• Most new users don't bother reading our rules. Here's the one that is ignored almost immediately upon signup: DO NOT ASK FOR FANEDIT LINKS PUBLICLY. First, read the FAQ. Seriously. What you want is there. You can also send a message to the editor. If that doesn't work THEN post in the Trade & Request forum. Anywhere else and it will be deleted and an infraction will be issued.
  • If this is your first time here please read our FAQ and Rules pages. They have some useful information that will get us all off on the right foot, especially our Own the Source rule. If you do not understand any of these rules send a private message to one of our staff for further details.
  • Please read our Rules & Guidelines

Star Wars - Return of the Jedi: Possessed

Possessed

Faneditor
Reaction score
Trophy Points
The latest in the Possessed Star Wars series: Return of the Jedi.

Unlike my ANH and ESB "edits", which were basically just a hybrid of the original and special edition cuts with some spruced up visual effects and enhancements, with a few small original cuts... This will be a full blown edit, largely inspired by the style and techniques used by the Phantom Editor when he made Attack of the Phantom (which I recently recreated in HD as part of the Possessed collection)

Certainly this Return of the Jedi edit won't be nearly as heavy handed as Attack of the Phantom, but I really admire the technique used in giving it a professional pace and flow while still cutting things that needed to go.

Those of us around during the olden days will remember I had started to edit this film over a decade ago, and now I'm finally ready to fully tackle it. There have been some good edits of ROTJ, chiefly darthrush's version, but i feel I have a unique drive and vision to make a very good edit. Some areas may have similar ideas and cuts to other edits, and while I will say I did take inspiration from some other edits, it's largely a coincidence and I've had these ideas for over 10 years. But that's not to say there won't be plenty of unique things!

The chief aim of this edit will be tone. It won't be a radical edit that changes story elements... It's main goal is to even out the tone and pacing to be more consistent with the first two films... Not removing all of the humor by any means but trimming the things that are overtly silly and campy so that the good moments shine as brightly as they deserve to and aren't weighed down by the silliness and it feels more like a cohesive conclusion. This will be achieved mostly through small cuts and rearranging footage, but with some larger cuts as well.

Basic cutlist, though incomplete:

*All lightsaber blades and blaster shots are reanimated, as well as a few VFX enhancements courtesy of Telecine7.
*Very light color regrade.
*Salacious Crumb no longer has any cutaways or close ups of him laughing at the character. You can still see him in the background and hear him laughing with the crowd a few times.
*Many cuts and rearranging of footage for the entire Jabba's Palace portion of the film to make it less silly, and conceal some of the bad muppet looking creatures.
*The Sail Barge battle is completely re edited. It is more intense now.
*Rebel briefing scene edited heavily to remove campiness.
*Han and Lando's scene together removed. I hated to do this because it was their only scene together, but it just wasn't a good scene.
*Heavy trims to the scenes aboard the stolen shuttle.
*Leia's scene where Wickett discovers her removed. Her appearance is a surprise to the audience as well as Luke and Han.
*Many trims to the ewoks and endor as a whole, especially the battle, to be less campy, silly, and make the ewoks more menacing and less cutesy.
*Various trims throughout the entire film to improve tone and momentum, but I was very careful not to make the pacing too fast.
*A few new surprises.

There are tons of cuts, but they are mostly small save for a few. And while it is true i am making the tone of the film darker and more serious, do not worry I will still be keeping the genuine humor when it works, i don't want this to be dreary. And good humor always has a place in Star Wars as long as it isn't taken too far.

Last edited:

Possessed

Faneditor
Reaction score
Trophy Points
It is finished. Will find it's way onto the database shortly.

IlFanEditore

Reaction score
Trophy Points
I just watched it. It was a really great edit, with some especially nice ideas. And I just love the remade lasers and lightsabers.

Possessed

Faneditor
Reaction score
Trophy Points
Thank you! Came a long way from getting wrongfully irritated at you replying to my thread on this edit as a dumb teenager literally over a decade ago.

(True story. Read the old thread. Embarrassing stuff, won't link it)

Possessed

Faneditor
Reaction score
Trophy Points
It's recently come to my attention that former member, and now banned member, mikeluv has a website for sharing "his own" fanedits and has taken this edit, almost largely unchanged, and added some silly and ill conceived half baked things into it and calling it his own. He does admit it's "based" on my version but apparently.... they've just taken my edit and added some random stuff to it and called it their edit. They did not contact me or have my consent to do this, and it is not endorsed by me.

Obviously I don't own anything regarding return of the Jedi, but it's pretty common etiquette to ask when you want to make an addendum to another editors work.

If you see this, please just get the original version from me instead. I promise they didn't make it better.

Also, I've never shared this edit outside of pms on this forum as the rules state. So HUGE middle finger to whoever even supplied them with this. Or, even worse, if they reached out under a sock account to get it and still didn't ask, both middle fingers.

If you're a new member and haven't posted much and I ignore your requests for one of my edits, you can thank this guy and this incident.

I know this is the nature of internet content, but damn it's still irritating. My edits do use other sources occasionally, but in all cases i either got permission or by the nature of the project it was already intended for others to be able to use it for their own projects with credit, which i always gave. I didn't just take 4k83 and add random cgi and call it the possessed edit.

Ugh. I guess i shouldn't be so irritated considering they are banned from here and this is the only fanedit community i care about. But i am.

Racerx1969

Reaction score
Trophy Points
Well that sucks. Haven't heard of that guy, but now I'll avoid anything from them. I don't get why anyone would do stuff like that, particularly in a specifically online community--it's not like word isn't going to get out.

DigModiFicaTion

DᴉმWoqᴉԷᴉcɑꓕᴉou
Staff member
Faneditor
Reaction score
Trophy Points
Also goes by the name ForceGhostRecon, that's what I know them by. Another name to look out for.
Ah, yes. Same thing happened with my fanedit of The Force Awakens, Heir to the Force. Their Heir to the Force edit....yeah. They changed the hue of the art and added a fan film scene of Darth Vader fighting Kylo Ren. I asked them to remove my name from the box art, comply with the poster art artists request to not alter the image, and change the name. Nope.

Wow, looks like their Solo edit is a similar repack of The Coaxium Heist.

budz

Reaction score
Trophy Points
It's recently come to my attention that former member, and now banned member, mikeluv has a website for sharing "his own" fanedits and has taken this edit, almost largely unchanged, and added some silly and ill conceived half baked things into it and calling it his own. He does admit it's "based" on my version but apparently.... they've just taken my edit and added some random stuff to it and called it their edit. They did not contact me or have my consent to do this, and it is not endorsed by me.

Obviously I don't own anything regarding return of the Jedi, but it's pretty common etiquette to ask when you want to make an addendum to another editors work.

If you see this, please just get the original version from me instead. I promise they didn't make it better.

Also, I've never shared this edit outside of pms on this forum as the rules state. So HUGE middle finger to whoever even supplied them with this. Or, even worse, if they reached out under a sock account to get it and still didn't ask, both middle fingers.

If you're a new member and haven't posted much and I ignore your requests for one of my edits, you can thank this guy and this incident.

I know this is the nature of internet content, but damn it's still irritating. My edits do use other sources occasionally, but in all cases i either got permission or by the nature of the project it was already intended for others to be able to use it for their own projects with credit, which i always gave. I didn't just take 4k83 and add random cgi and call it the possessed edit.

Ugh. I guess i shouldn't be so irritated considering they are banned from here and this is the only fanedit community i care about. But i am.

I would be very interested in this! I have PMed you.

HonestAbe

Reaction score
Trophy Points
This edit has caught my attention and curiosity. Does this edit contain the Vader "noooo" at the end? It has always bothered me.

Top Bottom