• Most new users don't bother reading our rules. Here's the one that is ignored almost immediately upon signup: DO NOT ASK FOR FANEDIT LINKS PUBLICLY. First, read the FAQ. Seriously. What you want is there. You can also send a message to the editor. If that doesn't work THEN post in the Trade & Request forum. Anywhere else and it will be deleted and an infraction will be issued.
  • If this is your first time here please read our FAQ and Rules pages. They have some useful information that will get us all off on the right foot, especially our Own the Source rule. If you do not understand any of these rules send a private message to one of our staff for further details.
  • Please read our Rules & Guidelines

Read BEFORE posting Trades & Request

Star Wars Legends appreciation thread (spoilers for all things Star wars)

DominicCobb said:
For example, how many times were the Death Star plans stolen in Legends? How many times did Han and co. run into a bounty hunter on Ord Mantell? 

Wow, I looked it up and that was an interesting read.

http://starwars.wikia.com/wiki/Death_Star_plans/Legends

For example:
My tldr below

For the raid on Vergesso facilities CaptainRaymus Antilles secured the assistance of Han Solo's smuggling skills. Solo, originally extremely reluctant to involve himself in Rebel affairs, was forced to comply after Antilles made assisting him the condition for rescuing him from Imperial custody over the surface of Corellia.

Solo undertook a mission to infiltrate the Imperial shipping facilities in the Vergesso Asteroids, planting a tracking device and EMP emitter in a cargo container bound for an Imperial research station in Corulag. The EMP successfully disabled the station's defenses long enough for Rebel search teams to raid the station. The data they acquired "confirmed" the existence of the Death Star I and gave the Rebels an idea of the scale of its destructive capabilities, but failed to provide any technical information with which a weakness could be identified. Even Gial Ackbar, Tarkin's personal slave rescued during the raid, knew little about the plot.

In Legends continuity, Han Solo was rescued from the Empire by Wedge's dad who was already a Rebel, was informed of the Death Star and convinced to try to steal its plans by his rescuer. During the mission he saved Admiral Akbar, didn't actually succeed in getting the plans, then... went back to smuggling and forgot about Rebels saving him and the whole death Star thing? Why? Why do this? 

addiesin said:
DominicCobb said:
For example, how many times were the Death Star plans stolen in Legends? How many times did Han and co. run into a bounty hunter on Ord Mantell? 

Wow, I looked it up and that was an interesting read.

http://starwars.wikia.com/wiki/Death_Star_plans/Legends

For example:
My tldr below

For the raid on Vergesso facilities CaptainRaymus Antilles secured the assistance of Han Solo's smuggling skills. Solo, originally extremely reluctant to involve himself in Rebel affairs, was forced to comply after Antilles made assisting him the condition for rescuing him from Imperial custody over the surface of Corellia.

Solo undertook a mission to infiltrate the Imperial shipping facilities in the Vergesso Asteroids, planting a tracking device and EMP emitter in a cargo container bound for an Imperial research station in Corulag. The EMP successfully disabled the station's defenses long enough for Rebel search teams to raid the station. The data they acquired "confirmed" the existence of the Death Star I and gave the Rebels an idea of the scale of its destructive capabilities, but failed to provide any technical information with which a weakness could be identified. Even Gial Ackbar, Tarkin's personal slave rescued during the raid, knew little about the plot.

In Legends continuity, Han Solo was rescued from the Empire by Wedge's dad who was already a Rebel, was informed of the Death Star and convinced to try to steal its plans by his rescuer. During the mission he saved Admiral Akbar, didn't actually succeed in getting the plans, then... went back to smuggling and forgot about Rebels saving him and the whole death Star thing? Why? Why do this? 

You do know that Han's girlfriend betrayed him for the rebel alliance, right? This caused him to not want anything to do with the alliance (as seen in a New Hope) and caused him to forget about the Death Star in an effort to get rid of the pain he felt from Bria's betrayal (that and he was in debt to Jabba the Hutt, which was a more pressing concern to him).

DominicCobb said:
wilhelm scream said:
If you've visited the Star Wars thread, you would know that I hate Disney Star Wars, and almost everybody hates me because of this. However, almost nobody talks about Star Wars Legends, the expanded universe from 1977-2014, and I want to change that. This thread is for people who like Star Wars Legends and might not be happy with how Disney have treated the franchise. Every week I will be discussing various elements of Legends, from the characters and the ships, to the planets and the stories, or something else. 

This week, I will clear-up some things about Legends that people often get wrong:

1: Legends is a complete mess of continuity errors and is impossible to follow. This is only true for the Clone Wars era, because Disney insists that CGI Clone Wars and all of it's tie-ins are canon to Legends, even though they contradict almost everything from the Clone Wars multi-media project. The only reason why this is the case, is because Disney are trying to make Legends look as bad as possible to the public to try and use it as an excuse to not continue Legends. So, when ever I talk about the Clone Wars, I will be referring to the Clone Wars multi-media project, no CGI Clone Wars.

Disney didn't say anything about the CGI Clone Wars being in Legends continuity. All Lucasfilm said was anything besides the films and The Clone Wars, everything is Legends. So if anything, they said the opposite. Just because Wookieepedia includes TCW info on Legends pages doesn't make what you're saying true (fans run Wookieepedia). Not to mention, Disney doesn't give a shit if Legends "continuity" is confusing or not. And especially not to mention that the Legends "continuity" was a mess with or without TCW added in. I've barely read any EU stuff and I've come across issues.

2: Legends was never canon. This is simply not true, as George Lucas was involved with many expanded universe works, thus, making them canon. Besides, you kind of had to read Legends because it fixes the continuity errors between the prequels and the original trilogy. 

That's factually untrue. The EU wasn't ever explicitly really canon, and George is on record as having said so. He had next to zero involvement on the vast majority of EU material, beyond sweeping rules like "don't kill Luke." In fact, the main reason the only things kept were the movies and TCW were because they were the things that were actually Lucas's, and what he considered canon (wonder why they disregarded the Clone Wars multimedia project? Because Lucas didn't care).

The EU was canon, this Facebook album is filled with evidence to support that: https://www.facebook.com/pg/TheEUrebellion501/photos/?tab=album&album_id=1101631329973205

wilhelm scream said:
You do know that Han's girlfriend betrayed him for the rebel alliance, right? This caused him to not want anything to do with the alliance (as seen in a New Hope) and caused him to forget about the Death Star in an effort to get rid of the pain he felt from Bria's betrayal (that and he was in debt to Jabba the Hutt, which was a more pressing concern to him).

Well I know now.

wilhelm scream said:
DominicCobb said:
wilhelm scream said:
If you've visited the Star Wars thread, you would know that I hate Disney Star Wars, and almost everybody hates me because of this. However, almost nobody talks about Star Wars Legends, the expanded universe from 1977-2014, and I want to change that. This thread is for people who like Star Wars Legends and might not be happy with how Disney have treated the franchise. Every week I will be discussing various elements of Legends, from the characters and the ships, to the planets and the stories, or something else. 

This week, I will clear-up some things about Legends that people often get wrong:

1: Legends is a complete mess of continuity errors and is impossible to follow. This is only true for the Clone Wars era, because Disney insists that CGI Clone Wars and all of it's tie-ins are canon to Legends, even though they contradict almost everything from the Clone Wars multi-media project. The only reason why this is the case, is because Disney are trying to make Legends look as bad as possible to the public to try and use it as an excuse to not continue Legends. So, when ever I talk about the Clone Wars, I will be referring to the Clone Wars multi-media project, no CGI Clone Wars.

Disney didn't say anything about the CGI Clone Wars being in Legends continuity. All Lucasfilm said was anything besides the films and The Clone Wars, everything is Legends. So if anything, they said the opposite. Just because Wookieepedia includes TCW info on Legends pages doesn't make what you're saying true (fans run Wookieepedia). Not to mention, Disney doesn't give a shit if Legends "continuity" is confusing or not. And especially not to mention that the Legends "continuity" was a mess with or without TCW added in. I've barely read any EU stuff and I've come across issues.

2: Legends was never canon. This is simply not true, as George Lucas was involved with many expanded universe works, thus, making them canon. Besides, you kind of had to read Legends because it fixes the continuity errors between the prequels and the original trilogy. 

That's factually untrue. The EU wasn't ever explicitly really canon, and George is on record as having said so. He had next to zero involvement on the vast majority of EU material, beyond sweeping rules like "don't kill Luke." In fact, the main reason the only things kept were the movies and TCW were because they were the things that were actually Lucas's, and what he considered canon (wonder why they disregarded the Clone Wars multimedia project? Because Lucas didn't care).

The EU was canon, this Facebook album is filled with evidence to support that: https://www.facebook.com/pg/TheEUrebellion501/photos/?tab=album&album_id=1101631329973205

They're all arguing a semantics debate. Whether or not Lucasfilm called the EU canon at the time has nothing to do with what was in Lucas's mind. There's so much EU material that contradicted by the PT it's not even funny. Lucas never gave a shit. If he had made episodes VII-IX, he would have ditched the EU, same as Disney.

DominicCobb said:
wilhelm scream said:
DominicCobb said:
wilhelm scream said:

They're all arguing a semantics debate. Whether or not Lucasfilm called the EU canon at the time has nothing to do with what was in Lucas's mind. There's so much EU material that contradicted by the PT it's not even funny. Lucas never gave a shit. If he had made episodes VII-IX, he would have ditched the EU, same as Disney.

They were able to fix alot of the contradictions. Besides, it's not like Disney is any better at sticking at their continuity (the Force Awakens novelization had to be declared non-canon because Ray and Poe meet for the first time, only for them to meet for the first time in the Last Jedi).

TM2YC said:
The Jedi were "Originally formed as a philosophical study group". Gotta love the EU.

http://starwars.wikia.com/wiki/Jedi/Legends

Yep, revealing LOADS of information that are not revealed in the films, making the universe feel alot more complete. As well as having memorable stories, great characters and continuity fixes for everything.

ThrowgnCpr said:
LOL:

IS TRUE. BECAUSE FACEBOOK DISCUSSION.

Did you even bother looking at the pictures? They clearly name their souces.

wilhelm scream said:
They were able to fix alot of the contradictions. Besides, it's not like Disney is any better at sticking at their continuity (the Force Awakens novelization had to be declared non-canon because Ray and Poe meet for the first time, only for them to meet for the first time in the Last Jedi).

You have an interesting definition of the word "fix." And as for the new stuff, they've stated the novelizations aren't entirely canon. 

Also, who gives a fuck.

DominicCobb said:
wilhelm scream said:

You have an interesting definition of the word "fix." And as for the new stuff, they've stated the novelizations aren't entirely canon. 

Also, who gives a fuck.

What do you mean by interesting definition?

"Rey"

Not

"Ray"

Thanks.

giphy.gif

wilhelm scream said:
Sorry, she's so bland and uninteresting that I forgot how to spell her name.

Am I having deja vu? Or didn't you say this exact thing before somewhere? What if you are intentionally misspelling it so you can say that she's so bland and uninteresting... Or maybe I'm crazy

wilhelm what do you think of the KotOR movie series by Kevin Smets and Brandon Twigg?

^ you're not crazy, he's being intentionally douchey.

Masirimso17 said:
wilhelm scream said:
Sorry, she's so bland and uninteresting that I forgot how to spell her name.

Am I having deja vu? Or didn't you say this exact thing before somewhere? What if you are intentionally misspelling it so you can say that she's so bland and uninteresting... Or maybe I'm crazy

wilhelm what do you think of the KotOR movie series by Kevin Smets and Brandon Twigg?

Their pretty good, I look forward to the Revan prequel movie trilogy (and the way they fixed the Revan novel for their last movie for Kotor 2 was amazing!).

ThrowgnCpr said:
^ you're not crazy, he's being intentionally douchey.

I'm not being intentionally douchey, I just hate a majority of the Discanon characters so much, I'm trying to forget about them.

Back
Top Bottom