• Most new users don't bother reading our rules. Here's the one that is ignored almost immediately upon signup: DO NOT ASK FOR FANEDIT LINKS PUBLICLY. First, read the FAQ. Seriously. What you want is there. You can also send a message to the editor. If that doesn't work THEN post in the Trade & Request forum. Anywhere else and it will be deleted and an infraction will be issued.
  • If this is your first time here please read our FAQ and Rules pages. They have some useful information that will get us all off on the right foot, especially our Own the Source rule. If you do not understand any of these rules send a private message to one of our staff for further details.
  • Please read our Rules & Guidelines

Star Trek Vengeance (TM2YC FanFix of Into Darkness)

DigModiFicaTion

DᴉმWoqᴉԷᴉcɑꓕᴉou
Staff member
Faneditor
Reaction score
Trophy Points
asterixsmeagol said:
FunEditor said:
... has anyone completed a fanedit of STID where Cumberbatch IS NOT KHAN? It would be good to see him as a genuine rogue Starfleet Officer opposing a militarised Starfleet.
This is my greatest wish.

I might attempt this in a year or so.

TV's Frink

You Catch On Pretty Quick
Staff member
Donor
Faneditor
Reaction score
Trophy Points
Just a reminder that this thread is meant for discussing this particular edit.  If you want to see something different look for (or start) an ideas thread.

ssj

Donor
Faneditor
Reaction score
Trophy Points
Partway through, but I mussay, I'm enjoying this considerably more than I did the original. Noss jorb, tm2yc!

Amok

Reaction score
Trophy Points
Ohhh where can I get this? Is info no longer updated?

TM2YC

Take Me To Your Cinema
Staff member
Donor
Faneditor
Reaction score
Trophy Points
Amok said:
Ohhh where can I get this? Is info no longer updated?

I don't think so no. Have you tried sending the editor a private-message? ;)

thecuddlyninja

Staff member
Faneditor
Reaction score
Trophy Points
Review from IFDB:

An excellent effort by TM2YC. I hadn't revisited the theatrical cut of this film since it first came out on video. I liked it okay but never really felt compelled to revisit it. Thanks to this fanedit, it has been improved a lot in my opinion.

A/V Quality - 10/10 - Looked spectacular, just as good my BD to my eye. Using the IMAX version was really smart and added grander scale to some shots.
Visual Editing - 10/10 - No noticeable cuts to me. It wasn't just that stuff was excised, it's that shots were repurposed and used for different effect. The Kirk/Spock argument was a great example of this, as well as the bar scene. Glancing at the cutlist after was pretty impressive; there were so many little touches and tweaks that were invisible.
Audio Editing - 10/10 - Everything sounded great. I'm not sure there was a lot changed but the score felt more continuous than I remember. I think the main theme was used a bit more, I think.
Narrative - This is where the edit shines. Khan is still not a great character but his exposition dumps are as limited as can be. Kirk and Spock's relationship tracks a lot better for me. Kirk isn't fired and then given command back right away for no real reason (and in this Kirk's dressing down works much better). Uhura's not a bundle of emotional nerves for no real reason at a time where it makes no real sense. There's no tacked on Vulcan talk and cameo. Carol is a lot less awful. Spock's raging bloodthirst now makes more sense (it's emotional AND logical now. Perfect for a Vulcan.) All of these benefits are basically at the cost of Uhura's role being reduced (sucks but I'd rather have her reduced and with some dignity) and Carol feeling like a walking plot device (that doesn't pay off). But in the original she was basically a walking plot device that doesn't pay off while also stripping and acting terribly. So, the character's big moment didn't play in the original really, either.
Enjoyment - 9/10 - TM2YC has turned a 6.5 for me into a 9. There are some inherent flaws in the script that really can't be changed, but I think the editor improved just about everything that could be improved.

Oh, and I didn't even mention the color grade. Huge improvement for me. It's fascinating what a little vibrancy can do to the tone of a film. I also have a shit eye for colors so take that with a huge grain of salt. :)

TM2YC

Take Me To Your Cinema
Staff member
Donor
Faneditor
Reaction score
Trophy Points
thecuddlyninja said:
All of these benefits are basically at the cost of Uhura's role being reduced (sucks but I'd rather have her reduced and with some dignity)

My feelings exactly. Thankfully Uhura is back to her best in ST:Beyond IMO.

thecuddlyninja said:
Carol feeling like a walking plot device (that doesn't pay off). But in the original she was basically a walking plot device that doesn't pay off while also stripping and acting terribly. So, the character's big moment didn't play in the original really, either.

LOL yes that too. Again they fixed her character in STB... by not having her in it ;)

TM2YC

Take Me To Your Cinema
Staff member
Donor
Faneditor
Reaction score
Trophy Points
I've now added 'Star Trek Vengeance' to Vimeo (720p).

(Password: fanedit.org)

TM2YC

Take Me To Your Cinema
Staff member
Donor
Faneditor
Reaction score
Trophy Points
Thanks for the review @"sydsomagicho" glad you liked the edit.
I think the only issue I have with this edit, which is one I can easily fix myself and its not really that distracting, is that the movie will switch from full screen to wide screen at some points. Im not sure why, as the scenes arent deleted or anything. (Keep in mind Im new to the site so I might have used the wrong file)

ST:V uses the IMAX blu-ray as the main source, which has an unmatted full-widescreen/16:9 aspect-ratio for some shots/scenes. The deleted scenes are also like that (the rest is scope 2.35:1). I don't mind and quite like movies like that such as The Dark Knight etc. It should be easy to correct by dropping the file into a program like Handbrake and setting it to cropp from 1920x1080 to 1920x800.

tumblr_mkul8v9HAt1qheh20o1_1280.jpg

asterixsmeagol

Donor
Faneditor
Reaction score
Trophy Points
TM2YC said:
ST:V uses the IMAX blu-ray as the main source, which has an unmatted full-widescreen/16:9 aspect-ratio for some shots/scenes. The deleted scenes are also like that (the rest is scope 2.35:1). I don't mind and quite like movies like that such as The Dark Knight etc. It should be easy to correct by dropping the file into a program like Handbrake and setting it to cropp from 1920x1080 to 1920x800.

I'm not a fan of changing aspect ratios either, and this was exactly what I did. It was pretty simple.

lapis molari

Better edits through feedback.
Staff member
Donor
Faneditor
Reaction score
Trophy Points
Does anyone have the subtitle file for this Star Trek Into The Darkness - Vengeance edit? I lost a bunch of files on my network drive and this .srt file is one of them.
Please PM me if you have it!

Update: Found 'm! These subtitles were generously made by @turntheradioxoff. See my own subtitles thread.

Last edited:
Top Bottom