• Most new users don't bother reading our rules. Here's the one that is ignored almost immediately upon signup: DO NOT ASK FOR FANEDIT LINKS PUBLICLY. First, read the FAQ. Seriously. What you want is there. You can also send a message to the editor. If that doesn't work THEN post in the Trade & Request forum. Anywhere else and it will be deleted and an infraction will be issued.
  • If this is your first time here please read our FAQ and Rules pages. They have some useful information that will get us all off on the right foot, especially our Own the Source rule. If you do not understand any of these rules send a private message to one of our staff for further details.
  • Please read our Rules & Guidelines

Star Wars: Return of the Jedi - The Spence Final Cut

Nic

Reaction score
Trophy Points
So, this is a very good edit, and I am all in favor of how you rearranged the sequencing of the first and third acts. However, there is one thing I want that really bugs me, and that's when Luke tells Han that he'll meet them at rendezvous point, despite the fact that we never see where he goes, and it really highlights that this is an edit.

Now, the way I see this getting fixed would be if there was a special effect wizard to make it so the Falcon and the X-Wng are flying in the same direction, show the fleet, and then, taking a page from Dawn of the Empire, cut to black and have Luke have a vision about his confrontation with his father with him seeing/feeling his death. I think this can be done using the footage from the blu-ray of Luke constructing his lightsaber. I think this would add more strength to Luke's character, knoing he has to face Vader despite the fact that he might possibly die.

Overall, this is a good edit, but it's just a far bit off from being perfect.

DavFlamerock

Reaction score
Trophy Points
I hate to ask, but the downloader at the info site is reporting broken links for this one again. Was it uploaded to a different folder than the "Spence" folder, or does someone need to upload it again? I'd love to get my hands on a copy! This looks like the best version of Return of the Jedi made!

Neglify

Reaction score
Trophy Points
Have you sent a PM to Spence? He hasn't been around in a while but he may answer PMs.

Trilaanus

Reaction score
Trophy Points
Can't find Spence's stuff anywhere online. Finding these things sure is a tough search if you didn't pounce on em when they came out.

Ripplin

Reaction score
Trophy Points
Most of the blame goes to Megaupload, but then again, it wasn't really their fault. ;)

Trilaanus

Reaction score
Trophy Points
It is so true, BucketHead, I mean Captain Astounding! I mean, Ripplin. :) Man did I love the Honey I Shrunk the Kids TV series.

Neglify

Reaction score
Trophy Points
This edit is back online via Mediafire.

This edit is available via Rapidshare.

Files will be double password protected, normal fanedit.org passwords apply (see the FAQ).

Neglify

Reaction score
Trophy Points
PM sent.

For everybody else that is curious. This edit is available via Rapidshare. The DLC is on info.

spence

Faneditor
Reaction score
Trophy Points
Thanks for reposting the edit guys! I hope you all enjoy it.

NewSpock

Faneditor
Reaction score
Trophy Points
spence said:
- The emperor's throne room is moved to a big Star Destroyer instead of on the Death Star, so Luke's battle still has meaning. This Star Destroyer does not blow up in the battle. Lots of establishing shots and additions to make this very clear.

Sorry to reply to this so very late in the game, but I just stumbled upon this edit. Why do you change the location? I don't think there is a need for that. Sure the rebels blow up the death star, but that doesn't mean Luke's presence inside the death star is useless. There are two things Luke intended to achieve:

1. He believed that there is still some good in Darth Vader and that he can bring him back from the dark side.
2. Him being in front of Vader and the emperor helps the rebels by binding the attention and power of the siths on him.

So imho Luke's battle has meaning. And it adds an additional thrill to know that Luke is inside while the rebels try to blow it up, it has that bomb-goes-off-ultimatum-thrill. And the emperor being in the center of all evil makes also for a more solid image.

spence

Faneditor
Reaction score
Trophy Points
You make a good point, but I personally found it more exciting to focus solely on those things in a different location. I guess it's just a matter of preference.

Dethryl

Reaction score
Trophy Points
While I did enjoy the change in venue, I think it does add something to Luke's character that he's going in knowing he might very well die. He knows that if he can't turn Vader back and Vader and the Emperor try to turn him, they won't succeed for long because they'll all be dead.

spence

Faneditor
Reaction score
Trophy Points
I think we had this come up in the In The Works thread, but not really. The Rebels succeed on their own at blowing up the Death Star. If they blow up the Death Star before Luke succeeds, what he's doing doesn't matter because Vader and Palps are dead. If Luke never showed up on the Death Star, they'd still blow it up with Vader and Palps onboard and it still doesn't matter. And sure, they could've escaped, or dozens of other things that can be implied by watching it, but what the film actually gives you is pointless situation.

It's basically "I'm going to try and kill this guy before his house blows up and kills him." A fools errand.

nightstalkerpoet

Faneditor
Reaction score
Trophy Points
Have you considered redoing this edit in HD, or at least using the completed Luke finishing his light saber scene? I think that that scene would work perfectly with your concept.

stretch009

Reaction score
Trophy Points
nightstalkerpoet said:
Have you considered redoing this edit in HD, or at least using the completed Luke finishing his light saber scene? I think that that scene would work perfectly with your concept.

+1 for redoing this in HD. Please put the Rancor back in though, I've read many others agree with me. It was such a glaring omission and one of my favorite parts of ROTJ growing up.

wabid

Reaction score
Trophy Points
+2 HD.

Currently I'm using Q2's hybrid, but I like having a more drastic cut laying around too.

Nic

Reaction score
Trophy Points
If you redo this edit, there are some things I brought up ago that I thought would help the edit.

Nic Stiz said:
So, this is a very good edit, and I am all in favor of how you rearranged the sequencing of the first and third acts. However, there is one thing I want that really bugs me, and that's when Luke tells Han that he'll meet them at rendezvous point, despite the fact that we never see where he goes, and it really highlights that this is an edit.

Now, the way I see this getting fixed would be if there was a special effect wizard to make it so the Falcon and the X-Wng are flying in the same direction, show the fleet, and then, taking a page from Dawn of the Empire, cut to black and have Luke have a vision about his confrontation with his father with him seeing/feeling his death. I think this can be done using the footage from the blu-ray of Luke constructing his lightsaber. I think this would add more strength to Luke's character, knoing he has to face Vader despite the fact that he might possibly die.

nightstalkerpoet

Faneditor
Reaction score
Trophy Points
The problem with that is... Luke has a lightsaber already, so there is no reason to construct one. So the idea that he has gone off on his own just to have visions is a hard sell. I think that would also stand out in the same way. I'm not sure how to alter their departure so Luke doesn't leave.

Top Bottom