• Most new users don't bother reading our rules. Here's the one that is ignored almost immediately upon signup: DO NOT ASK FOR FANEDIT LINKS PUBLICLY. First, read the FAQ. Seriously. What you want is there. You can also send a message to the editor. If that doesn't work THEN post in the Trade & Request forum. Anywhere else and it will be deleted and an infraction will be issued.
  • If this is your first time here please read our FAQ and Rules pages. They have some useful information that will get us all off on the right foot, especially our Own the Source rule. If you do not understand any of these rules send a private message to one of our staff for further details.
  • Please read our Rules & Guidelines

Read BEFORE posting Trades & Request

Star Trek VGER Version 2

bionicbob

Donor
Faneditor
Reaction score
Trophy Points
THE SECOND FIVE YEAR MISSION BEGINS...

An Unknown Entity of uncalculable destructive power is on a direct course for the Planet Earth!

CAPTAIN KIRK, along with his new First Officer COMMANDER DECKER, must lead the crew of the newly refitted ENTERPRISE on a dangerous mission to intercept the alien intruder and determine it's true purpose.

Along the way, they are joined by the enigmatic MR. SPOCK, who offers to assist them in their mission. But what is SPOCK's real agenda and can he be trusted?

Together, they embark on an adventure that will have unforeseen and long lasting consquences for not only EARTH, but the entire GALAXY!

tagline: "Infinite Diversity in Infinite Combinations"

Basic details:
original film names: STAR TREK THE MOTION PICTURE The Director's Edition
Star Trek The Next Generation "Best of Both Worlds" parts 1&2
new film name : STAR TREK "The V'GER Incident"
film studio name : Paramount Pictures
edit crew name : Bionic Bob
persons involved: Me
Date Original Film Was Released : Theatrical Release 1979, DVD Director's Edition 2001
Date Edit Was Released : May 2010
Original Runtime : 143 min
New Runtime : 80 mins

Fanedit details:
Intention: 1. Inject some classic TOS energy into movie
2. Shift the story focus away from Decker and back onto Kirk and Spock

Editing Details:
Used iMac 10.5, Mac the Ripper, MPEG Streamclip, Final Cut Express, GarageBand, and iDVD

Cuts removed/added/extended (add list of what was changed):
--restuctured intro of V'GER from Space Station POV
--created new opening credits in style of the Original Series
--deleted the Vulcan sequence except for a brief flashback cameo
--removed sequence of Kirk taking back command of the Enterprise
--greatly truncated Enterprise's jouney to intercept V'GER
--downplayed the Decker/Illia romance
--added footage from Next Generation
--added lots of music from all the various Trek series
--edited scenes in the style of TOS with dramatic fade to blacks and classic music cues
--created new closing credits

COMING VERY VERY SOON....

Last edited:
Sounds very interesting, and the film could certainly benefit from a lot of tweaking for pacing issues. I'm curious, though -- how does Next Generation fit in?

hebrides said:
Sounds very interesting, and the film could certainly benefit from a lot of tweaking for pacing issues. I'm curious, though -- how does Next Generation fit in?

That is a surprise! You will have to watch to find out.... :smile:

TMP has not aged well in the last 20plus years. It still holds a fond spot in my heart, but even I, an avid Trekker, find it difficult to sit through the whole movie in one viewing.

My main goal was to inject some energy back into this very tired picture. Firstly, I tried to speed up the pace of movie. This was done a couple of ways, through trimming or of rearranging scenes to adding some much needed "action" music. Secondly, I have attempted to cut in the style of the original series... opening teaser, new credits, following by a series of acts with dramatic fade to blacks accompanied by classic music cues.

But my biggest objective was to try to redeem KIRK's character. I don't know about you, but when I watch TMP, Kirk often comes across as either as a total ass or as incompetent. I don't know if director Robert Wise didn't like Shatner or just did not understand Star Trek, but his portrayal of Kirk is less than appealling. It more of a Decker movie, than a Kirk movie.

So in this version, Kirk is clearly the Captain (there is no mention of being an Admiral) and Decker is his First Officer. I cut more than a dozen "hero" shots of Decker, and have recut it so Kirk is clearly appears to be in command and not always second guessing himself. Sure, Kirk still makes mistakes, but they are type of mistakes that go along with any dangerous mission, not the mistakes of an incompetent officer. He is CAPTAIN KIRK! Youngest Captain in Starfleet history. The only Captain to successfully complete a Five Year Mission!!! He is many things... but he is not fool.

I will provide more information in the following days....

Hopefully I will have a Trailer up tomorrow.

Stay tuned!

My guess is that the being that V'ger evolved into with Decker and Illia is somehow connected to the Borg?

I'm guessing it's special effects footage, but I could be wrong. Very interesting project. Looking forward to hearing more about it. :)

Trailer now on Youtube.

Don't why the quality looks so bad on Youtube, trust me looks alot better on the actual DVD :)

"]

Hopefully tomorrow I will post the first Five Minutes of the movie to give everyone a clear idea of the type of edit I am attempting.

Looks good to me, bob. It was probably just buffering or something. I like hearing the classic music. :)

One thing I always found odd about TMP was how stinkin' dark the bridge scenes were! Did they do that to try and hide the wrinkles the actors had acquired since TOS or what? :razz: And to try and artificially brighten it would just look bad, I'm sure. Oh well.

The bridge REAKS of the 1970s. Everything is earth tones and heavy shadows. I half-expect to see a bowl for keys by the turbolift, some philodendrons and a few candles. Thankfully they found some lights for STII

Ripplin said:
Looks good to me, bob. It was probably just buffering or something. I like hearing the classic music. :)

One thing I always found odd about TMP was how stinkin' dark the bridge scenes were! Did they do that to try and hide the wrinkles the actors had acquired since TOS or what? :razz: And to try and artificially brighten it would just look bad, I'm sure. Oh well.

Yes, TMP is a very dark picture, and I am not talking about the storyline. :lol:

It is definitely a relic of the late 70s filmmaking. It is my impression they were going for a "natural lighting" approach. This combined with lack of colour in both the costumes and set design, has created a very "aged" movie.

Even all the space exteriors shots are done in a "realistic lighting" style, thus the only light source for many of the shots comes from the Enterprise itself, thus making it extremely difficult, if not impossible, to see anything in area surrounding the ship. I actually used some colour correction for some of the exterior shots and VGER interior scenes just because it drove me crazy not to be able to see what was happening on the screen. Hopefully it will not detract from the viewing experience. :smile:

For you viewing pleasure.....

"]

Enjoy! :)

Lookin' good so far. I like the classic feel of it.

The only thing I'd suggest involve the "risk" quote. You don't need the period after "Return to Tomorrow" and instead of using --, use the single, long dash: — (Alt+0151, for example)

I think I second Ripplin's comment about the long dash. I'd also suggest two other small changes:

1. Instead of "Captain James Kirk," perhaps "Captain James T. Kirk" or "Capt. James T. Kirk." The "T' is such an integral part of how he tends to introduce himself...

2. I love the work you've done on the new title sequence, but the title itself stands out as being in the "credits" font rather than the "title" font. Any chance you could make it look more like the "Star Trek" here?

star_trek_font_pack.jpg

Otherwise, very impressive, particularly with the way you've gotten the old sound effects and music to fit in with the new. Looking forward to seeing more! :)

That's true about the T. :)

If you need any fonts, I have tons, including many, many Trek ones.

Thanks for the comments.

Unfortunately, this edit is now done and has been submitted. Should be available in the Firstling section in the next day or so once it is uploaded to RS.

I actually considered using the traditional Trek fonts, but while I wanted to retain the flavour of the original series, I also wanted to move it forward slightly. Same way TNG changed fonts when it premiered.

And you are right, it should have definitely said James T. Kirk..... what was I thinking... (slaps his forehead in disbelief!!!!).. D'oh!

Maybe on the next one.....

Yowza, that was quick! Announced and submitted in a span of less than two days? (unless I missed something...) Well, if you're satisfied with it as submitted, that's what's important. I guess we just figured we'd be able to evaluate and maybe give a few tips/suggestions beforehand. :razz: I'll definitely be downloading it. I haven't approved one in a long time, but I hope I will be able to in this case. (and it can be approved by more than one person, of course)

Keeping my fingers crossed.... :smile:

Here's another little clip from my VGER edit:

"]

Main changes:
--Cut two of three Kirk's "Indecision" shots
--Used Captain's Log to transition scenes
--added classic bridge background sounds
--trimmed conversatation with Scotty
--removed McCoy giving Kirk advice
--tightened and restructured wormhole sequence, so it makes Kirk look more in command
and the crew is responding to his orders
--added some action music to increase dramatic effect

Enjoy! :)

Might have a look at this, if I find some time over. This 'work' thing has really changed a lot of things! This movie could do with some extra tweaks, though I do like it as it is (and for what it was).

L8wrtr said:
The bridge REAKS of the 1970s. Everything is earth tones and heavy shadows. I half-expect to see a bowl for keys by the turbolift, some philodendrons and a few candles. Thankfully they found some lights for STII

It's a shame one couldn't go back and recolor the earth-tone uniforms so they looked more with TOS uniform hues, or even color them more as a precursor to the uniforms seen in Wrath of Khan onwards.
But in reality it isn't that such a thing cannot be done- but that it would be so time consuming that it wouldn't be worth redoing.

If time and resources we not an option, I'd leave the Admiral uniform and the casual white "T-Shirt" untouched. The engineering haz-mat suits and security officers armor are carried over to the other movies. I'd try to give them back black pants and boots.

So long as I'm dreaming I'd also like a pony.

Back
Top Bottom