• Most new users don't bother reading our rules. Here's the one that is ignored almost immediately upon signup: DO NOT ASK FOR FANEDIT LINKS PUBLICLY. First, read the FAQ. Seriously. What you want is there. You can also send a message to the editor. If that doesn't work THEN post in the Trade & Request forum. Anywhere else and it will be deleted and an infraction will be issued.
  • If this is your first time here please read our FAQ and Rules pages. They have some useful information that will get us all off on the right foot, especially our Own the Source rule. If you do not understand any of these rules send a private message to one of our staff for further details.
  • Please read our Rules & Guidelines

Star Wars (I-III) Reimagined...

NewSpock

Faneditor
Reaction score
Trophy Points
Merry christmas!

A few days ago I started working on a 3 in 1 edit of Star Wars I-III. To tell the story of Anakin falling to the dark side and at the same time showing Palpatine forming the republic into an empire is an interesting story, but imho it wasn't told very well.

For one 3 movies are a bit much for that, as the story is filled to the brim with unnessecary scenes and characters, by reducing it to one it's possible to give the interesting characters and story more weight, with a focus on these things:

1. Making Anakin more sympathetic, retell his romance with Padme in a more relateable way and show that his downfall develops naturally out of his frustration with people dying that he loves.

2. I'll remove Grievous and reduce Count Doku considerably.

3. To reduce the talking (I know ironic given that there was an editor here that wanted to cut down much of the talking of Star Trek V-VII and to focus on nice visuals instead, and others and me taking offense:), but here the talking got overboard).

4. To reduce CGI. Well, about 90% of the movies or more are bathed in CGI, but still removing some of the worst looking ones goes a long way.

5. Only Darth Sidious should use the lightning-attack.

6. To remove what I didn't like: Like Jar Jar Binks or seeing Yoda fight, it robs him of some of his mystery, so I'll remove his fights and show him only once using his lightsaber, when the army clones were trying to shoot him. R2D2 doesn't fly around. And I didn't like seeing Vader's outfit at the end, and some other things, like the midichlorians as an explanation for the force or that Anakin had no father...

I aim for a running time of 3 hours or under, it will be in HD and with 5.1 sound.

If someone could create a cover for this, that would be great (my skills are not good enough yet to do it myself).:)

TV's Frink

You Catch On Pretty Quick
Staff member
Donor
Faneditor
Reaction score
Trophy Points
NewSpock said:
Hehe, I meant of course Jar Jar Binks.

latest

:p

NewSpock

Faneditor
Reaction score
Trophy Points
Takes a lot of work to make Hayden Christensen's Anakin to be relateable and sympathic.:)

NewSpock

Faneditor
Reaction score
Trophy Points
Thanks Frink, now I have to cut the line "Now they are two of them" for this edit since it makes me always laugh.:)

mrbenja0618

Reaction score
Trophy Points
Very interested in the removal of Grievous. How do you achieve this?

NewSpock

Faneditor
Reaction score
Trophy Points
mrbenja0618 said:
Very interested in the removal of Grievous. How do you achieve this?

See with your own eyes you must.;-)

TomH1138

Reaction score
Trophy Points
Sounds good! I look forward to seeing your work.

I think 3-in-1 cuts are going to start becoming more and more common than individual episode edits. There's just so much nonsense that can be lost in the PT.

Kal-El

Reaction score
Trophy Points
You might want to remove the bit where Palpatine explains Plagueis was a master of midi-chlorians manipulation, since you plan to remove mention of it elsewhere.

There was an addition to that scene originally where Palpatine literally confessed to Anakin that he was Darth Sidious, that he learnt that manipulation as well and that he was the one to incite pregnancy with Smee. He literally stated "You might say I'm your father, Anakin."

While (thankfully) that scene was cut, the opera scene as it exists now still heavily implies that Palpatine is responsible for Anakin's birth. There's definitely a way around that so if you see it, I suggest you trim it down :)

Furthermore I don't know how you're going to include TPM but I suggest keeping it to the bare minimum and only using it as partial flashbacks? Sort of like Renascent but a lot shorter? There's a time gap between TPM and AOTC and another one between AOTC and ROTS (especially evident with Anakin's haircut changing) so two in one film might be a bit much. Just my two cents :)

NewSpock

Faneditor
Reaction score
Trophy Points
Kal-El said:
You might want to remove the bit where Palpatine explains Plagueis was a master of midi-chlorians manipulation, since you plan to remove mention of it elsewhere.

There was an addition to that scene originally where Palpatine literally confessed to Anakin that he was Darth Sidious, that he learnt that manipulation as well and that he was the one to incite pregnancy with Smee. He literally stated "You might say I'm your father, Anakin."

While (thankfully) that scene was cut, the opera scene as it exists now still heavily implies that Palpatine is responsible for Anakin's birth. There's definitely a way around that so if you see it, I suggest you trim it down :)

Furthermore I don't know how you're going to include TPM but I suggest keeping it to the bare minimum and only using it as partial flashbacks? Sort of like Renascent but a lot shorter? There's a time gap between TPM and AOTC and another one between AOTC and ROTS (especially evident with Anakin's haircut changing) so two in one film might be a bit much. Just my two cents :)

Thanks for your input. :)

Midichlorians are completely removed and the question of Anakin's father doesn't come up at all in this edit.

Thanks to the holidays and vacation I was able to put some good time into this edit and a first version is finished. Only a little subtitling is needed yet. Have to watch it on the TV from start to finish to see if it all works as I envisioned it and make some touching up if needed.
The only problem is that I wasn't able to get it under 3 hours, it's now 3 hours and 20 minutes (including the credits) long.

Kal-El

Reaction score
Trophy Points
NewSpock said:
Thanks for your input. :)

Midichlorians are completely removed and the question of Anakin's father doesn't come up at all in this edit.

Thanks to the holidays and vacation I was able to put some good time into this edit and a first version is finished. Only a little subtitling is needed yet. Have to watch it on the TV from start to finish to see if it all works as I envisioned it and make some touching up if needed.
The only problem is that I wasn't able to get it under 3 hours, it's now 3 hours and 20 minutes (including the credits) long.

Did you include TPM in any way? Apart from the obvious fact that Anakin had to be picked up by Obi-Wan somewhere I doubt there's actually anything you really need from that film?

NewSpock

Faneditor
Reaction score
Trophy Points
Kal-El said:
Did you include TPM in any way?

I don't want to spoiler things, but parts of TPM are in this edit. I have scourged through the edit again and again to try to shave off some minutes here or there, but narratively there was no way to shorten it further without breaking something.

Regarding filesize, what do you prefer for this 1080p-edit? A filesize of 10 GB or 16 GB?

And if someone would like to make a cover for this edit, that would be great, as my skills in making one aren't yet good enough.:)

Fanedit

Reaction score
Trophy Points
NewSpock said:
I don't want to spoiler things,

My question is, why not spoiler things? This is a place for faneditors to bounce ideas off each other. I like to see other people's cutlists and proposed ideas. That is part of the fun of this site. If you are worried about spoiling things for some, you can put your cutlist and ideas in spoiler tags. If you just want to work the thing on your own with no input from others, then why even start a thread?

I am not trying to come off as confrontational, just offering some constructive criticism of your creative process. :)

NewSpock

Faneditor
Reaction score
Trophy Points
Fanedit said:
My question is, why not spoiler things? This is a place for faneditors to bounce ideas off each other. I like to see other people's cutlists and proposed ideas. That is part of the fun of this site. If you are worried about spoiling things for some, you can put your cutlist and ideas in spoiler tags. If you just want to work the thing on your own with no input from others, then why even start a thread?

I am not trying to come off as confrontational, just offering some constructive criticism of your creative process. :)

Thanks for your input.:)

In the first posting of this thread, in the spoilered area, I've already posted the general ideas for this edit. But I don't want to tell everything, since I also want people to enjoy new things while watching the edit.

Fanedit

Reaction score
Trophy Points
Fair enough. Cheers and good luck with this.

Dustin6595

Reaction score
Trophy Points
I'm very much interested in 3-in 1 edits of the prequels, I think it makes more sense. It never needed to be a trilogy. I wouldn't mind seeing an early version of this edit if your interested in getting some feedback.

Top Bottom