• Most new users don't bother reading our rules. Here's the one that is ignored almost immediately upon signup: DO NOT ASK FOR FANEDIT LINKS PUBLICLY. First, read the FAQ. Seriously. What you want is there. You can also send a message to the editor. If that doesn't work THEN post in the Trade & Request forum. Anywhere else and it will be deleted and an infraction will be issued.
  • If this is your first time here please read our FAQ and Rules pages. They have some useful information that will get us all off on the right foot, especially our Own the Source rule. If you do not understand any of these rules send a private message to one of our staff for further details.
  • Please read our Rules & Guidelines

Star Trek Vengeance (TM2YC FanFix of Into Darkness)

ironman23

Faneditor
Reaction score
Trophy Points
Hey, these things (unfortunately) happen, even when we're extra careful :( For me personally, the edit I currently have is still pretty good, so whatever it's replaced with is sure to be an even better cut ;)

P.S. I have to agree, some of that stuff there only adds to impact of the film, visually and emotionally especially with that red shirts death.

DigModiFicaTion

DᴉმWoqᴉԷᴉcɑꓕᴉou
Staff member
Faneditor
Reaction score
Trophy Points
It's interesting that you found it was 3 frames off. My own edit for TFA was exactly 3 frames off as well. Perhaps it's a Sony thing? Like ironman23 said, what you've already produced is pretty spectacular as is :)

TM2YC

Take Me To Your Cinema
Staff member
Donor
Faneditor
Reaction score
Trophy Points
DigModiFicaTion said:
It's interesting that you found it was 3 frames off. My own edit for TFA was exactly 3 frames off as well. Perhaps it's a Sony thing? Like ironman23 said, what you've already produced is pretty spectacular as is :)

No, it was only 3-4 minutes that were off. Probably because I was heavily re-editing the shuttle scene again and again and made a mistake somewhere.

I've now checked the entire project edit-by-edit with the Vegas sync-checker and no other sync issues are present. I've begun re-rendering things. I'm also taking the opportunity to fix two text errors in the trailer that were irritating the hell outta me (It said "iMAX" instead of "IMAX", and "11 minutes cut", instead of "15"). I won't be making any other changes to the edit.

Zarius

Faneditor
Reaction score
Trophy Points
I was wondering why the mp4s were down when I tried to get them today...

Sucks to be off by a fraction, synch problems are why I've been lax on previewing a few ideas lately too :)

Mike Crate

Reaction score
Trophy Points
I noticed the audio sync issue but it passed quickly and being on the mp4 rather than the Blu I let it go but you soon learn that the community are a bunch of perfectionists in the best possible way  ;)
A few fellow Trek fans have asked me about Vengeance so can I assume the corrected version will be available shortly again as the all singing and dancing Blu-ray but also the mp4 ?

TM2YC

Take Me To Your Cinema
Staff member
Donor
Faneditor
Reaction score
Trophy Points
Mike Crate said:
A few fellow Trek fans have asked me about Vengeance so can I assume the corrected version will be available shortly again as the all singing and dancing Blu-ray but also the mp4 ?

That's good to know and yes they will be back soon. The MP4 first, then the blu-ray. Encoding and uploading takes a while.

TM2YC

Take Me To Your Cinema
Staff member
Donor
Faneditor
Reaction score
Trophy Points
Re-synced 720p MP4 is back online (PM me if interested). It's now got...

- The tweaked trailers
- The audio-sync issue fixed (obviously) but edit otherwise the same
- The audio at a higher bitrate (But still under 4GB)
- Added the two nice posters by @"bionicbob" to the artwork package
- Included text-less 4K wallpaper of the fanedit coverart (textless artwork was requested via PM)

The blu-ray is encoding now and if all is well, will be back tomorrow evening sometime. I'm trying to increase the bitrate to squeeze more juice out of a 25GB disc.

While I'm at it, I might do an extra 1080p mp4 (10gb-ish) as well and possibly a standard DVD version, as I know there are some people who still like fanedits in that format.

KumoNin

Reaction score
Trophy Points
Just saw it, loved it. Being the nitpicker that I am though, I'll give you one: The new captain's log scene, imo, would have worked better if you'd kept the end with the 'big deal!' , as it would have kept the comedic transition to the god scene. Also, while watching, that was the one moment where the cut seemed too abrupt (also, the Spuhura kiss later on seemed a bit out of place without the melodrama, but not criminal).

TM2YC

Take Me To Your Cinema
Staff member
Donor
Faneditor
Reaction score
Trophy Points
Thanks for watching KumoNin and glad you liked it.

KumoNin said:
Being the nitpicker that I am though, I'll give you one: The new captain's log scene, imo, would have worked better if you'd kept the end with the 'big deal!' , as it would have kept the comedic transition to the god scene.

I thought the nonchalant "Kirk out" was a funny beat to end on but even if it wasn't the end to that deleted scene had to go. The entire crew staring at him in utter disbelief of his behaviour made Kirk look like a total jackass. I was originally not going to use that scene at all for that very reason, until I realised that with that final part removed it played just fine.

KumoNin said:
the Spuhura kiss later on seemed a bit out of place without the melodrama, but not criminal

I knew everybody would disagree with leaving that kiss in but I didn't care :D . It's a nice Human (or Vulcan) moment in the film, that I was loath to cut.

TM2YC

Take Me To Your Cinema
Staff member
Donor
Faneditor
Reaction score
Trophy Points
The fixed blu-ray is finally uploaded. PM me if you are interested.

- Sync issue fixed
- Bitrate upped to squeeze more data and image quality out of the disc (3.5gb more of the disc used)

I've now also created an NTSC-DVD-5 version, for those that want it that way. I'll upload it once I've finished streaming the US election ;) .

TM2YC

Take Me To Your Cinema
Staff member
Donor
Faneditor
Reaction score
Trophy Points
NTSC-DVD-5 version is uploaded and ready and I've begun uploading a 12gb 1080p MP4 too. I think that'll cover all bases :) .

TM2YC

Take Me To Your Cinema
Staff member
Donor
Faneditor
Reaction score
Trophy Points
12gb 1080p mp4 is now uploaded and ready too. So that's four versions to choose from in total.

bionicbob

Donor
Faneditor
Reaction score
Trophy Points
TM2YC said:
NTSC-DVD-5 version is uploaded and ready and I've begun uploading a 12gb 1080p MP4 too. I think that'll cover all bases :) .

Downloaded.

Just wanted to compliment you on a very nice menu design.   Editors that still go the extra mile to create DVDs should get high praise, as they can be frustrating beasties sometimes to design....  lol

Well done good sir!  Can't wait to watch again.  :D

rabbitscooter

Reaction score
Trophy Points
Well, I'm definitely interested in this one. Sadly, after the insightful and exhilarating Star Trek 2009 reboot, Into Darkness was a narrative and dialectical disaster. This was unfortunate because the film boasted a fine cast and stunning FX. I've been waiting for a fanedit that expunges the Spock/Uhura relationship, so disrespectful to the Uhura character, and loses story elements ("Khaaaaaaaaaaaan") which make no sense between characters that still hardly know each other. 

I'll be honest. As I think about the many, many, MANY things wrong with this film, I can barely imagine it made watchable, but fan-editors are miracle workers! So, bring it on TM2YC! I believe in you! :)

Rabbitscooter

TM2YC

Take Me To Your Cinema
Staff member
Donor
Faneditor
Reaction score
Trophy Points
bionicbob said:
Just wanted to compliment you on a very nice menu design.   Editors that still go the extra mile to create DVDs should get high praise

Good but I probably won't be doing them for future releases, storage limits being well, limited. I thought it was worth the extra mile for this project.

rabbitscooter said:
I can barely imagine it made watchable, but fan-editors are miracle workers! So, bring it on TM2YC! I believe in you!

I wouldn't get your hopes up too much. I doubt I've changed it enough to rescue the movie, if you really disliked the official version. Still, fingers crossed.

@"rabbitscooter" drew my attention to this article...

http://trekmovie.com/2012/12/05/exc...-as-tested-title-for-star-trek-into-darkness/

...where it says that "Star Trek: Vengeance" was the official Russian title for STID (or "Стартрек: Возмездие"). :cool:

TM2YC

Take Me To Your Cinema
Staff member
Donor
Faneditor
Reaction score
Trophy Points
FYI: @"parasiticgannon" has pointed out that rar parts 24 & 25 of the 1080p mp4 are corrupt, for no explicable reason  :dodgy: . I shall be recompressing that version and reloading it ASAP. So hold off from that version for now. The other versions are fine as far as I'm aware.

TM2YC

Take Me To Your Cinema
Staff member
Donor
Faneditor
Reaction score
Trophy Points
The 1080p mp4 is back and tested.

Thanks to everyone who has watched this and given some feedback. The response has been much bigger than for any edit I've done before :) .

Zarius

Faneditor
Reaction score
Trophy Points
The term Fanfix is as apt as ever, I'm a fan and this badly needed fixing. 

Funny, when it came out in 2013, I had just struck up a friendship with someone, this was a movie we went out and saw and I came out fuming at every flaw, making her feel guilty for liking it, rofl.

Now in 2016 I've just said goodbye to that friend as she's moved to New Zealand, and I find myself watching this again, and now I feel very much the way she did with the original version. I could enjoy it for the first time. Good colour grading, no distracting stripshows, no forced relationship drama, more comradery, more compassion, more connection, just more, and all from dialling back in some places.

Definitely earned a promotion. Rank: Admiral. :D

FunEditor

Reaction score
Trophy Points
The biggest dissapointment of this film was ripping off WoK. As well as removing Kirk Death Sequence, has anyone completed a fanedit of STID where Cumberbatch IS NOT KHAN? It would be good to see him as a genuine rogue Starfleet Officer opposing a militarised Starfleet.

Along with removal of Kirk Demotion & Reinstatement, Most of Carol Marcus, Bickering squabbling team and creating a stronger leader in the Kirk character.

asterixsmeagol

Donor
Faneditor
Reaction score
Trophy Points
FunEditor said:
The biggest dissapointment of this film was ripping off WoK. As well as removing Kirk Death Sequence, has anyone completed a fanedit of STID where Cumberbatch IS NOT KHAN? It would be good to see him as a genuine rogue Starfleet Officer opposing a militarised Starfleet.
This is my greatest wish.

Top Bottom