• Most new users don't bother reading our rules. Here's the one that is ignored almost immediately upon signup: DO NOT ASK FOR FANEDIT LINKS PUBLICLY. First, read the FAQ. Seriously. What you want is there. You can also send a message to the editor. If that doesn't work THEN post in the Trade & Request forum. Anywhere else and it will be deleted and an infraction will be issued.
  • If this is your first time here please read our FAQ and Rules pages. They have some useful information that will get us all off on the right foot, especially our Own the Source rule. If you do not understand any of these rules send a private message to one of our staff for further details.
  • Please read our Rules & Guidelines

Star Wars Episode II - Army of the Republic

seciors

Faneditor
Reaction score
Trophy Points
I understand, I apologize for jumping on BR's review, which as you said was a positive one.

wabid

Reaction score
Trophy Points
seciors said:
Thanks for all the supporting comments everyone.

As for narrative choices, I am completely fine with people disagreeing with them. L8 and Q2 (and most other edits) have very different approaches to the PT than I do, and I understand it is a subjective matter regarding which of our approaches someone is going to "take to."

In my workprint review I gave a similar sentiment (basically Q2's was my go to copy and L8s was virtually identical.) I could tell seciors was curious as to why I didnt like his better, BUT I told him not to change it, because quite frankly there is NO NEED for three of the same exact edit. Seciors narrative is very different from the other two and in a way makes this experience like watching a different movie. Where Q2 uses the dart analysis scene, Seciors uses the diner scene. Even if Seciors choices may not match everyone's preference I love that he took a different direction with the movie and made something unique.

BladeRunner391

Reaction score
Trophy Points
wabid said:
In my workprint review I gave a similar sentiment (basically Q2's was my go to copy and L8s was virtually identical.) I could tell seciors was curious as to why I didnt like his better, BUT I told him not to change it, because quite frankly there is NO NEED for three of the same exact edit. Seciors narrative is very different from the other two and in a way makes this experience like watching a different movie. Where Q2 uses the dart analysis scene, Seciors uses the diner scene. Even if Seciors choices may not match everyone's preference I love that he took a different direction with the movie and made something unique.

I have to agree with you. The new opening, the removal of Darth Tyrannus and Sifo Dyas, Jango Fett escaping with Boba, are all very creative and unique to this edit. Seciors makes the story easier to follow, which I thought was impossible. I'd love to see what he will do with Revenge of the Sith.

seciors

Faneditor
Reaction score
Trophy Points
Bad news - the MP4 was removed from MF. :-(

I'm going to have to move to newsgroups. First I need to figure out how to create an NZB file on the mac. Does anyone happen to know? I'll also ask in the tech forum...

Nic

Reaction score
Trophy Points
Watched this two days ago, and I have to say, waiting a long time for this to come out...it's a shame to say that I'm feeling a tad mixed.

Let me start with what I really liked about the edit: the love story. The scenes were arranged very well, and you managed to get across the idea of Anikan and Padme having a "morning after" scene better than L8twrtr, and given how great The Republic Divided is, that's saying something. The only thing about it that bugged me was placing the funeral scene before the garage scene, because we see Padme in her white dress, then her blue dress, and the next time we see her in her white dress again, and it's something I can't get past. Also, if you ever think of making a version 2, I recommend watching Slumberland's episode 2 edit and how he makes the lake kiss look like it's taking place at sunset, as that would help with the "morning after" vibe I think you were going for. Also, loved how you removed "we've got to get to that hanger," really worked out well.

For Obi-Wan's story, I really don't abject to the diner scene, as I'm a fan of the 1950s vibe, and I can somewhat get behind keeping the Yoda/younglings scene as it comes off less as Obi-Wan being clueless and more about him confirming his suspicions. The Jango/Obi-Wan conversation is also welll done, being able to remove any mentions of Tyrannus and Sifo-Diyas. However, I really felt that the first fight they have should've been cut down like how the Phantom Editor and L8twrtr did. That way when we get to the space battle it doesn't feel like the movie's dragging, which I honestly thought it was sadly.

Now some stuff I really didn't like. I hated how much of a novice Anikan came across as in the movie. He loses his lightsaber, misses his turn while in the car, and then get's his lightsaber smashed. If he's so attuned to the force that he can levitate a ball and free Padme, he should've at least seen the lightsaber stuff coming. The Anikan/Palpatine scene was also really missed, as it plays nicely into episode 3. And finally, cutting out the Obi-Wan/Dooku. I know how it kinda makes the Jedi look stupid for not taking Dooku's word, but let's be honest, they had it coming. They wouldn't believe that Dooku would take a hit out on Padme, I can believe that they don't pay his warnings lip service. It's just that that scene shows Christopher Lee at his finest, and removing that scene, imo, nullifies any attempt to try and put focus on Dooku, because I really enjoyed you're restructured opening. Also, I'm not sure if it was the choices you made with this edit or because I really like L8's take, but I didn't enjoy Yoda's lightsaber duel as much as I did.

I'm sorry if I seem negative, when there were some things in this edit that I really loved and should be incorporated into other edits and I do recommend it to others, but some there was too much that rubbed me the wrong way.

TV's Frink

You Catch On Pretty Quick
Staff member
Donor
Faneditor
Reaction score
Trophy Points
+1 on Slumberland's night for day treatment of the kiss.

seciors

Faneditor
Reaction score
Trophy Points
Hi Nic,

Sorry you were let down by my edit. I know it is very different than L8/Q2s, and I think my PT won't really be complete storywise until my episode 3 comes out. That's what makes releasing this edit at this point in time hard. But nonetheless, I appreciate you giving it a chance and for your feedback!

I'd just like to give you some rationale behind some of my choices that bothered you.

The only thing about it that bugged me was placing the funeral scene before the garage scene, because we see Padme in her white dress, then her blue dress, and the next time we see her in her white dress again, and it's something I can't get past.

Sorry about that, but the narrative choice for me was just too strong to worry about padme repeating an outfit later on.

Also, if you ever think of making a version 2, I recommend watching Slumberland's episode 2 edit and how he makes the lake kiss look like it's taking place at sunset, as that would help with the "morning after" vibe I think you were going for.

I see that might be a nice touch, but it really isn't necessary IMO. I just don't think time of day really matters for the kiss. I think it is clear that they are sleeping together (to those old enough to get it) when Padme comes out on the balcony in her pajamas, after a scene where they kiss romantically. Plus, it isn't easily clear that this is THE morning after given Padme's line "you had another nightmare last night." It could be two days later, or something.

I hated how much of a novice Anikan came across as in the movie. He loses his lightsaber, misses his turn while in the car, and then get's his lightsaber smashed.

In my view, for episode 2, he IS still a novice and learning the ways of the force. Just as Luke in episode 5 has accomplished many abilities, he still is not a full Jedi. Other edits may decide to make anakin an accomplished Jedi in this episode, but my choice is not to.

If he's so attuned to the force that he can levitate a ball and free Padme, he should've at least seen the lightsaber stuff coming.

I respectfully disagree. It's all about control of ones feelings, as yoda tries to tell Luke again from episode 5. Yes anakin has certainly learned a lot, but he still is a padawan. He still makes mistakes based on not controlling his feelings. In episode 5, Luke can lift all kinds of things in the air, as well as use the force pull to retrieve his lost light saber early on during the duel with Vader. But we all know he (Luke) is not fully trained. Same with Anakin in episode 2, which to me is a strong parallel (almost equivalent IMO).

So this is an intentional choice on my part to show Anakin struggling with his powers; showing great promise but still making mistakes as a padawan. It makes his episode 3 abilities that much more a contrast in terms of his training, IMO. In Episode 2, he is considered a padawan. In Episode 3, he is a full Jedi. A real example of this is how in episode 2 Anakin attacks Dooku by himself, controlled by his own anger. Episode 3 shows explicitly how much he's changed since then.

The Anikan/Palpatine scene was also really missed, as it plays nicely into episode 3.

All I can say is this is a conscious decision on my part that Anakins fall has more to do with Anakin himself than Palpatine's influence. I have chosen to make episode 2 clearly about anakin and his emotional experiences involving padme and his mother. Palpatine and his influence begins in episode 3, in my interpretation of the PT. I know it's hard to see this as both L8 and Q2 have already completed their trilogies, and certainly have made a strong imprint on people's minds about how to interpret the PT and Anakin's fall, but hopefully you (and others) will keep an open mind about my choices in episode 2 once you see my episode 3. In the end though, I know I am editing for myself. :)

And finally, cutting out the Obi-Wan/Dooku. I know how it kinda makes the Jedi look stupid for not taking Dooku's word, but let's be honest, they had it coming. They wouldn't believe that Dooku would take a hit out on Padme, I can believe that they don't pay his warnings lip service.

Again, I must respectfully disagree. I have clearly established Dooku as the bad guy from the start in the audiences eyes, and obi then discovers and reports back to the council this very fact, so they also learn that Dooku is the bad guy and they were wrong to think otherwise. Why would they then believe anything dooku says? As the old saying goes, fool me once...

It's just that that scene shows Christopher Lee at his finest, and removing that scene, imo, nullifies any attempt to try and put focus on Dooku, because I really enjoyed you're restructured opening.

Wow, I'm surprised you feel so strongly about this. The Dooku scene you mention, while a nice one for the actor, intentionally confuses the audience as to Dooku's intentions, and that would go against my narrative. My goal is to leave it very much a mystery who "the" sith lord is, and this scene makes it completely obvious it is Palpatine...plus it makes the Jedi look like idiots (like I said, fool me once).

I don't believe it nullifies any attempt to put focus on Dooku as the villain, because I believe without the scene, my narrative is fully in tact and understandable regarding Dooku and his intentions. But again, I have no problem with you disagreeing with my choices.

I'm sorry if I seem negative, when there were some things in this edit that I really loved and should be incorporated into other edits and I do recommend it to others, but some there was too much that rubbed me the wrong way.

Fair enough. Everyone is entitled to his/her own opinion! My intention here was just to give you (and others) my own perspective on why I made the choices I made, and nothing more.

Thanks for watching and giving your detailed review/opinion Nic!

wabid

Reaction score
Trophy Points
Seciors, don't let bad reviews get you down sw2 is just a bad movie and likely can't be saved.

What you did with 1 was unique, very creative, and ended up making a really good movie. The theme just didn't translate as well to this movie. That's not your fault.

I liked your 1 edit so much I convinced q2 to release a second version of his, just so he could incorporate some of your ideas.

We are all excited for 3 and it's no biggie if we have to sit through 80 minutes of crap filler in the middle to enjoy your trilogy. Your cut is still better than the theatrical version. Then again, so are most diseases.

seciors

Faneditor
Reaction score
Trophy Points
Thanks wabid, I am truly not trying to convey that I am "down" -- I just wanted to explain the rationale behind my choices which are clearly unconventional compared to other edits (especially L8/Q2s) on the site.

I believe my choices in episode 2 will carry over into episode 3, as will my choices in episode 1. I really think it's all going to come together, and episode 2 will not just be something you'll have to "sit through."

Unfortunately, I'm still a ways off from completing episode 3.... ;-)

emanswfan

Reaction score
Trophy Points
I saw this a little while ago over at OT forums. If you ever did a version 2, this might be a better way to cut the yoda dooku battle, as it takes out all the uneeded jumps and stuff.

seciors

Faneditor
Reaction score
Trophy Points
That's a nice cut (at least visually, I can't do volume right now where I am). Truthfully I was never bothered by the jumping, only the grunting (which I removed). But if I ever did a version 2, I'd at least consider this approach. I'd also consider trimming the first Obi-Wan/Jango fight a bit more. All of this will probably push running time down to 85 minutes though... :p

seciors

Faneditor
Reaction score
Trophy Points
Hey everyone,

My DLC files are no longer valid. I've replaced them with NZB files. I've submitted them to the info site.Please don't ask me for links. You just need to wait for them to show up. I'll post here when I see them show up. Thanks for your patience.

Neglify

Reaction score
Trophy Points
Read The Rules and Using This Site, you can find them in the navigation bar above.

seciors

Faneditor
Reaction score
Trophy Points
FYI the NZB files are available. You can get them by following what Neglify said.

seciors

Faneditor
Reaction score
Trophy Points
[MENTION=16930]kane1138[/MENTION],

Thanks so much for your detailed review! I really appreciate it!

Yes, this edit is quite different than most edits of AOTC, in that I set out (as you accurately point out) to address two major issues:
(1) Make the plotline as simple and clear as possible. This entailed making it clear from the very first scene that Dooku was the bad guy, and the removal of all possible threads that might be confusing (such as Sifo-Dyas, and mention of Dooku's supposed Sith name of Tyrannus). We also get to see the other Sith, but his identity remains a mystery, maintaining the tension of the reveal until Episode III.
(2) Make the love story absolutely convincing. This is one thing at least most of the reviewers seem to agree I nailed, and I'm very happy about how this aspect worked out.

My final goal was to ensure I set the seeds for Anakin's eventual downfall in Episode III, by emphasizing the death of his mother, as well as the relationship he has built with Padme. Also, in my new version of ROTS, I add additional elements that support this goal as well.

As for the technical editing, I'm sure if/when I take another pass at this one I'll improve it, just as I've (hopefully) done with ROTS. In a Star Wars edit, when you cut out as much material as I have, it really is very hard to hide all the audio edit points, especially to anyone familiar with the movie, let alone a fellow fan editor! ;-)

Again, I'm really happy you enjoyed it, and again thank you so much for taking the time to review it! :)

PS - to everyone else, I found a new hosting site, so you can also get this edit for free via DLC file as well the still available NZB method. Check fanedit.info for the links if you are interested!

kane1138

Reaction score
Trophy Points
My pleasure. My ROTS:RE review is ready to go up as soon as it appears on the database :)

seciors

Faneditor
Reaction score
Trophy Points
kane1138 said:
My pleasure. My ROTS:RE review is ready to go up as soon as it appears on the database :)
Awesome! I'm in the process of re-rendering now, and may or may not make it in time for an August release (I still have a week left! ;-)). But the latest it should be is first week of September!

addiesin

Reaction score
Trophy Points
seciors said:
As for the technical editing, I'm sure if/when I take another pass at this one I'll improve it, just as I've (hopefully) done with ROTS. In a Star Wars edit, when you cut out as much material as I have, it really is very hard to hide all the audio edit points, especially to anyone familiar with the movie, let alone a fellow fan editor! ;-)

If you end up doing this, feel free to use that title "The Republic Attacks". I will not be using it for anything :p.
Also feel free not to. :p

Either way, you're FREE :-D

Top Bottom