• Most new users don't bother reading our rules. Here's the one that is ignored almost immediately upon signup: DO NOT ASK FOR FANEDIT LINKS PUBLICLY. First, read the FAQ. Seriously. What you want is there. You can also send a message to the editor. If that doesn't work THEN post in the Trade & Request forum. Anywhere else and it will be deleted and an infraction will be issued.
  • If this is your first time here please read our FAQ and Rules pages. They have some useful information that will get us all off on the right foot, especially our Own the Source rule. If you do not understand any of these rules send a private message to one of our staff for further details.
  • Please read our Rules & Guidelines

Vote now in wave 1 of the FEOTM Reboot!

Star Wars in 3-D

Will you watch the 3D re-release of the Star Wars movies?

• Yes, if it's Star Wars on the big screen, I'm there!

Votes: 9 31.0%
  • Yes, but only the PT because the digital effects will make for better 3D

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Yes, but only the OT because I cant stand watching the PT in unedited format

Votes: 4 13.8%
  • No, leave them alone George!

Votes: 7 24.1%
  • No, but I would pay money to watch the original theatrical versions of the OT!

Votes: 9 31.0%

• Total voters
  • Poll votes is visible for users with special permission.
thunderclap said:
No. Converting 2D films to 3D is like colorizing black and white. It's shit.
Ditto. Avatar that was filmed with the intent to be 3D? Awesome. Most every poser 3D movie I have seen since? shit. I think they should be required to disclose more clearly which movies were actually filmed for 3D.

I even hope 3D will free us of the shaky cam syndrom for good.

3D fanedits, anyone? :D

Also the deleted Jabba scene in the DVD of Adywan's ANH:R is in red/blue 3D.

In the interest of full disclosure, this is what they've seen:

Episode I: The Phantom Edit & Shadow of the Sith
Episode II: Attack of the Phantom and The Republic Divided
Episode III: N/A
Episode IV: Revisited & Original Theatrical
Episode V: Original Theatrical and Adywan's color corrected restoration
Episode VI: Original Theatrical & Special Edition once.

I presume they haven't seen III because daddy (or is it mommy??) thinks it is too violent for them to see yet?

I presume they haven't seen III because there's no L8ized version of it yet.

I just wonder what they'll think when they see the originals. Do you plan on showing Spence's VI?

Oh, man, you're raising your kids in a delusional environment akin to The Truman Show in which you make them grow up believing all Star Wars movies are good. Talk about Plato's cave! I'm not sure it doesn't violate the Geneva Convention.

I can already see it turned into the next shock drama blockbuster:

They lived a perfect existence...

[L8's boy to classmate]:-"Star Wars Episode I! I've seen it about 20 times, it's my favorite movie!"

...or so... they... thought...

[Classmate]: -"Ugh! They sure blew it with that midichlorians thing, man."

[L8's boy]: -"Midichlorians? What's a midichlorians?"

(cue tense dramatic music)

I just hear the Inception soundtrack when I read this.

Well, it looks like if TPM doesn't do well Lucasfilm won't release any more in 3D. You can read about it here.

How can it not do well when the production cost is almost nothing?

Everything in my mind says "no" but when the time comes I bet my body says "yes."

theologyjohn said:
Everything in my mind says "no" but when the time comes I bet my body says "yes."

i don't see the point of going to see them again in 3D. why? why go see it in 3D, when there are other films out there that we could potentially go see in 3D instead? plus, it's not exactly like I don't already know what's gonna happen in it. went to see Phantom Menace when it came out, shame on me. George, your not gonna get me to go see it in 3D when I already know that it's a subpar film to begin with.

A friend of mine went to the new Star Tours in Disneyland which is in 3-D. We didn't get to talk at great length but he said that quite simply it was the best 3-D he'd ever seen, at minimum on par with Avatar if not better.

So this got me to thinking, how would Lucas use 3D, and how do non-Cameron directors use it. In the past I read how some directors prefer to strategically use 3-D so that it is purely an enhancement, not a distraction so for solid, slow scenes, what you could call the dramatic meat and potatoes type scenes, they user virtually no 3D, but when there is motion, a when the action on screen can be enhanced by 3D, they then use it. I apologize I cannot recall the article, but the basic premise makes a great deal of sense.

If you then take that approach and apply it to something like Star Wars, it actually begins to seem possible that it could be applied correctly if given proper restraint, but I disagree with the notion that the production costs are next to nothing. The areas of obvious 3D conversion will be the action sequences, and to do those correctly my guess is that they will be heavily recreated in order to achieve quality 3D. Logically, Lucas would use a combination of the central 'real' elements and then combine them with completely digital effects which would in fact be ideal for the 3D process because he can control exactly what is in focus, what the depth of field is etc.. The opening flight of the Republic Cruiser landing on the Droid Control ship, the interiors of the ship, the Pod Race, the *shudder* Planet Core, all should lend themselves to fantastic 3D conversions, but will not be cheap. Likewise, trying to add a more subtle 3D effect to existing 'flat footage won't be cheap either because, and this is just my guess/assumption, Lucas will demand that they do even the more subtle scenes well which requires painstaking work to create depth of field.

These aren't going to be cheap, and I am actually beginning to suspect that the 3D quality will add to them. The bigger question remains, how can I fathom watching unedited versions of Episodes 1 and 2?

L8wrtr said:
Likewise, trying to add a more subtle 3D effect to existing 'flat footage won't be cheap either because, and this is just my guess/assumption, Lucas will demand that they do even the more subtle scenes well which requires painstaking work to create depth of field.

Subtle? Lucas doesn't know what that means.

thunderclap said:
Subtle? Lucas doesn't know what that means.

Camel-like alien fart in your face in 3D! Can't wait!

Back
Top Bottom