• Most new users don't bother reading our rules. Here's the one that is ignored almost immediately upon signup: DO NOT ASK FOR FANEDIT LINKS PUBLICLY. First, read the FAQ. Seriously. What you want is there. You can also send a message to the editor. If that doesn't work THEN post in the Trade & Request forum. Anywhere else and it will be deleted and an infraction will be issued.
  • If this is your first time here please read our FAQ and Rules pages. They have some useful information that will get us all off on the right foot, especially our Own the Source rule. If you do not understand any of these rules send a private message to one of our staff for further details.
  • Please read our Rules & Guidelines

Star Wars - Episode One: Child of the Force

FatherMerrin

Faneditor
Cover Artist
Reaction score
Trophy Points
Hi, as I've currently got no plans to make an Xvid version of this film, I'd be grateful if the people who have watched this film could share their views so those who are unsure whether to download it or not can make an informed decision.

boon23

Faneditor
Cover Artist
Reaction score
Trophy Points
by Father Merrin
What is it about? This is an improved version of Father Merrin's first SW TPM edit with lots of changes and great image and audio quality. It corrects a lot of issues of the original SW TPM. Yours truly Episode 1.

original film name: The Phantom Menace
film studio name: Lucasart
Date Original Film Was Released: (1999)
Date Re-Edit Was Released: Nov 2007
Original Runtime: 133 minutes
Balance Of The Force Runtime: 121 minutes
New Runtime: 122 minutes
Amount of time Cut/Added: 12 minutes
Cuts removed/added/extended:

Cuts Removed (Too many to list, but here's a rough guide)
REPUBLIC CRUISER COCKPIT
REPUBLIC CRUISER PILOTS
HOLOGRAM OF RUNE & NUTE STANDING ON TANK
JAR JAR NABOO SPACECRAFT
JUNK SHOP (RE-WORKED)
ANAKIN AT HOME (RE-WORKED)
QUI-GON & SHMI TALK (RE-WORKED)
ANAKIN'S FRIENDS
QUI-GON & OBI-WAN MIDICHLORIAN TALK
MAIN HANGER (RE-WORKED)
PROBE
RACE COMMENTATORS COMPLETEY REMOVED!!! & THE WHOLE RACE RE-WORKED
ANAKIN & THREEPIO
TEMPLE OF THE JEDI (RE-WORKED)
GUNGAN BATTLE (JAR JAR RE-WORKED)
ANAKIN STARFIGHTER (RE-WORKED)
MAIN HANGER COURTYARD (RE-WORKED)
ENDING (RE-WORKED)Cuts added:

The Waterfall Sequence (RE-WORKED)
Extended Podrace Lap Two (RE-WORKED)
Anakin's Scuffle with Greedo

Fanedit Details
2.35:1 NTSC Anamorphic
English/French Audio Stereo
English Subtitles

DVD-Features:
None

Conceptual improvements/advancements of edit over original edit:
Improve opening Crawl Kindly created for me by TAOLAR , transition wipes, widescreen error, sound & tighten up original edit.

Time needed for the re-edit
planning: 1 days
editing: 4 days
sound editing: 4 days
trailer: none
DVD layout and features: Menu with Subtitle option
persons involved: Father Merrin

Maybe downloadable from Fanedit.info

ab5tract

Reaction score
Trophy Points
This is a mirror of my review posted to fanedit.org:

"Merrin, you deserve a great deal of credit for effectively solving the conundrum of removing Jar Jar's voice while retaining the audio mix. Your novel approach of utilizing Spanish and French audio tracks finally allows a watchable fanedit with a subtitled Jar Jar. And the Trade Federation too! Now the only racial stereotyped alien left is Watto with his Semitic accent (who unfortunately would be (probably) impossible to give the treatment to since it wouldn't fit at all with his Hutt-ese). Someone should try one day, but for now this edit stands as the only available version of the TPM that successfully removes the racist accents of the aliens who have them. I really hope Adywan will consider this approach when a gets to Episode I and I wonder if there are any dubs in yet other languages that could be used in order to create more robust and distinct languages for the TF fish people and the Gungans. This would also help alleviate the problems that knowing Spanish and/or French might bring to the current treatment. You did a Great job with the subtitles. The TF now seems threatening instead of absurd, and Jar Jar's new personality is much improved. I laughed out loud when he tells Qui-gon "Hey I saved your life. You owe me one!" when they first meet. Jar Jar? Funny? Yes! Crap, even Tolerable is a good start, but Likable — unbelievable.

As for the edits, yes there are some choices I would have made differently, but the major issues have all been taken care of, and in light of the Gigantic Leap Forward your alternative language technique represents, I declare this to be my personal Best TPM Edit.

Stars: 9/10

1 star removed for the video quality and since the pacing could still stand some tightening. Note: FatherMerrin has literally put money on the table, offered to anyone who is willing to fix the situation. Also, the video quality isn't terrible if you are watching on an older TV. However, if you have a flat screen with progressive scan the degraded quality is quite noticeable. Downgrade your components for a better picture ;) "

lewis886

Faneditor
Reaction score
Trophy Points
nice review :)
i really need to watch this one.

Top Bottom