particular bugged me. I’m exporting the new version right now and should have it available soon in the usual channels.

So I'm thinking of tweaking this edit. Mainly just making some additional trims in the opening act and reverting some audio borrowed from NFBisms since it never quite sounded right with a 5.1 mix. The only somewhat major change I was considering was removing Anakin telling Padme about his nightmares and having him keep it a secret. This would involve reshuffling some scenes as well. However I'm not sure if I should go down this route, since Hal's edit already pulls it off quite effectively and my edit has a reputation for being more conservative. Thoughts?

Here's a clip using some AI dialogue replacement. The idea is that Padme makes it explicit that Obi-Wan is the jedi she trusts to divulge her involvement with the proto-rebellion in the senate. This gives more credence to the idea that she is hiding something from Anakin: https://vimeo.com/manage/videos/898216277

(pw is fanedit)

So I'm thinking of tweaking this edit. Mainly just making some additional trims in the opening act and reverting some audio borrowed from NFBisms since it never quite sounded right with a 5.1 mix. The only somewhat major change I was considering was removing Anakin telling Padme about his nightmares and having him keep it a secret. This would involve reshuffling some scenes as well. However I'm not sure if I should go down this route, since Hal's edit already pulls it off quite effectively and my edit has a reputation for being more conservative. Thoughts?

It's been a while since I watched your edit but I believe recalling that the opening needing some extra trims were about the only complaint I had with it.

Thanks,
These are the changes I've made so far since that original version:

-Trimmed out Obi-Wan’s line “let them pass between us” in the opening space battle.

-Added back Anakin’s line “I’m not leaving without you master!” when Obi-Wan’s ship is being swarmed by the buzz droids,

-Cut the scene with Anakin and Obi-Wan vs. the battle droids in the elevator and the accompanying “Roger Roger” joke

-Used audio from Hal and L8wrtr to mute some of the droid voices throughout the opening. I originally wanted to leave these but trimming them is more consistent with my other two edits.

-Cut Palpatine telling Anakin to leave Obi-Wan behind on the Invisible Hand.

-Reverted two audio lines from NFBism's edit: "So are what doing this or what?" and "Hey", since I never felt they sounded completely right with my 5.1 audio mix. Also I think it's okay for Anakin to sometimes refer to Obi-Wan as master.

-Used AI voice cloning to make it explicit that Obi-Wan is the Jedi Padme trusts to divulge her involvement with the proto-rebellion in the senate

-Cut down the preamble to the Yoda/Emperor fight to match a little closer to L8wrtr and NFBism's edits.

-Cut Anakin and Obi-Wan’s dialogue on the floating platforms/robots by borrowing some audio from Spence

These changes and trims sound great. Can't wait until it's done.

Back
Top Bottom