• Most new users don't bother reading our rules. Here's the one that is ignored almost immediately upon signup: DO NOT ASK FOR FANEDIT LINKS PUBLICLY. First, read the FAQ. Seriously. What you want is there. You can also send a message to the editor. If that doesn't work THEN post in the Trade & Request forum. Anywhere else and it will be deleted and an infraction will be issued.
  • If this is your first time here please read our FAQ and Rules pages. They have some useful information that will get us all off on the right foot, especially our Own the Source rule. If you do not understand any of these rules send a private message to one of our staff for further details.
  • Please read our Rules & Guidelines

Star Wars: Andor

Masirimso17

Cover Artist
Reaction score
Trophy Points
In their episodic format, the first two episodes are poorly constructed and barely make a first act and then they just END... no cliffhanger, no exciting plot reveal... just randomly ENDS.

To be fair, it fits the 12-episode narrative structure as the first three episodes make up the first act... I do see what you mean about the episodes sort of ending without a climax of its own (besides the
Cassian flashbacks
sort of making the skeleton of the structure of an episode), so you may be right that it would have worked better as a 90-minute pilot (although they were released as if it was a 90 minute pilot, knowing people would binge it).

Nevertheless, I'm really loving it so far and can't wait for the next episodes.

DigModiFicaTion

DᴉმWoqᴉԷᴉcɑꓕᴉou
Staff member
Faneditor
Reaction score
Trophy Points
I think some of the main reasons I'm liking this show are the raw analysis on culture and condition, the presentation that mirrors some of the grit of Blade Runner, the score that is emotionally on point, the characters who feel human and real for once, the grey of perceived right and wrong, the practicality and tangible nature of the visuals, the more realistic representation of immediate consequence of action and inaction, action that isn't bombastic and over the top, the emotional intensity of character development and the excellent acting. This is grounded, gritty and holds weight in our world and time.

Moe_Syzlak

Reaction score
Trophy Points
I’m glad the episode lengths won’t be strictly 30 minutes like the first three. Episode four was a pretty transitional episode. If the first three episodes were act one, this one felt like act one of act two. 🤣 It had to introduce a lot of new elements. I thought it did an okay job of it. I was also a bit surprised my 10 yo was as engaged with this episode as he was. He was yelling at the TV when the credits rolled, “what!? It can’t stop now!” If the prequels had had this quality of writing, direction and this more serious tone, I think they would be almost universally loved. The political intrigue feels tense and real; the characters feel plausible and properly motivated. But I will concede it is a very different product for Star Wars that could alienate some.

DigModiFicaTion

DᴉმWoqᴉԷᴉcɑꓕᴉou
Staff member
Faneditor
Reaction score
Trophy Points
Just finished episode 4. I'm wracking my brain as to how this is getting it so right and the other Star Wars productions since Jedi and Rogue One got it so wrong. I'm loving this show.

valra

Reaction score
Trophy Points
Okay, I'm sold now. This is shaping up to be something special. Maybe I was a bit biased when I was watching the first three episodes, but this new episode probably has the best writing since ESB. The way they are able to introduce new characters and set up conflicts across multiple layers while making it feel effortless really feels like old school cinema. I'm also impressed how they manage to steer Star Wars in a new direction while still remaining true to it. You can see it in the worldbuilding and production design. They found the right balance between genre fiction and prestige television, which gives the show a sense of maturity and seriousness without feeling cringe because it's Star Wars.

Last Impressions

Donor
Faneditor
Reaction score
Trophy Points
Just finished episode 4. I'm wracking my brain as to how this is getting it so right and the other Star Wars productions since Jedi and Rogue One got it so wrong. I'm loving this show.
Tony Gilroy's writing plays a big part. Michael Clayton is a top notch film.

I'm loving the Dedra Meero character played by Denise Gough.

It was great seeing Coruscant again.

The English accents are quite off putting at times as they are too near to home :ROFLMAO:

Moe_Syzlak

Reaction score
Trophy Points
Well maybe I’m an idiot that I didn’t realize this sooner or maybe I’m an idiot and wrong, but it seems that this show is being presented in three episode acts. This was clearly the middle of this storyline. There are only the faintest of threads carrying through from the first three episodes at this point. Hopefully it will all come together. This, as stated, was a middle episode. Where the last episode was establishing and the next episode will presumably be payoff. This episode delivered probably the most thematic and character development of the series thus far. Although my son gave it a thumbs up I think he was a bit underwhelmed. For me, it was the type of real character development I’ve craved from Star Wars.

hothstation

Reaction score
Trophy Points
Well maybe I’m an idiot that I didn’t realize this sooner or maybe I’m an idiot and wrong, but it seems that this show is being presented in three episode acts. This was clearly the middle of this storyline
As much as I am enjoying Andor, I am a little fearful that the next episode won't have a "payoff" but I am hoping for the best. I feel most people watching this are getting impatient, and I really do not want this show to fail like some of the others.

The Scribbling Man

Tenant of the Tower of Flints
Staff member
Donor
Faneditor
Reaction score
Trophy Points
I'm not impressed tbh. Some nice elements that are lacking from other Star Wars series, but there's so much unnecessary fat, most of which is treading tired clichés.

hothstation

Reaction score
Trophy Points
I'm not impressed tbh. Some nice elements that are lacking from other Star Wars series, but there's so much unnecessary fat, most of which is treading tired clichés.
In my opinion, they are heavily relying on character development and it is grating on some of the audience.

Moe_Syzlak

Reaction score
Trophy Points
In my opinion, they are heavily relying on character development and it is grating on some of the audience.
I don’t think the character development is the problem. So far, I’m just not sold on this format of (presumably) three episode mini-arcs. They’ve done a good job of developing characters but then we just leave them behind to develop a new crop of characters. I’m really hoping we get more of Bix (and not just because she’s super hot 🤣) and we don’t leave behind Luthen and Mon Mothma the way so many characters from the first three episodes have been left out. The main carryover character from the first three episodes (other than Cassian) is also IMO the most interesting character: Syril. And he hasn’t been given much to do the past two episodes. I’m hopeful things will start to tie back together rather than have Cassian fly off to some other planet for another three episode adventure with a new crop of characters. But even if they do, I’ve been really loving this show. It feels fresh and I’m tired of space wizards with laser swords.

hothstation

Reaction score
Trophy Points
But even if they do, I’ve been really loving this show. It feels fresh and I’m tired of space wizards with laser swords.
I am right alongside you here... My fingers are tightly crossed for a major, worthy payoff at each arc.

Moe_Syzlak

Reaction score
Trophy Points
Me upon hearing someone use that unironically:

Good thing I was saying it ironically. 🤔

I’m a sucker for a heist and I thought this was a pretty good one. I didn’t think it was perfect but I enjoyed it. It had tension and it had elements that made you feel were problems but the plan had accounted for (a key element of a good heist for me), and it had things that didn’t go to plan. That said, my earlier criticisms of the three episode arc format were validated. Other than faint hints at developments for Luthen and Mon Mothma, this was, seemingly, a total reset for the next adventure.

Last edited:

DigModiFicaTion

DᴉმWoqᴉԷᴉcɑꓕᴉou
Staff member
Faneditor
Reaction score
Trophy Points
I'll admit, that wasn't the best heist I've seen, but that was a fantastic take on a heist in the Star Wars universe. This captured the intensity of their heist. Honestly, it kind of was triggering as it was presented almost like a terrorist attack. It made the Coaxium Heist in Solo look and feel like a kids production. This just flipped Star Wars on its end. The threats are real. The characters are flawed and driven by real world ambitions, hopes, desires, and fears. This is raw and and offers a glimpse at the desperation of the rebellion cause and brings you into Cassian's tortured mind. To seek for peace, only to be confronted with choices that take that peace further from his grasp. It will be interesting to see how Nemik's manifesto changes Cassian and how he reconnects with the rebellion. That last scene with Luthen was the perfect release. The rebellion has begun.

The only concern I have for this series going forward is a burnout by viewers knowing that many characters that we will meet will ultimately die within the 3 episode arc. I know this was hard for many people when everyone died in Rogue One. I'll admit, I wish the core would have made it out and we could have had movies that mirrored the original trilogy films, but showed us the espionage and secret missions. That would have been fun. But, I also appreciated the bravery t show the hellish reality of war. Death and permanence. This show continues Rogue One's more realistic lens of the War side of Star Wars.[/spoiler]

Top Bottom