• Most new users don't bother reading our rules. Here's the one that is ignored almost immediately upon signup: DO NOT ASK FOR FANEDIT LINKS PUBLICLY. First, read the FAQ. Seriously. What you want is there. You can also send a message to the editor. If that doesn't work THEN post in the Trade & Request forum. Anywhere else and it will be deleted and an infraction will be issued.
  • If this is your first time here please read our FAQ and Rules pages. They have some useful information that will get us all off on the right foot, especially our Own the Source rule. If you do not understand any of these rules send a private message to one of our staff for further details.
  • Please read our Rules & Guidelines

Star Wars Episode 4-6 Despecialized Editions by Harmy

njvc

Faneditor
Reaction score
Trophy Points
I've been working on a BD25 set for the amazing Despecialized edits. Each BD includes motion menus (utilising the original trailer/teaser for each film), a chapter index and special features.

Star Wars (v2.5)
- 720p, 5.1 surround
- 4 audio commentaries
- Making of the SW: DE
- Making of Star Wars doco (1977)
- Deleted Scenes

Empire (v.2)
- 720p, 5.1 Surround
- 3 audio commentaries
- Cast and crew interviews (1980)
- Deleted Scenes

Jedi (v.1)
- 720p, 5.1 Surround
- Making of Featurette
- Deleted Scenes

These are not officially sanctioned by Harmy, so will not be released officially unless he decrees it. But I would be happy to share them with any fe.org members if interested. Star Wars is ready, Empire and Jedi are under construction.

TM2YC

Take Me To Your Cinema
Staff member
Donor
Faneditor
Reaction score
Trophy Points
^ Sounds good, although if the ROTJ disc could include some commentaries that would be awesome.

TV's Frink

You Catch On Pretty Quick
Staff member
Donor
Faneditor
Reaction score
Trophy Points
I guess I gotta get a BD burner now...

njvc

Faneditor
Reaction score
Trophy Points
I've heard from Harmy, he's happy for these to be officially listed on IFDB under his name, pending his review. As for Return of the Jedi, i don't think he has released any commentaries yet, but i know he currently working on v2 so there will be a v2 of this BD release once that comes out which should include commentary tracks.

Alternatively I could rip them from the official sources but each one needs resyncing to the despecialized cut...

TM2YC

Take Me To Your Cinema
Staff member
Donor
Faneditor
Reaction score
Trophy Points
njvc said:
Alternatively I could rip them from the official sources but each one needs resyncing to the despecialized cut...

I'd rather have them semi-synced but included, than not have them. The GOUT and the DE versions of ROTJ don't have commentaries, which I really enjoy. So currently I have to watch the bl**dy SE DVD or BR image to get my fix, instead of the nice DE image.

njvc

Faneditor
Reaction score
Trophy Points
TM2YC said:
I'd rather have them semi-synced but included, than not have them. The GOUT and the DE versions of ROTJ don't have commentaries, which I really enjoy.

sounds good, I'll get a collection together. I'm thinking of expanding the special features on all 3 disks and perhaps including more audio options. The mkv releases have a startling number of language options... not sure if I'll include them all but now that Harmy has given the project his blessing, i guess including some non English options for our friends across the western pond would be of benefit.

njvc

Faneditor
Reaction score
Trophy Points
Before I was robbed and lost my laptop and all of my project files, I managed to build and upload the Star Wars Despecialized BD25. I've lost my work on Empire and Jedi, but will rebuild those from scratch once I get back on my feet in the coming weeks.

Here are the final specs on the Star Wars BD:

Motion menu (using the original teaser trailer)
Chapter index
Picture: 720p
Audio options:
1. 1977 5.1 surround mix
2. 1977 2.0 stereo mix
3. 1993 laserdisk commentary
4. 2004 dvd commentary
5. 2004 starwars.com commentary
6. 2011 bluray commentary
7. 2013 geekvolution podcast - fan commentary (recut to fit)
8. 2015 theatrical edition podcast - fan commentary

Special Features
- Making of the Despecialized edition (11 mins)
- Making of Star Wars 1977 Documentary (49 mins)
- Special Edition changes (25 mins)
- Deleted Scenes

If anyone is interested in a copy, feel free to send me a PM.

Kal-El

Reaction score
Trophy Points
That's terrible news, njvc!! Did you lose much work on ITW edits and such or did you manage to back everything up? How about personal stuff? Everything salvaged? Some people deserve to burn in hell :-(

roseofpain

Reaction score
Trophy Points
Since both the Despecialized & Revisited edits are the Definitive Versions for A New Hope, Harmy and adywan should get in touch and collaborate on a possible "Star Wars 2(or 3)-Disc Ultimate Edition" Blu-ray.

njvc

Faneditor
Reaction score
Trophy Points
In addition to the BD listed above, I'm making an additional/alternate disk for a couple of reasons:
1) Adobe Encore forced me to re-encode the video to make the BD in v1. It's a high quality re-encode, but to preserve Harmy's picture quality, v2 will not be re-encoded.
2) Encore limits the number of audio tracks to 8. v2 will include more commentaries and alternate audios, but no motion menus/special features.

Star Wars Despecialized BD25 v.2 specs:
Video: 720p (exact copy of Harmy's v2.5)
Audio Tracks:
1. 1977 5.1 surround mix
2. 1977 2.0 stereo mix
3. 1977 1.0 mono mix
4. 1985 Laserdisk Mix
5. 1993 Laserdisk Mix
3. 1993 laserdisk commentary
4. 2004 dvd commentary
5. 2004 starwars.com commentary
6. 2011 bluray commentary
7. 2013 geekvolution podcast - fan commentary (recut to fit)
8. 2014 The Ronan Empire podcast - fan commentary (recut to fit)
9. 2014 Geekfest Rants podcast - fan commentary (recut to fit)
10. 2014 Flyguy "Boring Conversation Anyway" Star Wars Toys podcast - fan commentary (recut to fit)
11. 2015 Theatrical Edition Fan Commentary
12. Rifftrax (MST3K) comedy commentary (recut to fit)
13. Red Letter Media - Mr Plinkett's comedy commentary (recut to fit)

For those with no capacity to play/burn BD's, I could potentially upload this as an MKV if preferred. As usual, PM me if interested in this one.

TM2YC

Take Me To Your Cinema
Staff member
Donor
Faneditor
Reaction score
Trophy Points
My Laptop's Blu-Ray drive has been unable to burn discs for quite a while, but I just purchased a new external drive from Amazn, pretty much just to burn this project off! :)

I popped the newly burned disc in my Blu-Ray player and I went straight into the menu to select the mono mix. Oh it's not there :-(. Nevermind. Loaded up the 70mm mix. Hmmm, is it my imagination, or the does the picture look lower quality than Harmy's mkv? :-?

Then I reopened this thread and read yesterday's post...

njvc said:
v2 will not be re-encoded.

3. 1977 1.0 mono mix

$_35.JPG

If it's not too late to suggest (Or to difficult to achieve), could you add pop-up menus? The ability to switch between audio streams without restarting the movie would be a godsend.

I intend to pass these copies onto my younger brother and nephew before TFA. As I want my nephew introduced to Star Wars the right way, and not via the special-editions that I know his father owns :-D. Thanks njvc!

njvc

Faneditor
Reaction score
Trophy Points
Unfortunately I can't make any changes as the workfiles were on my stolen laptop. Bummer. So it is what it is. But I'll be send you links to the BD v.2 once it's ready :)

TV's Frink

Staff member
Donor
Faneditor
Reaction score
Trophy Points
njvc said:
For those with no capacity to play/burn BD's, I could potentially upload this as an MKV if preferred.

Yes please!

TM2YC

Take Me To Your Cinema
Staff member
Donor
Faneditor
Reaction score
Trophy Points
njvc said:
I'll be send you links to the BD v.2 once it's ready :)

Daniel Palmer

Reaction score
Trophy Points
Praise to Harmy, all others involved, they have recreated the original Star Wars trilogy theatrical releases in high quality.
This is something I have been waiting for all my life! Thank you so much. If the Original Trilogy never is properly restored these versions will work.

However Disney still needs to properly restore and release the Original Star Wars Trilogy so there is a restored original film negative for historical purposes and for legal copies for everyone!

Daniel Palmer

Reaction score
Trophy Points
This is My Star Wars Story

I saw the Star Wars Trilogy on VHS when I was a child and I fell in love with films.

I saw a billboard saying that The Star Wars Trilogy was coming theaters in 1997 .
I was so excited but unfortunately I never saw them in the cinema.

I saw the Star Wars Special Edition on VHS. Back then when I saw the changes they didn't really bother me too much. I'd only seen the special editions a couple times. Back then the special editions were not available in better quality the the originals! Both only on VHS with no widescreen!

When the Star Wars DVDs came out I was so excited to see them
My biggest joy was to finally be able to view the films in a widescreen presentation.
My excitement went away when I realized that they were the special editions with even more changes. After a while the changes started to bug me.

In 2006 I was in a store and I saw the Star Wars magazine. Inside an article advertising the original Star Wars was coming to DVD. There were pictures of Han shooting first, the Emperor talking to Darth Vader and the Sarlacc pit with no beak.
I was so excited I ran out of the store just so happy I couldn't believe it.
I bought the Star Wars a New Hope unaltered DVD.

I discovered "this is not the DVD I was looking for!" I was so angry at Lucas and Lucasfilm and I just couldn't believe it. The DVD looked awful and most importantly non-anamorphic widescreen.

2011 Star Wars comes to blu-ray with HD picture and sound and it's still the special editions with even more changes!
Now Vader says No when the Emperor is torturing Luke! This was the worst change yet. Lucas had gone to far! This was the last straw, this was the worst change yet and made my decision for me to not buy the blu-ray!

Then Disney bought Star Wars and there was a new hope.
I was hoping they would restore and release the original films to blu-ray.

Now thanks to Harmy I don't have to wait any longer. He has given me what I have always wanted the Original Star Wars in high quality!

However Disney still needs to properly restore and release the Original Star Wars Trilogy so there is a restored original film negative for historical purposes and for legal copies for everyone!

addiesin

Reaction score
Trophy Points
Daniel Palmer said:
This is My Star Wars Story

Please stop posting with colored text. The site has a dark background and I've corrected 3 of your posts now with black colored text. It makes it extremely difficult to read.

Also, try to refrain from Double Posting. You can Edit and add to any post you've made in the past, and if you have no replies, this is better than responding to yourself, especially in the long run when someone is trying to read the thread.

For the sake of being thorough, please read the General Rules before posting again: http://www.fanedit.org/forums/misc.php?do=vsarules

TV's Frink

Staff member
Donor
Faneditor
Reaction score
Trophy Points
Also, this isn't the thread to make a blog post about your history with Star Wars.

Daniel Palmer

Reaction score
Trophy Points
addiesin said:
Please stop posting with colored text. The site has a dark background and I've corrected 3 of your posts now with black colored text. It makes it extremely difficult to read.

I apologize for posting black text I am very new to using this site and was unaware I needed to change the color of my text and keep my post to one long post.
I very much want to follow the rules. Considering how strict the rules are

Top Bottom