• Most new users don't bother reading our rules. Here's the one that is ignored almost immediately upon signup: DO NOT ASK FOR FANEDIT LINKS PUBLICLY. First, read the FAQ. Seriously. What you want is there. You can also send a message to the editor. If that doesn't work THEN post in the Trade & Request forum. Anywhere else and it will be deleted and an infraction will be issued.
  • If this is your first time here please read our FAQ and Rules pages. They have some useful information that will get us all off on the right foot. More details on our policies, especially our Own the Source rule are available here. If you do not understand any of these rules send a private message to one of our staff for further details.
  • Favorite Edit of the Year (FEOTY) Nominations for 2020 are now open! Submit your entries here.

Star Wars Abridged — 9 films cut to 3 (new preview for sequel 3-in-1 available)

subjectzero

Well-known member
Faneditor
Messages
262
Reaction score
64
Trophy Points
48
Masirimso17 said:
subjectzero said:
Update on Abridged III: I'm abandoning the current version. I've tried reworking it and reworking it and the whole thing has collapsed into quite a mess. The problem is that there's just no cohesive story throughline—unlike the prequels and original trilogy—and it just doesn't work. The sequel trilogy needs a complete rewrite... I'll get to that in a minute.

In the interim, I'm going to finalize the first two films. Those are pretty much ready to go and just need a bit of finesse. No point in delaying those while I work on the third one.

As for Star Wars Abridged III, I think the best way I can think of to rework it is to make one significant change: Rey Solo. Not entirely sure how to pull this off, TBH, but I wonder if I can edit the Death Star lightsaber fight with the Exogal battle, recasting the Final Order as Snoke's final order... if something happens to him he'll have his retribution and let the galaxy burn. Again, no idea how to actually pull this off but if anyone has either Daisy Ridley and Adam Driver saying the words mother, father, brother, and sister, that might be super helpful.

Interesting. Were you unable to cut out Kijimi and the Chewbacca rescue as you originally planned?

Do you think your old version with Kijimi/Chewie rescue is different from your new plan enough for it to be worth a watch? I was holding off on it before the new version, but maybe it might give some ideas. Although, if Rise of Skywalker is in it a lot I don’t think I can be able to sit through it again ?

I did cut the Kijimi/Chewie rescue and the film is about a half hour shorter with a few reworked scenes (and no dagger). I might just put that one up and make it available for those who want to see it.

The new plan is to make the films massively different but, at best, having an assembly of that is months and months away since I'll be starting from scratch. I don't even really have a plan for it yet, just a hodgepodge of ideas.
 

Masirimso17

Well-known member
Faneditor
Cover Artist
Messages
1,867
Reaction score
10
Trophy Points
68
subjectzero said:
I did cut the Kijimi/Chewie rescue and the film is about a half hour shorter with a few reworked scenes (and no dagger). I might just put that one up and make it available for those who want to see it.

The new plan is to make the films massively different but, at best, having an assembly of that is months and months away since I'll be starting from scratch. I don't even really have a plan for it yet, just a hodgepodge of ideas.

In that case a version of that to see would be preferable. I’m interested in your edit but can hardly sit through TRoS anymore ? the version with all that cut could help. Although after struggling with watching Peregrine’s edit which doesn’t even have Kijimi/Chewie rescue I have doubts (no fault to the editor at all, the original movie just sucks that much for me).
 

greenturnedblue

Well-known member
Messages
75
Reaction score
11
Trophy Points
13
I just wish the Ochi/Luke and Lando searching for the artifact or whatever, was set up in one of the other movies. There are almost a dozen other movies yet they had to wait til the last movie to introduce it. Look at the Harry Potters for example, from the second movie the horcruxes are set up and are the common element weaving the movies together. If episode 8 had Luke explaining to Rey he and Lando were hunting Ochi but the trail went cold, then she tracks Lando down at the end of 8, then in episode 9 she and Lando could pick the trail back up together instead of cramming it all into one movie

I also wish they called him "Darth Sidious" and not palpatine
 

subjectzero

Well-known member
Faneditor
Messages
262
Reaction score
64
Trophy Points
48
Alright, been poking around with a new edit and am just starting to rough some things in. Currently, my idea is to edit the 3-in-1 backwards from the climax and try to fit everything together so it all follows a logical progression. So far, I've removed Palpatine entirely (as he just doesn't work) and I'm back to including Snoke.

The final battle will actually take place on Starkiller Base which will mix TRoS climax, a bit TLJ's Resistance fleet being chased, TFA's climax, and the Death Star battle. Still mashing it all together but the idea is Leia is the one who pulls the Holdo maneuver and the rising fleet out of the water was a trap... still not sure how to spell that out on screen. This might mean that Han survives the whole movie as he helps take out the shields on Starkiller Base. We'll see.

I think I'm going to abandon my Rey Solo idea, it might not be needed at all. Other changes I'm pondering are the wayfinder might be a Jedi wayfinder for finding Luke. The map that everyone is after is the location of Starkiller base. Again, these are just ideas so I'm not entirely sure how to execute them just yet. 
 
Masirimso17 said:
In that case a version of that to see would be preferable. I’m interested in your edit but can hardly sit through TRoS anymore ? the version with all that cut could help. Although after struggling with watching Peregrine’s edit which doesn’t even have Kijimi/Chewie rescue I have doubts (no fault to the editor at all, the original movie just sucks that much for me).

Alright, I'll get it online but it still very rough! Kind of embarrassed to show it really...  :p
 
greenturnedblue said:
I just wish the Ochi/Luke and Lando searching for the artifact or whatever, was set up in one of the other movies. There are almost a dozen other movies yet they had to wait til the last movie to introduce it. Look at the Harry Potters for example, from the second movie the horcruxes are set up and are the common element weaving the movies together. If episode 8 had Luke explaining to Rey he and Lando were hunting Ochi but the trail went cold, then she tracks Lando down at the end of 8, then in episode 9 she and Lando could pick the trail back up together instead of cramming it all into one movie

I also wish they called him "Darth Sidious" and not palpatine

Agreed! I think this was needed or at least have Rey use one of the Jedi texts in some way... I don't know how Luke's journal got mixed in with the tetxs...
 

Zarius

Well-known member
Faneditor
Messages
5,958
Reaction score
134
Trophy Points
103
subjectzero said:
Alright, been poking around with a new edit and am just starting to rough some things in. Currently, my idea is to edit the 3-in-1 backwards from the climax and try to fit everything together so it all follows a logical progression. So far, I've removed Palpatine entirely (as he just doesn't work) and I'm back to including Snoke.

The final battle will actually take place on Starkiller Base which will mix TRoS climax, a bit TLJ's Resistance fleet being chased, TFA's climax, and the Death Star battle. Still mashing it all together but the idea is Leia is the one who pulls the Holdo maneuver and the rising fleet out of the water was a trap... still not sure how to spell that out on screen. This might mean that Han survives the whole movie as he helps take out the shields on Starkiller Base. We'll see.

I think I'm going to abandon my Rey Solo idea, it might not be needed at all. Other changes I'm pondering are the wayfinder might be a Jedi wayfinder for finding Luke. The map that everyone is after is the location of Starkiller base. Again, these are just ideas so I'm not entirely sure how to execute them just yet. 
 
Masirimso17 said:
In that case a version of that to see would be preferable. I’m interested in your edit but can hardly sit through TRoS anymore ? the version with all that cut could help. Although after struggling with watching Peregrine’s edit which doesn’t even have Kijimi/Chewie rescue I have doubts (no fault to the editor at all, the original movie just sucks that much for me).

Alright, I'll get it online but it still very rough! Kind of embarrassed to show it really...  :p
 
greenturnedblue said:
I just wish the Ochi/Luke and Lando searching for the artifact or whatever, was set up in one of the other movies. There are almost a dozen other movies yet they had to wait til the last movie to introduce it. Look at the Harry Potters for example, from the second movie the horcruxes are set up and are the common element weaving the movies together. If episode 8 had Luke explaining to Rey he and Lando were hunting Ochi but the trail went cold, then she tracks Lando down at the end of 8, then in episode 9 she and Lando could pick the trail back up together instead of cramming it all into one movie

I also wish they called him "Darth Sidious" and not palpatine

Agreed! I think this was needed or at least have Rey use one of the Jedi texts in some way... I don't know how Luke's journal got mixed in with the tetxs...

Don't be so concerned about submitting rough drafts to people m y friend, my Spider-Man 4 edit is in appalling shape right now, but I still intend to make the current cut available just to get a 'feel' for how the story is going. Quality at this stage is second to that, story is crucial.
 

subjectzero

Well-known member
Faneditor
Messages
262
Reaction score
64
Trophy Points
48
Zarius said:
Don't be so concerned about submitting rough drafts to people m y friend, my Spider-Man 4 edit is in appalling shape right now, but I still intend to make the current cut available just to get a 'feel' for how the story is going. Quality at this stage is second to that, story is crucial.

Well... I've completely abandoned that version and starting from scratch so it'll be a very very different edit.
 

mrbenja0618

Well-known member
Messages
828
Reaction score
8
Trophy Points
23
Just nudging because this has been my favorite project for some time.
 

subjectzero

Well-known member
Faneditor
Messages
262
Reaction score
64
Trophy Points
48
I have put this project on hiatus, for the time being. I'm switching computers, having a few issues with hard drives, and the sequel trilogy is a bastard to fix. I'll get back to this as soon as I sort everything out!
 
mrbenja0618 said:
Just nudging because this has been my favorite project for some time.
 

hothstation

Well-known member
Messages
153
Reaction score
5
Trophy Points
23
subjectzero said:
I have put this project on hiatus, for the time being. I'm switching computers, having a few issues with hard drives, and the sequel trilogy is a bastard to fix. I'll get back to this as soon as I sort everything out!
 
mrbenja0618 said:
Just nudging because this has been my favorite project for some time.

Thanks for the update; I am sure fixing the sequel trilogy is a highly difficult endeavor.
 

subjectzero

Well-known member
Faneditor
Messages
262
Reaction score
64
Trophy Points
48
Working a bit on this project. The current plan is to try and cut out Han, Luke, and Leia which is pretty ambitious (if you ask me). One of the current experiments I'm working on is making the Canto Bight storyline relevant. Right now, the idea is that they infiltrate Starkiller Base (as the ending of TFA is now the end of the 3-in-1) but I'm having a hard time working around the explosion that cracks the oscillator open. Right now, I have it that BB-8 is running amuck and overloads the device, making it explode. I've made a very rough edit of it and was wondering if anyone wanted to tell me whether this works or not.
 

Zarius

Well-known member
Faneditor
Messages
5,958
Reaction score
134
Trophy Points
103
Working a bit on this project. The current plan is to try and cut out Han, Luke, and Leia which is pretty ambitious (if you ask me). One of the current experiments I'm working on is making the Canto Bight storyline relevant. Right now, the idea is that they infiltrate Starkiller Base (as the ending of TFA is now the end of the 3-in-1) but I'm having a hard time working around the explosion that cracks the oscillator open. Right now, I have it that BB-8 is running amuck and overloads the device, making it explode. I've made a very rough edit of it and was wondering if anyone wanted to tell me whether this works or not.
I'll give it a look if you want.
 

Zarius

Well-known member
Faneditor
Messages
5,958
Reaction score
134
Trophy Points
103
@subjectzero , Oh I like that, I really like that. Barely even a sign of no work other than a few hard gaps, but the concept is sound, for extra cheese you could have a computer voice saying "warning: overload"

As always, you're coming up with very nifty out-of-box ideas with this super 3-in-1.
 

subjectzero

Well-known member
Faneditor
Messages
262
Reaction score
64
Trophy Points
48
Awesome! Glad that one worked! I thought it did but sometimes what I think is obvious isn't LOL.

Still a lot to figure out such recutting the Canto Bight mission briefing. Just testing little things here and there and seeing if they work.
 

hothstation

Well-known member
Messages
153
Reaction score
5
Trophy Points
23
Awesome! Glad that one worked! I thought it did but sometimes what I think is obvious isn't LOL.

Still a lot to figure out such recutting the Canto Bight mission briefing. Just testing little things here and there and seeing if they work.
Thank you for the share and update!
 

subjectzero

Well-known member
Faneditor
Messages
262
Reaction score
64
Trophy Points
48
Still experimenting with plot points. Here's another rough edit with my new idea of "Kylo is a kreepy ex boyfriend"

pass: fanedit.org

I don't know exactly what I'm going to do with this or where it's going to go in the final film, but I think I can craft a narrative around them having been in a relationship before he fell to the dark side.
 

Jrzag42

Well-known member
Faneditor
Messages
2,740
Reaction score
120
Trophy Points
88
I hate "Reylo" normally, but framing it as a past relationship is very interesting, the clip you posted works well enough. I'm really fascinated by your ideas for this sequel edit, I'm looking forward to hearing more about it
 

subjectzero

Well-known member
Faneditor
Messages
262
Reaction score
64
Trophy Points
48
Somebody needs to write the steamy romantic prequel...
I'd be surprised if someone hasn't already written that...
I hate "Reylo" normally, but framing it as a past relationship is very interesting, the clip you posted works well enough. I'm really fascinated by your ideas for this sequel edit, I'm looking forward to hearing more about it
I hate Reylo too but if I'm cutting out the OT characters, I feel like I need a personal connection between the two of them. It was either going to be siblings or this but I think this might work better since there's footage of the infamous kiss I can use in flashbacks and visions.
 

subjectzero

Well-known member
Faneditor
Messages
262
Reaction score
64
Trophy Points
48
HA! I think I got it! How to really spell out who Rey is to the audience! It's not perfect, but it's good enough I hope!

pass: fanedit.org

(edit: this version is much better than the previous)
 
Top Bottom