• Most new users don't bother reading our rules. Here's the one that is ignored almost immediately upon signup: DO NOT ASK FOR FANEDIT LINKS PUBLICLY. First, read the FAQ. Seriously. What you want is there. You can also send a message to the editor. If that doesn't work THEN post in the Trade & Request forum. Anywhere else and it will be deleted and an infraction will be issued.
  • If this is your first time here please read our FAQ and Rules pages. They have some useful information that will get us all off on the right foot, especially our Own the Source rule. If you do not understand any of these rules send a private message to one of our staff for further details.
  • Please read our Rules & Guidelines

Star Wars: Return of the Jedi - The Spence Final Cut

Adabisi

Faneditor
Reaction score
Trophy Points
Review posted @ IFDb:

A/V Quality 10/10
No issues with the actual A/V quality. Clean picture, great 5.1 sound.

Visual Editing 9/10
No issues, really. Sometimes it was pretty obvious when you were switching source material, but it worked fairly seamlessly. The colour correction was very well done.

Audio Editing 5/10
Sorry, but this was the low point of the edit. It's a mixed bag of great ideas that were poorly executed. The speeder chase is great, but the volume is too low. The Duel of the Fates was great, but not mixed in very well. There's a slew of noticeable audio sync issues throughout the edit. And what the hell was with the music over the end credits? In the commentary you mentioned that you watched this edit 4 times - I'm surprised that at least a few of these issues weren't noticed and fixed before it was released, especially with all the time and energy you put into whole thing.

Narrative 10/10
Perfect. Improved the original by a huge margin. All the changes made were for the better. A couple of things were odd - Luke sensing the Leia was in danger was a neat idea, but it didn't work in practice and Luke and Leia hugging like they haven't seen each other in years on Tatooine - but did not really detract from the overall experience.

Enjoyment 7/10
I'd bump it up to 9/10 were it not for the audio issues. But what I really loved was the commentary track. I honestly only bothered to check this one out when I read that there was a faneditor commentary track included. I love edits with faneditor commentary and I really wish more editors out there would do them, especially for radical edits like this one. I love hearing what was changed, how it was changed and, most importantly, why it was changed, as it happens. The commentary track on this is a must-see and provides a lot of insight into the thought process and planning that went into this edit. It was very enjoyable, and perhaps, even more enjoyable than the edit itself. And your explanation as to why there's a giant bottomless pit on the star destroyer was gold.

TV's Frink

You Catch On Pretty Quick
Staff member
Donor
Faneditor
Reaction score
Trophy Points
How can a commentary track be a "must-see?"

:p

Adabisi

Faneditor
Reaction score
Trophy Points
It's just that good. You can, like, ​see the commentary, man....

Mojo_LA

Reaction score
Trophy Points
I'm having PW trouble with this one!

I have the RAR files, and when I unpack them it asks for the PW, so I give it fanedit.org, which is accepts.

It then goes through the entire unpacking process, but at the END it returns the dreaded window of error messages, telling me the PW is wrong.

Huh?

EDIT: Ok, never mind, I didn't realize there was also the fanedited.com PW, so that - plus the other one later - worked. It just took me by surprise, I've never had UNRAR tell me a PW was wrong AFTER it finished unpacking. That's just plain sadistic!

Neglify

Reaction score
Trophy Points
I'm the one who double password protected the files when I uploaded them. Sadistic? No. Trying to prevent it from being taken down? Yes.

Oh and you're welcome for the re-upload.

Sunarep

Faneditor
Reaction score
Trophy Points
Neglify said:
I'm the one who double password protected the files when I uploaded them. Sadistic? Yes. Trying to prevent it from being taken down? Yes, but that wasn't really the intention.

fixed

Neglify

Reaction score
Trophy Points
Fine whatever. Usenet only uploads for me from now on. Anybody doesn't like it, too bad.

reave

Staff member
Reaction score
Trophy Points
Neglify said:
Fine whatever. Usenet only uploads for me from now on. Anybody doesn't like it, too bad.

TV's Frink

Staff member
Donor
Faneditor
Reaction score
Trophy Points
I finally watched this, and I have to say it's a tough one to review. Overall I think I enjoyed it, and although there were many things that didn't work for me, it was a pretty interesting watch.

The main footage (I assume) is from the 2004 DVD, which means in some cases we get some SE footage I would rather not see again. Spence did cut around some of the worst stuff (the Jabba palace musical number and the Hayden force ghost, for instance), but Vader's awful candy cane lightsaber is still there. And in some cases he replaced SE footage with other sources (presumably the GOUT?), but it sticks out pretty badly. I know he did the best he could with it, but it still bugged me.

As others have mentioned, there were a few audio hiccups, mainly several places where the lip sync was slightly off and the really jarring increase in audio levels when the credits roll. Oh, and the fact that the "Fanedited by Spence" credit is superimposed over another credit feels sloppy. Give yourself more credit, man!

The prequel music worked fine, but it's always jarring for me when I hear it during an OT music.

The other two things that stood out for me were that I missed some of Han's lines (like "fly casual" and "hey, it's me") and I was at first confused by the Emperor not being on the Death Star. I thought that needed to be established better.

The opening sequence was pretty neat to watch, although I still think I prefer the original. The way Spence handled Leia meeting Wicket was fantastic. And the Ewok battle was pretty well done as well.

In, the end, I gave this a 7/10 due to the minor tech issues and the things that just didn't work for me. At the same time, I do recommend watching this, as it's a really interesting attempt at editing a Star Wars movie that hasn't seen too many edits.

stretch009

Reaction score
Trophy Points
Return of the Jedi - Dan Edit (Yads) - 9/10 (would be 10/10 with improved video quality)

Return of the Jedi - The Spence Final Cut - 7/10 (for me it would be 8/10 if it included the Rancor scene- one of my favorite scenes from my childhood)

-

ThrowgnCpr

awol
Staff member
Reaction score
Trophy Points
z-vap said:
Hello all, so has anyone still got a working copy of this?

z-vap, if this is your first time here please read Using This Site. It's full of useful information that will get us all off on the right foot. This site has many rules in place to protect itself and its users. Should you ever need a reminder look no further: General Rules and Own the Source Rule. If you do not understand any of these rules send a private message to an admin for further details.

TV's Frink

Staff member
Donor
Faneditor
Reaction score
Trophy Points
This is once again available on MS via info.

TV's Frink

Staff member
Donor
Faneditor
Reaction score
Trophy Points
This is once again available on Mega via info.

Top Bottom