• Most new users don't bother reading our rules. Here's the one that is ignored almost immediately upon signup: DO NOT ASK FOR FANEDIT LINKS PUBLICLY. First, read the FAQ. Seriously. What you want is there. You can also send a message to the editor. If that doesn't work THEN post in the Trade & Request forum. Anywhere else and it will be deleted and an infraction will be issued.
  • If this is your first time here please read our FAQ and Rules pages. They have some useful information that will get us all off on the right foot, especially our Own the Source rule. If you do not understand any of these rules send a private message to one of our staff for further details.
  • Please read our Rules & Guidelines

STAR WARS: Last Jedi - Anti-Cringe-Cut

DonKamillo

Faneditor
Reaction score
Trophy Points
ORIGINAL POST:

This movie was a mess! It managed to subvert fan expectations in the worst way. With it's pointless twists and turns, unnecessary side plots, some ridiculous character moments and cringe-worthy dialogue it quickly buried my faith in the new STAR WARS franchise. But Episode 8 was not all bad so a spark of hope remained... Maybe with some cuts here and there, it could be possible to redeem this movie. So I did exactly that! I proudly present my first Anti-Cringe-Cut!

The following was cut/changed from the original film (Beware of SPOILERS):
  • Poe "phone pranking" General Hux at the beginning
  • Luke throwing away his light saber and Rey retrieving it later
  • Almost all Porg scenes (they are not gone completely)
  • Luke's weird milking scene (just...WTF)
  • Leia coming back from the dead after being sucked out into space (R.I.P.)
  • All of Leia's appearances after her "death" (*duh*)
  • Changed Luke's vision of Leia lying in a coma to her floating in space
  • Chewie's campfire scene with the Porgs (or maybe not ^^, there is an after credits scene)
  • Admiral Holdo being bitchy to Poe
  • Poe being bitchy to Admiral Holdo (and his coup against her)
  • Maz Kanata's silly phone call
  • Finn's side quest on Canto Bight (and the whole Codebreaker nonsense)
  • Rose (she's basically an extra now)
  • Rey nearly killing the island nuns with a rock
  • Captain Phasma (*sigh* what a waste of a potentially cool character...)
  • BB8 going on a killing spree in an AT-ST
  • Finn trying to sacrifice himself in the battle on Crait
  • Rose's sudden romantic interest in Finn while the Rebel Base is being blown up in the background
  • Luke survives in the end
and lots of other minor stuff...

I also incorporated some of the deleted scenes into my cut:
  • Poe getting a distress call from the rebel base in the beginning
  • Luke mourning Han
  • Luke talking to the island nuns
  • Poe explaining to Finn what happened while he was in a coma
  • Luke's third lesson to Rey (involving the island natives)

With over 60 individual cuts to the original film I managed to get rid of a lot of problems that made this movie painful to watch at times. As a nice side effect the running time went down from 2h 32min to about 1h 51min. I also tried to make the transitions between scenes as smooth as possible, in part using bits and pieces from the official movie soundtrack to cover my tracks. It was quite a lot of work and I hope you'll enjoy watching this version of the film as much as I did making it and share it with your friends and other fans!

I'm currently trying to get my cut registered in IFDB so you can access my upload through fanedit.info

I looked for a submission form (didn't find it) and tried contacting some Admins on here but got no replies. If anybody has some tips on how to get this thing registered (it's my first fan edit on this platform) it would be great.

Cheers,
DonKamillo

--------------------
UPDATES:

The Poster:

full

The Trailer:

FINAL Cut-List:

Cut:
  • The blonde rebel girl in the beginning saying "Oh no" as she sees the Star Destroyers popping up
  • The silly face General Hux makes while looking at his officer when Poe approaches them alone
  • Poe "phone pranking" General Hux
  • The silly face General Hux makes while looking at Poe taking out the Dreadnought service cannons
  • BB8's Whack-A-Mole joke and bashing his head into the circuit to repair Poe's ship cannons
  • General Hux being thrown around by Snoke in front of his crew
  • Aerial shot of Rey walking up to Luke
  • Luke throwing away his light saber and Rey retrieving it later
  • Almost all Porg scenes
  • Rey explaining to Luke what Chewbacca is saying after they burst into his hut
  • Luke's weird milking scene
  • Leia coming back from the dead after being sucked out into space
  • All of Leia's appearances after her "death"
  • Campfire scene with Chewie and the Porgs (after credits scene is out too)
  • Close shot of Kylo's wet hand after force call conversation with Rey
  • Rey asking Kylo to "put on a cowl or something" after noticing that he's topless
  • Admiral Holdo berating Poe
  • Poe being frustrated about Admiral Holdo's behavior
  • Poe's coup against Admiral Holdo
  • Rose's introduction
  • Maz Kanata's silly phone call
  • Finn's side quest on Canto Bight (and the whole Code-breaker nonsense)
  • Rey nearly killing some island nuns with a rock
  • Luke falling down after Rey hits him on the head from behind.
  • Luke hitting Rey after she attacks him
  • Luke "going evil" and trying to kill Kylo in the final flashback
  • Captain Phasma
  • BB8 going on a killing spree
  • Rose and Finn returning to Crait while being shot at by Tie Fighters
  • Rebels setting up their base on Crait
  • Weird old rebel guy walking onto the battlefield with some binoculars
  • Gareth Edwards Cameo and rebel soldier putting salt in his mouth
  • Rey shooting down three Tie Fighters at once on Crait
  • Finn trying to sacrifice himself in the battle on Crait and Rose "saving" him
  • Rose kissing Finn while the Rebel Base is being blown up in the background
  • General Hux being thrown around by Kylo in front of his crew
  • Luke dying
  • Rey's jealous look at Finn while he tucks Rose in
  • The names of the actors playing Maz Canata, Captain Phasma, Rose, and DJ where removed from beginning of the credits
Added:
  • Animated Anti-Cringe-Logo at the beginning and end
  • Deleted scene where Luke is mourning Han
  • Deleted scene where the island nuns are introduced
  • Deleted scene where Poe explains to Finn what happened while he was in a coma
  • Deleted scene showing Luke's third lesson to Rey (involving the island natives)
  • Two aerial shots from a documentary of Skellige island (Ahch-To island) that serve as transitions between scenes
  • Two Kylo Ren flashback sequences from TFA
  • Some classic Star Wars scene transitions here and there
  • New background music in some scenes and scene transitions (only Star Wars OST was used)
  • There can be no Star Wars without a Wilhelm Scream somewhere in the movie ;)
Changed:
  • The intro crawl text changed slightly to include that Snoke has been training "his apprentice Kylo Ren" and that the rebels are certain that "young Rey will find Luke Skywalker and with his help restore a spark of hope to the fight".
  • The first battle against the Dreadnought is much more fluid and intense now and not broken up by silly jokes
  • Moved the scene where Leia tells C3PO to "whipe that nervous expression off his face" to right after the Dreadnought cannons move to point at the rebel cruiser making it a better fit
  • Although General Hux is still not the most intimidating bad guy, at least now he is spared the humiliation by his superiors in front of his fellow officers, restoring some of his dignity and the appearance of him being a respected General.
  • The first time we see Luke and Rey, he is already holding the light saber in his hands, showing us that at least some time has gone by since the ending of TFA.
  • Instead of throwing away the light saber, Luke gives it back to Rey and tells her that he's sorry before walking off, making her confused expression right after, more believable.
  • Leia dies in the second assault of the First Order
  • Luke has a vision of Leia floating in space after he reconnects with the force
  • Teleportation of matter like water via force call is not possible anymore (shown when Kylo wipes his face to reveal that water from Ahch-To island was transported to him). Now it looks like he's wiping away some sweat after his intense conversation with Rey.
  • Luke now seems more skilled in the fight with Rey. He doesn't fall down, after she hits him on the head the first time but immediately turns around to stop her second strike at which point he has a force vision of Rey tempted by the dark side and hears Master Yoda's warning voice telling him not to attack her. This results in him just dodging her hits and staying on the defensive. The one time he falls down now, he breaks his fall with the force, showing us that he could have easily beaten her if he wanted to. This changed scene now also implies that if he had attacked her, he would have probably driven her away even more causing her to join Kylo later when he offers Rey to come to his side. Her refusal to do so has a little more meaning now.
  • The final flashback featuring Luke and Kylo has been defused to the point where Luke acts not completely out of character anymore.
    The following lines have been removed: "He would bring destruction, pain, death, and the end of everything I love because of what he will become. And for the briefest moment of pure instinct, I thought I could stop it. It passed like a fleeting shadow. And I was left with shame and with consequence."
    Instead after he says "Snoke had already turned his heart..." we see flashes of Kylo from Rey's flashback in TFA with his mask on walking towards us and killing someone with his red light saber. We return to a shocked Luke who continues with "...and the last thing I saw were the eyes of a frightened young boy who's master had failed him". This changes the meaning of the whole scene. Luke failed Kylo because he allowed Snoke to turn his apprentice while he was under his care and not because he tried to kill him in his sleep. Also Luke does not turn on his light saber except to block Kylo's strike after he consequently attacks Luke.
  • When Poe asks Admiral Holdo, if she has a plan, it now seems like she gives in an is going to tell him what the mission is. When they leave her alone on the cruiser and Poe leaves with the transport ships, it looks like they are working together.
  • To showcase that they are indeed working together there is a montage with a voice-over explaining the escape plan to Crait to Poe and the audience.
  • The reveal that Rose is Paige's sister comes much later in the last act on Crait when she touches the second half of the medallion as she is flying towards the large cannon, creating a better connection/contrast to the beginning of the movie. Her sister died in battle, she survives.
  • Now the Millennium Falcon enters the battle on Crait gracefully and with style. The first thing we see is it's shadow and not an exaggerated triple kill shot
  • When Poe tells Finn to pull back, it now looks like he is following his order
  • Luke makes his last stand with a green light saber instead of the blue one making the reveal, that he is not really there, more surprising.
  • Rey does not appear to be jealous of Rose anymore
  • We get another good look at the broken light saber before the Millennium Falcon enters hyperspace one last time. The kyber crystal of the saber starts glowing faintly...
  • There is a cut to black instead of a fade to white before the last scene starts
  • The movie ends with Luke surviving and looking out at the sunset, coming full circle. He looked at it as a baby in "Revenge of the Sith", as a young man in "A New Hope" and finally as an old Jedi Master.
  • When Luke stares at the sunset for the first time there was a small black dot that I removed to avoid the misconception that he is staring at something small in front of the sun
  • Color grading of the whole movie (greenish/yellow tint removed and more color vibrance)
Final Running Time: 108 minutes

-------

A "Definitive Anti-Cringe Cut" is available. It has an > alternate ending < and a running time of 111 minutes

Changes/Additions:
  • New Anti Cringe intro with a red lightsaber. That way you can immediately tell which version you're watching.
  • Removed "The Anti-Cringe Cut" from the crawl text for a more immersive experience ;)
  • Reencoded the bonus material so the quality of the deleted scenes, I put in, is much better and the transition between original movie and the extra scenes is more seamless
  • Switched the Stereo and 5.1 Surround track arround so the later is now the default audio track
  • Alternate Ending
  • Added Ian McDiarmid's name to the main credits

"Definitive Anti-Cringe Cut" cover:

full

Last edited:

DonKamillo

Faneditor
Reaction score
Trophy Points
Just a little comparison :) 

Before:

117829.JPG

After:

117828.JPG

Canon Editor

Reaction score
Trophy Points
Welcome to the forum!  Good luck on the fanedit… you might want to read the forum rules before you do anything, though.  If doubts continue to pursue you, be sure to ask one of the admins.  ;)  

Meanwhile, this edit looks good.   I’m not sure about an end credits scene in a Star Wars film.

DonKamillo

Faneditor
Reaction score
Trophy Points
Canon Editor said:
Welcome to the forum!  Good luck on the fanedit… you might want to read the forum rules before you do anything, though.  If doubts continue to pursue you, be sure to ask one of the admins.  ;)  

Meanwhile, this edit looks good.   I’m not sure about an end credits scene in a Star Wars film.

Thanks for the warm welcome!

Well here is what I did:
  1. After I was done with my fan edit I wanted to spread the word and share it with other fans.
  2. I discovered fanedit.info but to get my fan edit up there it has to be registered in the fan edit database (IFDB)
  3. So I arrived here and registered an account.
  4. I read the page for first time fan editors but did not find a submission form or anything similar to submit my edit for review
  5. I contacted an admin (DominicCobb) via PM and asked for some pointers but didn't get an answer
  6. I wrote an email to the staff and asked for help but didn't get an answer
  7. I created this forum post with the details of my cut
All I want is to share my edit of the movie with you guys and maybe get some feedback on how you liked it but it proves more difficult than I thought...

Canon Editor

Reaction score
Trophy Points
@"DominicCobb" or another admin will surely reach back to you.

theryaney

Faneditor
Reaction score
Trophy Points
Welcome to the forum, @"DonKamillo".

Please review our rules:

the long rectangle at the top said:
If this is your first time here please read our FAQ and Rules pages. They have some useful information that will get us all off on the right foot. More details on our policies, especially our Own the Source rule are available here. If you do not understand any of these rules send a private message to one of our staff for further details.

I've moved your thread into the In-The-Works forum. The Fixes and Mixes forum is reserved for approved faneditors. I've also removed the link to info as it contains download links.

@"DominicCobb" is the man to contact for the approval process, but sometimes we all have our things to do, so please be patient. Meanwhile, you could post clips of your edit here for our members to see.

Again, welcome! We're seeing lots of TLJ edits popping out, but nobody says we can't have more. :)

DonKamillo

Faneditor
Reaction score
Trophy Points
theryaney said:
Welcome to the forum, @"DonKamillo".

I've moved your thread into the In-The-Works forum. The Fixes and Mixes forum is reserved for approved faneditors. I've also removed the link to info as it contains download links.

@"DominicCobb" is the man to contact for the approval process, but sometimes we all have our things to do, so please be patient. Meanwhile, you could post clips of your edit here for our members to see.

Again, welcome! We're seeing lots of TLJ edits popping out, but nobody says we can't have more. :)

Thanks!

Well, while I wait for a reply I might as well post some clips.

DonKamillo

Faneditor
Reaction score
Trophy Points
Here is the first Teaser. For the intro sequence I added a deleted scene where Poe is contacted by the rebel base and cut the whole phone prank joke. Other teaser clips will follow.

If YT doesn't work you can watch it here: https://www.bitchute.com/video/wUj4kHQ5GFcY/

DonKamillo

Faneditor
Reaction score
Trophy Points
The second Teaser is all about Luke and Rey. Luke throwing away his light saber was cut as well as Rey retrieving it later and I added the deleted scene where Luke is mourning Han.

If YT doesn't work you can watch it here: https://www.bitchute.com/video/0WfBwxIzYvcD/

DigModiFicaTion

DᴉმWoqᴉԷᴉcɑꓕᴉou
Staff member
Faneditor
Reaction score
Trophy Points
You'll also want to produce a poster for your edit in preparation for the approval process. Many editors also create Blu Ray and/or DVD case art.

DonKamillo

Faneditor
Reaction score
Trophy Points
DigModiFicaTion said:
You'll also want to produce a poster for your edit in preparation for the approval process...

So how/when does the approval process start?

Should I send a PM with the download link to my fan edit to one of the admins?

theryaney

Faneditor
Reaction score
Trophy Points
DonKamillo said:
DigModiFicaTion said:
You'll also want to produce a poster for your edit in preparation for the approval process...

So how/when does the approval process start?

Should I send a PM with the download link to my fan edit to one of the admins?

It depends really. Just be patient.

TV's Frink

You Catch On Pretty Quick
Staff member
Donor
Faneditor
Reaction score
Trophy Points
DonKamillo said:
Well here is what I did:
  1. After I was done with my fan edit I wanted to spread the word and share it with other fans.
  2. I discovered fanedit.info but to get my fan edit up there it has to be registered in the fan edit database (IFDB)
  3. So I arrived here and registered an account.
  4. I read the page for first time fan editors but did not find a submission form or anything similar to submit my edit for review
  5. I contacted an admin (DominicCobb) via PM and asked for some pointers but didn't get an answer
  6. I wrote an email to the staff and asked for help but didn't get an answer
  7. I created this forum post with the details of my cut

Re #5 - You did the right thing.  DominicCobb is very busy but will reach out to you eventually.  Please have patience.
Re #6 - What email address did you use and where did you get the address from?  I'm not sure it's even monitored but I will find out.

DonKamillo

Faneditor
Reaction score
Trophy Points
TVs Frink said:
Re #5 - You did the right thing.  DominicCobb is very busy but will reach out to you eventually.  Please have patience.
Re #6 - What email address did you use and where did you get the address from?  I'm not sure it's even monitored but I will find out.

Re: Re #5 - Okay good to know, thanks for reassuring me  :D 
Re: Re #6 - I used the "Contact Us" form on this page

DonKamillo

Faneditor
Reaction score
Trophy Points
Just wanted to thank everybody who sent me a message and wants to see my Fanedit. I decided that while I'm waiting for the submission process to start I might as well share it with you guys  :D

So everybody who wants to watch the Anti-Cringe-Cut, just send me a PM. The only thing I would ask in return is, that you leave some feedback here after you watched it. I would really appreciate it!

DonKamillo

Faneditor
Reaction score
Trophy Points
So DominicCobb finally answered and I'm in the process to submit my edit!

While I was waiting for his answer, I added some changes to my cut:

• The intro crawl text changed slightly (thanks @DigModiFicaTion for the tutorial) to include that Snoke has been training "his apprentice Kylo Ren" and that the rebels are certain that "young Rey will find Luke Skywalker and with his help restore a spark of hope to the fight".
  • Minor changes to the scene where Poe attacks the Dreadnought. Removed the Whac-A-Mole joke, where BB8 is trying to fix Poe's ship cannons.
  • Some changes to the first scene on the island with Luke and Rey. Now instead of just cutting the part out where Luke throws away the light saber, he gives it back to Rey and tells her, that he's sorry before walking off, making her confused expression right after, more believable.
  • Changed the scene where Chewbacca and Rey burst into Luke's hut so that Rey doesn't explain to Luke what Chewie is saying (to assume that Luke doesn't understand him after all that time is an insult).
  • Made some minor changes to the scene where Poe is asking Holdo if she has a plan. It now seems that she tells him what it is.
  • Changed the scene where Rey is fighting Luke so it doesn't appear that she overpowers him so easily. Right before the fight Luke hears Yoda's voice telling him not to attack her, which results in him just dodging her hits and staying on the defensive. 
I'm still waiting for feedback to come in for the preview version I sent out to some of you guys but as I see it, my cut is now 100% finished and ready for submission!

The Scribbling Man

Tenant of the Tower of Flints
Staff member
Donor
Faneditor
Reaction score
Trophy Points
Your trailer made me lol.  :D

I don't normally say "lol", but it felt appropriate.

Top Bottom