• Most new users don't bother reading our rules. Here's the one that is ignored almost immediately upon signup: DO NOT ASK FOR FANEDIT LINKS PUBLICLY. First, read the FAQ. Seriously. What you want is there. You can also send a message to the editor. If that doesn't work THEN post in the Trade & Request forum. Anywhere else and it will be deleted and an infraction will be issued.
  • If this is your first time here please read our FAQ and Rules pages. They have some useful information that will get us all off on the right foot, especially our Own the Source rule. If you do not understand any of these rules send a private message to one of our staff for further details.
  • Please read our Rules & Guidelines

Star Wars: Episode IX - The Rise Of Skywalker: Ascendant

Barabba

Reaction score
Trophy Points
Hello HAL9000, would it be possible to have Vader's TIE instead of the Imperial Shuttle on Exegol?

Hal9000

Faneditor
Reaction score
Trophy Points
Yes, it would be possible and the shot exists, courtesy of poppasketti.
However, with debate over on the forums, the shuttle was decided upon instead.

IMHO, it fits better. Vader arrives on the DSII in a shuttle, and it makes more sense there’d be such shuttles here and there to find one intact. Plus, we see one use hyperspace onscreen, even if we know Vader’s TIE can too from reference material.

Barabba

Reaction score
Trophy Points
More logical, sure, but the Vader TIE gives more memberberries with its inclusion and juxtaposition with Luke's X-Wing, that both legacies are here to scrap with the Emperor.

That he's here to finish what his grandfather started, but not with a creepy head, something cool like the X1 Advanced.

Well, disappointing, but good job on the edit.

EDIT: Couldn't Ben just teleport his TIE fighter to Exegol to go save Rey?

hothstation

Reaction score
Trophy Points
Hal9000 said:
Yes, it would be possible and the shot exists, courtesy of poppasketti.
However, with debate over on the forums, the shuttle was decided upon instead.

IMHO, it fits better. Vader arrives on the DSII in a shuttle, and it makes more sense there’d be such shuttles here and there to find one intact. Plus, we see one use hyperspace onscreen, even if we know Vader’s TIE can too from reference material.

I left you a review for this some time ago, but I want to thank you for all of your hard work on this. Ascendant truly saved the trilogy for me and I am extremely grateful.

Hal9000

Faneditor
Reaction score
Trophy Points
As am I to those who not only made it possible but put in most of the real work.

Like I said, the Vader TIE shot exists and is available in my Google Drive, if anyone at all would like to do a quick edit to replace that shot.

Hal9000

Faneditor
Reaction score
Trophy Points
You know what? Vote here on what craft Kylo should take to Exegol, and I’ll go with the winner.

Options:

Imperial shuttle. It makes logical sense, is seen to use hyperspace before onscreen, and is much more ‘believable’ to find one that would work amid the wreckage (similar to the original TIE in the original film).

Vader’s TIE. Symbolic/poetic value. One of a kind craft seems unlikely to be found and usable after presumably crashing into the second Death Star from the Executor.

Voting ends 2/13.

http://www.polljunkie.com/poll/obmrkd/shuttle-or-vaderx2019s-tie

Preview of options (both provided by poppasketti):

Imperial Shuttle: https://drive.google.com/file/d/1X7Sz7m42fUCBJCH4ZfAoxA0SFFdq5DCb/view?usp=drivesdk

Vader’s TIE: https://drive.google.com/file/d/1z-rbc0nY8BZlYalsJK3QIBMljN9qHWTi/view?usp=drivesdk

Barabba

Reaction score
Trophy Points
Hal9000 said:
Vader’s TIE. Symbolic/poetic value. One of a kind craft seems unlikely to be found and usable after presumably crashing into the second Death Star from the Executor.

If we're talking about what could be found from something that exploded into a million pieces, then not much from the second Death Star. And through the Force, even the most unlikely can be probable.

EDIT: I wonder if that's going to be edited in RotJ fanedits, to not have the second Death Star completely explode? As is, the second Death Star doesn't have a crash site for the Executor on it.

Hal9000

Faneditor
Reaction score
Trophy Points
The four versions should appear in the usual places throughout the day as they finish encoding and uploading. Forgive me for making this post and announcement before they are all available, but I wanted people to be aware of them to potentially get the jump on them in time to watch at Christmas if desired. (A little antsy after juuuuust missing the goal of 12/20, which was the film’s two-year anniversary.)

krausfadr

Donor
Faneditor
Reaction score
Trophy Points
Congrats on the updated release Hal. I hope to give Ascendant a watch by tomorrow. When I first heard myself as one of the KoR voices in someones youtube vlog about fanedits with clips from Ascendant-- I almost shit my pants.

inlucent

Faneditor
Reaction score
Trophy Points
Wow, so many contributors! Looking forward to checking this out.

Hal9000

Faneditor
Reaction score
Trophy Points
Just made available an alternate version of ’The Rise of Skywalker - Ascendant’ in which Rey’s family connection to Palpatine is removed.

This version features subtitles, though does not feature a commentary track or alternate language dubs.

In the editor’s opinion, this version does not hold up as seamlessly as the default version of ‘Ascendant,’ although it feels compelling enough to be finished and made available alongside it. Please refer to the documentation for Ascendant for full details and credit to contributors.

Here are the changes for this alternate ‘Rey Nobody’ version, as they differ from the regular version of Ascendant:

- The film’s title in the opening crawl uses the font used in the prequels and TLJ, rather than the one used in TFA and TROS, as a cheeky nod to following after TLJ’s establishment of ‘Rey Nobody’
- The original placement of the ‘Force essence transfer’ exposition from Palpatine is moved back to late in the film, in order to maintain a logic to Kylo Ren’s actions in this version - Removed dialogue about Rey’s mysterious identify in the opening Exegol sequence
- Rey’s parents are removed from her vision while training, replaced with hints at her fear of inner darkness as established in TFA and TLJ
- Removed dialogue that establishes Rey has familiarity with Ochi’s ship
- When Rey lashes out with Force lightning, it is now yellow both to distance herself from Palpatine (in movie parlance; I realize we’ve seen Count Dooku use it as well) and to tie into embracing what she feared as illustrated by her yellow lightsaber at the end of the film
- Restructured and switched up dialogue throughout the duel between Rey and Kylo Ren on board the Star Destroyer, moving a few lines from an earlier scene (work largely completed by Spence)
- Restructured and switched up dialogue during the hangar scene to remove Rey as a Palpatine and replace it with fear that she will take the Sith throne (work largely completed by Spence) - Removed Rey reflecting on the deaths of her parents (work largely completed by Spence)
- Restructured the scenes surrounding the Ach-To sequence to work around the lack of a dramatic punch about Rey and Exegol - Removed dialogue about Rey being a Palpatine from her conversation with Luke
- Removed various snippets of dialogue from Palpatine during the fim’s climax that relate to their shared lineage

Hal9000

Faneditor
Reaction score
Trophy Points
I was on a podcast!

User speakhard has been putting out a podcast called Trash Compactor, and asked me to talk with him a while back about fan edits. Here’s the link if you’d like to hear me talk even more about Ascendant and other associated things with him:

https://www.trashcompod.com/i-made-some-special-modifications-myself-fan-edits-with-hal-9000/

I’ve been listening to the show since, and plan to continue. It’s a series of conversations that were right in my wheelhouse, and likely many of yours also.

Bored at 3:00AM

Reaction score
Trophy Points
I was on a podcast!

User speakhard has been putting out a podcast called Trash Compactor, and asked me to talk with him a while back about fan edits. Here’s the link if you’d like to hear me talk even more about Ascendant and other associated things with him:

https://www.trashcompod.com/i-made-some-special-modifications-myself-fan-edits-with-hal-9000/

I’ve been listening to the show since, and plan to continue. It’s a series of conversations that were right in my wheelhouse, and likely many of yours also.
Congratulations, man! Looking forward to listening to it

hothstation

Reaction score
Trophy Points
I was on a podcast!

Congratulations... I will surely listen to this, as Ascendant is a masterpiece edit.

hothstation

Reaction score
Trophy Points
I listened to your interview yesterday, @Hal9000, and I enjoyed it immensely. Thanks for taking the time to share your story with us!

@speakhard Thank you as well for producing the great interview.

Koregan

Faneditor
Reaction score
Trophy Points
Hello there !
Congratulations for this tremendous work, you made me accept TROS as an entertaining and pretty fun ride, especially with your "Nobody" edit ! The theatrical version was such a disappointment after having loved TLJ, i became very bitter about the Star Wars universe for a while after watching it. Thank you !!

Top Bottom