• Most new users don't bother reading our rules. Here's the one that is ignored almost immediately upon signup: DO NOT ASK FOR FANEDIT LINKS PUBLICLY. First, read the FAQ. Seriously. What you want is there. You can also send a message to the editor. If that doesn't work THEN post in the Trade & Request forum. Anywhere else and it will be deleted and an infraction will be issued.
  • If this is your first time here please read our FAQ and Rules pages. They have some useful information that will get us all off on the right foot, especially our Own the Source rule. If you do not understand any of these rules send a private message to one of our staff for further details.
  • Please read our Rules & Guidelines

Star Wars EP VII: Heir to the Force (Prolonged Reveal)

DigModiFicaTion

DᴉმWoqᴉԷᴉcɑꓕᴉou
Staff member
Faneditor
Reaction score
Trophy Points
heirtotheforcenewlogosmall5.png

[align=center]
httf-moving-poster_zps2ekfs9h0.gif
[/align]

Update 3/30 -

Current Status:
Fixed 3P0 rotoscope
New Animated Poster, Poster and BR Case​
Added Music to Takodana Raid from War of the Worlds​
Fixed credits background​
Fixed audio during Snoke scene​
Fixed audio levels​

Trailer #1​

[align=center]Trailer #2​

Hello everyone,

I've decided to drop all my other editing projects and focus on actually completing a fan edit :D

The idea of this edit is to preserve the mystery of the film by prolonging the reveal of Kylo Ren's parentage. Other minor snips will be made to remove portions of dialogue that I personally feel are out of place in a Star Wars movie. I'll update this post with new video examples for critiquing and further changes to the cut list.

Software: Sony Vegas Studio HD Platinum 10.0 (yes I need to upgrade); Audacity; Sony Acid
Source: Official BluRay disc
Video = Lossless AVI
Audio = DTS sourced WAV files

Please note that the video examples below are rendered as 640x480 mp4's in order to keep down their size. I have noticed that the videos are abnormally dark after this encoding. As for now, I'm looking for critiques on the concepts and audio more so than the video. When the edit is nearing completion I will post higher quality video files and solicit for previewers of HD versions.

[align=center]
heirtotheforcenewlogo.png

tfa-poster-updated.png

poster-v1.png

poster-v21.png

cover-outside-v1.png

cover-outside-v2.png

[img=400x400]https://digmodification.files.wordpress.com/2017/04/disc.png[/img][/CENTER]

Blu Ray Menus

Loading Screen​

[align=center]Main Menu​

[align=center]Bonus Features​

[align=center]Special Thanks​
https://youtu.be/5csV9PjaYt8[/video][/CENTER]

Slider 4.0

HttF%20Slider_zpse4cvpu2v.png

HttF%20Slider2_zpsu0ctidsy.png

Edit List

1.      Added Custom Loading Screen and Menus (Blu Ray)
2.      Added New Fanedit.org title card based on current logo
3.      Added custom ROTJ style disclaimer
4.      Added A DigModiFicaTion Title card
5.      Added Custom Walt Disney 20th Century Fox title card with 20th Century Fox fanfare
6.      Replaced opening crawl music with opening crawl music from Episode IV
7.      Replaced crawl with custom “Heir to the Force” crawl
8.      Removed Poe's "so who talks first....." lines
9.      Clipped Poe’s line as he is forcefully picked up, now it sounds like he was going to start saying something but the jolt of being hoisted up stops him.
10.   Replaced Video when Kylo Ren says "put him on board"; Video is a slightly cropped/zoomed shot where Kylo Ren is standing still vs the movement in the theatrical cut
11.   Removed Kylo Ren's "comfortable?" line and Poe's response during Poe's interrogation scene
12.   Transition to next scene before Unkar Plott pulls down the window on his other customers
13.   Cut Poe and Finn's conversation after Finn says "Because it's the right thing to do"
14.   Removed Finn firing on and killing Stormtroopers and the traffic control room
15.   Cut Finn and Poe's celebration after blowing up a turret and Scene of tie flying away from Star Destroyer.
16.   Cut “Nice to meet you. Nice to meet you Finn.”
17.   Cut Kylo Ren saying "FN-2187" (even for a Sith lord, that is unbelievable)
18.   Moved "Sir, ventral cannons hot" further up in the audio mix of the scene and cut the Star Trek-esque turret scene down. Now they just fire
19.   Cut the tie fighter blowing up after sinking in the sand
20.   Cut Finn's "this is what we look like, some of us" lines
21.   Cut Rey’s “No” when responding to Finn’s “You ever fly this thing?” line
22.   Cut Finn and Rey's "I can do this" lines when they first get into the Falcon
23.   Removed the Falcon taking a nose dive into the sand upon take off
24.   Cut Rey's line "I’m going low"
25.   Replaced new Millennium Falcon turret sfx with OT turret sfx in chase scene
26.   Replaced audio of Finn cursing after the impact with a grunt (yes I know the originals had cursing, but this is just a personal preference)
27.   Cut scenes of scavengers when the first tie fighter is shot down
28.   Cut the JJ Abrams zoom when the Falcon flies into the downed Star Destroyer’s engines
29.   Cut Finn and Rey's excessive teenage celebration after they make it to space
30.   Reworked scene in order to remove Kylo Ren's tantrum when the officer reports on not getting the droid
31.   Cut Finn's line "you got a boyfriend?"
32.   Cut scene of Finn childishly pushing down on Rey's head
33.   Added Red Gradient glow to mimic the overhead light and connect the edited scene visually
34.   Cut down the Rathtar scene; Han and Chewie run down a corridor, they turn, Chewie is hit, hand blasts the raiders, Rey and Finn pop up from the hatch, Han shoots the door and yells "come on!"
35.   Cut mention of Han Solo and the Millennium Falcon from Snoke's dialogue
36.   Added hologram effect to Snoke
37.   Cut scene of Ren standing up after talking to Vader’s mask in order to use it later in film.
38.   Added Darth Vader breathing sfx when his mask is revealed after Ren talks to it.
39.   Cut down Chewie grabbing Finn and Finn saying "but that's ok"
40.   Added lightsaber sfx and enhanced (echo & reverb) Vader lines “You are not a Jedi yet” and “You don’t know the power of the dark side” along with the Emperor’s laugh to Rey’s force vision
41.   Added SWTFUII Terror on the Salvation cue to Hux’s speech
42.   Changed Hue of Apocolypse now Tie Scene (color matched with sky to make it blue)
43.   Cut Han's no look shot and use of Chewbacca's crossbow and subsequent "I like this" line
44.   Rearranged the Arrival of the Resistance scenes to remove visuals of Poe. Rebuilt audio surround tracks to fit the changes.
45.   Added Rathtars cue and “Attack on the Car” cue from War of the Worlds to the scene where Han, Chewie, Finn, and Maz emerge from the castle ruins. The War of the Worlds track plays during Finn’s lightsaber use.
46.   Cut the continuous pan of Poe’s X-Wing flying, now cuts to Rey right after Finn blasts the second Stormtrooper.
47.   Cut Han's lines about seeing their son; he now says "I saw him, he was here”
48.   Cut Poe's references to his jacket when talking to Finn
49.   Cut scenes with the nurse and Chewbacca
50.   Added R2-D2 visually to the checking the map sequence; also added Artoo beeps and sad sounds; he is now seen, heard, active and present
51.   Cut scene where Artoo is uncovered by 3P0 and all dialogue about Artoo being asleep.
52.   Edited Han to say "I know everytime you think about Luke you're reminded of him"
53.   Cut Leia's lines about their son's training, Snoke, and Han being able to help because he's Ben's father.
54.   Cut Kylo Ren's "you’re my guest" line, now he just coldly stares at Rey
55.   Rearranged and repurposed shots of helmeted Kylo Ren and composited/combined others in order to have Ren Masked. Shortened scene as well.
56.   Edited audio to simulate Ren’s helmeted voice.
57.   Added subtle audio of Vader breathing when Rey reveals that Kylo Ren is afraid and the connection is severed
58.   Repurposed and replaced shots (cropped and speed) during Snoke conversation as to have Kylo Ren hooded and masked.
59.   Added Hologram effect to Snoke
60.   Digitally painted hooded and masked Kylo Ren into the far shots when Hux is walking away….ugh….
61.   Removed Han’s “so it’s big” line
62.   Removed Han's "there's always a way to do that" line after asking how to blow it up. Removed Leia's "Han's right" line
63.   Removed Leia's lines about bringing their son home; inserted shot of Han's face when she would have been talking
64.   Horizontally flipped the scene where the stormtroopers are looking for Rey and everyone is obviously left handed
65.   Cut scene where Han asks Finn what his job was and their verbal altercation; it's a gag to set up a later gag and slows down the movement of the narrative
66.   Cut Finn's "you remember me" lines and scene with Phasma; took Han's advice and brought it down ;)
67.   Cut Rey crawling into the space that soon will squash her; now she just begins to descend down the wall
68.   Cut Finn threatening to blow Phasma's bucket off
69.   Reinstated the Kylo visits the Falcon deleted scene (cropped out timestamps) and added the “The Bombing Run” cue from the FYC version of the soundtrack.
70.   Cut Finn's lines about not being ready and his head nod "what's that" lines
71.   Horizontally flipped scene where x-wing crashes into the snow and Han, Fin, Rey, and Chewie run into the frame and stop. (The next scene contradicts the placement of the characters)
72.   Added a combination of the cue Finn’s Trek and Finn and Poe Reunited from the FYC Star Wars TFA soundtrack along with the Han and Leia cue to the Catwalk scene
73.   Added The Force Unleashed (Infiltrating the Junk Temple) during Finn and Kylo Ren's duel
74.   Removed the ground ripping apart separating Rey and Kylo Ren; superimposed same shot of Rey and Kylo Ren when Rey shuts down her light saber looking across ravine at Kylo Ren. Now the two cropped images meet removing the gaping hole.
75.   Cut first order officer going AWOL, the scene cuts to Hux and Snoke before the officer speaks
76.   Added hologram effect to Snoke
77.   Cropped video to exclude Chewbacca from the background when Leia walks towards Rey; we can imply that Chewbacca hugged her or whatever
78.   Leia's hug with Rey stays; it's easy to explain, Leia knows how much Han meant to her, “Han told me about the girl” (Rey) and she (Rey) needed that one person who understood to be there for her
79.   Added composite of Artoo’s eye being active when he is supposed to be waking up.
80.   Cut 3P0’s line “R2-D2 you’ve come back!” when approaching R2; he now says “Come along you two” (taken from the 2016 Oscars speech)
81.   Edited 3P0’s lines to say “Artoo may contain some much needed good news” instead of “Artoo D2 may…”
82.   Cut 3P0’s line “how I’ve missed you”
83.   Cut scenes of Rey arriving on planet to find Luke; I used the force theme from the end of the movie to make the famous iris ending and fanfare occur right as the Millennium Falcon enters hyperspace; also added various sound effects for the Millennium Falcon, crowd, and Chewbacca during takeoff.
(The reason for this particular decision was to mirror the OT in how they end. The OT trilogy ended two ways, a victorious celebration (IV and VI) or an adventurous plan set in motion (V). Showing Luke at the end of the movie is like showing scenes of Han frozen in carbonite in the trunk of Slave I. The scene with Luke doesn't really advance the story and it removes the sense of episodic closure the OT accomplished with each episode. We know that there will be a Star Wars VIII, we know that Luke will be in it, we didn't see Luke the entire movie, why not just wait? He was in the movie to sell the movie. I'm already sold on the movie, so out he goes so that we can focus on Rey, Ren, and Fin.)
84.   Revised “edited by” credits to add Fanedited by DigModiFicaTion
85.   Added “A DigModiFicaTion” after “A Bad Robot Production”
86.   Added 20th Century Walt Disney Logo, Fanedit.org logo, DigModiFicaTion logo, and special thanks section to credits

Original Run Time      2:18:06
Edit Run Time            2:08:56
Time Cut                     0:11:55
Time Added               0:02:01 (includes title cards during opening and credits)

Special Thanks (in alphabetical order):

Anakin5kwalker
Canon Editor
Force Ghost Recon
Imperial Fighter
ironman23
Kexikus
LastImpressions
Moe_Syzlak
Original Trilogy Fan
revel911
RougeLeader
Smithers
ssj
That OT Ruler
thecuddlyninja
ThrowgnCpr
TM2YC
Zarius

Walt Disney and LucasFilms ltd
the fanedit.org and originaltrilogy.com communities

and my family, who put up with me through this whole process

Special Thanks (in alphabetical order):​

Anakin5kwalker​
Canon Editor​
DarthRush​
Force Ghost Recon​
Imperial Fighter​
ironman23​
Kexikus​
LastImpressions​
Moe_Syzlak​
Original Trilogy Fan​
revel911​
risc19*​
RougeLeader​
Smithers​
ssj​
That OT Ruler​
thecuddlyninja​
ThrowgnCpr​
TM2YC​
Zarius​
 ​
*for supplying the hyperspace menu effect​

Walt Disney and LucasFilms ltd​
the fanedit.org and originaltrilogy.com communities​
 ​
and my family, who put up with me through this whole process​

Prolonged Reveal v.2​

As mentioned in the fan edit ideas for TFA thread; this idea aims to prolong the mystery of Kylo Ren's identity while mirroring the progression of Luke's reveal in the OT. New to this version are: some audio errors have been fixed in this updated version, and Han now saying "everytime you think of Luke you're reminded of him" along with musical edits to try and smooth the transition. Again the scenes are stacked up against each other for the purpose of quickly sharing the idea and concept.

The following explanation is a quote of my original post.
DigModiFicaTion said:
I've been working on ideas on how to prolong the reveal of Kylo Ren's parentage. I really think they had an opportunity to engage the viewer into Kylo Ren more if they had left the mystery until Han says "the face of my son" on the catwalk. It would have mirrored the reveal of Vader to Luke, and would have perhaps been just as shocking to all of us. My hope is to create such a moment for my kids when they watch the movie in the future. So far this video is what I've come up with.
*please note that these scenes were spliced together, they will not be ordered one after another in my edit

Here's the idea with the first edit. Snoke only informs Kylo Ren that his father will be the greatest test he ever faces. No mention of the Millennium Falcon or Han being his father here. Two things happen as a result; the original mystery question of "Is Kylo Ren Luke Skywalker?" is all but answered, unless of course this is Luke.... and a new question of who is father is is thrust into the minds of the viewer. Is he Luke's son? Is he Jacen Solo? We don't know.

The next edit is Kylo Ren talking to Vader's mask. He then reveals that Anakin Skywalker is his grandfather. We know that Snoke referenced Kylo Ren's father as being his greatest test. This mirrors Luke's greatest test being confronting his father and not being seduced. As with the rhyming of Star Wars, this theory fits and the viewer will hopefully be swayed towards the thought that Luke is Kylo Ren's father, and that that he is in fact a Skywalker. The mystery though is still intact.

The third edit simply removes Han saying that he saw their son. He now simply says, "I saw him. He was here." This could imply that he saw their nephew, Luke's son. This edit is followed by Han and Leia's conversation about Kylo Ren. Any reference of Kylo Ren being their son is removed. There is a left over hint of "I know every time you see me you are reminded of him" that Han says to Leia which I may remove, but it may make the scene too short. The purpose of this scene was to set up the idea that Leia feels the awakening call to the light within him. Her link to him could be explained because she is the daughter of a Skywalker. It's loose, but it's the best I could do to this scene at the moment. 

The next edit is also a simple removal of a line. Here, Kylo Ren does not say "he would have dissapointed you" after he reads Rey's mind and mentions that she thinks of Han Solo as the father she never had. This removes the link of Kylo Ren implying that Han was his father. Also, as seen in later scenes, his reference to Han Solo by name rather than by father further leads the audience to believe that Luke is Kylo Ren's father after all. I had hoped to attempt to replace Kylo Ren's mask for these scenes as to keep him cloaked in mystery even further, but alas, my skills do not meet those requirements.

After this edit I removed Leia asking Han to bring their son home if he sees him at StarKiller base. I achieved this by a zoomed pan and rearranged video.

The next edit is Kylo Ren sensing Han's presence and saying "Han Solo" while turning to the camera. This again increases the disconnect. It continues in the following edit. Han yells out "Ben!" and the hope is that the audience now thinks he is Ben Skywalker. Kylo Ren increases the likelihood of this by saying, "Han Solo" when talking to Han. The reveal is then left for a more appropriate timing, with Han and Kylo's exchange with Han revealing that Kylo is his son, Ben Solo.

I do have the issue of explaining why Han left as a result of this restructure. It becomes clear, possibly, once the reveal is made, but honestly his character takes a hit from this editing idea.

Finn v Kylo Ren Duel Edit​

Here I add music from The Force Unleashed soundtrack (Infiltrating the Junk Temple) during Ren and Finn's duel. I feel it brings more emotion into the scene and makes it more story telling than just mano-e-mano, imo. I toyed with a more percussive duel sound, but ultimately thought that would interfere with the buildup of Rey and Finn's duel. I like that the music is slightly creepy and implies that Ren is toying with Finn.

Interrogation Scene (w/out needed visual effects)​

The idea of this scene is to preserve an added sense of mystery to Kylo Ren. If we don't see his face, we don't even know if he's human. While this isn't integral to preserving the reveal, it would add an element to his character much like Darth Vader, when we never knew until the third film what he even looked like. I've indicated where the helmet would need to be added in each scene. I've spent way too much time trying to key frame some edited production prop shots and it just looks like a goofy jib-jab video. I did leave in two of my key framed sequences that I thought were pretty good, perhaps you can point them out :) If anyone is interested in this idea and has the chops to make it happen please pm me. If not, this idea will probably have to be abandoned.

I'm pretty happy with the audio editing of this scene. It's not perfect, but for a first time shot at creating a Kylo Ren voice, I'm ok with the outcome. I used a few audacity guides online and combined their ideas to produce the effect. Essentially it's a lowered pitch megaphone modulation with hard limiters and a treble and bass boost plus a regular lowered pitch track. The pitch was lowered about 18% on both and the distortion comes from the megaphone track. I'd love to hear your thoughts on the voice augmentation to see if your ears think it is close enough or needs major reworking.

Rathtar Scene​

As always, please leave your thoughts, suggestions, rants, and encouragement. I greatly appreciate your input. Thanks!​

DigModiFicaTion

DᴉმWoqᴉԷᴉcɑꓕᴉou
Staff member
Faneditor
Reaction score
Trophy Points
No Tantrum

This edit reworks the first tantrum scene. Here Ren listens and then reacts with a quick response with "what girl?" No lightsaber, no cheesy throat force pull choke.​

[align=center]

octoroxx

Faneditor
Reaction score
Trophy Points
I pretty much disagree with the entire premise of this edit, but it certainly looks like a solid attempt at accomplishing what it sets out to do. Ultimately, I prefer Kylo Ren as the "Vader wannabe" character we got. I thought his very human flaws and the way he's almost a foil to Luke (which I think prequel Anakin was trying to be) made him more compelling. I think an attempt to "do Vader again" would have been a huge mistake. To each their own  :shy:

DigModiFicaTion

DᴉმWoqᴉԷᴉcɑꓕᴉou
Staff member
Faneditor
Reaction score
Trophy Points
Thanks for the honest response. I can see your point of view. The attempt was to mirror Luke's reveal. Han is meant to deliver the Vader bomb in this edit. I just thought this would make the movie more interesting.

After watching the interrogation scene over and over, I'm going to elect to keep it intact. There is some great nonverbal character development in Adam Drivers performance that indicates those flaws that you pointed out. I too find these parts of his character intriguing. Abarams along with Driver and Ridley really shined with capturing emotion without dialogue.

I have been thinking of making a supplementary edit that leaves in the earlier reveal scenes and just omits a few things here and there. That way if have two flavors. I appreciate your feedback.

revel911

Reaction score
Trophy Points
I entirely disagree with the criticism, because I feel the reveal that this is Han's son would have been awesome under tor premise .... so keep going with it and good luck.

For R2 .... have you thought about removing the silly C3PO dialogue, and have R2 wake up right after BB* comes to him.

They have the map right away, but can not go due to needing to defeat starkiller base.

One change I would like is to combine the planets Takonda and D'Qar. It gets rid if the planet jumping feel the movie has, while also explaining how the resistance showed up so quick.

DigModiFicaTion

DᴉმWoqᴉԷᴉcɑꓕᴉou
Staff member
Faneditor
Reaction score
Trophy Points
revel911 said:
I entirely disagree with the criticism, because I feel the reveal that this is Han's son would have been awesome under tor premise .... so keep going with it and good luck.

For R2 .... have you thought about removing the silly C3PO dialogue, and have R2 wake up right after BB* comes to him.

They have the map right away, but can not go due to needing to defeat starkiller base.

One change I would like is to combine the planets Takonda and D'Qar. It gets rid if the planet jumping feel the movie has, while also explaining how the resistance showed up so quick.

Thanks for the encouragement revel. Your idea about having r2 wake up earlier is an interesting one. I'll have to play around with it. I wonder if there is enough positive energy to lift the movie after they return to the resistance base if the map scene occurred earlier.

I can understand your desire to lower the planet jumping, but I feel this would result in an awkward narrative. If Maz was on D'Qar, the first order would know their location and I don't know if it would make sense that they would just leave without a full on assault. I'll have to watch the scenes where Hux and Snoke speak about the resistance revealing themselves.

I personally felt like there was a good amount of time between the droid and bounty hunter messages sent out to allow for some hyperspace travel. 

Thanks again!

*UPDATE*
Edit is now 90% complete

I've made a low res preview file and found a few frames that have snuck into transitions. I'll be fixing those and should hopefully have a hires version for previews next week some time. If you would like to preview the low res file send a PM. Thanks! :)

octoroxx

Faneditor
Reaction score
Trophy Points
Yeah, sorry if I was a bit harsh. I don't think the slow reveal is a bad idea. It was mainly the change to the interrogation scene, and to a lesser extent the removal of the tantrum, that irked me. I'm still interested to see what comes of this.

ironman23

Faneditor
Reaction score
Trophy Points
As someone who adored this film and still find it to hold up well IMO. And as other have pointed out, I have a few nitpicks/things to be desired from a possibly even better film. First, I would consider a very slight color correction to fix the magenta and teal/blue throughout. It's not begging for it like the other SW films, but just a suggestion. Second, the rathtar sequence- just cut from Finn's line of "They look like that" and him/Rey running of screen to Han/Chewie wiring the door. The scene has fun dialouge and is a nice re introduction to Solo's character I wouldn't take the entire thing out. And finally, just maybe add sounds of luke and vader's duel to the flashback of Rey for more tension/cool factor. You have a good sense of talent and judgement about you based on what you've said and shown us, so yea consider me very interested in this and a high res file whenever available!

thecuddlyninja

Staff member
Faneditor
Reaction score
Trophy Points
I don't think any liking/disliking of an idea can be harsh. The point of posting stuff here is to get feedback. The editor can take it or leave it but dissenting opinions and ideas often prove the most useful/valuable.

All that said, I don't like the idea of prolonging the reveal but I'm certainly down to see how it works in the finished product and judge then.

Also, putting everything aside and focusing on one edit is a really good thing for new editors. It's very easy to get excited about other things and go off on tangents.

el_silloneb

Reaction score
Trophy Points
Removed Poe's "so who talks first....." lines - YES!

[*]Cut the tie fighter blowing up after sinking in the sand - YES!

[*]Cut Finn's "well this what we look like, some of us" lines - Good

[*]Removed the Falcon taking a nose dive into the sand upon take off - Good

[*]Cut scene of Finn childishly pushing down on Rey's head - Good

[*]Cut down the Rathtar scene; Han and Chewie run down a corridor, they turn, Chewie is hit, hand blasts the raiders, Rey and Finn pop up from the hatch, Han shoots the door and yells "come on!" - Good

[*]Possibly removing Finn's "Big deal" conversation with Han - Good

[*]Cut Han's no look shot and use of Chewbacca's crossbow and subsequent "I like this" line - YES! YES!

[*]Cut Finn yelling out about the pilot, now he turns around smiling and it cuts to Poe screaming "Yeeha!" - YES!

[*]Added Darth Vader breathing sfx when Rey mentions his name - Really wouldn't do this, it'll probably work earlier on with the mask reveal but I think that here it will sound cheesy

[*]Removed Han's "there's always a way to do that" line after asking how to blow it up. Removed Leia's "Han's right" line - YES!

[*]Cut scene where Han asks Finn what his job was and their verbal altercation; it's a gag to set up a later gag and slows down the movement of the narrative - Good
[*]Cut Finn's "you remember me lines" and scene with Phasma; took Han's advice and brought it down ;;) - YES! 

[*]Cut Finn's lines about not being ready and his head nod "what's that lines" - YEEEEES!!!

[*]Cut Rey and Chewbacca going to find Luke; Used the force theme from the end of the movie to make the famous iris ending and fanfare occur right as the Millennium Falcon enters hyperspace; also added various sound effects for the Millennium Falcon, crowd, and Chewbacca - Hmm, OK I can see that maybe working...

Overall the main problem I had with the film was Finn's character (and all his inconsistencies) your proposed clean up with him and his dialogue gets my thumbs up.
I felt that having a brattish, immature Ren was entirely plausible especially after seeing the prequels and how much of a dick Anakin was, if it runs in the family this works! However, I can see your motivation for the edit and am interested in seeing how you get your ideas to work.
A later reveal? Sounds good to me, keep us posted.

DigModiFicaTion

DᴉმWoqᴉԷᴉcɑꓕᴉou
Staff member
Faneditor
Reaction score
Trophy Points
octoroxx said:
Yeah, sorry if I was a bit harsh. I don't think the slow reveal is a bad idea. It was mainly the change to the interrogation scene, and to a lesser extent the removal of the tantrum, that irked me. I'm still interested to see what comes of this.

Not harsh at all. Very constructive actually. It challenges me to think of why I wanted to change stuff.

The tantrum just doesn't make sense to me personally. Yes it shows that he is unstable, but I felt like it made him into a joke, personally. I do leave in his initial chopping of the chair later in the film. I felt that one was anger and fear, the dark side. He just was shamed by Rey (resisting him), Hux (seeing him unmasked and belittling him infront of Snoke), and Snoke's dissapointment and anger towards him. When she is gone, he experiences those foundational dark side feelings resulting in slashing the chair. The first tantrum just came across as privileged bd guy to me.

As originally indicated, the interrogation scene was a concept idea. The video was more of less a recruiting tool to show others that I could do the audio side of it, but would require help with the rotoscoping and 3D work. The original interrogation scene will remain intact in this edit, unless/until someone here can lend thier talents (hint hint ;))

I appreciate your interest and concerns for my edit choices :)

DigModiFicaTion

DᴉმWoqᴉԷᴉcɑꓕᴉou
Staff member
Faneditor
Reaction score
Trophy Points
ironman23 said:
As someone who adored this film and still find it to hold up well IMO. And as other have pointed out, I have a few nitpicks/things to be desired from a possibly even better film. First, I would consider a very slight color correction to fix the magenta and teal/blue throughout. It's not begging for it like the other SW films, but just a suggestion. Second, the rathtar sequence- just cut from Finn's line of "They look like that" and him/Rey running of screen to Han/Chewie wiring the door. The scene has fun dialouge and is a nice re introduction to Solo's character I wouldn't take the entire thing out. And finally, just maybe add sounds of luke and vader's duel to the flashback of Rey for more tension/cool factor.  You have a good sense of talent and judgement about you based on what you've said and shown us, so yea consider me very interested in this and a high res file whenever available!

I pretty much agree with you on the rathtar scene. I will upload that sequence after my new charger arrives (kiddo broke my charger yesterday).

I like the idea of the lightsaber fight sound fx. I think a short moment could bring that cool factor you mention. Thank you for your compliments and ideas :)

ironman23

Faneditor
Reaction score
Trophy Points
Hey no problem man, just keep up the good work!

Smithers

Faneditor
Reaction score
Trophy Points
I like the Kylo reveal at the end. It's something that I've been thinking of since I first saw it in theatres. I recommend adding a subtle musical cue when Han says "the face of my son". Otherwise good work!

The interrogation scene is doable that way but the special effects and getting the voice right would be brutal.

Good luck on this! I'll be checking it out.

DigModiFicaTion

DᴉმWoqᴉԷᴉcɑꓕᴉou
Staff member
Faneditor
Reaction score
Trophy Points
Rathtar Scene

Here is my take on the Rathtar scene. The idea here is to retain the character development prior to this scene, but get through the cgi rathtars as quick as possible. I feel that this gets the dire situation across without going over the top. More importantly, it feels like Han and Chewie, imho.

The rathtar seen in the background does disappear once they reach the door, but I'm ok with thinking that it just rolled off down a side corridor after some thugs. Perhaps I should use the left audio channel to imply this offscreen movement?

As always, I'd love to hear your feedback. Thanks!

[align=center]

ironman23

Faneditor
Reaction score
Trophy Points
Tbh, first time I saw this clip I swore it was the original release simply from how well the transitions smooth over everything :) great job once again man, I'll post a color correction comparison as soon as possible for ya!

Moe_Syzlak

Reaction score
Trophy Points
DigModiFicaTion said:
Rathtar Scene

Here is my take on the Rathtar scene. The idea here is to retain the character development prior to this scene, but get through the cgi rathtars as quick as possible. I feel that this gets the dire situation across without going over the top. More importantly, it feels like Han and Chewie, imho.

The rathtar seen in the background does disappear once they reach the door, but I'm ok with thinking that it just rolled off down a side corridor after some thugs. Perhaps I should use the left audio channel to imply this offscreen movement?

As always, I'd love to hear your feedback. Thanks!

[align=center]
Nice job! I'll be checking out this edit based in this alone. I hope you'll also remove the later Han Solo dialogue about the crossbow. It never made sense since we know he's fired it.

DigModiFicaTion

DᴉმWoqᴉԷᴉcɑꓕᴉou
Staff member
Faneditor
Reaction score
Trophy Points
ironman23 said:
And here it is-

I do like the more natural coloring that you achieved in this video. It may be me, but it also looks like some of the definition was lost. The scenes almost look like their brightness was elevated and the contrast was rolled back. This kind of looks like a fog transparency has been draped over the video to my eyes. Please don't take this the wrong way, I'm really interested in your color correction, but I'd want to make sure that crispness was preserved as well. Thanks for sharing!

What program are you using? I forgot to do the color correction at the beginning of this project. For anyone using Sony Vegas, is there an easy way to do a batch color correction once the files are segmented (I have over 100 segments I'm sure)?

ironman23

Faneditor
Reaction score
Trophy Points
DigModiFicaTion said:
ironman23 said:
And here it is-

I do like the more natural coloring that you achieved in this video. It may be me, but it also looks like some of the definition was lost. The scenes almost look like their brightness was elevated and the contrast was rolled back. This kind of looks like a fog transparency has been draped over the video to my eyes. Please don't take this the wrong way, I'm really interested in your color correction, but I'd want to make sure that crispness was preserved as well. Thanks for sharing!

What program are you using? I forgot to do the color correction at the beginning of this project. For anyone using Sony Vegas, is there an easy way to do a batch color correction once the files are segmented (I have over 100 segments I'm sure)?

Yea, I tried experimenting with brightening the shadows with a different technique that does give a foggy look. I personally feel a lot more comfortable with adobe elements in terms of all my editing- it was the system I used for years and the one I was taught with back in highschool. Thanks for pointing that out, soon I'll try a revised version of coloring.

And in terms of forgetting to re color, it's no real issue since I believe in finishing the actual editing first with nothing else on my plate.

Top Bottom