• Most new users don't bother reading our rules. Here's the one that is ignored almost immediately upon signup: DO NOT ASK FOR FANEDIT LINKS PUBLICLY. First, read the FAQ. Seriously. What you want is there. You can also send a message to the editor. If that doesn't work THEN post in the Trade & Request forum. Anywhere else and it will be deleted and an infraction will be issued.
  • If this is your first time here please read our FAQ and Rules pages. They have some useful information that will get us all off on the right foot, especially our Own the Source rule. If you do not understand any of these rules send a private message to one of our staff for further details.
  • Please read our Rules & Guidelines

Star Wars Episode VII: The Ford Awakens

Zarius

Faneditor
Reaction score
Trophy Points
FORD-AWAKENS.jpg

Announcing a very special Star Wars: Force Awakens fanedit. What if poor Harrison Ford was denied yet another chance at going out in a blaze of glory?

That's right, I've worked out a way of having Han live throughout the entire movie, and he accompanies Rey on her search for Luke at the end.

Other changes so far include

-Leia sensing the Starkiller's attack on the republic
-R2 awakens when BB8 first finds him
-No lightsaber duel with Kylo, Rei, or Finn.
-Planets Daquar and Tokondana are now the same world
-Han and Chewie's explosives bring down the sheilds (special credit to @"Last Impressions"  for this idea)

Samples are coming. Advise and suggestions are welcome.

Current timeline

-First 47 minutes are straight up regular Force Awakens. Changes occur when the falcon escapes the hijackers
-Falcon arrives at Daquar, Finn meets Poe, all references to Rey being captured removed
-R2 awakens, the map to Luke is completed
-Leia and Han argue, Rey finds Luke's lightsaber and has her vision, this triggers her awakening, Snoke informs Kylo of this, Snoke then learns the location of the Resistance base.
-The Resistance put together their strategy regarding Starkiller base.
-The First Order attacks Daquar, Finn is given the lightsaber
-Footage of Tokunda battle now represents the Daquar invasion
-Starkiller destroys Republic planets, Rey grieves with eia.
-Han, Finn, Rey and Chewie journey to Starkiller, infiltrate the base
-Han and Chewie plant bombs, Han confronts Kylo, Chewie saves Han and sets off the explosives that bring down the shields and the Osscelator.
-Resistance destroy Starkiller base
-Han says goodbye to Leia, tells Rey and Finn all about why Luke dissapeared
-Footage of the Falcon arriving at Tokodana used for the Falcon arriving at Luke's island
-Ending the same as Force Awakens

Jrzag42

Faneditor
Reaction score
Trophy Points
This sounds like a really neat alternate universe take on Force Awakens! I look forward to it!

wilhelm scream

Faneditor
Reaction score
Trophy Points
Hopefully this can finally make the Force Aweakens watchable for me

Zarius

Faneditor
Reaction score
Trophy Points
First sample, from the version that will have the lightsaber duel

-Edited out "Han Solo Can't Save You This Time" and emphasis on Kylo's wound seeing as there's no scene where Chewie blasts him (you could argue he's still wounded in the explosions set off by Han and Chewie though, since they're still in there)

password: ford.

Zarius

Faneditor
Reaction score
Trophy Points
Meeting Han

password: ford

DigModiFicaTion

DᴉმWoqᴉԷᴉcɑꓕᴉou
Staff member
Faneditor
Reaction score
Trophy Points
I'd probably cut the face shot of Kylo as it jumps super fast to Rey. I'm trying to wrap my head around how you'll accomplish thisdrastic change and would love to see some more previews. Good luck!

Zarius

Faneditor
Reaction score
Trophy Points
DigModiFicaTion said:
I'd probably cut the face shot of Kylo as it jumps super fast to Rey

This any better?

A bonus sample: R2's early awakening

DigModiFicaTion

DᴉმWoqᴉԷᴉcɑꓕᴉou
Staff member
Faneditor
Reaction score
Trophy Points
Visually that flowed better for me. I'd even go so far as to just remove the "we're not done yet dialogue" and have Rey react and Kylo force push her. Are these rendered in 4:3?

Do you have a rough narrative map for your changes? The second R2 waking up early scene has everyone present, but would massively mess with Poe and Rey's narrative.

Zarius

Faneditor
Reaction score
Trophy Points
Edit: Yes, it's in letterbox presentation. I realised what you meant.

Yes, I have a rough outline. Like I said in the OP, a workprint was prepared last night, though I've already rejiggered a lot of it.

Zarius

Faneditor
Reaction score
Trophy Points
Oh...snap.

I just realised where I messed up with the R2 awakening scene.

God I'm dumb.

But...in some way I think I might have lucked into something pretty creative...I'll do some rejiggering and see if my hunch is correct...if not, consider that a junked idea.

Zarius

Faneditor
Reaction score
Trophy Points
What if we made Daquar and Tokodana the same planet?

Zarius

Faneditor
Reaction score
Trophy Points
Alright, I've been able to have some real fun with sorting out my earlier continuity error, and I've updated the OP to include my new ideas.

I'm undecided on whether or not Han should confront Kylo, but the good news is I prepared for the scenario and know how to get him out of his fatal predicament...it's not exactly "ideal" but you have to work what what's in front of you

In the meantime, here's the sample I have from a current version of the edit without the Han and Kylo confrontation.

TV's Frink

You Catch On Pretty Quick
Staff member
Donor
Faneditor
Reaction score
Trophy Points
Lol great title.

wilhelm scream

Faneditor
Reaction score
Trophy Points
Zarius said:
Alright, I've been able to have some real fun with sorting out my earlier continuity error, and I've updated the OP to include my new ideas.

I'm undecided on whether or not Han should confront Kylo, but the good news is I prepared for the scenario and know how to get him out of his fatal predicament...it's not exactly "ideal" but you have to work what what's in front of you

In the meantime, here's the sample I have from a current version of the edit without the Han and Kylo confrontation.

Works pretty well, makes me wonder if they would have done this in the actual movie if Harrison Ford had wanted to do more than 1 movie.

Masirimso17

Cover Artist
Reaction score
Trophy Points
wilhelm scream said:
Works pretty well, makes me wonder if they would have done this in the actual movie if Harrison Ford had wanted to do more than 1 movie.

His role would probably be a lot different. His whole character arc was backwards manufactured from his death. For example, not going straight to the Resistance Base and instead going to Maz Kanata is part of his arc. So when you cut his death you can do very creative stuff with this material like how Zarius suggested combining Takodana and D'Qar.

Zarius

Faneditor
Reaction score
Trophy Points
Worked out a way to keep Rey finding the lightsaber...by combining the planets, a lot of plotlines make more sense. Wouldn't Leia be the one to keep Luke's possessions around?

Also, what if they don't have to use Phasma to bring down the shields?

(still need to iron out how to keep Rey in this..not unless I do something different and have her remain on D'Qar while this is going on)

Last Impressions

Donor
Faneditor
Reaction score
Trophy Points
When i was trying to work the plot out from the first Force Awakens trailers we got back a few years ago i always thought the best introduction for Han & Chewie would be for them to be on the Falcon, in Jakku, and Finn and Rey stowaway on the ship as the Storm troopers and Tie fighters hunt them down. 
I can picture Han seeing the tie fighters in the distance flying at them...he tries to boot up the falcon, to make a getaway, and it cuts out per usual - the falcon finally gets going and they are off.. Han just thinks its the Empire/First order hunting him down as revenge (he has been on the run for 30 years - the Empire/FO are hunting Luke, Chewie, Leia, Han and they are deemed war criminals / terrorists). This explains why the falcon ride and escape from the tie fighters, on Jakku, is more believable as Chewie and Han have the skills to out run them. One thing i hate about the whole sequel trilogy is the fact that Rey can just do anything without explanation. Han & Chewie out run the ties and the whole time they discuss how the FO tracked them down after being so careful for years...this is of course explained when Finn , Rey and BB8 find there way out of the cargo hold and introduce themselves and Han and Chewie find out that the FO were after Finn and Rey not Han & Chewie as they first thought...they are then reluctantly thrown back into the Star Wars story after keeping their noses clean for so many years.....Lucasfilm should have made me the director LOL.

Is there a way you could have Rey move objects with the force on the crashed Star Destroyer when she is scavenging? Now that would go someway in explaining why she is so powerful later on in the movie. Later in the movie we could listen to some dialogue between Leia and Rey regarding how she always had a power to move heavy items - a power she didn't understand - a power that she kept hidden growing up in isolation in the Jakku desert - a power that was never explained to her as she never came across any other force sensitive people living a lone and in isolation. At least this would go someway in explaining the sudden power she gained half way through the movie......also why isnt Rey using Jedi mind tricks on Unker Plutt when negotiating portions?

Im happy to view a workprint if you need guinea pigs - i haven't watched TFA in a while.

Zarius

Faneditor
Reaction score
Trophy Points
@"Last Impressions",  Rey's barely earned character advancement is one of the reasons my current workprint doesn't even have her tag along with Han and Finn, this is almost entirely Ford's film. There's still some lightsaber action (how can you have SW without it?), but it comes from Finn fighting the Stormtroopers during the First Order's attack on the now combined Takodana/D'Qur. Rey never uses it outside of receiving her vision. 

Come at me feminists! :D

I should be updating the OP with a timeline shortly.

Thanks for offering to view the workprint

Currently the edit clocks in at 1 hr, 16 minutes.

Zarius

Faneditor
Reaction score
Trophy Points
OP updated with current workprint timeline

Zarius

Faneditor
Reaction score
Trophy Points
I've begun work on a second, alternative version of the edit, which leaves the first 47 minutes intact (meaning they still meet Han and Chewie on the ship with the beasties) and in this version, Rey does accompany Han and Finn to Starkiller Base, but does not engage in a duel with Kylo. It's coming together so well I might just make my definitive one and scrap the work-print I put together earlier, not unless some of you are interested in the version where Rey stays on D'quar and Han attempts to confront Kylo (the two are interupted by Chewie randomly deciding to attack Stromtroopers, which highly amused people at Originaltrilogy.com)

In this second version I'm making, Kylo really doesn't do a heck of a lot and he does not confront Han, and I even decided not to reveal his connection to Han, though Ben's downfall is referenced.

Top Bottom