• Most new users don't bother reading our rules. Here's the one that is ignored almost immediately upon signup: DO NOT ASK FOR FANEDIT LINKS PUBLICLY. First, read the FAQ. Seriously. What you want is there. You can also send a message to the editor. If that doesn't work THEN post in the Trade & Request forum. Anywhere else and it will be deleted and an infraction will be issued.
  • If this is your first time here please read our FAQ and Rules pages. They have some useful information that will get us all off on the right foot, especially our Own the Source rule. If you do not understand any of these rules send a private message to one of our staff for further details.
  • Please read our Rules & Guidelines

Vote now in wave 1 of the FEOTM Reboot!

Star Wars - Episode IX: The Rise of Skywalker (SPOILERS WITHIN)

I kinda hate Star Wars fans too. It's much simpler to keep my opinions to myself, maybe talk to close friends about them. I need to stop seeking out other people's Star Wars opinions online, and I need to stop posting my own opinions knowing that there will be arguments. But I won't stop.

What I don't get is the people who hated TFA, TLJ, or both (which is fine) but have to keep telling everyone how much they hate new Star Wars, just because another one got a teaser.

Andreas said:
Sigh. I give up on Star Wars as of right now, and hope for the love of good that Benioff and Weiss can do miracles with their upcoming film.

J.J. Abrams re-did A New Hope to critical acclaim because we got fanservice from high and low and kept to a safe formula. Rian Johnson tried to be too bald and ruined storylines and mysteries presented in TFA. And now, these asshats are trying to win back the fanbase by re-introducing Palpatine - completely undermining ROTJ's ending and even the new trilogy itself, making it clear it can not (and never have) stood on its own legs. Just failure from left to right. We're all just taught and expected to like these movies now to the point that we fool ourselfs that we still want them. I think, after this one, it will be clear in a year or two how weak this trilogy really was and is ("but man, you haven't even seen Rise of Palpatine yet" - one film doesn't make a good trilogy).

Working at a cinema, TFA was cool. TLJ was... weird, but refreshing - but overall a disappointment as you let it sink in. Rise of Disappointment will fly by me, and I'm happy to watch it all end for free. Maybe they can pull of a decent movie at best.

Well, even though I agree with how it undermines the RotJ ending and am skeptical, like @"Moe_Syzlak" said, we don't know in which capacity Palpatine is coming back. Maybe it's a Sith Holocron. Just maybe the laugh, and Palpatine's post-mortem figurative presence in the movie, symbolizes how his dark deeds and reign of terror still affects the galaxy and our heroes psychologically, along with the seduction of the Dark Side. That is what I think "No one's ever really gone" means. Not literal. Even if it is truly himself, maybe they developed it in a way that fits brilliantly into the saga? You never know.

Again, it all comes down to execution.

Masirimso17 said:
Andreas said:
Sigh. I give up on Star Wars as of right now, and hope for the love of good that Benioff and Weiss can do miracles with their upcoming film.

J.J. Abrams re-did A New Hope to critical acclaim because we got fanservice from high and low and kept to a safe formula. Rian Johnson tried to be too bald and ruined storylines and mysteries presented in TFA. And now, these asshats are trying to win back the fanbase by re-introducing Palpatine - completely undermining ROTJ's ending and even the new trilogy itself, making it clear it can not (and never have) stood on its own legs. Just failure from left to right. We're all just taught and expected to like these movies now to the point that we fool ourselfs that we still want them. I think, after this one, it will be clear in a year or two how weak this trilogy really was and is ("but man, you haven't even seen Rise of Palpatine yet" - one film doesn't make a good trilogy).

Working at a cinema, TFA was cool. TLJ was... weird, but refreshing - but overall a disappointment as you let it sink in. Rise of Disappointment will fly by me, and I'm happy to watch it all end for free. Maybe they can pull of a decent movie at best.

Well, even though I agree with how it undermines the RotJ ending and am skeptical, like @"Moe_Syzlak" said, we don't know in which capacity Palpatine is coming back. Maybe it's a Sith Holocron. Just maybe the laugh, and Palpatine's post-mortem figurative presence in the movie, symbolizes how his dark deeds and reign of terror still affects the galaxy and our heroes psychologically, along with the seduction of the Dark Side. That is what I think "No one's ever really gone" means. Not literal. Even if it is truly himself, maybe they developed it in a way that fits brilliantly into the saga? You never know.

Again, it all comes down to execution.

As long as the story is good and it preserves the integrity of the SAGA, then its fine. Not every SW movie was fantastic, there are two that
i didn't like much...but at least they kept the spirit of SW...I don't mind if Palpy comes back because I love his character and to see Ian again would be great.  I think reacting to a teaser trailer is too premature.

You have to see the film to judge it.....or all the Mike Zeroh "Leaks"....

Also, how would it undermine RotJ?  I mean Anakin has still redeemed himself..regardless if Palpatine is alive or dead...it was Darth Vadar's act of compassion to save his son that redeemed him...irregardless if Palpatine lived or died.

Possessive love and greed lead to Anakins downfall...compassion for his son lead to his redemption.

if Palpatine has transferred his essence, or is a recording...who cares....as long as its not done stupidly..lol

theforce said:
if Palpatine has transferred his essence, or is a recording...who cares....as long as its not done stupidly..lol

"Hello, you've reached the crashed wreckage of the 2nd Death Star.  Unfortunately, I am not available to answer the phone, as I was thrown in a shaft and incinerated.  Please leave your name and home planet at the beep."

TVs Frink said:
theforce said:

"Hello, you've reached the crashed wreckage of the 2nd Death Star.  Unfortunately, I am not available to answer the phone, as I was thrown in a shaft and incinerated.  Please leave your name and home planet at the beep."

That's hilarious lol

theforce said:
Also, how would it undermine RotJ?  I mean Anakin has still redeemed himself..regardless if Palpatine is alive or dead...it was Darth Vadar's act of compassion to save his son that redeemed him...irregardless if Palpatine lived or died.

Possessive love and greed lead to Anakins downfall...compassion for his son lead to his redemption.

Very true, I agree. I didn’t mean to say it ruins the redemption, I just thought it might lessen the impact it, this act of kindness killing the evil Emperor, saving the galaxy and finally bringing balance to the Force. On the one hand, it seems like on first glance saving his som and redeeming himself stays intact.

But on the other hand, the effects of the sacrifice still remains, it just means this importance has shifted into the Sequel Trilogy, which is not necessarily a bad thing. Luke witnessing the redemption of his father, his failure to bring back the flawed old ways, his own redemption, and becoming symbol of hope, allows for the next generation to fully understand how balance can be established.

And it all ties back to Anakin. Born for the purpose of evil but chosen for the purpose of good, Anakin managed to reset the galaxy to get rid of the flawed ways of the Jedi and the evil of the Sith. With corruption and evil truly gone, his sacrifice allowed for the next generations to accept destiny, go with the will of the Force, learn from mistakes, hold on to hope and build a better tomorrow.

Maybe that’s why Palpatine is coming back: the pull to the corruption and evil of the past. The characters’ final test.

TVs Frink said:
theforce said:

Lol sounds like a Robot Chicken sketch :D

I'll just leave this here. :D 
57313565_2364303490258353_646107637032681472_n_ff608e6639734ea3aaa1f976addafb77ec623d66.jpg

Ok, I have now the official french title of Episode 9. 
French title of Episode 8 was "Les Derniers Jedi", so Jedi was plural. It was a sort of hint.
What can we learn about the official french title of EP9?
Not much... BUT as "rise" is a very vague word that can be translated in many ways it is interesting that they chose the words " l'ascencion de Skywalker" meaning, well, The Ascension of Skywalker" of course... There's not only a religious flavor to that word but Skywalker here is singular (it's not "des Skywalker" but "de Skywalker") so it does not mean that there can't be an order called "Skywalker" in the movie but that title, to me, looks like is not about that but more about a particular person and not even about the family as a whole (it would also have been "des Skywalker").

So I watched a movie last night that I thought was this movie. It was full of terrible parody-esque dialogue. 3P0 got a new suit that looked like trooper armor, Ren made drones similar to the Black Hole drones, Poe and Rey were eating during a space battle, Luke was alive and dicing up the drones with quippy lines, everyone morphed into a robot chicken stop motion human/doll hybrid and the frame rate went whack.......I then said to myself, "this is the worst Star Wars movie ever...." then I woke up with the same thoughts and promptly forced myself back to sleep to see the rest of the movie lol  :D

In reflecting, I tried to watch X-MEN Apocolypse last night so I blame that movie for the bad narrative of my dream  :D

Well I know it can't get worse than what 
 I saw lin my dream last night so I'll still go watch this one  :)

DigModiFicaTion said:
It's a miracle of few that Frink hasn't come after you yet. He must be on holiday. We shall not have anything but positivty about this new trilogy! You hear me, fool?! The Emperor returning is a blessing! A blessing, I tell you!

Andreas said:
DigModiFicaTion said:
It's a miracle of few that Frink hasn't come after you yet. He must be on holiday. We shall not have anything but positivty about this new trilogy! You hear me, fool?! The Emperor returning is a blessing! A blessing, I tell you!

Actually what Frink expressed is that it's weird that people who claim to have no interest in the ST because reasons feel the need to come into this thread and telling everybody why.

I agree, it is weird. And now here you are, continuing to make posts about a Star Wars movie that you claimed to have given up on.

NEWS FLASH - You do care, clearly. You continue to make posts in this Ep 9 thread long after telling everybody you gave up on Ep 9. You even said you're going to see it in the cinema where you work. So, to recap you are continuing to post in the Ep 9 thread, though with zero to say about Ep 9, you're "defending" criticism of Ep 9 and you're going to see the movie when it comes out. It certainly sounds like you have your issues with Star Wars (which is fine and valid) but the idea that you've given up on Star Wars is frankly, fucking laughable.

Between this and the Marvel movies, half the posts are by people who absolutely need everybody to know that they are not super into the movies. Okay great, none of us care. You can all have 10 internet cool points if it means you'll just feel smugly superior by yourself without sharing that with us. We all get it, if we like a movie, we're uncritical stans, but you are definitely not.

Yes, that.

Beyond that, if you have concerns about moderation, contact a staff member.  Otherwise knock it off.

thecuddlyninja said:
Actually what Frink expressed is that it's weird that people who claim to have no interest in the ST because reasons feel the need to come into this thread and telling everybody why.

I agree, it is weird. And now here you are, continuing to make posts about a Star Wars movie that you claimed to have given up on.

Last I checked the name of this thread was "Star Wars - Episode IX: The Rise of Skywalker (SPOILERS WITHIN)" and not "Star Wars - Episode IX: The Rise of Skywalker (FANCLUB WITHIN)" so it's reasonable to assume that both praise and criticism is allowed here. 

thecuddlyninja said:
You continue to make posts in this Ep 9 thread long after telling everybody you gave up on Ep 9. You even said you're going to see it in the cinema where you work. So, to recap you are continuing to post in the Ep 9 thread, though with zero to say about Ep 9, you're "defending" criticism of Ep 9 and you're going to see the movie when it comes out. It certainly sounds like you have your issues with Star Wars (which is fine and valid) but the idea that you've given up on Star Wars is frankly, fucking laughable.

Between this and the Marvel movies, half the posts are by people who absolutely need everybody to know that they are not super into the movies. Okay great, none of us care. 

That's a lot of pent-up emotions for somebody who "doesn't care" about his opinion of Star Wars. You do realize that you're doing the same thing in your post, you're criticizing him for, right?

thecuddlyninja said:
NEWS FLASH - You do care, clearly. 

;)

So, does anyone want to talk about Episode 9 or what?

DonKamillo said:
Last I checked the name of this thread was "Star Wars - Episode IX: The Rise of Skywalker (SPOILERS WITHIN)" and not "Star Wars - Episode IX: The Rise of Skywalker (FANCLUB WITHIN)" so it's reasonable to assume that both praise and criticism is allowed here. 

You checked correctly, I'm glad to see that your reading comprehension is good. Can you show me the praise or criticism in this: "It's a miracle of few that Frink hasn't come after you yet. He must be on holiday. We shall not have anything but positivty about this new trilogy! You hear me, fool?! The Emperor returning is a blessing! A blessing, I tell you!"

DonKamillo said:
That's a lot of pent-up emotions for somebody who "doesn't care" about his opinion of Star Wars. You do realize that you're doing the same thing in your post, you're criticizing him for, right?

Do you actually understand the difference between posting multiple posts saying you don't care about a movie and saying that I don't care about his opinion on TVs Frink but am annoyed at having to read it? You do get it but you're just a troll, right? I don't think you can be that dense but it's the internet so I guess you never know.

thecuddlyninja said:
NEWS FLASH - You do care, clearly. 

;)
[/quote]

Yes, we both clearly care about Star Wars Episode 9. I'm glad to see that despite your best efforts to ignore it, you did in fact get the point of my post.

addiesin said:
So, does anyone want to talk about Episode 9 or what?

What do you guys think about the rumors, that...

...Han Solo will be returning to Episode IX? Personally I would be delighted if J.J. can actually pull it off and somehow get Luke, Leia and Han together in one scene before their final send off...

I'm not allowed to discuss Episode IX in a negative light without contacting a staff member? And I'm being disregarded of all negative opinion because it's... common opinion? That's... unfortunate, for a community fan forum.

I care about Star Wars - it's obviously why I'm here. Either way, I shall allow this double moral without further ado, and keep it positive. This way I won't have to be shoved into a box for speaking my mind in the THREAD FOR STAR WARS EPISODE IX  :p

I'm seriously looking forward for Kylo Ren's character development, as he is stealing the solo show of this new trilogy. I do not hope for a redemption at the end (too predictable) and TLJ kind of went all against that, so him being the New Emperor-baddie and The Emperor being more of a red herring would be a cool, new edge to a very predictable formula.

Here's for Kylo Ren!

thecuddlyninja said:

You do care, clearly. You continue to make posts in this Ep 9 (...)

Between this and the Marvel movies, half the posts are by people who absolutely need everybody to know that they are not super into the movies. Okay great, none of us care. You can all have 10 internet cool points if it means you'll just feel smugly superior by yourself without sharing that with us. We all get it, if we like a movie, we're uncritical stans, but you are definitely not.
I don't want to go off-topic anymore after this, but why so hostile? You seem to put me in a box where all the SW trolls are coming from. I just said that I've given up on the future Star Wars as of now because of their direction. That doesn't mean I don't care. It just means I don't have my hopes up for Episode IX, and I expressed why.

I'm not looking for any cool points. And calling my statements "fucking laughable" says more about you than it does anything I've ever said. I think you should choose your battles in life with more care, and not jump on someone who has for the first time in months - in my post from a few days ago - uttered any opinion about the new trilogy.

I've meant no disrespect. I only expressed my opinion. Unlike you, who seem to have a clear agenda to bring me down from a high horse I was never on with a great degree of hostile defending. Shame on you.

Back
Top Bottom