• Most new users don't bother reading our rules. Here's the one that is ignored almost immediately upon signup: DO NOT ASK FOR FANEDIT LINKS PUBLICLY. First, read the FAQ. Seriously. What you want is there. You can also send a message to the editor. If that doesn't work THEN post in the Trade & Request forum. Anywhere else and it will be deleted and an infraction will be issued.
  • If this is your first time here please read our FAQ and Rules pages. They have some useful information that will get us all off on the right foot, especially our Own the Source rule. If you do not understand any of these rules send a private message to one of our staff for further details.
  • Please read our Rules & Guidelines

Star Trek Vengeance (TM2YC FanFix of Into Darkness)

TM2YC

Take Me To Your Cinema
Staff member
Donor
Faneditor
Reaction score
Trophy Points
Artwork all done...

30382081382_ff53ed03b5_o.jpg

30498803625_21b4a7ac49_o.jpg

...and I also did an alternate cover (a reworked version of the OP teaser poster design)...

30382081892_df83c93f07_o.jpg

30498804335_7f0640b535_o.jpg

ssj

Donor
Faneditor
Reaction score
Trophy Points
sweet covers, dude!

but why is there smoke trailing from a pizza cutter?

TM2YC

Take Me To Your Cinema
Staff member
Donor
Faneditor
Reaction score
Trophy Points
ssj said:
why is there smoke trailing from a pizza cutter?

**hastily googles "Star Trek Pizza Cutter"**

...oh yes it's a reality...

dea2_enterprise_pizza_cutter_inuse.jpg

Oh and uploading is in progress so if I can get my sh*t together I'll release this edit tomorrow.

DigModiFicaTion

DᴉმWoqᴉԷᴉcɑꓕᴉou
Staff member
Faneditor
Reaction score
Trophy Points
I actually bought that for my father in law. Handle isn't very practical.

TM2YC

Take Me To Your Cinema
Staff member
Donor
Faneditor
Reaction score
Trophy Points
Edit is done and up on ifdb :) .

The TV-memory-stick/FAT32 friendly 3.45gb 720p MP4 is ready but the blu-ray (18gb 1080p Blu-Ray (Includes trailers, menus and chapter selection)) is still uploading.

If anybody just wants the mp4 let me know via PM.

TM2YC

Take Me To Your Cinema
Staff member
Donor
Faneditor
Reaction score
Trophy Points
Blu-Ray is now ready too. PM me if you are interested.

Jax20

Reaction score
Trophy Points
Really looking forward to see what you did with this one. It always felt like everything was there to make it into something interesting and I hope you succeeded.

Mike Crate

Reaction score
Trophy Points
Gotta admit I'm not a great fan of the original movie but this looks more interesting and compelling which is kinda the point of fan edits  :)

TM2YC

Take Me To Your Cinema
Staff member
Donor
Faneditor
Reaction score
Trophy Points
Wow, this seems to be one of the popular edits I've submitted. Thanks for the thoughtful and positive reviews people :) . I'll try and respond to a few points...

ironman23 said:
a few areas that left too much teal left in say the skin tones

I thought perhaps I had removed to much teal. I didn't want to completely reverse the "modern" look of this film, just fix it in places where the teal was out of control.

ironman23 said:
some banding but without distraction

For some reason the 16:9 IMAX footage on the blu-ray suffers from quite a bit of banding, so what you are seeing is maybe down to that. The regular 2.35:1 footage doesn't seem to have this banding. I wondered if I should pre-warn people of this, but thought nah, it is what it is.

dominiccobb said:
the resequenced reveal of the Enterprise emerging from the water to save Spock is sort of ruined, pacing-wise, in comparison to the original.

How so?

dominiccobb said:
there's a slight oddity because of this when Kirk says that only he can go get Harrison, but I suppose its not all that different from the original.

To be honest, now you mention it, I don't entirely understand what Kirk means by that in either cut? I probably should have tried removing it.

dominiccobb said:
More odd is the bar scene. The intention of the editing is clear, but you can't remove Pine's smile to make Kirk reaction go from feeling comforted to feeling guilty.

I'm not sure which part of the bar scene you are referring to?

dominiccobb said:
The real winner of the demotion change though is the scene in which Kirk asks Spock why he saved him which is expertly done and really frames their relationship in this film very well.

Great. That's one my favourite edits in the project. I think it turns what was just a joke, into a meaningful moment for them both.

dominiccobb said:
Spock's handling of his emotions is a big through line in the original and here, with a key scene being his discussion with Uhura on the ship en route to Kronos. That scene is cut here, mostly because of what it does to Uhura's character. Watching, the edit is, of course, seamless, and helps keep the film going at a breakneck pace. Problem is, though, once the film has come full circle and Spock is watching Kirk die, the emotional through line kind of falls apart. The scene on the ship is crucial not just to establish and deepen Spock's handling of his feelings post-Vulcan, but also to have a pause in the action for some depth, and to remind us where the characters are coming from emotionally.

True. It does have some really great dialogue and emotional stuff for Spock (where he bears his soul), that I hated cutting. But to have Uhura bring up this argument just as they begin a dangerous mission behind enemy lines was too insane to tolerate. I wish that scene had happened just after Niburu, where it would have worked beautifully.

dominiccobb said:
Uhura kissing Spock after they get back on the Enterprise just seems contextless and random.

I know and I knew some people wouldn't like that scene being left in... but I decided I didn't care :D . It's just a really nice moment and brings a bit of warmth and humanity into the film that I would have missed. Again the point for that scene should have been post Niburu IMO. Imagine if Uhura had come running into the transporter and kissed Spock in the same way, then maybe hugged him and got scorched off of his volcano-suit, ending the scene on a comedy note.

dominiccobb said:
the relequencing of Bones's super-blood discovery... It's so simple, really, and the changes are actually quite subtle, but what's done here is the final bit of the climax has been given a much needed boost of excitement and tension and plain heroism.

I amazed myself with how well that worked. It's a lesson I'll take forward. Sometimes you don't need to remove anything, or significantly change much, just playing things in a different order can radically improve a sequence.

dominiccobb said:
Kirk's shirt almost green in the first scene

The Captain's log scene? It is a bit on the green side perhaps. I think that's the original grade IIRC and I left it as is. I should have done something to improve it.

jax20 said:
I really recommend it as the definitive version of the film (forget the other one)

Thanks. I usually intended my fanedits to be nothing more than fun alternate versions. But with this project, I fully intended it to be a permanent replacement for me. This is my first ever 1080p fanedit for this reason.

digmodification said:
TM2YC's visual editing is seamless. Added components such as smoke overlays, new title sequences, removal of ships, etc. are completely natural looking as if they always occurred in the film. This is a textbook example. The color grade is fantastic. I find that I am noticing more in this film because of the more accurate coloring. There may be a bit too much yellow for my eyes, but this is far superior to the official release.

That's all really good to hear.

digmodification said:
during the ending of Pike's chastising of Kirk... The audio switch used to end the scene feels a bit off due to the same cue being heard in the following scene.

Yeah on reflection, I should have tried harder to find an alternate cue for that moment. It works beautifully in isolation but is repetitive when so close to the next scene.

digmodification said:
One area that doesn't seem to fit the narrative is Pike's line "It's going to be ok son" around the 20 minute mark. Since there is no demotion, this line doesn't feel right or needed.

I did experiment with removing that line (and it went seamlessly) but I decided it was a badly needed line to establish the father-son type relationship, which informs Kirk's devastion and initial fury at Pike's death in the next scene. It really cements how much Pike's approval/disapproval means to Kirk. I could have just relied on people having watched ST09 to be familiar with that relationship dynamic but I don't like to do that when possible. Fanedits should have all the information needed to understand them, just like real films.

digmodification said:
Certain dialogue such as Spock's line about encurring the rage of Uhura doesn't quite make sense without the lovers quarrel scene that was excised.

I didn't think so. Uhura is a strong willed and formidable character (which is why I wanted to remove all the material of her acting like an emotional train wreck :D ) and this is a piece of true and amusing advice from Spock to Kirk.

digmodification said:
I had hoped that Kirk's death could have received a more believable resolution. This is no fault of TM2YC as the source material does not allow for such at the moment.

It's relatively easy to re-edit the last act to leave Kirk dead (I've tried it before) because the ceremony can be seamlessly re-tooled into a funeral and Kirk's voiceover can reused as a ghostly voice from beyond the grave going into the end titles (Just like Nomoy does in Wrath of Khan). Hopefully somebody else will do another fanedit with that type of ending.

bionicbob

Donor
Faneditor
Reaction score
Trophy Points
Watched and thoroughly enjoyed this edit.  Will post a review soon.

In the meantime....
vQ6elkR.jpg

DigModiFicaTion

DᴉმWoqᴉԷᴉcɑꓕᴉou
Staff member
Faneditor
Reaction score
Trophy Points
Thanks for taking the time to respond to our reviews TM2YC! It's like having personalized commentaries :)

As for the ending, I had hoped for a similar conclusion, but with a more believable resurrection. You handled it fine, I was just hoping for some magic to occur  :)

Seeing how well you did, I may try to create a Kahnless version of this film.

ironman23

Faneditor
Reaction score
Trophy Points
DigModiFicaTion said:
Seeing how well you did, I may try to create a Kahnless version of this film

Quite a big task there, but nonetheless I believe it is achievable  :)  I would be curious to see how you tackle that concept

DominicCobb

Staff member
Faneditor
Reaction score
Trophy Points
TM2YC said:
dominiccobb said:
the resequenced reveal of the Enterprise emerging from the water to save Spock is sort of ruined, pacing-wise, in comparison to the original.

How so?

Putting the two native scenes together (though I get why you did it) slows the action down a bit too much.

TM2YC said:
dominiccobb said:
there's a slight oddity because of this when Kirk says that only he can go get Harrison, but I suppose its not all that different from the original.

To be honest, now you mention it, I don't entirely understand what Kirk means by that in either cut? I probably should have tried removing it.

Yeah, writing about it in the review I realized it didn't make sense really in either. But I guess I never thought of it in the theatrical because he had been demoted so since he wasn't a Captain he had some leeway? I don't know, but I never thought of it till now. 

TM2YC said:
dominiccobb said:
More odd is the bar scene. The intention of the editing is clear, but you can't remove Pine's smile to make Kirk reaction go from feeling comforted to feeling guilty.

Pike says "it's going to be okay, son," and Kirk smiles. In the theatrical it makes sense because though he was demoted in the last scene, in this one Pike makes hims his first officer so he's feeling comforted. But in Vengeance, the last scene he wasn't demoted, just chewed out, and this scene Pike is basically saying "this is serious, you need to get your shit in order." So even though his last line is saying "you can do it," Kirk should mostly feel guilty. Which is why it's a shame Chris Pine's smile is not removable.

TM2YC

Take Me To Your Cinema
Staff member
Donor
Faneditor
Reaction score
Trophy Points
DominicCobb said:
TM2YC said:

Pike says "it's going to be okay, son," and Kirk smiles. In the theatrical it makes sense because though he was demoted in the last scene, in this one Pike makes hims his first officer so he's feeling comforted. But in Vengeance, the last scene he wasn't demoted, just chewed out, and this scene Pike is basically saying "this is serious, you need to get your shit in order." So even though his last line is saying "you can do it," Kirk should mostly feel guilty. Which is why it's a shame Chris Pine's smile is not removable.

Do you mean the little smile Kirk has to himself, just as the scene ends? I think it works. He's happy that Pike hasn't lost all faith in him. It could be removed but I don't think I'd want to.

DominicCobb

Staff member
Faneditor
Reaction score
Trophy Points
TM2YC said:
DominicCobb said:
TM2YC said:

Do you mean the little smile Kirk has to himself, just as the scene ends? I think it works. He's happy that Pike hasn't lost all faith in him. It could be removed but I don't think I'd want to.

Yeah, that's it. I personally don't think it quite works but it's nothing major.

TM2YC

Take Me To Your Cinema
Staff member
Donor
Faneditor
Reaction score
Trophy Points
Oh yeah I forgot to say, nice poster there @"bionicbob" . It's some of the same photos of the crew I used (I think it's an Empire magazine shoot? IIRC). It was so hard to find decent photos from STID for some reason.

bionicbob

Donor
Faneditor
Reaction score
Trophy Points
TM2YC said:

I thought it worked.  I interpreted as..... Dad is very disappointed but he still loves me.... it ends on a hopeful beat, which I liked.

TM2YC

Take Me To Your Cinema
Staff member
Donor
Faneditor
Reaction score
Trophy Points
Zarius said:
Congrats on finishing :)

Thanks Zarius and thanks for the recent review @"bionicbob".

I wasn't sure what to make of the audio-sync issues mentioned in a couple of reviews as they seemed to point to slightly different areas and when I checked they all looked and sounded fine to me. But bionicbob mentioned the issue being the Scotty scene, which tied into what ironman23 said.

I recently found out Vegas has a neat little sync-check option, I just looked into it using that tool and sure enough there is a 3-frame sync problem from the start of the Shuttle-Argument scene (00.30.34), until the end of the Scotty-Resigns scene (00.34.31). I've randomly sampled a few points throughout the entire edit and so far it's all perfectly synced. However, I'm going to go back and check every edit to be sure. This means I'll be replacing the current versions (720p-MP4 & 1080p-Blu-Ray in that order) in the next few days, to a week.

Sorry to have wasted peoples time (and blank discs). Bugger. :(

p.s. It still looks and sounds fine to me, even when I've proved to myself it's there... maybe I've slipped out of phase with reality or something (Been watching too much TNG).

By the way... I just found a load more deleted scenes that aren't on the blu-rays  :mad: (No idea where they are from?). None of them are really use able but still cool to see...

Top Bottom