• Most new users don't bother reading our rules. Here's the one that is ignored almost immediately upon signup: DO NOT ASK FOR FANEDIT LINKS PUBLICLY. First, read the FAQ. Seriously. What you want is there. You can also send a message to the editor. If that doesn't work THEN post in the Trade & Request forum. Anywhere else and it will be deleted and an infraction will be issued.
  • If this is your first time here please read our FAQ and Rules pages. They have some useful information that will get us all off on the right foot, especially our Own the Source rule. If you do not understand any of these rules send a private message to one of our staff for further details.
  • Please read our Rules & Guidelines

Star Wars: A New Hope- The Darklighter Cut

Bobson Dugnutt

Faneditor
Reaction score
Trophy Points
sH2g6Jy.png

A basic edit of A New Hope to include the deleted Biggs Darklighter scene back to where they originally were in the fourth draft shooting script. The scenes are pretty dirty and as I have no clue on how to clean them up, I'll dirty the main source to match them. The main source itself is the Silver Screen Edition 1.6, which will eventually be degraded somehow. Suggestions on how to do that are welcome. 

Gxq8m3t.png

CUTLIST:
- Added Luke working on a mosture evaporator and seeing the Tatntive IV being boarded 
- Added Luke almost running over an old lady in Anchorhead on his way to the Tosche Station
- Added Luke and his friends at the station and him showing the battle, which they dismiss
- Added Luke and Biggs talking about joining the rebellion
- Added extended version of Red Leader talking about Luke's father
- Added Luke saying "Biggs? BIGGS!" over the radio after he gets shot down. This was in Adywan's Revisted. I assume he got it from the radio drama. 

Here with the old lady scene, I masked out the landspeeder from the approch to Mos Eisley, took out R2 and C-3PO and placed it over the scene. I think it needs her saying something, probably just some angry gibberish, but anything will do. 

Bobson Dugnutt

Faneditor
Reaction score
Trophy Points
Another clip showing the transition into Biggs and Luke talking outside of the Toche Station with a line from the radio drama and a shot from The Making of Star Wars. I’ll eventually replace it when the documentary is scanned from the 16mm by Poita on OT, but for now it’ll do

TomH1138

Reaction score
Trophy Points
Fun idea!

As for that first scene -- Luke working on a moisture evaporator and seeing the Tantive IV being boarded -- does a version of that scene exist that isn't in black-and-white? The only version of that scene I've encountered is very rough, from the 1996 CD-ROM "Deleted Magic." (I think Garrett Gilchrist also included that in his documentary of the same name.)

As much as I like the scene, it might be in too bad of shape to include, and I wouldn't want you to have to bring down the whole quality of your edit just for that one scene.

But, then, maybe there are better sources out there than what I've seen. I've never seen the clip with the old lady before either.

moviefan95

Reaction score
Trophy Points
Does this use the theatrical version as a starting point, or one of the "special editions?"

Edit: Never mind. You stated it in the first post. It's the Silver Screen Edition.

Moe_Syzlak

Reaction score
Trophy Points
Don’t take this as a criticism of the edit idea as I’m looking forward to checking it out. But the two major editorial changes that, reportedly, Marcia Lucas, Hirsch, and Chew were responsible for were the axing of the early Luke stuff and the manufacturing of the ticking clock element for the final battle. Those two changes probably saved the movie IMO. I’m not sure we’d still be talking about Star Wars without those changes. It might be interesting to see if the ticking clock could be removed for an anti-editors alternative edit. 

P.S. this is not a GL criticism as sometimes seen when discussing the editing. He agreed with these edits and editing is a normal part of the filmmaking process.

Bobson Dugnutt

Faneditor
Reaction score
Trophy Points
TomH1138 said:
Fun idea!

As for that first scene -- Luke working on a moisture evaporator and seeing the Tantive IV being boarded -- does a version of that scene exist that isn't in black-and-white? The only version of that scene I've encountered is very rough, from the 1996 CD-ROM "Deleted Magic." (I think Garrett Gilchrist also included that in his documentary of the same name.)

The CD-Rom was called "Behind the Magic" and the documentary was called "Deleted Magic". People often get them confused from what I've seen. But It's great I dont have to use that 14fps B/W silent version beacuse it was included on the Blu-Ray, but in still rough shape although I have tried to get the colours looking better. 

Moe_Syzlak said:
Don’t take this as a criticism of the edit idea as I’m looking forward to checking it out. But the two major editorial changes that, reportedly, Marcia Lucas, Hirsch, and Chew were responsible for were the axing of the early Luke stuff and the manufacturing of the ticking clock element for the final battle. Those two changes probably saved the movie IMO. I’m not sure we’d still be talking about Star Wars without those changes. It might be interesting to see if the ticking clock could be removed for an anti-editors alternative edit. 

P.S. this is not a GL criticism as sometimes seen when discussing the editing. He agreed with these edits and editing is a normal part of the filmmaking process.

I saw that Garrett Gilchrist recreated this in his Deleted Magic documentary and he did it quite well. I could replicate it here and I imagine it'd be pretty simple to just remove the various voiceovers, but we'll see.

Moe_Syzlak

Reaction score
Trophy Points
Bobson Dugnutt said:
TomH1138 said:
Fun idea!

The CD-Rom was called "Behind the Magic" and the documentary was called "Deleted Magic". People often get them confused from what I've seen. But It's great I dont have to use that 14fps B/W silent version beacuse it was included on the Blu-Ray, but in still rough shape although I have tried to get the colours looking better. 

Moe_Syzlak said:

I saw that Garrett Gilchrist recreated this in his Deleted Magic documentary and he did it quite well. I could replicate it here and I imagine it'd be pretty simple to just remove the various voiceovers, but we'll see.

I could be wrong, but I thought the entire threat to the Rebel base was manufactured in editing. The trench battle all happened in some unnamed part of space. And they used alternate takes of the Alderan attack to have the Death Star preparing to fire.

Bobson Dugnutt

Faneditor
Reaction score
Trophy Points
Moe_Syzlak said:
I could be wrong, but I thought the entire threat to the Rebel base was manufactured in editing. The trench battle all happened in some unnamed part of space. And they used alternate takes of the Alderan attack to have the Death Star preparing to fire.

No you're completely right, it was originally shot as them just attacking the Death Star with no immediate threat looming over. It was made in editing with insert shots and off-screen dialogue indicating that they were about to fire. It's masterfully done, and it'd be interesting to completely undo all that tension.

Crimson713

Reaction score
Trophy Points
Man, you continue to impress. This is an incredible concept, I'm really looking forward to what you've got cooking on this one.

Bobson Dugnutt

Faneditor
Reaction score
Trophy Points
Crimson713 said:
Man, you continue to impress. This is an incredible concept, I'm really looking forward to what you've got cooking on this one.

heathen3017 said:
Include me on looking forward to seeing this!

Thanks for the encouragment, it helps me to stay motivated to continue work

Here's an updated clip of Luke's approch to Anchorhead and the Toche Station scene

Bobson Dugnutt

Faneditor
Reaction score
Trophy Points
And here is the extended Biggs reunion in the Yavin IV hanger. I’ve combined the 2011 Blu-Ray version with the deleted segment by adding an extra walk by to cover the cut. I’ve also regraded both shots to match the SSE with great sucess.

TomH1138

Reaction score
Trophy Points
Bobson Dugnutt said:

Thanks for the correction! This is looking really good.

Crimson713

Reaction score
Trophy Points
The extended hangar scene looks great! There's a frame or two after the second walkthrough where the word "alright" looks out of sync with the audio, but other than that you've nailed it. If you can push that audio forward a little, I think that'll eliminate the issue completely.

Bobson Dugnutt

Faneditor
Reaction score
Trophy Points
Here's the updated version with the audio sync fixed and the 2nd guy to walk past is now changed to an X-Wing pilot. I think he might stand out too much, but let me know what you think

And here is Luke crying out Biggs' name after his death as taken from the Radio Drama

Crimson713

Reaction score
Trophy Points
I think if the X-wing pilot were lit a little darker it would work real well. He sticks out a little in the foreground because the previous walkthrough was darker, and his suit is a brighter orange than Biggs and Luke. The audio sync looks perfect! Excellent work on the transition there. 

And the second clip is fantastic, I love how you've incorporated that audio. It really strengthens the character to see an emotional reaction like that, especially after the hangar reunion.

TheUltimate

Faneditor
Reaction score
Trophy Points
Did some digging. I found a youtuber named Sky Shazad who created a cleaned up version of the Tosche Station sequence. Maybe he could help? Here is the video I found: http://https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=23qor8CQJGQ[/video].

Bobson Dugnutt

Faneditor
Reaction score
Trophy Points
TheUltimate said:
Did some digging. I found a youtuber named Sky Shazad who created a cleaned up version of the Tosche Station sequence. Maybe he could help?

The same guy has posted on OT.com about it and hasn't done much about updated or releasing it since May. I'd love to use it none-the-less.

Here's another update to the X-Wing pilot walking past, this time he's been darkened to match more with the first guy. 

And if anyone is interested in how vastly different this is compared to the 2011 SE version, here's a comparison

RAJtO44.jpg

gUTq36c.jpg

Crimson713

Reaction score
Trophy Points
That looks great! Much more natural and the colors are great!

Top Bottom