• Most new users don't bother reading our rules. Here's the one that is ignored almost immediately upon signup: DO NOT ASK FOR FANEDIT LINKS PUBLICLY. First, read the FAQ. Seriously. What you want is there. You can also send a message to the editor. If that doesn't work THEN post in the Trade & Request forum. Anywhere else and it will be deleted and an infraction will be issued.
  • If this is your first time here please read our FAQ and Rules pages. They have some useful information that will get us all off on the right foot, especially our Own the Source rule. If you do not understand any of these rules send a private message to one of our staff for further details.
  • Please read our Rules & Guidelines

Star Wars Episode II: Path to the Darkside - The Diamond Cut

Diamond Wan

Faneditor
Reaction score
Trophy Points
An Edit by Diamond Wan

Original film name Star Wars: Episode II - Attack of the Clones

Film studio name Lucasfilm

Film release date: 2002

Original runtime: 142 minutes

Fanedit release: date August 2010

New runtime: 126 minutes

Amount of time: cut 16 minutes

Anamorphic 16:9 NTSC DVD Dolby Digital 5.1

My intention was to darken the tone of Episode II to bring it more in line with the tone of Empire Strikes Back using Adigitalmans version of the film as the basis. Lucas ruined the intention of many dramatic scenes by injecting silly, unnecessary humor into them. These ave been removed along with many poorly written lines and acting moments which would usually be trimmed in the editing room before a films release.

I accomplished it on a PC using DVD Decryptor, and Womble MPEG Vdeo Wizard.

STANKPAC

Faneditor
Reaction score
Trophy Points
126 min runtime?! :-x Way to long in my opinion. Not even enough cut out. Needs to be closer to 100 mins. I'll see if my feelings change once I see the cutlist.

L8wrtr

Faneditor
Reaction score
Trophy Points
STANKPAC said:
126 min runtime?! :-x Way to long in my opinion. Not even enough cut out. Needs to be closer to 100 mins. I'll see if my feelings change once I see the cutlist.

Hi Stank, on a personal note I'd recommend a more positive approach to comments about an edit of which you've not yet seen and have very little to go on. Unlike Episode I, Episode II has several worthwhile deleted scenes which can be mined in creative ways to alter the story. This by itself can add time back into the edit, and if used creatively with scenes that are often removed from an E2 edit, may create a new approach not seen before. By and large, I find that run-time alone is not a wise way to judge the potential merit of an edit.

Personally, I'm very curious to see what Diamond Wan has crafted here.

:)

STANKPAC

Faneditor
Reaction score
Trophy Points
Personally just stating my opinion, but if I sounded negative then I apologize. Saying I can't pass judgement on an edit based on runtime is strange to me that's all, considering different takes on this particular movie have gotten it pretty darn close to a respectable 100 mins. without sacrificing story or continuity for that matter. My initial comment of why I thought 126mins. is too long was just that it seems it's going to have way to much stuff left in, that really needs to be taken out. I am not dissing the edit based on a technical level, far from it, because I haven't seen it yet and would gladly give it a spin. I'll guess I will wait patiently for the cut-list to show up and then I will decide if I want to watch it. Thanks again L8twrtr for the comment and I'll try to be a little more careful next time.

Diamond Wan

Faneditor
Reaction score
Trophy Points
To address the run time Stankpac, yes more could have been cut from the film. My approach was to create a film that still contains a style that George Lucas would have used when he could still make movies. I noticed some fan edits have deleted the entire Obi Wan search for Kamino - and while that is fine for some edits, that was a story thread of Lucas I left in. Lucas has a style that he uses for his films and I hope I have kept that in this edit. Like in Empire Strikes Back, with Luke and Han separated, they each have their own story threads. Obi Wans detective work / Anakin and Padmes love affair are the two major threads in Episode II during most of the movie. Is Obi Wans thread necessary for the overall plot of the trilogy? No. But like the Zam chase sequence, when done right, it can be entertaining.
There are some deleted scenes re-integrated into the film - namely the initial Senate scene (trimmed down and re-worked a little), the Droid Anaylsis Scene, Padmes Family scene, and it does use the Obi/Mace Platform deleted scene as opposed to the Obi/Yoda/Mace scene. I will post more details soon about the cuts made in this edit.

Diamond Wan

Faneditor
Reaction score
Trophy Points
I also want to put out a Thank you to ADigitalman - this edit is based off of his Edit. I hope he approves of it - I have given him full credit for his work on the DVD. So if you are a fan of his edit, you will find this one contains all of his original edits. I have also cut some of the deleted scenes he re-integrated (Padrmes bedroom , Padme and Anakin before Dooku, Trial scene). And beyond that there were a great many more edits and trims made to scenes - more details forthcoming. But just wanted to mention his original work, as I thought it was excellent (obviously).

STANKPAC

Faneditor
Reaction score
Trophy Points
Diamond Wan said:
To address the run time Stankpac, yes more could have been cut from the film. My approach was to create a film that still contains a style that George Lucas would have used when he could still make movies. I noticed some fan edits have deleted the entire Obi Wan search for Kamino - and while that is fine for some edits, that was a story thread of Lucas I left in. Lucas has a style that he uses for his films and I hope I have kept that in this edit. Like in Empire Strikes Back, with Luke and Han separated, they each have their own story threads. Obi Wans detective work / Anakin and Padmes love affair are the two major threads in Episode II during most of the movie. Is Obi Wans thread necessary for the overall plot of the trilogy? No. But like the Zam chase sequence, when done right, it can be entertaining.
There are some deleted scenes re-integrated into the film - namely the initial Senate scene (trimmed down and re-worked a little), the Droid Anaylsis Scene, Padmes Family scene, and it does use the Obi/Mace Platform deleted scene as opposed to the Obi/Yoda/Mace scene. I will post more details soon about the cuts made in this edit.

Thanks for the clarification and sorry again if it seemed I was passing judgment on your edit before even watching it! :)

Diamond Wan

Faneditor
Reaction score
Trophy Points
Besides the edits and additions Adigitalman made in his version , the Diamond cut also has:
1. Trims to make Captain Typho a more serious character.
2. Removal of Corde's unnecessary lines.
3. Utilization of a few deleted scenes: the initial Senate scene (trimmed down and re-worked a little), the Droid Anaylsis Scene, Padmes Family scene, and use of the Obi/Mace Platform deleted scene as opposed to the Obi/Yoda/Mace scene.
4. Jar Jar cut to a minimum.
5. Yoda bad humor cut as well as "warm feelings" to bring his character to the serious Jedi Master he truly is (most of his humor in ESB was a ruse to test Luke).
6. Removed some unneeded subtitles and reworded others. (Did Chewbacca ever need subtitles?)
7. I could never figure out why a bounty hunter would hire another bounty hunter, so in this edit Zam Wessel is no longer hired by Jango Fett - they are both equals and are working for the bounty of killing Amidala.
8. Many unnecessary Anakin faces and grimaces removed. And more whining excised.
9. The Zam Wessel speeder chase is considerably cut down. Horrible banter between Obi Wan and Anakin removed as it did not add anything further to their characterizations.
10. Enhanced the bar scene by removing "Death Sticks" (funny but works against the tone of the scene), Lucas' daughters featured shot is out (just horrible),and other edits.
11. Diner scene is in this edit but condensed. Most Dexter Jexter annoyances removed.
12. Removed many Boba Fett / Jango Fett "father son-isms" - it is now much more believable that Boba Fett grows to be the bounty hunter we know from ESB. It also makes Jango more bad ass as well.
13. The Obi Wan / Jango Fett asteroid battle is trimmed a bit with no more dead space.
14. The Council of Separatists scene has been reworked to remove the horrible CGI characters and their lines.
15. Death of Anakins mother is trimmed to remove awkward lines.
16. C3PO becoming a Battle Droid is all gone.
17. In this cut, R2 does have his rockets, but he cannot fully fly - they only have enough thrust to get him off the platform and brace his landing.
18. A few edits to further enhance the Anakin/Padme love story to make it more believable.
19. And more...

L8wrtr

Faneditor
Reaction score
Trophy Points
The Diamond Cut: APPROVED!

Normally I shy away from viewing movies that are on my 'To Do' list, but something about this made me curious, so finally after languishing in the Unapproved section is a review of Diamond's version of Attack of the Clones.

I should note that I have not seen the ADM fanedit on which this is based, so I cannot really say how this stands in comparison to it directly.

Audio
Overall the audio is decent. There are a few rough transitions during the destruction of the Queen's Royal Cruiser, but someone not as familiar with the sequence might not notice. A few transitions were perhaps a bit short/quick, but nothing jarring, and again if you're not someone with the movie memorized, not very noticeable. 8/10

Video
Video quality held up fine on a 52" Plasma. The opening crawl was a bit suttery, it kind of surged, but outside of that, the video looked as good as you can expect from a SL source. 8/10

Editing
A great job from a first-time editor. The edits were smooth with no flashframes, and he made good use of traditional Star Wars wipes. No plot holes, no inconsistency in shots or sequences, everything fits well and some nice touches, particularly in how he handled the QUEEN's cruiser approaching Coruscant.

Entertainment
The money question, is this worth watching? Yes. When compared against the original Attack of the Clones, this movie is a huge improvement. Based on Diamond's cut list, even though I have not seen ADM's version, I'm going to say that this is likely an improvement as well. Every thing that Diamond has done in addition to ADMs edit works and are things I'd want removed. The elimination of Corte's dialogue is a great idea, and Diamond works many more nice small changes throughout, and I enjoy the inclusion of the Senate scene, something I'd planned for my own edit. Which leads me to my overall evaluation. This is a very good edit, but for me it still doesn't go far enough. Attack of the Phantom, for all it's flaws was able to cut the Mel's Diner altogether, and for me that is a bench mark. That scene is horrific no matter what. Diamond does a fantastic job of c cutting it to the bone and making it tolerable. If you're going to keep it in, this is as good as it gets, but I still found myself wanting more gone.

Diamond has created an enjoyable version of Attack of the Clones, certainly a big improvement over the theatrical and worth a viewing if you're looking for something that cuts the fat, but keeps the fun.

Overall 8/10

So, congratulations Diamond, this fanedit is:

approved.png

TV's Frink

You Catch On Pretty Quick
Staff member
Donor
Faneditor
Reaction score
Trophy Points
L8wrtr said:
I should note that I have not seen the ADM fanedit on which this is based, so I cannot really say how this stands in comparison to it directly.

challenge-accepted-28639-1291781762-6.jpg

Also, it's not Corte, it's Cordé. :p

TV's Frink

Staff member
Donor
Faneditor
Reaction score
Trophy Points
jdownloader reports all files offline...

L8wrtr

Faneditor
Reaction score
Trophy Points
If we haven't heard from Diamond by tomorrow night I will rip, rar and re-up this tomorrow night.

L8wrtr

Faneditor
Reaction score
Trophy Points
I am in the process of uploading this edit to my MU account, it will be available by Tuesday morning.

TV's Frink

Staff member
Donor
Faneditor
Reaction score
Trophy Points
Thanks, I think. ;)

TV's Frink

Staff member
Donor
Faneditor
Reaction score
Trophy Points
Um, did you read the last few posts?

Peterson

Cover Artist
Reaction score
Trophy Points
Yes I did. For me is 8.48 PM Tuesday . So... what do you get? :|

TV's Frink

Staff member
Donor
Faneditor
Reaction score
Trophy Points
Peterson said:
Yes I did. For me is 8.48 PM Tuesday . So... what do you get? :|

funny-pictures-cat-has-no-patience.jpg

First off, L8wrtr is in the States, where it is still Tuesday morning (or at least, early afternoon). And second, even if it was 8:48 PM where he is, I think you can allow him a little leeway. Sometimes life is more important that a fanedit.

L8wrtr

Faneditor
Reaction score
Trophy Points
Because the movie has been uploaded to MU instead of RS where Diamond Wan first loaded them, a new DLC is required. It will be updated this evening. In the mean time if you need the links and don't know where to get'm, PM me and I'll see what I can do for ya :)

May the Force be thirsty with you my friends.

Top Bottom