• Most new users don't bother reading our rules. Here's the one that is ignored almost immediately upon signup: DO NOT ASK FOR FANEDIT LINKS PUBLICLY. First, read the FAQ. Seriously. What you want is there. You can also send a message to the editor. If that doesn't work THEN post in the Trade & Request forum. Anywhere else and it will be deleted and an infraction will be issued.
  • If this is your first time here please read our FAQ and Rules pages. They have some useful information that will get us all off on the right foot, especially our Own the Source rule. If you do not understand any of these rules send a private message to one of our staff for further details.
  • Please read our Rules & Guidelines

Read BEFORE posting Trades & Request

Star Wars Novels

Moe_Syzlak said:
Well, maybe I should have said characters behave stupidly. We have 30 years or so from the end of the Empire and the Republic does nothing about a reforming Empire (for all intents and purposes) building a planet sized weapon!? So a "Resistance" to the new Enpire forms within the Republic? In short, it seemed to me that a lot of exposition was left on the cutting room floor. I'm wondering if the books fill in some of that so that it doesn't seem as though everyoneis brain dead. 

Edit: and if the books provide a plausible reason for R2 to be comatose and then suddenly wake up when needed, that alone would be enough

Yes. The Aftermath trilogy and Bloodline explains that. If anyone is wondering the answer, here it is:

They were hiding in the unknown regions. It is undetectable and risky and dangerous place. This is expanded in the Aftermath novels, specifically Empires End. The Resostance was built by Leia from the remains of the Rebellion in the New Republic (some of the senators support the first order because of credits) led by Leia but they can't be official because of votes against fighting, again, corrupt senators.

R2 just speculating must have been deactivated by Luke (I think we will see in TLJ) and when he sense the force awakening (for some reason, or Luke sends him a message) can automatically activate.

I'm pretty sure in the TFA novel it said something along the lines of he was in low power mode while he was sifting through the empires data he stole during episode IV when he hacked the central computer. The whole explanation is delivered by 3P0 in about 10 seconds I believe.
I hope they don't try to explain it in The Last Jedi.

Moe_Syzlak said:
Well, maybe I should have said characters behave stupidly. We have 30 years or so from the end of the Empire and the Republic does nothing about a reforming Empire (for all intents and purposes) building a planet sized weapon!? So a "Resistance" to the new Enpire forms within the Republic? In short, it seemed to me that a lot of exposition was left on the cutting room floor. I'm wondering if the books fill in some of that so that it doesn't seem as though everyoneis brain dead. 

While the Aftermath books are good, you're looking for Bloodline, which explains most of that (and shows how "stupid" is actually just unfortunately realistic, considering the story's modern day parallels). 

TFA did leave that exposition on the cutting room floor to simplify its plot, but the mechanics at play all still track.

DominicCobb said:
Moe_Syzlak said:

While the Aftermath books are good, you're looking for Bloodline, which explains most of that (and shows how "stupid" is actually just unfortunately realistic, considering the story's modern day parallels). 

TFA did leave that exposition on the cutting room floor to simplify its plot, but the mechanics at play all still track.

Yes, listen to Mr. Cobb you should.

I think Bloodline should be a good first read. It was my second and I certainly liked it.

Cool thanks guys. I ended up going with my first Dan Brown book--Origin--as my first audio book. But once that's done I'll give Bloodline a go.

Hey, anyone read Journey to Star Wars The Last Jedi: The Legends of Luke Skywalker yet? I'm thinking of picking it up. The description is: "myths and tall-tales about the legendary Jedi Luke Skywalker"

The_Legends_of_Luke_Skywalker_final_cover.jpg

I'm thinking of picking it up. Seems interesting.

I'm currently about a third of the way through it. The writing style is simplistic - for very young adults, I would say - and none of the stories are very strong so far. Get it out of the library, if you're really interested.

Holy moly. I finally got the Last Jedi novelisation and apparently this is the first sentence. 

“Luke Skywalker stood in the cooling sands of Tatooine, his wife by his side.”

Excerpt From: Jason Fry. “The Last Jedi: Expanded Edition.” iBooks.

It's about a dream Luke has. (Not real)

Canto Bight by Saladin Ahmed, Rae Carson, John Jackson Miller, and Mira Jackson 
Say what you want about the movie subplot, this book was a lot of fun. The short stories have likeable characters, solid new aliens (although from your imagination really), and just a good plot overall. It's not a very long read. 8.5/10

The Last Jedi Expanded Edition by Jason Fry
Honestly didn't realize there were added scenes, except little bits about Luke. Basically your average novelization. 3/10

Thinking of listening to the first X-Wing book, Rogue Squadron, but the reviews say that the abridged version that was made into the audiobook was quite bad. Also, I got the novelization of Revenge of the Sith, but don't have much time to read it.

I'm also debating listening to Marc Thompson's narration of Heir to the Empire. Probably gonna be my go-to book for the next few weeks, although I haven't finished my other audiobook Mythos.

Did anyone here happen to read The Rise of Skywalker book? If so, thoughts?

Back
Top Bottom