• Most new users don't bother reading our rules. Here's the one that is ignored almost immediately upon signup: DO NOT ASK FOR FANEDIT LINKS PUBLICLY. First, read the FAQ. Seriously. What you want is there. You can also send a message to the editor. If that doesn't work THEN post in the Trade & Request forum. Anywhere else and it will be deleted and an infraction will be issued.
  • If this is your first time here please read our FAQ and Rules pages. They have some useful information that will get us all off on the right foot, especially our Own the Source rule. If you do not understand any of these rules send a private message to one of our staff for further details.
  • Please read our Rules & Guidelines

Read BEFORE posting Trades & Request

Star Wars Fanedits - Which ones to get ?

DarkPhoenix

Reaction score
Trophy Points
Hi.

Based on the listing here: http://fanedit.info/SW.html , I have decided to get all 6 movies and watch them again in order of the story not the release dates. Though I have been a fan of SW for many years and sat through the original StarWars 1977 film twice in a row at the age of 10, I have never watched the story like this.

I have chosen STAR WARS: EP IV 2004 Special Edition REVISITED by Adywan for A New Hope and I plan to get the 3 extended versions by AdigitalMan for Episodes 1, 2 and 3.

But what are the best re-edited versions of The Empire Strikes Back and The Return of the Jedi should I get?

I own all the original movies and considered getting the 1997 Special Edition releases of movies 4, 5 and 6 for the better CGI look and feel because I am going to watch all the movies back to back in one sitting. I do not have to do that now for Ep. 4 with the version by Adywan above.

Are there any fan edits based on the 1997 special editions of movies EP. 5 )the empire strikes back and EP. 6 return of the jedi - if not from the 2004 dvd ?

I want the longest and best movie experience I can get.. but pink lightsabers and yucky colorizations of the 2004 dvd series is not going to cut it.

Thanks! I look forward to your answers.

not to be a party pooper but around here "longest" seldom = the "best" version. :smile:
and IMO the SE's are blasphemous drivel ;)

TV's frink is right though, OT.com is THE place for star wars edits. Do poke around there if you want a broader variety!

elbarto1 said:
not to be a party pooper but around here "longest" seldom = the "best" version. :smile:
and IMO the SE's are blasphemous drivel ;)

couldn't agree more. The longer the PT, the more painful. As far as the OT goes, my favorites so far include:

Adyan's Special Edition Revisited for ANH, and one of the various theatrical preservations in general for all 3. Dark Jedi's latest GOUT project (using G-Force's AVS scripting) seems to be very promising.

but as the rest of the crowd stated, you'll find a lot of information (perhaps overwhelmingly too much) on star wars edits over at originaltrilogy.ccom

Thanks. I have been there and have looked at ADigitalMan's versions of those films. I don't like them at all because too many things were deleted to suit his personal tastes.

I don't know if anyone compared the original books (pre movies) to the movies to see what really should be canon or not but I feel deleting things from the original movies is a big no no.

Adding things to jazz them up to better natch the newer movies o.k. with me.. They didn't drasticly change the stories when they created the 1997 special editions.. the 2004 dvd editions did more harm in that respect. Yes adding deleted sceans like the 1,2 and 3 extended versions of ADigitalMan may be redundent if thet's why they removed them but I'd still rather see them as they were origionaly intended.

I would like these two the empire strikes back and return of the jedi movies to be uncut from the originals and remastered visually like the 1997 versions but perhaps with added deleted scenes.

Does anyone know of versions like that?

perhaps I should just stick with the 1997 versions for those huh?

I am no expert on the differences of all the star wars fanedits (cough FRINK cough) but if you WANT added cgi and remastered picture, you'll probably have to make do w/ the SE's as most fans/editors want that stuff gone.

The best ESB I have seen is adywans recent theatrical reconstruction. great picture and sound, no added crapola. There are HD caps available of most of the star wars films if you can play AVCHD/MKV. and adywans ESB revisited is in the works.

elbarto1 said:
(cough FRINK cough)
128708994840021094.jpg

Anyway, if you really are looking for '97 preservations/restorations, you might keep your eye on this one:
http://originaltrilogy.com/forum/topic. ... pic/10964/

I'm not that interested in the '97 SE so I don't know what else is out there, but I've read various references to completed works that you might be able to track down if you ask some questions in the SW preservation thread over there.

Personally, I'm a big fan of adywan's AVCHD of ESB, which is color-corrected but retains most of the (minor, IMO) changes that were made for the Special Editions.

For ROTJ, I like dark_jedi's GOUT-sourced project. The current available version is pretty good, and as ThrowgnCpr said, his update (in progress) is generating a lot of buzz.

TV's Frink said:
elbarto1 said:
(cough FRINK cough)

Personally, I'm a big fan of adywan's AVCHD of ESB, which is color-corrected but retains most of the (minor, IMO) changes that were made for the Special Editions.

For ROTJ, I like dark_jedi's GOUT-sourced project. The current available version is pretty good, and as ThrowgnCpr said, his update (in progress) is generating a lot of buzz.

I can't seem to find adywan's AVCHD of ESB in the completed list: http://originaltrilogy.com/forum/topic. ... pic/10870/ or here http://fanedit.info/SW.html

Where do I find it?

DarkPhoenix said:
I don't know if anyone compared the original books (pre movies) to the movies to see what really should be canon or not but I feel deleting things from the original movies is a big no no.
Um, weren't the books just novelizations of the movies? - even if they were released prior to the film. And canon? are you kidding, Lucas threw canon way out the door ages ago.

DarkPhoenix said:
Adding things to jazz them up to better natch the newer movies o.k. with me..
Just curious, but what year were you born? and more importantly do you work for Lucasfilm? Changing the original trilogy to match the prequels is just heresy.

DarkPhoenix said:
They didn't drasticly change the stories when they created the 1997 special editions.. the 2004 dvd editions did more harm in that respect.
no, they didn't drastically change the story, but they added some unnecessary BAD CGI. Some of those changes are on par with and worse than what they did in 2004

thunderclap said:
DarkPhoenix said:
I can't seem to find adywan's AVCHD of ESB in the completed list: http://originaltrilogy.com/forum/topic. ... pic/10870/ or here http://fanedit.info/SW.html

Where do I find it?

It's not done yet. I think it's slated to be released in early 2011.
Actually, you are referring to ESB: Revisited. Information on the completed AVCHD of ESB is here:
http://originaltrilogy.com/forum/topic. ... opic/9536/

Currently available are EP1, EP4, and EP5. EP6 will be available once color correction is done on ROTJ: Revisited (after ESB: Revisited is complete). No word yet on EP2 and EP3.

thunderclap said:
DarkPhoenix said:

Where do I find it?

It's not done yet. I think it's slated to be released in early 2011.

Word on the scene back in 77 was that there were a total of 9 books ( i think) that were already written that the movies were based on. This is how i remember it. It was the impression that they were books but perhaps they were just scripts.\

I landed on this rock back in 68. No I don't work for Lucas.

Any changes to the original films done to more closely match the newer films should only be visual/cosmetic. I don't have any problem with that.. if you are saying they changes the stroy to match the newer fils thats wrong.. they should have made the newer fils match existing established canon of the origional movies.. and how could they not if the scripts were based on those 9 books to begin with. I'd like to get my hands on and read those 9 books/scripts pre movies.

TV's Frink - Thanks for the link.. I'm checking it out.

ThrowgnCpr said:
DarkPhoenix said:
Um, weren't the books just novelizations of the movies? - even if they were released prior to the film. And canon? are you kidding, Lucas threw canon way out the door ages ago.

DarkPhoenix said:
Adding things to jazz them up to better natch the newer movies o.k. with me..
Just curious, but what year were you born? and more importantly do you work for Lucasfilm? Changing the original trilogy to match the prequels is just heresy.

DarkPhoenix said:
They didn't drasticly change the stories when they created the 1997 special editions.. the 2004 dvd editions did more harm in that respect.
no, they didn't drastically change the story, but they added some unnecessary BAD CGI. Some of those changes are on par with and worse than what they did in 2004

Back in 76 when the film just came out the stories going around said there were a total of 9 books or screen playes that were written and the Star Wars movies were to be based on them. It had always been my understanding that the back story for what happened pre OT had already been written in some form. Of course today you can't find any blogs that will say this but this is how I remember it. My friends and I had discussions about those 9 books/scripts.

Thats why I say compare the scripts for the new movies to the established back story in those scrips. As we know George likes to change things, I believe it is entirely possible those 9 scripts were written (and of course must have been because we all knew that A New Hope took place in the middle of the series) and George decided to change the worlds perception about them through mass media for whatever reason. If the people who wrote the newer movies stuck to the established scripte for episodes 1, 2 and 3, then there would be no need to change the OT to fit the new movies. They should have made the new movies to reflect the OT instead as this in movie form was as close to canon as we could get.

I was born in 68. No I do not work for LucasFilms.

The additions I do agree with for the special edition of the OT are only visual fror added backgrounds and jazzing up the footgae and effects to make them look more like newer technology. I would never propose they make any changes that actually changes the story - only make it look better.

You say the CGI was bad, but it still made the films look newer than the 70's and 80's. I feel for the 2004 dvd they made the video look much worse due to bad colorizations and heavily edited scenes like the who shot first thing.

TV's Frink: Thank you for the links, I will check them out.

To pick up the thread:

I'm planning on a Star Wars Marathon (or two separate Marathons) of Episodes 1-6
My List is currently:

Episode 1 -
Episode 2 -
Episode 3 - Rise of the Dark Side by Kerr, my favorite Episode 3 edit
Episode 4 - Star Wars Revisited by Adywan, no question
Episode 5 - Color corrected 1080p version by Adywan
Episode 6 -

I'm still looking for the other 3 Episodes.
I have watched the Phantom edit, but there are too many issues for me (i.e. not drastic enough) Phantom Edit is an intersting edit given it's historical background for fanediting, but it doesn't do it for me.
I tried l8's version of Episode 1 but it was nothing for my tastes the scene trimming was too quick to me, the scenes jumped too fast so i still need a bearable episode 1 version

Episode 2 - i have no idea. Attack of the Phantom was good but I have no references

Which leaves:
Episode 6 - i really have no ideas, maybe the Dan edit?

You guys have any suggestions?

Yeah, JasonN's Attack of the Federation (TPM) is really good, I'd definitely recommend that for your episode one.

The best episode two by far that I've seen is the workprint of Shroud of the Dark Side, which is nothing short of stunning - when (if?) that is ever released it'll be tough to beat as the best AOTC edit. Other than that Attack of the Phantom does the job, although the picture quality isn't the greatest.

The Dan Edit of ROTJ is good - although it's possible that I'm a little biased.

yads said:
The best episode two by far that I've seen is the workprint of Shroud of the Dark Side, which is nothing short of stunning - when (if?) that is ever released it'll be tough to beat as the best AOTC edit. Other than that Attack of the Phantom does the job, although the picture quality isn't the greatest.
Has this been posted anywhere on a webzone (trademark RLM ;)) or has it just been limited to those Trooperman has sent it to?

It's only been sent out to a few people, under the condition that they didn't put it online - Trooperman didn't want the workprint getting 'loose'. But, seriously, you should be excited about the prospect of the completed edit, for me the anticipation is up there with TESB:R.

This is what I watched with my buddies when we did a marathon the other night.

Episode 1 - Shadow of the Sith by L8
Episode 2 - Attack of the Clones by Spence
Episode 3 - Rise of the Dark Side by Kerr
Episode 4 - Star Wars Revisited by Adywan
Episode 5 - Original Theatrical DVD
Episode 6 - Gave up and skipped to the good stuff.

Yeah, so we wimped out on Jedi. That flow of the prequels especially worked well for us. And I know that the episode 2 edit is mine, but my friends and I have watched multiple episode 2 edits and that's the one they prefer.

I love Shadow of the Sith, but to each his own.

My Episode 2 removes tons of stuff to improve pacing, and I spent most of my time really working on getting the romance plot more believable. I also removed Yoda's fighting, which some people dislike. Check out my cutlist, it might work for you.

And I agree that Kerr's Episode III is the absolute best.

I hate ROJ in general, but I think the Dan edit is probably the best version so far.

Trooperman's cut sounds really intriguing, yads!

I'm obviously biased on E1;) and appreciate the love it's getting in here.
E2, I've only seen 3 versions; Theatrical, Attack of the Phantom and Diamond Wan's. It's a small sample, but of the three Diamond Wan's project is better than Nichols' work by far.
E3, I'm biased as I have a workprint that I'm quite fond of, but by all accounts, Kerr seems to have nailed it.
E4, is it even worth discussing?
E5, as Frink says, Ady's color corrected AVCHD, its beautiful and until ESB:R comes out is my go-to-version.
E6, Yad's Dan Edit is the best out there for now. It's a no-frills, straight-forward clean-up that very competently carves out all the stuff that most people complain about, and his work with the Fett is impressive.

Back
Top Bottom