• Most new users don't bother reading our rules. Here's the one that is ignored almost immediately upon signup: DO NOT ASK FOR FANEDIT LINKS PUBLICLY. First, read the FAQ. Seriously. What you want is there. You can also send a message to the editor. If that doesn't work THEN post in the Trade & Request forum. Anywhere else and it will be deleted and an infraction will be issued.
  • If this is your first time here please read our FAQ and Rules pages. They have some useful information that will get us all off on the right foot, especially our Own the Source rule. If you do not understand any of these rules send a private message to one of our staff for further details.
  • Please read our Rules & Guidelines

Read BEFORE posting Trades & Request

Star Wars Fanedits - Which ones to get ?

L8wrtr said:
E2, I've only seen 3 versions; Theatrical, Attack of the Phantom and Diamond Wan's. It's a small sample, but of the three Diamond Wan's project is better than Nichols' work by far.
FYI, Diamond's cutlist is coming soon. :)

Hate to be a thread necromancer (thread necrophiliac? ew) but with all these new edits coming out so frequently, and me being fairly new, it's always good to see if anyone's opinion has changed.

Personally, I like L8wrtr's E1, but I haven't gotten around to 2 or 3 yet. Part of me wants to wait till he drops the rest of his PT this summer, but I don't know if I can wait that long. No pressure L8 :p

No one wants to see him drop his PT. ;)

BigDamnHero said:
Hate to be a thread necromancer (thread necrophiliac? ew) but with all these new edits coming out so frequently, and me being fairly new, it's always good to see if anyone's opinion has changed.

Personally, I like L8wrtr's E1, but I haven't gotten around to 2 or 3 yet. Part of me wants to wait till he drops the rest of his PT this summer, but I don't know if I can wait that long. No pressure L8 :p

For Episode III - Take Dark Force Rising, it's fantastic

Not to toot my own horn, but I saw L8's workprint of Ep. II and it shares a few similarities with mine. I think his is much much better than mine, but it might hold you over till he officially releases his. My edit fits with his Ep. I pretty well, anyway.

And I second the vote for Dark Force Rising, it's by far the best Ep. III.

Hmm. It feels like there was a more recent thread than this, but I can't seem to find it.

Anyway, after my half-joking suggestion in the thread "Star Wars New Digital Release!" that Lucasfilm releases the unaltered original trilogy but release fan edits in place of the prequels, it once again got me asking myself what the definitive fan edits to date are.

Looking at the FanEdit Database, there looked to be a way to sort by "Most Popular" or "Highest Rated" for all films, but not a way to sort those for just Star Wars films. So yesterday, with some free time on my hands, I made a list of those films.

The most popular prequel edits were easy enough to determine: L8wrtr wins hands-down in that category...

Ep. I: Shadows of the Sith -- Average rating: 8.9 out of 10; 44 votes
Ep. II: An Empire Divided -- 9.2 out of 10; 35 votes
Ep. III: Dawn of the Empire -- 9.4 out of 10; 25 votes

As for highest-rated, there's a little more variety:

Ep. I: Return of the Sith, by seciors -- 9.3; 16 votes
Ep. II: The Approaching Storm, by [MENTION=8536]Hal9000[/MENTION] -- 9.4; 11 votes
Ep. III: Labyrinth of Evil, by HAL 9000 -- 9.6; 14 votes

For the record, HAL 9000's Ep. I had an impressive 8.7 from 15 votes. seciors just edged him out on that one.

Of course, by no means am I saying that because these are considered the best that people should just give up on watching other fan edits and that no one else should ever attempt an edit. I cannot stress enough that I'm not just dismissing other people's work. But since there are so many edits, and that tends to overwhelm newcomers to the site, it seems like a nice idea to give them a good place to start.

While I was at it, I looked at the OT. [MENTION=5856]adywanuk[/MENTION] owns the Ep. IV edits, of course, with a perfect 10 out of 145 votes (!). ADigitalMan did a Special Edition of Empire that got an 8.8 out of 6 votes. And Q2 did an RotJ edit that got a 9.0 out of 6 votes.

(There are a few episodes that got very high ratings but only one vote, which I didn't include due to lack of consensus.)

Anyway, I hope this information is helpful to someone! And great job to all the editors, including the ones not mentioned here.

Lest we forget njvc's Pulp Empire - sure, it's not a fanfix but just for the sheer enjoyment value it's worth the time.

Sure. I wasn't talking about radical reinterpretations of the source material, as brilliant as they can be. Not only Pulp Empire, but The War of the Stars or the Ridiculous edits all fall into that category of doing great, different things with the footage. I was just talking about more straightforward edits that prune the bad stuff to create a better version of the movies.

Back
Top Bottom