• Most new users don't bother reading our rules. Here's the one that is ignored almost immediately upon signup: DO NOT ASK FOR FANEDIT LINKS PUBLICLY. First, read the FAQ. Seriously. What you want is there. You can also send a message to the editor. If that doesn't work THEN post in the Trade & Request forum. Anywhere else and it will be deleted and an infraction will be issued.
  • If this is your first time here please read our FAQ and Rules pages. They have some useful information that will get us all off on the right foot, especially our Own the Source rule. If you do not understand any of these rules send a private message to one of our staff for further details.
  • Please read our Rules & Guidelines

Vote now in wave 1 of the FEOTM Reboot!

Star Wars in 3-D

Will you watch the 3D re-release of the Star Wars movies?

• Yes, if it's Star Wars on the big screen, I'm there!

Votes: 9 31.0%
  • Yes, but only the PT because the digital effects will make for better 3D

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Yes, but only the OT because I cant stand watching the PT in unedited format

Votes: 4 13.8%
  • No, leave them alone George!

Votes: 7 24.1%
  • No, but I would pay money to watch the original theatrical versions of the OT!

Votes: 9 31.0%

• Total voters
  • Poll votes is visible for users with special permission.
... I have to give them this... with Industrial Light and Magic in charge of the conversion, I expect a much better conversion than on anything we have seen so far. ILM, especially with Lucas breathing down their necks, has always been at the cutting edge of effects. If I don't have faith in Lucas, I have faith in ILM.

Did not they gave the work to the compagny that made Choc of the titans? (I suppose under the control of Lucasfilm, but still. I have not seen COT, but it was bad from wha I heard.

I read an article that yes, the same house that did COT is handling the project, but the details of how Lucasfilm/ILM is managing the project and supplying digital models isn't being revealed. The article did point out however that time was a major issue for COT being a 3D bomb, they've been given a lot of time to make SW right, and I think LFL is keeping them on a very short leash.

thunderclap said:
Well, it looks like if TPM doesn't do well Lucasfilm won't release any more in 3D. You can read about it here.
Hilarious. "Hey, NERDS! If you want your kids to have the experience of seeing the OT on the big screen, you'll have to bend over and let Jar-Jar have his way with you first!" :lol:

L8wrtr said:
Starting in 2012, Lucas will be re-releasing one Star Wars movie a year, each now in 3D. Will you be there?

No.

I've seen Avatar and Tron in 3D at the cinema and wasn't impressed. I feel it's strictly for the kids or for the casual cinema goer. I love film, so I don't need or want a daft gimmick. The fact that they charge extra too is an insult. So, as much as I love Star Wars, I won't be there. Unless, of course, I hear it's so unbelievably amazing.

While I agree that 3D is often simply a gimmick to raise prices, I don't think Avatar and Tron Legacy work as examples of that. Avatar's 3D was for the most part very subtle and immersive, and 3D made perfect sense for the world of Tron.

TV's Frink said:
While I agree that 3D is often simply a gimmick to raise prices, I don't think Avatar and Tron Legacy work as examples of that. Avatar's 3D was for the most part very subtle and immersive, and 3D made perfect sense for the world of Tron.

You speak the truth.

It doesn't get more gimmicky than Star Wars re-released in 3D.

On a related side tangent though, It does fascinate me how much growing interest there seems to be in seeing old movies in the theater. This seems counter intuitive to me. Back when home theaters were non-existent, there was little money to be made in a re-release. Now home technology is very advanced and re-release demand is greater than ever! I went to local theater on Monday that was showing Waynes World and it was sold out!

yeah because contrary to what some people think no matter how good your home cinema - the cinema going experience will never be replaced

Agreed. The theater is just more fun even without 3D.

Sunarep said:
yeah because contrary to what some people think no matter how good your home cinema - the cinema going experience will never be replaced

Exactly this. With re-releases it's a matter of supply and demand. There is certainly a healthy desire for quality old films (and even less than quality) to be seen on the big screen.

About two months ago I was lucky enough to attend the AMC movie festival in Hollywood where among other films, I got to see a 4K digital print of the Godfather the Chinese Grauman's theater, as well as To Kill a Mockingbird and The Outlaw Josey Wales. There is simply nothing like seeing a movie on the big screen.

L8wrtr said:
About two months ago I was lucky enough to attend the AMC movie festival in Hollywood where among other films, I got to see a 4K digital print of the Godfather the Chinese Grauman's theater, as well as To Kill a Mockingbird and The Outlaw Josey Wales. There is simply nothing like seeing a movie on the big screen.

Sweet. that would have been fun.

Back
Top Bottom