• Most new users don't bother reading our rules. Here's the one that is ignored almost immediately upon signup: DO NOT ASK FOR FANEDIT LINKS PUBLICLY. First, read the FAQ. Seriously. What you want is there. You can also send a message to the editor. If that doesn't work THEN post in the Trade & Request forum. Anywhere else and it will be deleted and an infraction will be issued.
  • If this is your first time here please read our FAQ and Rules pages. They have some useful information that will get us all off on the right foot, especially our Own the Source rule. If you do not understand any of these rules send a private message to one of our staff for further details.
  • Please read our Rules & Guidelines

Star Wars: Return of the Jedi - The Spence Final Cut

spence

Faneditor
Reaction score
Trophy Points
Awesome, I hope you enjoy it. Thanks everyone for the reviews!

Ripplin

Reaction score
Trophy Points
I have this burned now and will watch, rate and review it soon. :)

spence

Faneditor
Reaction score
Trophy Points
Awesome!

I know there are some technical problems, and they will be addressed sooner rather than later. I don't think any of them are a deal breaker or ruin the movie, so I encourage those that are curious to still watch the current version, as time doesn't permit me to work on fixing it very much at the moment.

havok1977

Donor
Faneditor
Reaction score
Trophy Points
With such a great review posted above now I know for sure that this is a must watch, and now that I'm at home - with much slower internet bandwidth, part 17 is progressing nicely... guess MU just can't support the same speed on all their servers/

Anyhow, will be back with my impressions in a couple of days :)

Dwight Fry

Faneditor
Reaction score
Trophy Points
spence said:
Awesome!

I know there are some technical problems, and they will be addressed sooner rather than later. I don't think any of them are a deal breaker or ruin the movie, so I encourage those that are curious to still watch the current version, as time doesn't permit me to work on fixing it very much at the moment.

I really want to watch this, but I prefer to wait for the fixed version. And, trust me, you prefer that I wait for the fixed version. In that aspect I'm ruthless when it comes to ratings. :-D

TV's Frink

You Catch On Pretty Quick
Staff member
Donor
Faneditor
Reaction score
Trophy Points
What are the tech issues, if I might ask?

Rogue-theX

Faneditor
Cover Artist
Reaction score
Trophy Points
A couple audio volume problems around the end credits and the last parts of the movie the black bars of the aspect ratio were not "black" that's what i noticed.

For the record, i give this edit a 9 out of 10 :)

TMBTM

Faneditor
Reaction score
Trophy Points
This edit entered the Star Was Fanedit Hall of Fame yesterday but the score was a bit "on the edge", and with a 7/10 rating more, this fanedit falls under the requiered rating to be on the hall of fame by now.
But it will be kept in the hall of fame until it reachs like 10 ratings (I think this edit probably will go to 10 ratings) and if at this point the score is 8/10 or higher it will be kept in the Hall of Fame.

The actual rules for Star Wars fanedits are:
"To make it to this list a fanedit needs at least 5 ratings with an average of 8.3/10 or at least 10 ratings with an average of 8.0/10."
(The admins will think about new rules for entering the Greatest Fanedits Pages. Hopefully soon.)

Anyway, congratulation to Spence, this fanedit obviously get a lot of interest and love.

spence

Faneditor
Reaction score
Trophy Points
L8wrtr also found a slight problem with the surround sound during the skiff battle. I will fix that as well. I may also reauthor the saber battle as I think that came out stereo. There's also a flipped shot of Vader somewhere. Not a big deal unless you know what his chest plate exactly looks like. All will be corrected. I start working on it today. Rogue, I will be in touch.

spence

Faneditor
Reaction score
Trophy Points
actually, if any of you find any more issues that need to be addressed, please let me know.

lpd

Reaction score
Trophy Points
Thanks for sharing your edit spence. I watched it this evening. Overall I enjoyed it very much. I will deffo be picking your brains on how you achieved some of your shots! I'm now waiting for my next tutorial! lol
Nice one!

spence

Faneditor
Reaction score
Trophy Points
Thanks, I'm glad you enjoyed it. Feel free to ask me any questions. I'm going to try and get another tutorial done next week. Work has been pretty busy.

spence

Faneditor
Reaction score
Trophy Points
So we're at 11 ratings with an 8.45 average. That means I get to stay in the Hall of Fame right?

TMBTM

Faneditor
Reaction score
Trophy Points
spence said:
So we're at 11 ratings with an 8.45 average. That means I get to stay in the Hall of Fame right?
Yep, things changed from a day to the other, that's why I brought this thing on this thread, but now it's more than clear that you're on the Greastes SW list :)

spence

Faneditor
Reaction score
Trophy Points
Well, I'm quite humbled by that. The edit is being compared to many of the greats by being on that list. Thanks to everyone who reviewed and rated it! This edit took a lot of work, so it's nice to see it has found an audience who enjoy it.

TV's Frink

Staff member
Donor
Faneditor
Reaction score
Trophy Points
spence said:
Can somebody fix the incorrect spelling of "Spence" in the title. It's currently spelled "Spense."
I've notified the admins of this.

portersharkey

Reaction score
Trophy Points
Am I the only one who cannot download this fanedit? Twice now I could only download 26 of the 27 files. It skips past file number 9 each time and leaves me with just shy of 5gb of worthless rar files. Any help out there?

TV's Frink

Staff member
Donor
Faneditor
Reaction score
Trophy Points
Make sure your jdownloader is fully up-to-date. Try restarting jdownloader. Let it run overnight while you sleep. Be patient. This is a common issue with file sharing sites.

By the way, you shouldn't have to download any files more than once. Just let jdownloader keep trying until it gets that last part.

Pagz

Reaction score
Trophy Points
I've downloaded and watched the Spence final edit now. It's definitely an interesting edit with a lot of unique ideas. I especially like the re-ordered opening with Degobah. Alas, as much as I admire the intent behind this edit and the technical execution, it just doesn't work for me.

I find a number of the cuts make the film feel rushed, especially in the Jabba the Hutt sequence. I understood the attempt that was being made with the intercutting between Jabba's palace and Degobah to make it seem like Luke was sensing what was happening with his friends, but it's so unlike any other cuts in the rest of the Saga that it just feels out of place to me. I like the idea very much, I just don't feel it was successfully acheived.

I appreciated the trimming of Han Solo's funny bone, and in places I found myself thinking I'd have gone further with those trims. I also really like the idea of having the Emperor on the Super Star Destroyer. However, I just don't think it really works. The view from the Emperor's window seems to be on the other side of the DSII from the space battle right up until the rebels attack the SSD, at which point it's suddenly in the thick of the battle.

The death of Anakin has some audio issues. The ambient hum of the death star disappears a lot. I get why the new music was inserted in this scene, but since the original music was married to the sound fx it becomes obvious everytime the original soundtrack has been replaced as the sound fx disappear.

It was an ambitious edit and it's definitely an interesting addition to my Star Wars collection, but it won't be replacing the original for ne as I'd hoped it might.

PS. I noticed an audio issue in the transition from the opening with Vader to Degobah, I could clearly hear a few notes of the Tattooine music from the original artoo and threepio scene. Just mentioning because I know you're going back and tidying up some of those editing gaffs.

Top Bottom