• Most new users don't bother reading our rules. Here's the one that is ignored almost immediately upon signup: DO NOT ASK FOR FANEDIT LINKS PUBLICLY. First, read the FAQ. Seriously. What you want is there. You can also send a message to the editor. If that doesn't work THEN post in the Trade & Request forum. Anywhere else and it will be deleted and an infraction will be issued.
  • If this is your first time here please read our FAQ and Rules pages. They have some useful information that will get us all off on the right foot. More details on our policies, especially our Own the Source rule are available here. If you do not understand any of these rules send a private message to one of our staff for further details.
  • Favorite Edit of the Year (FEOTY) Nominations for 2020 are now open! Submit your entries here.

Star Wars (I-III) Reimagined...

NewSpock

Well-known member
Faneditor
Messages
908
Reaction score
0
Trophy Points
21
Dustin6595 said:
I'm very much interested in 3-in 1 edits of the prequels, I think it makes more sense. It never needed to be a trilogy. I wouldn't mind seeing an early version of this edit if your interested in getting some feedback.

Sure, thanks, when the preview version is uploaded I write you a pm. :)

If someone could create a cover for this, that would be great, my skills in that area are still lacking a bit.

Happy new year!
 

bionicbob

Well-known member
Donor
Faneditor
Messages
6,892
Reaction score
126
Trophy Points
118
NewSpock said:
If someone could create a cover for this, that would be great, my skills in that area are still lacking a bit.

It might help if you tell us specifically what you want in the cover design (or don't want) before someone commits, since the last few times members posted cover ideas for your edits none met with your creative vision.
 

NewSpock

Well-known member
Faneditor
Messages
908
Reaction score
0
Trophy Points
21
bionicbob said:
It might help if you tell us specifically what you want in the cover design (or don't want) before someone commits, since the last few times members posted cover ideas for your edits none met with your creative vision.

Thanks for your input bionicbob, yeah Buffy was a difficult case, but I liked your idea (that's why I used some of the ideas from it for my cover) and the one from Scar. You can freely suggest and the cover the forum-readers here think is best will then be the official cover for it.
This time I won't do one myself as I'm clearly not in the league necessary yet.:)

Regarding Star Wars, originally I had thought the reason I don't like the prequels nearly as much as the original movies was because the prequels used so much bad looking CGI and that there was this desaster called Jar Jar Binks or that Hayden's Anakin was such an arrogant son of a b**** from the get-go. While that adds to the dislike, the real reason is imho something else:

The original movies had a clear good-vs-evil-structure, you met Luke, Han, Chewie and Leia, who are all good, have a good chemistry with each other and you root for them while they try to defeat an evil empire, and Vader who is the most prominent symbol of the empire then surprisingly happens to be the
father of Luke
, which makes the whole good vs evil even more personal.

The prequels don't have the possibility for such a structure, it's more a retelling in more details of what you already know, ie. how Anakin got seduced to the dark side, and how a republic turned into an empire. Yes, it's interesting, but in such a story there is nothing to root for or to be cheerful about, there is no coregroup... it's a story, where the evil tries to breakthrough, but who would want to root for evil?

That's probably why JJ Abrams decided to basically remake Star Wars IV, instead of telling a brand new story, the good vs evil-story, as basic as it may sound is just powerful, and within it you can create sympathy, relations that you care for, be cheerful, have a cause you can root for. Still I wished Abrams would have used new threats and plotdevices to at least make it seem like a new plot.

Back to the prequels, so given this, I don't think it's ever possible to make the prequels get that energy, joy and excitement the original Star Wars could induce, but it's imho possible to tell its interesting story in a much more convincing way.
 

TV's Frink

You Catch On Pretty Quick
Staff member
Donor
Faneditor
Messages
23,447
Reaction score
48
Trophy Points
158
I think we are going to take the spoiler tag away until you learn how to use it properly. They cost too much to be wasted.
 

NewSpock

Well-known member
Faneditor
Messages
908
Reaction score
0
Trophy Points
21
Hehe, you won't believe it, two colleagues of me have never seen any Star Wars-movie yet.:oops:

Here's a trailer:


Password: Skywalker
 

bionicbob

Well-known member
Donor
Faneditor
Messages
6,892
Reaction score
126
Trophy Points
118
A SEVEN minute trailer?!?!

Edited to one the most iconic movie themes ever from another franchise?

And still this trailer did not tell me anything of how your edit differs other than being a 3-1 project. Are you rescoring the edit with an alternate soundtrack? What makes your edit special? Why should one watch? The trailer is suppose to sell your idea and make the viewer want more. One should not have to read the thread to understand the trailer.
 

NewSpock

Well-known member
Faneditor
Messages
908
Reaction score
0
Trophy Points
21
bionicbob said:
A SEVEN minute trailer?!?!

Edited to one the most iconic movie themes ever from another franchise?

And still this trailer did not tell me anything of how your edit differs other than being a 3-1 project. Are you rescoring the edit with an alternate soundtrack? What makes your edit special? Why should one watch? The trailer is suppose to sell your idea and make the viewer want more. One should not have to read the thread to understand the trailer.

Thanks for your input, that's all true.:)

I just like to do trailers that aren't explicitly descriptive, but still implicitly hint at things. Oh, and yeah, the whole edit is rescored with Rocky-music, gives it much needed punch.;-)

The last line was a joke, just to be sure: There's no rescoring at all in this edit!
 

Kal-El

Well-known member
Messages
4,311
Reaction score
1
Trophy Points
43
Other than the weird choice of trailer music as none of it fits the footage it accompanies (if I may be so blunt), it's true what Bob says: it looks more like a footage reel than anything else. It doesn't really entice us in any way. Your trailer for your previous 3-in-1 OT Star Wars films at least had that much, AND dialogue/sfx to boot :) That trailer needed work too, if I may say so, but it was heaps better than this one :)

Also, just a small nitpick: Anakin was supposed to be arrogant. If you feel he was arrogant, then you can rest assured Hayden Christensen got that part right. Anakin was arrogant because he felt himself to be the master saviour of the Jedis, he would bring balance to the Force. He wanted to be a Jedi Master and whenever it came to be, it couldn't happen fast enough. So he took every single opportunity he had to learn, to grow. And if someone like Palpatine came around dangling that opportunity in front of his nose on a hook... He fell for it, hook, line and sinker. His arrogance was his downfall. Or at the very least the catalyst.
 

NewSpock

Well-known member
Faneditor
Messages
908
Reaction score
0
Trophy Points
21
Kal-El said:
Other than the weird choice of trailer music as none of it fits the footage it accompanies (if I may be so blunt), it's true what Bob says: it looks more like a footage reel than anything else.

Hi, Kal-El, I already told bionicbob, that what he said is true.

Kal-El said:
It doesn't really entice us in any way. Your trailer for your previous 3-in-1 OT Star Wars films at least had that much, AND dialogue/sfx to boot :) That trailer needed work too, if I may say so, but it was heaps better than this one :)

Yeah, the trailer for the other star wars-edit was more traditional, with text, dialogue... I liked it also, but even though this one doesn't fulfill the criteria for a trailer, I like it a little bit more.

Just a nitpick: You don't need to hide your opinion behind "we" or "us", you have good arguments you can stand by them for yourself.



Kal-El said:
Also, just a small nitpick: Anakin was supposed to be arrogant. If you feel he was arrogant, then you can rest assured Hayden Christensen got that part right. Anakin was arrogant because he felt himself to be the master saviour of the Jedis, he would bring balance to the Force. He wanted to be a Jedi Master and whenever it came to be, it couldn't happen fast enough. So he took every single opportunity he had to learn, to grow. And if someone like Palpatine came around dangling that opportunity in front of his nose on a hook... He fell for it, hook, line and sinker. His arrogance was his downfall. Or at the very least the catalyst.

I know how Lucas told it in the original version, but I don't like that version, though it also works. The thing is when Obi Wan Kenobi tells in Star Wars IV and VI about Anakin, he portrayed a sympathic picture of him, as a good pilot, warrior and good friend and he smiled when looking back. But in II-III he is very dislikable, arrogant, whiny, instable throughout, that it doesn't seem to fit.

So in this edit
I make him sympathic, and his drifting to the dark side is merely born out of his fear of the death of people he loves, catalysed by the death of his mother, and the visions of Padme's death he gets (and ironically he is the one causing her death).
 

NewSpock

Well-known member
Faneditor
Messages
908
Reaction score
0
Trophy Points
21
Can someone help out by creating a cover for this?
 

bionicbob

Well-known member
Donor
Faneditor
Messages
6,892
Reaction score
126
Trophy Points
118
NewSpock said:
Can someone help out by creating a cover for this?

I would be willing but you will need to PM me the specific images you want used on the front and back and provide me a written synopsis.
 

NewSpock

Well-known member
Faneditor
Messages
908
Reaction score
0
Trophy Points
21
bionicbob said:
I would be willing but you will need to PM me the specific images you want used on the front and back and provide me a written synopsis.

Thanks for the help, I'll think about the synopsis and write you a pm, as to the pictures, you can freely choose what you think is best for such a cover, as long as neither Jar Jar Binks nor General Grievous are on them. :)
 

bionicbob

Well-known member
Donor
Faneditor
Messages
6,892
Reaction score
126
Trophy Points
118
Sorry, but no, I am not going down that road again.
You choose the dvd artwork you want to use and I will happily put it together for you. :)
 

bionicbob

Well-known member
Donor
Faneditor
Messages
6,892
Reaction score
126
Trophy Points
118
Ok, I may regret this, but here is the idea I came up with....

mbTtvo1l.jpg
 

beezo

Well-known member
Faneditor
Messages
371
Reaction score
0
Trophy Points
26
bionicbob said:
Ok, I may regret this, but here is the idea I came up with....

mbTtvo1l.jpg
I like the image on the left better than the one on the right, which makes me think it would make for a better front page. Moreover, I'd recommend switching Vader and Annakin in the background so that Vader is looking to the right. We typically view time as going from left to right so having Annakin transform into Vader would better be represented with those images swapped, while keeping the Annakin in the foreground, just as his is, in tact. Then, the back of the case could use most of the image on the right, accommodating for the appropriate text.
 

Kal-El

Well-known member
Messages
4,311
Reaction score
1
Trophy Points
43
NewSpock said:
Just a nitpick: You don't need to hide your opinion behind "we" or "us", you have good arguments you can stand by them for yourself.
I'm free to say we if others have already expressed the same sentiment but I get what you're saying so ok, duly noted :)
NewSpock said:
I know how Lucas told it in the original version, but I don't like that version, though it also works. The thing is when Obi Wan Kenobi tells in Star Wars IV and VI about Anakin, he portrayed a sympathic picture of him, as a good pilot, warrior and good friend and he smiled when looking back. But in II-III he is very dislikable, arrogant, whiny, instable throughout, that it doesn't seem to fit.

So in this edit I make him sympathic, and his drifting to the dark side is merely born out of his fear of the death of people he loves, catalysed by the death of his mother, and the visions of Padme's death he gets (and ironically he is the one causing her death).[/Spoiler]
AHA! That's something else entirely, I did not get that from your initial statement :) I'm all FOR having a sympathetic Anakin being completely overwhelmed by the conniving schemes of a sinister Palpatine. GO, GO, GO! Just so long as you keep the character traits that ultimately lure him to the Dark Side (wanting to be the best Jedi he can be, wanting to save Padmé, etc).

beezo said:
I like the image on the left better than the one on the right, which makes me think it would make for a better front page. Moreover, I'd recommend switching Vader and Annakin in the background so that Vader is looking to the right. We typically view time as going from left to right so having Annakin transform into Vader would better be represented with those images swapped, while keeping the Annakin in the foreground, just as his is, in tact. Then, the back of the case could use most of the image on the right, accommodating for the appropriate text.
Agreed. I'd raise the opacity on the back picture (the Anakin/Vader blend only) and then put the back text blurb on top of that. Having the Anakin/Vader red picture as the front seems very cool :) Nice job, BOB!!
 

addiesin

Well-known member
Messages
4,852
Reaction score
130
Trophy Points
83
Kal-El said:
I'd raise the opacity on the back picture (the Anakin/Vader blend only)

Opacity? You mean contrast? It looks fully opaque to me.
 

TM2YC

Well-known member
Staff member
Donor
Faneditor
Messages
13,017
Reaction score
317
Trophy Points
198
Nice work Bob :). One thing I noticed though, it looks a bit like "ST AR WARS" and the first two and last two letters are typically linked.
 

Dustin6595

Well-known member
Messages
221
Reaction score
14
Trophy Points
23
bionicbob said:
Ok, I may regret this, but here is the idea I came up with....

mbTtvo1l.jpg

I love the image on the left in terms of the foreground, but the image on the right has a gorgeous background. If they could be mixed together in some way it would be a beautiful cover. Regardless, great artwork.
 
Top Bottom