• Most new users don't bother reading our rules. Here's the one that is ignored almost immediately upon signup: DO NOT ASK FOR FANEDIT LINKS PUBLICLY. First, read the FAQ. Seriously. What you want is there. You can also send a message to the editor. If that doesn't work THEN post in the Trade & Request forum. Anywhere else and it will be deleted and an infraction will be issued.
  • If this is your first time here please read our FAQ and Rules pages. They have some useful information that will get us all off on the right foot, especially our Own the Source rule. If you do not understand any of these rules send a private message to one of our staff for further details.
  • Please read our Rules & Guidelines

Read BEFORE posting Trades & Request

Star Wars OT questions after watching Editous & ADM edit

barnephiliac

Reaction score
Trophy Points
As it was '30 years ago' this weekend, my long time Star Wars buddy Erwin & me spent a day watching the New Hope version Darth Editous made and the 3 ADM edits of the classic trilogy (Yes, we are late as these edits have been out for some time, but still I'd like to talk about is as they are new to me. Forgive me if this is a beaten path already...)

First of all, hats off to you guys. We've seen some wonderful things like the added X-wing, the manoeuvering Falcon and the fading face of Ben by Editous but also the reconstructed conversation between Vader & The Emperor, the restoration of Fett's and Vader's original lines and Lapti Nek by ADM to name a few. As it was the intention 'To remove the most offensive elements of the SE and try different improvements than what LFL made', for both editors I guess, these edits did exactly do that.

However, we were asking ourselves, is it possible to take it one step further and add some beloved scenes from the unaltered original trilogy back in now that they are available again (albeit non-anamorphic) on dvd?
For example: the original shot of Ben's house, the shots of the wolfman in the cantina that have been replaced, the orginal Lapti Nek footage and the original ending from Jedi.

In other words: Keep the s.e.'s as the main source for the better quality and 5.1 sound, but dump most of the CGI and only keep the good stuff which is mostly sublte like the new sandcrawler shots, the more 'open' shots in cloud city, the banthas in Jedi and the improvement on matte lines & -paintings. Of course the meaning of 'good stuff' differs from fan to fan, but that's for another topic:)

First question of course is...will the quality of these none-anamorphic discs hold up to that of the s.e's if you start mixing them up? I recently saw an classic edition trilogy by OCP where parts from the Laser Disc were included and though very well edited the source material was too limited to make a smooth transition between the old and the new footage. I hope the dvds are better....

Any faneditor-thoughts on this (or did anyone gave a shot at this already)?

barnephiliac said:
As it was '30 years ago' this weekend, my long time Star Wars buddy Erwin & me spent a day watching the New Hope version Darth Editous made and the 3 ADM edits of the classic trilogy (Yes, we are late as these edits have been out for some time, but still I'd like to talk about is as they are new to me. Forgive me if this is a beaten path already...)

First of all, hats off to you guys. We've seen some wonderful things like the added X-wing, the manoeuvering Falcon and the fading face of Ben by Editous but also the reconstructed conversation between Vader & The Emperor, the restoration of Fett's and Vader's original lines and Lapti Nek by ADM to name a few. As it was the intention 'To remove the most offensive elements of the SE and try different improvements than what LFL made', for both editors I guess, these edits did exactly do that.

However, we were asking ourselves, is it possible to take it one step further and add some beloved scenes from the unaltered original trilogy back in now that they are available again (albeit non-anamorphic) on dvd?
For example: the original shot of Ben's house, the shots of the wolfman in the cantina that have been replaced, the orginal Lapti Nek footage and the original ending from Jedi.

In other words: Keep the s.e.'s as the main source for the better quality and 5.1 sound, but dump most of the CGI and only keep the good stuff which is mostly sublte like the new sandcrawler shots, the more 'open' shots in cloud city, the banthas in Jedi and the improvement on matte lines & -paintings. Of course the meaning of 'good stuff' differs from fan to fan, but that's for another topic:)

First question of course is...will the quality of these none-anamorphic discs hold up to that of the s.e's if you start mixing them up? I recently saw an classic edition trilogy by OCP where parts from the Laser Disc were included and though very well edited the source material was too limited to make a smooth transition between the old and the new footage. I hope the dvds are better....

Any faneditor-thoughts on this (or did anyone gave a shot at this already)?

ocp's 2.0 of a new hope and the vintage edition of empire are what you are looking for methinks

I might be the only one, but I'd love to see a bloated version of Star Wars Episode 4, using all the special edition material AND the deleted scenes. That'd kick major butt!

isn't that what the extended SW editions are about?

I don't think I've seen anyone extend Episode 4 with the lost scenes. Episodes 1-3, yes, but not 4.

yeah, sorry, I misread that. But the lost scenes are in a terrible condition.

Some of the special edition additions are terrible too, but what can you do? ;)

there is some work to clean up the lost scenes over at OT.com. it will just be a matter of time before a version with these comes out

Thanks for your replies guys. Yes, I knew about originaltrilogy.com and yes, I am familiar with the OCP versions (not the 2.0 version actually). The ones I saw had footage inserted from the LD set but unfortunately quality-wise it was a bit of a letdown. For the record, I love the original movies and I am very happy that they are out on dvd albeit as a bonus disc, but quality-wise they are nothing compared to the 2005 releases. So, therefore I was wondering if a hybrid-edit could work. Though me nor my friend have the skills to make such an edit, I thought there might be someone out there that has the same edit in mind (and does have the skills).

What edit am I talking about? Basically a hybrid using the quality improvements of the s.e's (meaning the removal of matte lines, improved matte paintings, adding certain ?by no means all - scenes and the 5.1 sound), but getting rid of most of the annoying (to me ? and I?m sure I?m not the only one) stuff like the new dewbacks, Jabba, Jedi Rocks and the new celebration in Jedi and replace it with the classic footage. The question is: Are the latest dvd releases with the classic non-anamorphic versions as a bonus disc good enough to replace the scenes mentioned with the original footage - anyone???

To be a bit more specific about each release:

New Hope:
Darth Editous made a great version already. He got rid of Jabba, Biggs some dewbacks and Rontos and even added stuff like a radar dish on the falcon, had the falcon manoeuvring after leaving Alderaan, added the fading face of Ben, the crashing X-wing on the Death Star surface and even painted R2 blue (Lucasfilm should pay for these improvements;-).

Still, I would love to see Ben?s old house instead of his new one and I prefer the old Wolfman back in the cantina. Actually, I could do without new Mos Eisley with all the Rontos, flying droids and other added stuff but this could be too much an undertaking I understand. For the record. I do not think that everything is bad with the s.e.?s. I believe that the new Yavin battle is an improvement over the old one except for the final shot with the rebel ships moving away from the Death Star which looks weird to me. Also the new shots of the sandcrawler, the Massassi temple and the death star hangar bay to name a few are very good I think.

Note: While the repainting of the R5 unit was done very well by Editous, it is still not right continuity-wise; there's no green R5 unit before. Wouldn?t it be better if better to replace that shot with a different (if there is one) shot of R2 standing there ? or repeat the shot of R2 that precedes this scene?

Empire:
ADM did a wonderful job in reconstructing the original dialogue from Vader/Palpatine and put some original lines by Luke, Fett and Vader back in. To my regret however, the Luke/Leia kiss is gone (yeah, I know - It?s weird in hindsight but I?ve became used to it and would like to see it restored.)

The Wampa ? I can live without these new scenes but as long as I am not loosing any Luke frames it?s ok I guess. Cloud city is a plus as far as I am concerned with all the new windows and elevators. Also the Jedi outtake is gone thanks to ADM. So, not much to temper with on the Empire-front if you have the ADM release I guess?.just one kiss.

Jedi:
ADM has already put Lapti Nek back in to replace the Jedi Rocks audio. However, I simply can?t stand the new CGI Sy & company. Is it possible to replace the whole new sequence with the old footage and keep Oola?s fall from the s.e? I?m fine with the new sarlacc and the added banthas actually. ADM kept the 2005 dvd ending and even expanded on that which is perfectly understandable as he indented to keep the continuity with all six films. However, seeing those Gungans in the original trilogy is unbearable for me so is it possible to replace this with the original ending with just the celebration on Endor? (I believe the new 2005 ending also features some new scenes of Wegde and other rebels shot back in the day, so maybe some of these could be inserted too.

Note: Speaking about continuity. I think we all know that there are a few continuity errors when our heroes are captured by the ewoks. At one point we see R2 tied up, then he is loose and then he is tied up again. Also while being tied up, Chewie comes out of an Ewok ?house? to have a peek at the floating 3PO only to be tied up again the next time we see him. Anyone who want to erase Chewie and replace the loose R2 with another shot? After seeing Editous remove the bumping stormtrooper in ANH, anything is possible with you guys I think

Thanks for keeping up with my thoughts guys. Would love to hear your takes on this. Should I move this to the ideas section or do you guys want me to stop talking, pack my backs and head for originaltrilogy.com?

Back
Top Bottom