• Most new users don't bother reading our rules. Here's the one that is ignored almost immediately upon signup: DO NOT ASK FOR FANEDIT LINKS PUBLICLY. First, read the FAQ. Seriously. What you want is there. You can also send a message to the editor. If that doesn't work THEN post in the Trade & Request forum. Anywhere else and it will be deleted and an infraction will be issued.
  • If this is your first time here please read our FAQ and Rules pages. They have some useful information that will get us all off on the right foot, especially our Own the Source rule. If you do not understand any of these rules send a private message to one of our staff for further details.
  • Please read our Rules & Guidelines

Star Wars Episode I: Shadow of the Sith by L8wrtr

elnino14

Reaction score
Trophy Points
I haven't been on here in a while but I got a chance to watch this and I have to talk about it. Just have to.

First let me set up the scene for you:
There's three of us taking this ride. Two of us have seen all of the films in their original forms. One of us has never seen a Star Wars film in their life. The original plan was to watch the original trilogy that's it. No fuss. Somewhere in the two weeks between watching episode 4 and 5, I read an article about what order is the best order to watch Star Wars. In that article I read an interesting perspective, you watch episode 4 and 5, and then watch episodes 1-3, before watching episode 6. That way episodes 1-3 acts a flashback for darth vader, there's some time to let the cliffhanger sink in from episode 5, you preserve all the reveals in episode 5 (including I AM YOUR FATHER) and you end on a happy conclusion in episode 6.

Here is the article for reference.
http://www.fanpop.com/clubs/star-wars/articles/17/title/best-viewing-order-star-wars-marathon

I thought this was a cool idea, I'm already having fun watching these movies with somebody who never watched them before and it's been at least 10 years since I've seen them myself. But there's no freaking way I'm watching the prequels in theatrical format, nope, not happening. So I do some research and lo and behold there's a dozen prequel edits. There were two that catched my interest the most Q2's and L8Wrtr's. Based off of the number of positive things I heard about L8Wrtr's that's the cut I went with (also accessibility was a factor). I was on the roll, after some convincing of the other Star Wars watchers (especially the one who had seen the prequels), we were on our way.

Coming to tonight, our first adventure into the prequel fanedits. And what an adventure it was. While the first time watcher only rated the film at about a 5 and a half to 6, he had no knowledge of how truly awful these films were. I thought it was tremendous how much better the film was. Seriously.

Technical Specs first:
Audio/Video Quality
Most of the audio video quality was superb, only one or two scenes where the video looked slightly grainy (I think it was the deleted scenes, which I didn't realize were deleted scenes). The audio quality was mostly excellent, I had my usual problem with the effects/soundtrack being way higher than the dialogue. 9/10

Video Editing/Audio Editing:
You would almost never have guessed that any changes were made. Some things come off slightly odd, narrative wise, but mostly it's all very well done. Totally digging the old school swipes and it made it feel consistent with the rest of the saga. 10/10

Narrative:
The story was way tighter and more importantly it mostly all made sense. It's very straightforward and I appreciated that very much. The politics are still politicky and need some focused concentration, but the gist of it is clear. The plan talked about by Padme before the climax lays out what should happen in the final act, but it goes by too fast that I had to reiterate it a couple of times to the rest of my crew watching with me. At times the movie seemed too fast paced for it's own good, but I don't know how you could have done it any better without leaving more crap in the movie.

Enjoyment:
WOW. I really enjoyed this movie. First of all, from the beginning, Shadow of the Sith is a badass title. The opening crawl is clear and concise, gets to the point of the movie right away without delving into too much politics.
Act 1:
The opening is a blast to watch with Qui-Gon and Obi Wan fighting their way out of the tough spot. Love that opening scene and it sets the pace masterfully. The scenes with the emperor pulling the strings makes it clear there's more at work here. Jar Jar is beautifully excised all his dumb stupid crap is gone, he looks slightly out of place just following around, but because he plays a role in the third act, it's impossible to excise him completely. The conversations are light and get to the point moving the plot along switfully. Act 1 is a blast and clearly has no problems.
Act 2:
It's in act 2 where the choppiness begins to take a toll as the whole movie feels like a chase picture. The Jedi's rush from the ambush to the Gungan City from which they rush to Naboo palace, which they rush away in an escape, which crash, which they rush to get back in the air, rush back to the senate, and rush back to Naboo. It starts to feel a little choppy, but really it's still worth it because the underlying problems are with the actors and the characters (especially Jake Lloyd and Natalie Portman who are both stiff as all hell). I think the dialgue and the chemistry between the two could have been sold better by more capable actors. Even "Are you an Angel" doesn't bother me nearly as much as the batshit crazy things the mother says and will allow her son to do. Nonetheless, she is probably overwhelmed by the situation for his birth and is thinking crazy shit about who he is altogether. Qui Gon and Palpatine shine pretty brightly in this picture, each one playing up their character. Qui Gon especially sets the stage for his kind old jedi act to utmost devotion to his belief in the child. Oh and thank goodness that Pod race is heavily cut, it feels much better playing out like a drag race near the end more than an endurance test. I wish you could have cut the rest of the racers all together really.

Act 3:
This is when the movie came together for me. I finally saw something that I never saw before thanks to this cut. And it's this: I love the dichotomy between Anakin and Luke in this move and Episode 4. The naive boy who leaves home with an elder stranger who he has just met, and more importantly that same boy saves the day, by making a shot when no other pilot could. For Luke, the force was a struggle, here it's Anakin uses it with such cavalier attitude. Nothing that good comes easy. Also reading the notes from L8wrtr makes this edit stronger, with nobody else saving the day, no decoy princess, no other crap. The situation is dire and it's saved by the boy that nobody believed in except for Qui Gon. Same with Kenobi and Luke, how much crap did Hans and Leia talk about before Luke jumped in that X-wing. Tons. 7/10

Some issues:
Now I understand a faneditor can't go back and reshoot scens and get rid of bad acting.. I understand that, but this movie is jumping from a 2 or a 3 to about a 7 and that's a big jump.

Nonetheless, the politicks sometimes gets a little unclear even if it is super streamlined, and the plan for the climax is really unclear with one scene to describe it. I definitely like the urgency of the whole situation especially on the escape from Tatooine but it does at times feel choppy. And as someone else pointed out, Anakin is told by Qui Gon to tell the ship to take off, but Obi Wan says the same thing a few minutes later. Also the reveal that Padme is the real princess and the princess is the double, is cool, but it's never used for any useful purpose. I understand it's necessary to cut to get the ending wanted here, and it's necessary to show for the Gungan alliance negotiation, but it just didn't fit right with no legitimate use for it.

In the end we had a great time watching this. And that's really what matters. Great job, and we're looking forward to the next two parts of your prequel trilogy for the next two weeks.

urko67

Reaction score
Trophy Points
I am new here and never even knew stuff like this existed. I found out about it on a star wars documentary, and came looking for episode 1 how can i see this?

njvc

Faneditor
Reaction score
Trophy Points
Shadow of the Sith BD25 has been uploaded to MEGA and submitted to .info. It should be available shortly. You may go about your business. Move along.

TV's Frink

You Catch On Pretty Quick
Staff member
Donor
Faneditor
Reaction score
Trophy Points
Did you read the rules and how to use this site?

theforce

Reaction score
Trophy Points
Hi L8wrtr,

I watched your edit. I really enjoyed it and it was a great cut. I like how you cut Anakin to be more heroic rather than dopy like Lucas did.

I don't have many comments about your edit because it was that good. My only comment is that in all of the star wars movies OT and PT, the films always ended with a musical score along with the final visuals. Although the way you ended EP 1 with Palpatine is awesome...its missing the musical score with a visual. I know there wasn't enough visuals to probably create one.

Also, I heard you commentary which is great too! In there you mentioned that you didn't show Padme getting rescued from the queen double. Maybe that cut scene could have been added after Anakin blew up the ship and the droid army disabled.

All in all, best edit I have seen!

tman418

Reaction score
Trophy Points
Dear L8wrtr,

I am so excited to see this! Where can I download this?!

Btw I have all of the Star Wars movies on Blu-ray and via the newly released digital copies!

ThrowgnCpr

awol
Staff member
Reaction score
Trophy Points
tman418 said:
Where can I download this?!
[MENTION=36961]tman418[/MENTION], if this is your first time here please read Using This Site. It's full of useful information that will get us all off on the right foot. This site has many rules in place to protect itself and its users. Should you ever need a reminder look no further: General Rules and Own the Source Rule. If you do not understand any of these rules send a private message to an admin for further details.

TV's Frink

You Catch On Pretty Quick
Staff member
Donor
Faneditor
Reaction score
Trophy Points
The AVCHD of this edit is once again available on MEGA via info.

L8wrtr

Faneditor
Reaction score
Trophy Points
The DVD5 as well as BD are now also available on mega via info ;)

Merry Christmas all, more to come!

XennialSWFan

Reaction score
Trophy Points
While searching for recommendations on a Watch Order of Star Wars I was pointed towards this Fan Edit.

The list of edits/intentions sound spectacular and makes me really want to see this version.

Lastly, while reviewing your listed edits I can honestly say I was surprised that 'Garden State' would need an edit but based on what was done with the Prequels and the description of 'Large's Ark' it has awoken my curiosity.

In short, thanks to L8wrtr for the great work on the Prequels.

VisseNekku

Reaction score
Trophy Points
This is fantastic work. Really impressed with how smooth these edits are.
I do wonder if there are any subtitle files floating around though, since following spoken dialog is quite difficult when English is not my first language. Especially if I were to watch these with fellow SW nerds.

theprion

Reaction score
Trophy Points
This is fantastic work. Really impressed with how smooth these edits are.
I do wonder if there are any subtitle files floating around though, since following spoken dialog is quite difficult when English is not my first language. Especially if I were to watch these with fellow SW nerds.
I have subbed Shadow of the Sith, in English and Brazilian Portuguese. If anyone else is interested, hit me up.

Also, @L8wrtr, I see you're back to these parts! So can we dream about a re-remaster to SotS? Now that there are improved sources and preservation projects around for TPM (and deleted scene upscales), it would make up for a serious upgrade to the edit!

L8wrtr

Faneditor
Reaction score
Trophy Points
I have subbed Shadow of the Sith, in English and Brazilian Portuguese. If anyone else is interested, hit me up.

Also, @L8wrtr, I see you're back to these parts! So can we dream about a re-remaster to SotS? Now that there are improved sources and preservation projects around for TPM (and deleted scene upscales), it would make up for a serious upgrade to the edit!
I don't want to make promises my body can't cash, but this is not an impossibility. I am out of date/touch with any updates that have been made on deleted scenes, so if people have done good work on those deleted scenes, that alone is enough to make me consider it. I must admit having seen the PT in 4k and then watching my BD edits stings a little, and Son of Jor-El is in serious need of re-mastering... so... maybe ;)

First things first however, I've started work on at least making my edits available again as I've heard most of them are offline at this point (I know for sure Hobbit is mia and so I'm in the middle of trying to make those available via torrent).

Dwight Fry

Faneditor
Reaction score
Trophy Points
This should happen. The L8 trilogy is still the gold standard for prequel edits for my tastes. As the great man would say, "I don't always watch the prequel trilogy. But when I do, I prefer L8wrtr's".

Top Bottom