• Most new users don't bother reading our rules. Here's the one that is ignored almost immediately upon signup: DO NOT ASK FOR FANEDIT LINKS PUBLICLY. First, read the FAQ. Seriously. What you want is there. You can also send a message to the editor. If that doesn't work THEN post in the Trade & Request forum. Anywhere else and it will be deleted and an infraction will be issued.
  • If this is your first time here please read our FAQ and Rules pages. They have some useful information that will get us all off on the right foot, especially our Own the Source rule. If you do not understand any of these rules send a private message to one of our staff for further details.
  • Please read our Rules & Guidelines

Star Trek: The Next Generation

grayson

Reaction score
Trophy Points
asterixsmeagol said:
I love the series, but the pacing is slow. You just have to adjust your expectations and remember that it's a product of the 80s.

I was wondering if there were any fan-edits out there.

grayson

Reaction score
Trophy Points
grayson said:
asterixsmeagol said:
I love the series, but the pacing is slow. You just have to adjust your expectations and remember that it's a product of the 80s.

I was wondering if there were any fan-edits out there.

Also, the  pacing  has nothing to do with it being  from  the 80s

Omaru1982

Reaction score
Trophy Points
I feel you, I've got the box set on blu ray with the upscaled transfers and reworked CG effects and they really ut a lot of thought into it, but at the same time what seemed hi-tec to me as a kid now looks campy and even some of the character traits seems outdated.

I manage to watch about one a week and I really do keep meaning to up my game, I've had the box set for over a year but am only on season 3. That said I've noticed some improvements in the stories for season 3 so maybe now I'm just getting to the more consistently better stuff? I'm looking forward to watching first contact eventually as well, but I have strictly forbade myself before finishing the series.

grayson

Reaction score
Trophy Points
Omaru1982 said:
I feel you, I've got the box set on blu ray with the upscaled transfers and reworked CG effects and they really ut a lot of thought into it, but at the same time what seemed hi-tec to me as a kid now looks campy and even some of the character traits seems outdated.

I manage to watch about one a week and I really do keep meaning to up my game, I've had the box set for over a year but am only on season 3. That said I've noticed some improvements in the stories for season 3 so maybe now I'm just getting to the more consistently better stuff? I'm looking forward to watching first contact eventually as well, but I have strictly forbade myself before finishing the series.

you should do a fan edit hahahahaha i would love to see one

DigModiFicaTion

DᴉმWoqᴉԷᴉcɑꓕᴉou
Staff member
Faneditor
Reaction score
Trophy Points
The first few seasons are kind of a staff, but once the characters are allowed to expand and be focused on, the show has some rich depth to it's story telling. I personally prefer a bit slower movement in story telling as the added air allows the story to breath and feel more natural.

grayson

Reaction score
Trophy Points
DigModiFicaTion said:
The first few seasons are kind of a staff, but once the characters are allowed to expand and be focused on, the show has some rich depth to it's story telling. I personally prefer a bit slower movement in story telling as the added air allows the story to breath and feel more natural.
So do I  don’t mind when something takes its time but I  don’t know what it is with this show I  really like data and geordi by I can never get past the first few episodes. a fan  edit  would be cool

Gaith

Faneditor
Reaction score
Trophy Points
grayson said:
I  really want to get into the series but I  find the pacing quite slow. Any recommendations on how to remedy this?

You've got to click on the individual (multi-episode) pages, but The AV Club has excellent, in-depth reviews of the whole series. So, you could decide to only watch, say, episodes Zack Handlen graded B+ or above until you start to genuinely like the show (and it is pretty mediocre in its first two years). Or, you could search for any of the countless Top 10 episode lists online, and start with those.

Beyond that, without you offering a bit more of your perspective, it's hard to guess what you're looking for. In terms of straight-up space thrills and excitement, if "Q Who", "The Best of Both Worlds", and "Yesterday's Enterprise" don't do it for you, TNG as a whole is probably not your thing.  ;)

grayson

Reaction score
Trophy Points
I  found a list of  57  essential episodes I’m going to  binge-watch over  the next week I’ll check back in  a few  days

Omaru1982

Reaction score
Trophy Points
grayson said:
you should do a fan edit hahahahaha i would love to see one

I've never edited anything in my life. I just watch, review and sometimes share input on a very very basic level.

I don't think there's much that could be done with TNG to be honest there isn't much in the way of story progression. A crew member dies at the end of season 1 and the doctor is replaced in season 2, only to be bought back in season 3.. I don't know of any overall long arcs outside of the occasional two parter.

The season 3 finale and season 4 opener is already included as a feature length unabridged movie on the discs too (actually looking forward to reaching that in a few months time ;) )

DigModiFicaTion

DᴉმWoqᴉԷᴉcɑꓕᴉou
Staff member
Faneditor
Reaction score
Trophy Points
Omaru1982 said:
The season 3 finale and season 4 opener is already included as a feature length unabridged movie on the discs too (actually looking forward to reaching that in a few months time ;) )

Which box set do you have? I thought the feature presentation of those two part episodes was only available as a separate purchase. I have this box set but just end up streaming it on prime. Maybe this will give me a reason to pull it down off the shelf.

51mOY7mKJGL._AC_SY780_.jpg

grayson

Reaction score
Trophy Points
DigModiFicaTion said:
Omaru1982 said:

Which box set do you have? I thought the feature presentation of those two part episodes was only available as a separate purchase. I have this box set but just end up streaming it on prime. Maybe this will give me a reason to pull it down off the shelf.

51mOY7mKJGL._AC_SY780_.jpg

I just stream it but I might have to get it for a fan edit. What episodes  would be good maybe some  borg  stuff

Omaru1982

Reaction score
Trophy Points
It's The Full Journey, but now that I have looked into it  I can't seem to find any source to verify it so I probably read a bogus review.

TV's Frink

You Catch On Pretty Quick
Staff member
Donor
Faneditor
Reaction score
Trophy Points
Threads merged.

Jrzag42

Faneditor
Reaction score
Trophy Points
I was thinking the other day about wanting to check out TNG, but I'm not great at committing to long shows. I happened to find this forum post (https://www.trekbbs.com/threads/my-guide-to-the-major-arcs-of-tng.268657/), and I like the idea of watching episodes that contribute to bigger plotlines. I was wondering if one of the experts here could weigh in on whether this is an alright list for a beginner to get into the show.

bionicbob

Donor
Faneditor
Reaction score
Trophy Points
jrWHAG42 said:
I was thinking the other day about wanting to check out TNG, but I'm not great at committing to long shows. I happened to find this forum post (https://www.trekbbs.com/threads/my-guide-to-the-major-arcs-of-tng.268657/), and I like the idea of watching episodes that contribute to bigger plotlines. I was wondering if one of the experts here could weigh in on whether this is an alright list for a beginner to get into the show.

This is an excellent watch list if you are only focused Character Development or Event Mythology episodes.

But some of the best episodes have nothing to do with either.  But definitely a great starting point.  And if you like what you see, you can go back and watch other episodes.   But be warned, Next Gen does not really get great until Season Three.  There was a ton of behind the scenes chaos those first two seasons... lots of writers, producers, showrunners... it took a while for the tone and style to solidify.  But seasons 3-6 are fantastic.

Jrzag42

Faneditor
Reaction score
Trophy Points
bionicbob said:
jrWHAG42 said:

This is an excellent watch list if you are only focused Character Development or Event Mythology episodes.

But some of the best episodes have nothing to do with either.  But definitely a great starting point.  And if you like what you see, you can go back and watch other episodes.   But be warned, Next Gen does not really get great until Season Three.  There was a ton of behind the scenes chaos those first two seasons... lots of writers, producers, showrunners... it took a while for the tone and style to solidify.  But seasons 3-6 are fantastic.
Thanks Bob! That's what I was thinking, that I could always go back and watch some of the episodes that I missed. I have definitely heard about how the first couple of seasons aren't great, and I've been recommended to skip right to season 3, but I still want to give them a chance.

bionicbob

Donor
Faneditor
Reaction score
Trophy Points
DigModiFicaTion said:
bionicbob said:
seasons 3-7 are fantastic.

FTFY ;)

:p
Seriously though, while still better than most of seasons one and two, for me, season seven is a decline in quality, as many of the best writers had moved on to other projects or DS9 and even VOY pre-production.  But there is no doubt, it has one of the BEST series finales ever.

asterixsmeagol

Donor
Faneditor
Reaction score
Trophy Points
I still liked Season 7 a lot, but I agree that Season 6 marks the high point. I'd still put 7 on part with Seasons 4 or 5.

grayson

Reaction score
Trophy Points
Hey everyone, just a little update to my star trek journey. I followed a list of essential episodes and I love the show

Top Bottom