• Most new users don't bother reading our rules. Here's the one that is ignored almost immediately upon signup: DO NOT ASK FOR FANEDIT LINKS PUBLICLY. First, read the FAQ. Seriously. What you want is there. You can also send a message to the editor. If that doesn't work THEN post in the Trade & Request forum. Anywhere else and it will be deleted and an infraction will be issued.
  • If this is your first time here please read our FAQ and Rules pages. They have some useful information that will get us all off on the right foot, especially our Own the Source rule. If you do not understand any of these rules send a private message to one of our staff for further details.
  • Please read our Rules & Guidelines

Star Wars - Episode IX: The Rise of Skywalker (SPOILERS WITHIN)

Gaith

Faneditor
Reaction score
Trophy Points
Dear (Self-Proclaimed) Jedi Knight Luke Skywalker, 

If, after the second Death Star is destroyed, a large chunk of it, including the Emperor's throne room, somehow survives, and is easily accessible to boot, maybe you should take a look around to see if there are any important artifacts or bits of intel just sitting about? Imagine how dumb you'd feel if you later roped General Calrissian into a fruitless quest to find a map to a Sith homeworld that turned out to be just a few lightsaber slashes from a private chamber of Palpatine's you already knew existed, and had yourself been in. I bet you'd feel like a real a**hole! Wouldn't want that; best to be on the safe side, and take a few hours to check. 

Hugs,
Gaith

:p

matrixgrindhouse

Reaction score
Trophy Points
Who is to say that that the Alliance didn't do a good search?  I imagine that the Wayfinder was placed there at some point in the 30 year period after the fact.

Gaith

Faneditor
Reaction score
Trophy Points
^ What? I don't imagine that at all. By who? Why?

Moe_Syzlak

Reaction score
Trophy Points
Siliconmaster said:
wilhelm scream said:
And to make it even lazier, it's what happened to their son Jacen Solo in Star Wars Legends (during the Legacy of the Force series). And even then, at least they had 2 other children were did not fall to the dark side (Jaina and Anakin Solo).

Not only that, but Legacy of the Force was (in my opinion) the aforementioned crashing and burning of the EU as it realized it had to tell additional character arcs in order to keep up what NJO had started. So what if we retold Anakin's fall, but better?

Spoiler alert: It was not better.

And then they chose that book series to take inspiration from.

And then picked Dark Empire to follow it up with. At this rate I half expect to see an adaptation of Darksaber next, with the Hutts flying a giant Death Star laser pointer around.

Gaith said:
^ What? I don't imagine that at all. By who? Why?

By someone for reasons.

Gaith

Faneditor
Reaction score
Trophy Points
Here's a thought: what if, instead of being a simple map, the Sith wayfinder only reacted to Dark Side energy? So, Rey would have to dabble in the Dark Side to get it to reveal its secrets. She could thus have cautiously but deliberately dipped into the Dark Side to find and fight Kylo Ren, because what better target for Dark Side aggression, becoming increasingly violent and morally iffy along the way. But she couldn't stop, because then there'd be no way to find Exogol, and confront the Emperor in time to stop his eeeevil plans.

... Nah, that'd be too interesting; let's just have a search for a dagger which will allow them to search for a simple map, that sounds good. :p

TV's Frink

You Catch On Pretty Quick
Staff member
Donor
Faneditor
Reaction score
Trophy Points
I feel like if the OT had come out in the past six years it would have been ripped to shreds.

TMBTM

Faneditor
Reaction score
Trophy Points
Nic said:
TMBTM said:
Moe_Syzlak said:
I mean giving the Wookiee a medal is kind of a hollow gesture when we still have droids—who have shown sentience, ability to feel pain and emotion—still kept in indentured servitude. Come on Maz, you’re better than that!

Side note:
Maz is not giving Chewie "a medal". She's giving him Han Solo's medal that Leia was holding when she died.
So, sure, the hardcore fans all say "Chewie finally gets a medal!" but it's not like this medal is some kind of a reward or something. It's more of a legacy thing.

I never got ANY indication that's what was going on whatsoever.

Leia holds Han's medal in a shot of the movie (the medal from episode 4).
She died with this medal in her hand.
Later on Maz gave the exact same medal to Chewie.

Elementary, my dear Adso. ;)

x480

I'm the first to say that this movie is going too fast to tell everything it wants to tell though...
But I did like that medal scene because I thought it was smartly done.
At least it worked for me.
But yeah, for someone who was checking his watch and missed the 5 seconds shot of Leia with the medal... I can understand that the scene with Chewie could be a WTF moment.

TomH1138

Reaction score
Trophy Points
Yeah, I missed the medal thing in the theater, too. More than one person has pointed it out to me now, though, so I cede my earlier point. Good explanation, TMBTM!

MusicEd921

Donor
Reaction score
Trophy Points
Still doesn't make up for the fact that Chewie didn't receive one in the first place.....

Have we noticed that every time Solo ditches his vest for a jacket he gets an almost or definitive death sentence?

(Empire and Force Awakens)

Nic

Reaction score
Trophy Points
musiced921 said:
Have we noticed that every time Solo ditches his vest for a jacket he gets an almost or definitive death sentence?

(Empire and Force Awakens)

We need a photoshop of AtoC Obi-Wan handing Han his jacket saying "this weapon is your life" or something of that nature.

Gaith

Faneditor
Reaction score
Trophy Points
Say what one likes about Palps returning, this ending, as animated, sure seems anticlimactic...

Moe_Syzlak

Reaction score
Trophy Points
I thought there was some EU big baddie that Treverrow was planning to include? I personally like the idea of closing the saga on a more personal note. If you need to have a big space battle too, so be it. But the best, most impactful moments for me in all of Star Wars are personal character moments. The Throne Room in RotJ didn’t work because of Palpatine (who was a pretty one dimensional character before the prequels); it worked because of the character interactions between Luke and Vader, the characters we cared about. The characters that mattered in the ST were Rey and Ben. That’s where the story should’ve ended.

DigModiFicaTion

DᴉმWoqᴉԷᴉcɑꓕᴉou
Staff member
Faneditor
Reaction score
Trophy Points
I'm watching Hal's Ascendant edit and I can't help but think the original story development for this movie involved JJ having the ending he wanted and then just worked backwards to create a plot that would allow him to get there. The major problem I have with this movie is that it's too much, too fast, and that JJ chose to telegraph the plot through convenient exposition and visuals that become tiring and lead the viewer on like a little golden book. This is one of the main issues I have with the prequels as well, but I have to admit that the prequels did a better job.....wow never thought I'd say that.....I definitely didn't like TLJ, but I have to admit that Johnson had better story telling than what we got in TFA and TRoS. JJ's storylines and execution have always felt more like high quality TV shows that play out like video games rather than big budget films to me. This movie is no exception.

Gaith

Faneditor
Reaction score
Trophy Points
I've seen/heard a lot of commentary stating that Rey burying Luke and Leia's lightsabers at the Lars homestead makes little sense, because Leia never went there and Luke felt no attachment to it. Fair enough. So, let's fix it, shall we?

EXT. NABOO GARDEN - EVENING

We fade in on the FUNERAL TEMPLE where Qui-Gon's body was once burned, and then pan down to an adjoining garden, where Rey scoops handfuls of soil over Luke and Leia's lightsabers.

She looks up, into a beautiful sunset, and FORCE GHOSTS of Luke and Leia appear, nodding gratefully before fading away. Rey SMILES.

REY
You can rest now, Masters Skywalker.​

The music SWELLS. We think we're about to circle in on the credits, but suddenly a familiar voice breaks through the score:

VOICE (OFF-SCREEN)
Yes, indeedsa. Meesa thinks Lady Padme wouldsa
also be maxi happy with mostsa special goodbye.​

Rey to her side and smiles again at the elderly Gungan, his wife, and their three children.

REY
Thank you, Minister Binks. (beat) Are you ready, Lak-Lak?​

The eldest child, a girl, bounds up to Rey. She's wearing Jedi robes, and, as she speaks, turns her head to show her Padawan ponytail.

LAK-LAK
Oh, yes-sa, most definitely! Meesa very proud to be very first
apprentice in Master Reysa Skywalker's newsa Jedi Academy.​

Rey SMILES again.

REY
Then, let's begin!​

CIRCLE WIPE TO CREDITS

Well, that was easy! Movie fixed! :p

Moe_Syzlak

Reaction score
Trophy Points
@"Gaith" Lol. To @"DigModiFicaTion"’s point. I think the Lars Homestead was there because Abrams wanted to mirror the Binary Sunset scene and he he just made stuff up to get there, logic be damned. Someone here once said that Abrams just threw every Star Wars shower thought he ever had up on screen. I think that’s pretty accurate. He had a collection of scenes he wanted to see and he stitched it together like Frankenstein’s monster. This is made even worse by having to write around the footage they had of Carrie Fisher. Good guys win is the only reason for this movie at all. I think if you could figure out a way to get there simply extending TLJ to include the Rey/Ben battle on the Death Star wreckage would be best. No Force healing, no redemption for Ben, no Emperor.

Gaith

Faneditor
Reaction score
Trophy Points
I got extremely bored at work this past week while doing a largely menial and passive task. Typing on my phone was one of the few potential distractions, so I decided to praise a dead horse, and came up with the following. If you don't like it, or find it tiresome and unnecessary, just remember that I was doubtless even more bored writing it than you are reading it! :p Anyhow, onto the...

Top 5 reasons TRoS is the best sequel trilogy episode

Bonus: Driver gives his best performance
Many were unimpressed with the plotting behind Ben Solo's absurdly predictable redemption and equally inevitable self-sacrifice. Indeed, it seems most online commentators wanted him to remain and die a toxic cishet white male - and, sure, given who was the American president for most of the trilogy, that's fair. But TRoS provided Driver with what was objectively his biggest ST character progression, and his performance matched the challenge.

5. Luke is Luke / the heroes are celebrated
Using stray bits of Carrie Fisher footage to cobble together a creepy and artificial performance was a mistake, but at least it was done in service of what Rian Johnson's Luke said couldn't be done - bringing Ben Solo back to the light. In other words, after two movies in which our OT heroes were broken down and degraded, TRoS is the only one to portray them in a respecting, even celebratory way. Ghost Luke feels like Luke again, and Lando gets to survive. Hell, it's the only ST film in which Luke, Leia, and Han speak!

4. It's got a halfway decent baddie in Palps
Granted, resurrecting Palpatine out of nowhere was as dumb as the lightspeed skipping sequence, but MacDiarmid nonetheless gave the trilogy its only satisfying villain. Snoke was a one-dimensional nothing, and Kylo was always too poorly developed to be an adequate saga-closing enemy on his own.

3. It explained why Ben Solo went bad... sort of
Why did Ben Solo become a school shooter? His fall to the Dark Side is the precipitating event of the ST, and the question of whether he can be redeemed is the central dramatic fulcrum of all three flicks. (The prospect of redeeming Anakin Skywalker, on the other hand, isn't even on the table until halfway through the OT's third entry.) Therefore, if the audience is going to have as any understanding of the character, they require some explanation for why Leia's only child went bad - and only TRoS offers one: turns out it was Palpatine "whispering in his ear" all along.

Hacky, reductive, and dramatically unsatisfying? Sure, but at least it's something, whereas TFA and TLJ gave us nothing, in "he had too much Vader in him" and "Luke sensed he was almost gone, and then an ill-considered confrontation pushed him over the edge," respectively. Given Ben Solo's parentage, a redemption arc was pretty much preordained from the start, but only TRoS bothered to provide any reason for why said redemption was necessary in the first place.

2. It's the only ST flick to unite its trio
The best aspects of the ST are surface level: the beautiful imagery, lavish and tactile production design, and the charismatic cast. Not only does TLJ make the colossal blunder of keeping its main trio of Ridley, Isaac and Boyega almost entirely separate, Rey and Poe don't even meet for the first time until over four hours of screen time have elapsed! The trio's adventures in TRoS may be convoluted and nonsensical, but they're the only ones we got, which make them the best by default. What's more, the three charismatic actors have unsurprisingly great chemistry, and watching them play off of each other is a blast.

1. It's the end of the ST
The ST was a chaotically produced mess that recycled the structure and countless plot points of the OT to shortsighted, money-printing ends. Walking out of TFA and TLJ, I dreaded having to revisit this debacle of a story, but after seeing TRoS, I experienced a pleasant sensation of relief. Even if some or all of these characters return someday, this volume of the saga is mercifully, definitely over. And surely that's worthy of playing John Williams' legendary fanfare over the end credits for!

hothstation

Reaction score
Trophy Points
I got extremely bored at work this past week while doing a largely menial and passive task. Typing on my phone was one of the few potential distractions, so I decided to praise a dead horse, and came up with the following. If you don't like it, or find it tiresome and unnecessary, just remember that I was doubtless even more bored writing it than you are reading it! :p Anyhow, onto the...

I appreciate you sharing this.

Top Bottom