• Most new users don't bother reading our rules. Here's the one that is ignored almost immediately upon signup: DO NOT ASK FOR FANEDIT LINKS PUBLICLY. First, read the FAQ. Seriously. What you want is there. You can also send a message to the editor. If that doesn't work THEN post in the Trade & Request forum. Anywhere else and it will be deleted and an infraction will be issued.
  • If this is your first time here please read our FAQ and Rules pages. They have some useful information that will get us all off on the right foot, especially our Own the Source rule. If you do not understand any of these rules send a private message to one of our staff for further details.
  • Please read our Rules & Guidelines

Star Wars Abridged — 9 films cut to 3 (new preview for sequel 3-in-1 available)

stferguson78

Donor
Reaction score
Trophy Points
subjectzero said:
Alright, here's a rough edit! And I mean rough!

In my sequel trilogy 3-in-1, I'm replacing Starkiller base with the Final Order star destroyers. I've also moved the capital of the New Republic from the Hosnian system to Kijimi so it's actually Palpatine who destroys the capital rather than the first order. I also wanted a bit more detail on the fleet being destroyed so I used clips from a variety of places.

Pass: fanedit.org

Wow, rough is definitely not the word I’d use! Nice work

Zarius

Faneditor
Reaction score
Trophy Points
subjectzero said:
LOL! I think it can be refined a bit more is all.

Zarius said:
That was  meant to be rough? :)
Everyone's their own critic I guess. I can relate.

Still, that is very interesting work to say the least, it shows how easily rearrangable most of the ST scenes and set pieces are.

subjectzero

Faneditor
Reaction score
Trophy Points
I'm hoping to get a lot more work done on this today! I'm about 2/3rds the way through doing the bulk of the work on the original trilogy 3-in-1 and hope to wrap it up by the end of today. That will only leave the sequel trilogy to finish which actually requires some extensive effects work.

My Babylon 5 series has had all of its major work done so at this point it's just technical edits and minor refinements. But there are still 8 more films left to complete so it's still taking up the lion's share of my time. Still, Star Wars is the only fan edit I'm currently working on so it is coming along.

subjectzero

Faneditor
Reaction score
Trophy Points
I have completed my major edits for Star Wars Abridged II: The Rebellion! I'm going to output it in the next few days in order to begin the process of going over it for technical edits. If anyone wants to watch it, just drop me a PM and I'll send it when its ready!

The film clocks in at 3 hours and 39 minutes so it's much longer than the prequel trilogy 3-in-1 by a wide margin. I probably won't start doing the technical edits for a while as I want to hone the sequel trilogy 3-in-1 which requires quite a bit of work first. After that, I'll go back to the prequel trilogy 3-in-1 and finalize it.

hothstation

Reaction score
Trophy Points
subjectzero said:
I have completed my major edits for Star Wars Abridged II: The Rebellion! I'm going to output it in the next few days in order to begin the process of going over it for technical edits. If anyone wants to watch it, just drop me a PM and I'll send it when its ready!

The film clocks in at 3 hours and 39 minutes so it's much longer than the prequel trilogy 3-in-1 by a wide margin. I probably won't start doing the technical edits for a while as I want to hone the sequel trilogy 3-in-1 which requires quite a bit of work first. After that, I'll go back to the prequel trilogy 3-in-1 and finalize it.

Awesome! I would love to see this once you have it prepared.

Zarius

Faneditor
Reaction score
Trophy Points
I am very interested in the Rebellion edit, sign me up for a preview too :)

Zarius

Faneditor
Reaction score
Trophy Points
I just got done watching the Rebellion portion of this project...a big thanks to @"subjectzero"  for letting me preview it.

There are a lot of surprises in this film, some ideas I've seen in prior edits, and some that are unique specifically to this edit, and they really serve a function...this being a 3-in-1 of the original trilogy, the goal is to keep the focus tight on the original characters that we've come to know and grow up with, without any unwanted distractions and side-ways plots that would be impossible to fit even into a three hour cut.

Subject succeeds at this, and he also demonstrates a refreshing knack for scene rearrangement that serves the structure of his edit, he hits all the essential beats of the trilogy, particularly as we near the final fourty or so minutes, and there's great banter and fun had along the way thanks in part to the rearranged sequences. There's one scene with Han, Luke, Leia and the rest at this point that works so well within the context of where it's placed now, if Empire Strikes Back had ended the way Subject has arranged it here, you really would not be able to tell the scene comes from much, much earlier in the movie.

There are still a few hurdles, particularly with the music cues, sometimes they bleed over one another to help ease us into a transition or readies us for a cross fade effect, or they come crashing in when we have a swipe. 

The ending I also feel is incredibly rushed, on one hand we know the trilogy isn't over so it should not feel too 'complete' but at the same time, it's a major victory for the good guys but there is no room for proper celebration due to certain elements that was cut, all we get really is sombre reflection...and then it's straight to buisness. Yoda's voice over also is slightly lower-pitched at the end and I can't make out what he's saying. I do like the new ending scene though

And, lastly, at 02:52:58, I caught a frame or two in between of cut scenes that flashes on the screen for a bit. Definitely sort it out.

subjectzero

Faneditor
Reaction score
Trophy Points
Thanks for those kind words! Sound is definitely not my forte but hopefully I'll be able to smooth that stuff down. In some cases, I know it will be impossible because there are music cues are on the center track but I'll do my best to smooth it out. I know it won't be perfect but I'll try my best. And thanks for catching that extra frame! Pesky things always turn up on me...

I do agree with you on the ending but I wanted to see if it would pass muster as it was... I was wrong! I'm going to see if I can perhaps fit in the medal ceremony from ANH. I tried using it as the final scene before but scrapped it for the current one. I should be able to somehow slot it in there. I did also want to do a bit more work on Yoda's line... I have an idea and hope it'll work!

Thanks again!

subjectzero

Faneditor
Reaction score
Trophy Points
Oh, @"Zarius" did you catch the mid-credit scene?

Zarius

Faneditor
Reaction score
Trophy Points
subjectzero said:
Oh, @"Zarius" did you catch the mid-credit scene?

Just caught it on another rewatch...great set up for the third in your trilogy, and makes it much clearer why the ending focused on something falling away from the final battle.

hothstation

Reaction score
Trophy Points
Zarius said:
I just got done watching the Rebellion portion of this project...a big thanks to @"subjectzero"  for letting me preview it.

There are a lot of surprises in this film, some ideas I've seen in prior edits, and some that are unique specifically to this edit, and they really serve a function...this being a 3-in-1 of the original trilogy, the goal is to keep the focus tight on the original characters that we've come to know and grow up with, without any unwanted distractions and side-ways plots that would be impossible to fit even into a three hour cut.

Subject succeeds at this, and he also demonstrates a refreshing knack for scene rearrangement that serves the structure of his edit, he hits all the essential beats of the trilogy, particularly as we near the final fourty or so minutes, and there's great banter and fun had along the way thanks in part to the rearranged sequences. There's one scene with Han, Luke, Leia and the rest at this point that works so well within the context of where it's placed now, if Empire Strikes Back had ended the way Subject has arranged it here, you really would not be able to tell the scene comes from much, much earlier in the movie.

There are still a few hurdles, particularly with the music cues, sometimes they bleed over one another to help ease us into a transition or readies us for a cross fade effect, or they come crashing in when we have a swipe. 

The ending I also feel is incredibly rushed, on one hand we know the trilogy isn't over so it should not feel too 'complete' but at the same time, it's a major victory for the good guys but there is no room for proper celebration due to certain elements that was cut, all we get really is sombre reflection...and then it's straight to buisness. Yoda's voice over also is slightly lower-pitched at the end and I can't make out what he's saying. I do like the new ending scene though

And, lastly, at 02:52:58, I caught a frame or two in between of cut scenes that flashes on the screen for a bit. Definitely sort it out.

Thank you for your thoughts, Zarius. Subjectzero was kind enough to forward this to me as well, and I will be watching it soon. I am truly looking forward to it!

subjectzero

Faneditor
Reaction score
Trophy Points
Short update! I'm slowly plodding my way through Abridged 3 and it's pretty slow going as it still needs a lot of work. I'm currently 2/3rds the way through massaging the edit points and trying to dream up the addition of a few more bits so I'm on the fence of whether I should release this WIP. It'll be the roughest edit but I'd also like to know if the story works.

hothstation

Reaction score
Trophy Points
subjectzero said:
Short update! I'm slowly plodding my way through Abridged 3 and it's pretty slow going as it still needs a lot of work. I'm currently 2/3rds the way through massaging the edit points and trying to dream up the addition of a few more bits so I'm on the fence of whether I should release this WIP. It'll be the roughest edit but I'd also like to know if the story works.

Thanks for the update; I am sure there are many of us looking forward to seeing your finished product!

mrbenja0618

Reaction score
Trophy Points
I would love to preview anything you have.

These look really interesting!

subjectzero

Faneditor
Reaction score
Trophy Points
Still making my way through this. I finished my Babylon 5 Project edits so Star Wars is taking all of my free fan-editing time. I'm currently doing a lot of rotoscoping work when Han and Kylo meet again in Episode 9 so I'm approaching the climax of the movie. I went back and forth regarding the look of this scene so it's been quite a bit of work but I finally got it to look the way that I wanted. Fortunately, this is the last major compositing hurdle so when it's done, it should be smooth sailing all the way to the end.

subjectzero

Faneditor
Reaction score
Trophy Points
I've completed a version of the sequel trilogy 3-in-1. It's been such a pain in the ass to get to this point I don't even want to watch it... but I assume some of you might want to so... anyone want to get a copy when I'm done outputting it with the understanding that I'm sharing it sight unseen?

Zarius

Faneditor
Reaction score
Trophy Points
Sign me up, I'll be your eyes and ears :)

Jrzag42

Faneditor
Reaction score
Trophy Points
just+hook+it+to+my+veins.gif

(That is to say, I'm interested)

hothstation

Reaction score
Trophy Points
subjectzero said:
I've completed a version of the sequel trilogy 3-in-1. It's been such a pain in the ass to get to this point I don't even want to watch it... but I assume some of you might want to so... anyone want to get a copy when I'm done outputting it with the understanding that I'm sharing it sight unseen?
Please put me on the official list, kind sir! Thank you in advance.

Top Bottom