• Most new users don't bother reading our rules. Here's the one that is ignored almost immediately upon signup: DO NOT ASK FOR FANEDIT LINKS PUBLICLY. First, read the FAQ. Seriously. What you want is there. You can also send a message to the editor. If that doesn't work THEN post in the Trade & Request forum. Anywhere else and it will be deleted and an infraction will be issued.
  • If this is your first time here please read our FAQ and Rules pages. They have some useful information that will get us all off on the right foot, especially our Own the Source rule. If you do not understand any of these rules send a private message to one of our staff for further details.
  • Please read our Rules & Guidelines

Read BEFORE posting Trades & Request

Star Wars: Episode 1 - Balance of the Force (Magnoliafan)

I agree with most of what ID said here. Interesting ideas for sure. The execution could be a lot better. It has quite a bit of problems, mostly audio for me. The new languages are a fantastic idea but really don't come close to working, being clearly the non-english tracks played mostly backward. This causes strange drop offs at the ends (beginnings) of phrases.

Jar Jar is a bit more tolerable, but still far too many antics. I don't really agree with the Han Solo assessment. And having him swear? Just doesn't fit, IMO.

It was explained to me that this edit was made a few years ago and just now released officially here on FE. Some of the technical problems with this edit were more or less common to most fanedits at the time- so I have factored this in to consideration here. Still...

With so many good ideas, it would be great to see an improved version of this.

InfoDroid said:
Granted, the version I have is with the ADigitalMan subtitles, which makes a huge difference since I've read Magfan's are replete with grammatical errors and a few "groaner" lines. But I thought the whole concept of slavery and the divisions between the two Naboo races...and even the incorporation of the big light orb (seen at the end) into Jar-Jar's history was very inventive and handled really well.

someone fixed the subtitles? oh thank god for that, one of the bits i really couldnt stand from BotF was when one of the trade negotiators tells someone to kill their family or some such and the guy goes hmmpf and walks off. it really pulled me out of the movie as i kept thinking damn he really doesnt care for his wife and kids much.

are the subs available sans movie anywhere? i already have BotF and would rather not have to download again.

EDIT: no worries, just seen joes post on OT.

hey infodroid! could you rip ADM's (and any other) subs?

that would be a great addition to the AVI.

This edit is now available on Megashares via info.

Thanks for alerting us to this being available again, Frink. I've wanted to check this out for a long time and finally did.

This edit is in many ways a masterpiece! The way Jar-Jar has been redubbed just blew me away. He is a really funny, sarcastic jack-ass now. This movie sorely needed a character like that. For example, after Sebulba threatens Jar-Jar and Anakin intervenes, Jar-Jar says, "I was about to give him a beating before that kid got in the way!" [paraphrasing]. Love it!

Also, I liked the way the relationship between Gungan and Naboo is fleshed out and the Kyber crystal brought into the story. Further, the darker Trade Federation works well, though I personally don't think redubbing them is essential.

However, this edit has a lot of fat which could be trimmed, and the video quality is pretty horrible. If I had video editing skills, I would seriously consider recreating this edit with some of the ideas from Q2 and Secior's mixed in, to tighten things up.

Yads' "Lone Gungan" is a similar edit, though his redubbing of Jar-Jar isn't nearly as interesting.

Does anyone know if Magnoliafan is still around?

Glad to help out :)

I can't find any info about Magnoliafan from the last two years (he tweeted about redoing all three films after the bluray release, but that's it), but considering he completed his edits roughly 10 years ago (gee, I feel old), two years isn't all that much. Maybe he lost interest, or maybe he's hard at work editing the blurays right now. Who knows. He edits when he feels like it, I think.

He did some test edits two (three?) years ago with a version 2 of Ep.1 with a voice actor doing Jar Jar, and Jar Jar suddenly turned into a cross between Joe Pesci and a Noo Joisey used car salesman. It was... interesting. (I think the clips were taken down from Youtube.) He also claimed several years ago that ep.3 was almost finished, but to my knowledge he never released it.

Hope he's doing well, his edits are still my favourite prequel edits (apart from TMBTM's silent edit).

I think he might have posted on ot.com in the past year or two but I don't remember for sure.

HyperDown said:
Thanks for alerting us to this being available again, Frink. I've wanted to check this out for a long time and finally did.

This edit is in many ways a masterpiece! The way Jar-Jar has been redubbed just blew me away. He is a really funny, sarcastic jack-ass now. This movie sorely needed a character like that. For example, after Sebulba threatens Jar-Jar and Anakin intervenes, Jar-Jar says, "I was about to give him a beating before that kid got in the way!" [paraphrasing]. Love it!

Also, I liked the way the relationship between Gungan and Naboo is fleshed out and the Kyber crystal brought into the story. Further, the darker Trade Federation works well, though I personally don't think redubbing them is essential.

However, this edit has a lot of fat which could be trimmed, and the video quality is pretty horrible. If I had video editing skills, I would seriously consider recreating this edit with some of the ideas from Q2 and Secior's mixed in, to tighten things up.

Yads' "Lone Gungan" is a similar edit, though his redubbing of Jar-Jar isn't nearly as interesting.

Does anyone know if Magnoliafan is still around?

Wow, dubbed Jar Jar. That sounds very interesting. May have to check this one out at the weekend.

Back
Top Bottom