• Most new users don't bother reading our rules. Here's the one that is ignored almost immediately upon signup: DO NOT ASK FOR FANEDIT LINKS PUBLICLY. First, read the FAQ. Seriously. What you want is there. You can also send a message to the editor. If that doesn't work THEN post in the Trade & Request forum. Anywhere else and it will be deleted and an infraction will be issued.
  • If this is your first time here please read our FAQ and Rules pages. They have some useful information that will get us all off on the right foot, especially our Own the Source rule. If you do not understand any of these rules send a private message to one of our staff for further details.
  • Please read our Rules & Guidelines

Star Trek: Tomorrow The Universe

The Warlord

Faneditor
Reaction score
Trophy Points
ecGdXCU.png

Probably the only TOS episode that fits my idea, this fan edit provides an alternate take on the events in 'Patterns of Force', suggesting Kirk and Spock go back in time to 'correct' the damage John Gill made, using the Guardian of Forever. Rather than being in the present, Kirk and Spock journey into the past to assess the damage their Federation associate has done, and 'repair' said damage.

We open with a nuclear space war going on between both Ekos and Zeon, with Gill assumed dead, essentially the Teaser as is. We end the episode with Kirk and Spock having 'restored' the timeline, with both planets back to being in a state of peace. The implication being, as per the original episode, that Gill's presence started the war.

Major edits:

New opening/closing credit cards.
Season Three Main Title Theme replaces Season Two version.
Opening Teaser now has a 'Spock's Brain' cue replace the original opening cue.
Some of the opening moments of Act I have now been pushed forward into the teaser.
A newly pieced together Captain’s Log opens Act I.
Various music alterations.
Footage from 'The City on the Edge of Forever' is used, including the Guardian planet, Kirk and Spock arriving the other side, and stealing clothes.
All references/appearances of the Enterprise or McCoy from 'Patterns of Force' footage have been cut, apart from the Teaser and final scene.
(Interestingly enough, in the original episode, McCoy's presence on the planet towards the end of the original episode serves only to give an initial medical assessment of Gill. Thereafter, he is just in the background.)
The sub plot of attempting to get the communicators repaired, has been cut.
All references to Kirk knowing Gill personally, including Spock's response that he never met Gill himself.
The jail break scene with the rubidium crystals, has been heavily truncated.
McCoy's line regarding Starfleet trying to contact Gill for 'six months' has been removed.
Act III ends later now, instead closing on Kirk's desperate plea to Gill, to come out of his drugged state.
The final Act, predominantly Gill's two speeches, has been heavily edited to remove McCoy's presence.
The closing sequence has been re-edited, using shots from other episodes, predominantly because the Enterprise is now departing the Guardian planet instead of Ekos.
The preview for the next originally-broadcast episode, "By Any Other Name" is included before the end credits.

Standard structure of TOS.

36 minutes approx.

TV's Frink

You Catch On Pretty Quick
Staff member
Donor
Faneditor
Reaction score
Trophy Points
Please don't make multiple threads for the same project.  Is this intended to be submitted for approval once finished?  Your answer determines which thread I need to delete and which to keep.

The Warlord

Faneditor
Reaction score
Trophy Points
Hey, sorry! It's in the works at the moment and is only a VOB quality edit. I would like it be approved, but it depends how professional looking it turns out to be. Which place is the thread best located in?

TV's Frink

You Catch On Pretty Quick
Staff member
Donor
Faneditor
Reaction score
Trophy Points
This is the right one, Workprints and Previews is for stuff that isn't planned to be submitted.  To be fair to you, that's not terribly clear, but next time if you aren't sure PM a staff member instead of making two threads.  I'll delete the other thread.

Thanks.

The Warlord

Faneditor
Reaction score
Trophy Points
If anyone's interested in viewing this, please let me know, and I'll upload the edit, and provide links.
Thanks.

The Warlord

Faneditor
Reaction score
Trophy Points
I've come back to this edit, and will be back to working on it soon. Top post updated. Mods - can you please move thread to In-The-Works.

DigModiFicaTion

DᴉმWoqᴉԷᴉcɑꓕᴉou
Staff member
Faneditor
Reaction score
Trophy Points
Thread moved back to ITW at request of editor. Happy editing! :)

The Warlord

Faneditor
Reaction score
Trophy Points
Zarius is kindly having a preview look at this, before I publish to the site. The edit is a little shy of 40 minutes.

Zarius

Faneditor
Reaction score
Trophy Points
I'm six minutes in and this is certainly ambitious. :)

John Gill name drop on Kirk's log reminded me of this

The Warlord

Faneditor
Reaction score
Trophy Points
Zarius said:
I'm six minutes in and this is certainly ambitious. :)

John Gill name drop on Kirk's log reminded me of this

Oh how I scoured the episode, seeking the most appropriate version of Mr Shat's pronouncing "John Gill!" to fit the Capt. Log!! ;)

Zarius

Faneditor
Reaction score
Trophy Points
Other than a few quick cuts at the start, I didn't notice anything else that annoyed me, transitions were smooth, nothing came at me hard etc (watch that become a highlight of the out-of-context thread), overall you made a very simple and enjoyable alternative :D

The Warlord

Faneditor
Reaction score
Trophy Points
Zarius said:
watch that become a highlight of the out-of-context thread)
Do you mean the Mr Black/John Gill thing?

Thanks for your input, friend. I'll submit to the database.

DigModiFicaTion

DᴉმWoqᴉԷᴉcɑꓕᴉou
Staff member
Faneditor
Reaction score
Trophy Points
Thread moved to Fixes, Mixes & TV. Congrats @"The Warlord" on finishing another project.

Zarius

Faneditor
Reaction score
Trophy Points
Edit on IFDB and Review written :cool:

Top Bottom