• Most new users don't bother reading our rules. Here's the one that is ignored almost immediately upon signup: DO NOT ASK FOR FANEDIT LINKS PUBLICLY. First, read the FAQ. Seriously. What you want is there. You can also send a message to the editor. If that doesn't work THEN post in the Trade & Request forum. Anywhere else and it will be deleted and an infraction will be issued.
  • If this is your first time here please read our FAQ and Rules pages. They have some useful information that will get us all off on the right foot, especially our Own the Source rule. If you do not understand any of these rules send a private message to one of our staff for further details.
  • Please read our Rules & Guidelines

Star Trek Vengeance (TM2YC FanFix of Into Darkness)

TM2YC

Take Me To Your Cinema
Staff member
Donor
Faneditor
Reaction score
Trophy Points
I had some solid ideas for a fanfix of 'Star Trek Into Darkness' soon after it came out but I never got round to working on them before (Aside from a few test clips more than a year ago). Since seeing and loving 'Star Trek Beyond' I got the urge to revisit these ideas and create my ideal version of STID. Don't get me wrong, I like STID a lot but for me, it's got many fixable flaws.

I call it... STAR TREK VENGEANCE

(^ Click image for full res poster)

...because Khan is out for vengeance on Admiral Marcus and the Federation, Kirk is out for Vengeance on Khan for the death of Pike, Admiral Marcus is out for vengeance on Khan, Spock is out for vengeance on Khan for killing kirk... and the warship is called 'Vengeance' too.

Here are some general goals I mentioned in my ideas thread...

TM2YC said:
- Fix Uhura's character. She is really badly served in STID. She is unable to control her emotions in many scenes and shots, as if she wasn't a Starfleet professional (Including on dangerous away missions). If possible, I may go so far as have her not fall out with Spock at all. That would save a lot of moaning at Spock and saying things like "You didn't feel anything" as if she's never noticed he was a Vulcan.
- Have Kirk be dead at the end because his death is rather pointless otherwise. To satisfy canon I may have a post credits scene hinting as his revival.
- Cut Dr Marcus down to a minimum and improve her character. I can't do much to fix Alice Eve's absolutely appalling acting though.
- Regrade the film to be closer to ST09 (Less blue tint)
- Remove old Spock. Sorry folks and sorry Nimoy but your cameo was not needed here.
- Kirk will not be demoted. Like with his death, it's meaningless when the movie reverses it 5 minutes later. I'm pretty sure I can pull it off with a few scenes rearranged.
- Fix up Kirk and Spock's relationship. It shouldn't be so strained and negative.

A short test clip of a scene with much Uhura overacting removed, plus dialogue trimmed and shots rearranged. Here and in other surrounding scenes I've tried to keep the dialogue focused on the pirme directive without over explaining it to much...

(password: fanedit.org)

A rough test I did messing around with various Vegas settings to try and create a new titlecard that has a similar "glitz-level" to the standard JJ-Trek titlecard. It's beginning to take shape quite well I think...

(It's lacking any starfield-type background and ignore the weird bit round the edges of the frame)

...and a new video showing how I've heavily reworked the Meeting-Attack scene to incorporate elements from the deleted scenes...

(password: fanedit.org)

- Some but not all deleted footage is used and I've worked it in differently
- Greater emphasis on Pike at all times. Now much more clearly, we see all Kirk's efforts are to try and save him.
- The second half of the video isn't edited much but I uploaded it for some context
- Colour grade isn't done and timecodes are still there
- Much sound editing and music remixing has been. Hopefully the scene doesn't feel like that.

More details soon :) .

P.S. I haven't abandoned my other Star Trek edit, I just want to work on this first while the proverbial iron is hot or something.

Canon Editor

Reaction score
Trophy Points
This looks really interesting, even though I have not seen the original yet.  Good luck!!!

SkywalkerFan01

Reaction score
Trophy Points
UdxFHgm.gif

Edit: Based off of the footage, it seems you're keeping the IMAX shots. This pleases me.

thecuddlyninja

Staff member
Faneditor
Reaction score
Trophy Points
Yes, please.

I like the idea of keeping continuity so I hope you keep something to imply the Kirk revival. The less Dr. Marcus the better, which helps continuity anyway.

Hopefully you can make it feel a bit more optimistic somehow, I like a lot about it as is, though.

Smithers

Faneditor
Reaction score
Trophy Points
Cool! I had ripped my own bluray of this to edit in the future but then ironman23 started executing my ideas and you put together a nice cutlist and a cool title. Looking forward to both!

TM2YC

Take Me To Your Cinema
Staff member
Donor
Faneditor
Reaction score
Trophy Points
Thanks for the encouragement one and all.

SkywalkerFan01 said:
it seems you're keeping the IMAX shots. This pleases me.

Yes. Luckily some of the deleted material is also IMAX.

Smithers said:
I had ripped my own bluray of this to edit in the future but then ironman23 started executing my ideas

Given that it's somewhat divisive among ST fans... I'm still surprised that (Unless I'm mistaken) nobody here, has so far completed a STID edit.

thecuddlyninja said:
I like the idea of keeping continuity so I hope you keep something to imply the Kirk revival.

It'll probably just be a short post credits use of the Tribble scene. In my original test, I did add a "The Enterprise crew will return in Star Trek XIII: The Search For Kirk" titlecard (This was before STB was announced) but I've not decided if I'll still do that. You'd have to imagine there was a lost film between STID and STB ;) .

thecuddlyninja said:
The less Dr. Marcus the better

Indeed. I was editing the first scene aboard the Enterprise today and I spotted this...

Alice Eve can't even act like a top Starfleet scientist when she's standing around in the back of shot. I've probably ruined this scene for myself now :D .

Scar

Donor
Reaction score
Trophy Points
Very much looking forward to seeing what you do with this.

TM2YC

Take Me To Your Cinema
Staff member
Donor
Faneditor
Reaction score
Trophy Points
I need to change "Commander" to "Captain" in this scene. Here is a short clip to illustrate (Original first and then my rough placement)...

I've downloaded Audacity and tried some settings but can't seem to hit on the exact right ones to make the "Captain" dialogue sound like the rest of Spock's communicator chatter. I guess it wants to sound like it was an old-fashioned telephone call?

Any advice on this would be great.

By the way... in the scene right after this I just noticed that Scotty still calls Kirk "Captain". They must have forgotten to redub Pegg's line :D .

DigModiFicaTion

DᴉმWoqᴉԷᴉcɑꓕᴉou
Staff member
Faneditor
Reaction score
Trophy Points
In solving the issues about Kirk dying and continuity with the new film, could you just not have Kirk die? Just have him suffer from massive radiation poisoning, cut some lines by Scotty, and just have him pass out? Sure it wouldn't mirror the original ST II, but this series is about adding a twist to familiar themes and events. I liked this film, but his death and resurrection in under 10 minutes or so was very forced and contrived.

TM2YC

Take Me To Your Cinema
Staff member
Donor
Faneditor
Reaction score
Trophy Points
DigModiFicaTion said:
could you just not have Kirk die? Just have him suffer from massive radiation poisoning, cut some lines by Scotty, and just have him pass out?

I can't see ow that'd work but I'm open to suggestions.

DigModiFicaTion

DᴉმWoqᴉԷᴉcɑꓕᴉou
Staff member
Faneditor
Reaction score
Trophy Points
TM2YC said:
I can't see ow that'd work but I'm open to suggestions.

I'll watch the surrounding scenes and see if I can come up with some ideas. It's not such an issue to me really, but I love a good challenge :)

Canon Editor

Reaction score
Trophy Points
I was editing the first scene aboard the Enterprise today and I spotted this...

Alice Eve can't even act like a top Starfleet scientist when she's standing around in the back of shot. I've probably ruined this scene for myself now :D .

That is… quite imbarassing…

TM2YC

Take Me To Your Cinema
Staff member
Donor
Faneditor
Reaction score
Trophy Points
Here is my re-edit of the bar scene. As Kirk is no longer demoted, it's just focused on Pike building Kirk back up (in a fatherly way) after he knocked him down in the office scene...

(Password: fanedit.org)

Here is the original just for comparison...

ironman23

Faneditor
Reaction score
Trophy Points
Wow, tbh I might just to give my blessings to you, since you're basically doing a much better version of my edit in the works :) seriously, everything looks so much better executed and more professional, good work!

DigModiFicaTion

DᴉმWoqᴉԷᴉcɑꓕᴉou
Staff member
Faneditor
Reaction score
Trophy Points
TM2YC said:
I need to change "Commander" to "Captain" in this scene. Here is a short clip to illustrate (Original first and then my rough placement)...

I've downloaded Audacity and tried some settings but can't seem to hit on the exact right ones to make the "Captain" dialogue sound like the rest of Spock's communicator chatter. I guess it wants to sound like it was an old-fashioned telephone call?

Any advice on this would be great.

By the way... in the scene right after this I just noticed that Scotty still calls Kirk "Captain". They must have forgotten to redub Pegg's line :D .

I can work on it for you. I had to do some extensive edits to make Kylo Ren's voice for my SW edit. Part of the process involved making the voice sound like a speaker. I'll send you or post a version after messing with it.

D you know the timestamp of Spock's captain linr you use?

TM2YC

Take Me To Your Cinema
Staff member
Donor
Faneditor
Reaction score
Trophy Points
DigModiFicaTion said:
I can work on it for you. I had to do some extensive edits to make Kylo Ren's voice for my SW edit. Part of the process involved making the voice sound like a speaker. I'll send you or post a version after messing with it.

D you know the timestamp of Spock's captain linr you use?

Thanks. The time stamp is 00.22.16 as Spock greats Kirk walking across the Starfleet atrium (From the center channel).

ironman23 said:
Wow, tbh I might just to give my blessings to you...

Don't give up on your edit. Everybody has different tastes, so the more edits the merrier :)

ironman23

Faneditor
Reaction score
Trophy Points
Thank you, I really appreciate hearing that :)

TM2YC

Take Me To Your Cinema
Staff member
Donor
Faneditor
Reaction score
Trophy Points
I had completed the editing on the office scene (to remove Kirk being demoted) but I decided I didn't like it. It accomplished the goal alright but I realised I need to cut out more of Kirk argueing with Pike, in order to show his respect for the Admiral and also his shame at letting him down.

So I scrapped it and re-edited it from scratch. I've also included my reworking of the Spock/Kirk scene...

(Password: fanedit.org)

- These two scenes now fall just before the bombing and bar scenes
- The only bit of arguing I left in was Kirk defending his actions on the basis that he wanted to save his friend (Because that's important)
- There is much audio and video rediting (and a VisFX tweak) but hopefull that stuff isn't noticeable
- Hopefully the lift scene now serves to defuse the tension between Kirk and Spock (from the office scene) as I reworked things so the final shot lingers on Spock considering if his actions were correct (At least I hope it conveys that)

Again here is the original for comparison (from about 1.47)...

Top Bottom