• Most new users don't bother reading our rules. Here's the one that is ignored almost immediately upon signup: DO NOT ASK FOR FANEDIT LINKS PUBLICLY. First, read the FAQ. Seriously. What you want is there. You can also send a message to the editor. If that doesn't work THEN post in the Trade & Request forum. Anywhere else and it will be deleted and an infraction will be issued.
  • If this is your first time here please read our FAQ and Rules pages. They have some useful information that will get us all off on the right foot, especially our Own the Source rule. If you do not understand any of these rules send a private message to one of our staff for further details.
  • Please read our Rules & Guidelines

Star Wars: Andor

DigModiFicaTion

DᴉმWoqᴉԷᴉcɑꓕᴉou
Staff member
Faneditor
Reaction score
Trophy Points
From a Collider article.

Gilroy even told Collider, “I don't think [Cassian and his fellow neighbors on Ferrix] know about the royal family. I don’t think they pay much mind to that. I mean, how many beings are in that gigantic galaxy? I think the vast majority of all of the creatures and beings and sentient things that are in the galaxy, I think the knowledge of the Jedi and the lightsaber is a pretty small number.”

This all day long. Too much of the representation of this galaxy is wrapped up in the "royal family" they are insignificant when it comes to the whole.

Gaith

Faneditor
Reaction score
Trophy Points
Ever since The Last Jedi came out, some of its admirers have made the maddening argument that its detractors "just don't want anything new with Star Wars." I always found this argument both laughable and noxious - laughable, given how many plot beats, thematic elements, character turns, and visuals TLJ borrowed from Empire/RotJ, and noxious, in that it was generally made in bad faith. Just because some critics of TLJ didn't think the penultimate/eighth entry in a nine-film saga was the right project to undercut the previous movie's setups and experiment with Stars Wars' tone didn't mean they never wanted anything new from the franchise, period; they might have simply thought that such variety would more properly appear elsewhere.

Well, now we have Andor, and, IMO, it's a helluva lot more of a departure from classic Star Wars than TLJ was. Unlike TLJ, with its pointless surface-level flirtation between the perfectly virtuous Rey and the angsty "bad boy" Kylo, Andor gives us a major plot point consisting of petty sexual jealousy. Instead of ham-fisted, anvilicious social messaging like "corporate war profiteering is bad," which doesn't have anything to do with the story at hand, Andor shows in painful and believable detail how turning a blind eye to the accused in criminal justice systems allows for horrific abuse. Instead of heroes who are so idiotic they park their spacecraft wherever they like in an elite area they have zero familiarity with, Andor has characters who make elaborate plans, and practice their manuevers with professionalism and determination. Instead of First Order villains who blubber and yell at their enemies, Andor gives us nuanced and layered Imperial characters who react to warfare with disorientation and panic. I could go on, but one gets the idea. Abrams built a crappy sandcastle with TFA, and Johnson thought he was being wonderfully clever by simply kicking it flat. Enter Tony Gilroy, with an almost entirely new slate of characters, who came and built something genuinely great.

Andor S1 isn't perfect - I thought at least two episodes sagged a bit, and the idea of a universe dominated by a fascist government that doesn't have a clear external enemy to fight will never quite make sense to me, because, as the old saying goes, "Fascism means war." Ergo, any depiction of a fascist state, even in fantasy, that isn't actively opposed to and in conflict with another system/force/entity, will always ring at least somewhat hollow. However, coming up with such an external and publicly known threat at this point in the saga, be it the Yuuzhan Vong or whatever, would have done more damage to the canon than it was worth.

So, while I haven't seen the animated shows, or ready any of the new continuity books, I feel confident in saying Andor S1 is the greatest Star Wars story since the Thrawn Trilogy, and the best screen story since Empire. For this, I offer Lucasfilm and Kathleen Kennedy sincere congratulations; they finally made something not just decent, but excellent.

S1 Grade: A-

Top Bottom